(DEAD) Star Trek Original Motion Picture Blu-Ray Collection $34.99 - need opinions

grundy

CAGiversary!
I wasn't sure where to post this, but currently Amazon has the Star Trek Original Motion Picture (I-VI) Blu-Ray Collection on sale for $34.99

I am VERY tempted to bite at this price, but I've been reading some pretty terrible reviews.

Just wanted to see if they are indeed accurate or if someone unleashed a horde of trolls upon Amazon

What exactly are people complaining about, the picture quality? I picked this up last summer and don't remember there being any real noticeable issues. I mean, it's not a stunning remastered picture like, for example, the Star Wars original trilogy blu-rays, but they look perfectly fine. I say definitely get it if you are on the fence.

Horrible reviews of I, III and V? Because those are indeed terrible movies. As far as picture quality and sound, all I've ever read is that these movies look and sound the best they ever have, especially the remastered TWOK. There also don't appear to be any plans for another set any time soon.

I picked this up this morning. I've been wanting it for a while, and this is the lowest it's been.

[quote name='Ispep Aloc']I don't recall any glaring issues. At about $5 per movie, really not much to lose.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same, until I remembered that 2,4 & 7 were the ones I really liked. Star Trek V: The Search For God was awful and the part 1 could be shortened by about 2 hours (the 30min fly around the Enterprise is a bit much).

At the same time, I do really like box sets and don't have any of the movies.

The main complaint i've heard is that these are not the directors cuts, special edition cuts that were released on DVD awhile back.

Here is another in the "Buy it" column: Walmart has the DVD version for the exact same price. It ain't getting any cheaper.

EDIT: And their BR version is $55

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, it looks like the price jumped back to the $79.99 price today. Guess that $35 will have to go to Far Cry 3 instead :lol:

[quote name='grundy']Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, it looks like the price jumped back to the $79.99 price today. Guess that $35 will have to go to Far Cry 3 instead :lol:[/QUOTE]It was a Deal Of The Day, so it did go back up at 3AM ET / 12AM PT this morning.

Should have jumped on it when you had the chance, as it wasn't going to be cheaper than that price for quite some time.

It's not the first time they've had that set up for the deal of the day. They'll probably offer it around that price point again if you wait.

[quote name='BGPu']It's not the first time they've had that set up for the deal of the day. They'll probably offer it around that price point again if you wait.[/QUOTE]

True dat. We might see a sale again the week of May 15th when Star Trek Into Darkness releases.

[quote name='simmias']Horrible reviews of I, III and V? Because those are indeed terrible movies. As far as picture quality and sound, all I've ever read is that these movies look and sound the best they ever have, especially the remastered TWOK. There also don't appear to be any plans for another set any time soon.

I picked this up this morning. I've been wanting it for a while, and this is the lowest it's been.[/QUOTE]

Hey now, Star Trek 3 is just stupid and really bad. If they did another script rewrite it would have been an OK movie. Star Trek 1 and 5 are horrid beyond belief. I've been buying them on DVD for really cheap used, $1.25 to $3 and the most expensive ones are 1-3-5 because they suck and no one bought them to resell them. :lol:

[quote name='sassylaurie']I was thinking the same, until I remembered that 2,4 & 7 were the ones I really liked. Star Trek V: The Search For God was awful and the part 1 could be shortened by about 2 hours (the 30min fly around the Enterprise is a bit much).

At the same time, I do really like box sets and don't have any of the movies.[/QUOTE]

You like 7? That movie was a mess, how many times do ships need to be screwed over with shield codes for Starfleet to realize maybe it shouldn't be posted in plain sight?

Plus there was so many plot holes, it was incredible.

2 and 6 are the best movies, masterpieces.

bread's done
Back