[Dead] Star Wars: The Complete Saga [Blu-ray] - $70.49 shipped at Amazon

I'd love to jump on it because it's a decent price, but I really hate the artwork for the complete. It's only like $6 more currently to get the good art for both.

The individual sets have 3 less discs covering all the documentaries, which are the main reason to get the complete set if you're a SW fan. If they sold the docs separately I would have just bought the original trilogy as I don't care about the prequels at all. Still, I'm personally waiting till this is around $50. I'm in no rush

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the artwork. It's really not that bad. The inside art is also really good and more appropriate for the specific movies. I own the set and am VERY happy with it. It is super sturdy and feels like it protects the movies well despite only being sleeves.

Some of the inside art is terrible--like the Darth Maul painting for TPM in particular.

The outside art is ok though IMO. I don't love it, but it's ok. I do love the book style packaging for boxed sets though. I bought the US version of Alien Anthology rather than the cheaper UK version just because I love that style of packaging. The Alien set has a lot better art than the Star Wars saga though.

Even if the blu ray discs were only available in a case that looked like jar jar's stupid fucking face, I'd still buy it. You're not a star wars fan if the artwork disgusts you to that degree.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Even if the blu ray discs were only available in a case that looked like jar jar's stupid fucking face, I'd still buy it. You're not a star wars fan if the artwork disgusts you to that degree.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the logic there, but okay. Every time I decide to watch Star Wars, I'd want to see something cooler than that artwork. I prefer each trilogy's individual art. It doesn't make me less of a fan.

I just don't think the six movies should be represented by the child actor that that gave a less-than-stellar performance in 3/4 of a prequel film. There are better things to signify Star Wars. Something Light/Dark related, collage of the six, etc. That's all I'm getting at.

nope, no digital copies

I don't get the artwork complaint really. It's going to be on your shelf showing the spine only no? Unless you have your boxsets facing forward, it shouldn't really be a deal breaker. It seems like a petty thing to not buy a set over, but then again there are people here who refuse to buy a game if it comes in a Greatest Hits case. My main concern with this set VS the UK one were the slits for the discs. I'd prefer standard disc holders to that, but I do like the artwork throughout and I am a fan of Blu-ray book packaging in general.

Here's an unboxing, looks pretty nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62vK0zS2588

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'd never not buy a movie or boxed set I really wanted just because I didn't like the art. I prefer cool art as movies are the one thing I collect--unlike games, cds etc. where I just care about the content.

I will pass on boxed sets in non standard packaging like the Toy Story Blu Ray set or the Lost complete collection.

I don't have room for that crap in my condo and just want movies/boxed sets that fit on my DVD racks and ideeally take up as little room on them as possible.

I do place most of the collections out in front. actually. Typically, I 'spine' the ones in the regular blu-ray cases, like Firefly in my TV section, or just regular blu-rays in general.

It's a different situation here. If there wasn't an alternate option for artwork that I happen to like better, I'd certainly buy the collection. There ARE two options though. The disc sliding is another factor into it.

It's like buying records, as well. I'll settle for a CD easily for how portable it is. But I buy vinyl because they generally sound better and you can admire the art more. I like art.

Goddamnit I want to buy this...convince me to buy it at a lower price! Only thing holding me back is the vast number of changes they made. Isn't Christensen still at the end of Jedi? WHAT THE HELL

Yes, that change is still there. And Lucas made more changes like adding vaders "Nooooooo!!!!" from the end of Episode 3 to Return of the Jedi when he grabs the emperor.

I wish they'd put out the theatrical cuts remastered in HD, but I don't obsess over it and can ignore the changes that bother me and still enjoy the movies.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yes, that change is still there. And Lucas made more changes like adding vaders "Nooooooo!!!!" from the end of Episode 3 to Return of the Jedi when he grabs the emperor.

I wish they'd put out the theatrical cuts remastered in HD, but I don't obsess over it and can ignore the changes that bother me and still enjoy the movies.[/QUOTE]

I think he addressed that at one point. Said it's too big of a gap to convert the originals into HD. It's easier to convert the already 'remastered' ones from 1997/2004.

I still imagine they'll put them out at some point, though. He may have a team working on it during or after the 6 years of 3D conversion.

[quote name='Grammar Police']I think he addressed that at one point. Said it's too big of a gap to convert the originals into HD. It's easier to convert the already 'remastered' ones from 1997/2004.

I still imagine they'll put them out at some point, though. He may have a team working on it during or after the 6 years of 3D conversion.[/QUOTE]

Well, even if that's true he could just change some of the changes people hate in the SE.

Easy enough to take away Greedo shooting--they edited that again for the Blu Rays and now they should pretty much simultaneously.

Take Hayden out of the end of ROTJ (that was a DVD change, not an SE change).

Take out the Nooooo!!!! he added to ROTJ in this release etc.

But that will never happen, so I just went ahead and bought and just try to ignore some of that crap as it is all pretty minor in the grand scheme of things (i.e. just a few brief scenes) IMO.

So you bit on this dmaul? It'll go down in price, but waiting till it hits $50 like ssjmichael seems like we'll be waiting a long time.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, I'd never not buy a movie or boxed set I really wanted just because I didn't like the art. I prefer cool art as movies are the one thing I collect--unlike games, cds etc. where I just care about the content.

I will pass on boxed sets in non standard packaging like the Toy Story Blu Ray set or the Lost complete collection.

I don't have room for that crap in my condo and just want movies/boxed sets that fit on my DVD racks and ideeally take up as little room on them as possible.[/QUOTE]If space is a concern, have you thought about putting all your blus in a cd binder and packing the oversized boxes in a closet?

I really want this but I am going to wait. $50 is a good price point for me. I have the originals on VHS and Beta. Also have the fist DVDs.

[quote name='Grammar Police']I don't see the logic there, but okay. Every time I decide to watch Star Wars, I'd want to see something cooler than that artwork. I prefer each trilogy's individual art. It doesn't make me less of a fan.

I just don't think the six movies should be represented by the child actor that that gave a less-than-stellar performance in 3/4 of a prequel film. There are better things to signify Star Wars. Something Light/Dark related, collage of the six, etc. That's all I'm getting at.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the artwork for the individual trilogies is much better than the artwork for the complete collection. I also agree that the child actor from Jingle All the Way (Daniel Lloyd or whoever the fuck) was horrible and shouldn't be on the boxart. There are countless better choices for cover art.

I would understand not buying this set because of George Lucas alterations. I would understand not buying this set if the discs were housed in horrible packaging like the original Back to the Future blu-ray release. But if you passed on this deal because of the artwork, and you buy the individual trilogies minus the three loaded special feature blu-ray discs, I think you're not much of a Star Wars fan. It's just my opinion. By even writing this post I've proving my self to be a huge nerd and my opinion shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway.

If you buy the individual trilogies because they are cheaper and you don't care about special features, that's very justifiable.

[quote name='Grammar Police'] Every time I decide to watch Star Wars, I'd want to see something cooler than that artwork.
[/QUOTE]

Every time I decide to watch Star Wars, I just want to see "Star Wars."

Consumers have different tastes though, so to each his own. I apologize in advance for my grammatical errors but I'm tired as hell right now.

I was fortunate enough to pick up the Saga on the 20th Century Fox lot for $54. I wasn't keen on the prices it had been going for but when I saw it there for that price, I had to bite. I too was waiting for $50 but figured that was close enough...

[quote name='mdsinc2']I really want this but I am going to wait. $50 is a good price point for me. I have the originals on VHS and Beta. Also have the fist DVDs.[/QUOTE]

$50 is my price point as well.

[quote name='IRHari']So you bit on this dmaul? It'll go down in price, but waiting till it hits $50 like ssjmichael seems like we'll be waiting a long time.[/QUOTE]

I bought it at launch as I'm a huge SW fan and hadn't seen them for a couple of years as I sold off my DVDs in anticipation of the eventual BR release.

[quote name='orangecrush']If space is a concern, have you thought about putting all your blus in a cd binder and packing the oversized boxes in a closet?[/QUOTE]

No, I like displaying the cases and still have a good bit of room on my shelves. Just not for big, crazy packges like Toy Story or Lost.

Plus the CD binders are a hassle to keep in alphabetical order, so I'd never bother with that.

Also, closets are where I majorly lack space. My place only has one small coat closet and a small walk in closet, so no room for boxes of anything.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']

I would understand not buying this set because of George Lucas alterations. I would understand not buying this set if the discs were housed in horrible packaging like the original Back to the Future blu-ray release. But if you passed on this deal because of the artwork, and you buy the individual trilogies minus the three loaded special feature blu-ray discs, I think you're not much of a Star Wars fan. It's just my opinion. By even writing this post I've proving my self to be a huge nerd and my opinion shouldn't be taken too seriously anyway.[/QUOTE]

It's 40% sliding disc packaging, 60% terrible art. I've seen far beyond the required amount of documentaries to be considered "much of a Star Wars fan." I don't dress up at conventions, if that makes me less of a fan. But a preference for better art sure shouldn't. I can't justify spending more money on art I don't really like, slide disc packaging, and documentaries I'll watch once (and are probably built around content I've seen over the last 20+ years).

It's like saying I'd be less of a fan of a band if I don't own every album they've ever done. Some albums, even by my favorite bands, are just bad. I guess that draws the line between "huge fan" and "fanboy."

Do you guys see this dropping below $70? I can get it for that amount at walmart after a $15 gift card I won, but I'm not sure if it's worth waiting another 6 months to see it drop to half that price.

[quote name='Slixshot']Do you guys see this dropping below $70? I can get it for that amount at walmart after a $15 gift card I won, but I'm not sure if it's worth waiting another 6 months to see it drop to half that price.[/QUOTE]

I don't see it dropping at Wal-Mart for a LONG time, if at all. If it drops, it probably won't be much and it'll probably be a deal at their online store.

[quote name='Grammar Police']I don't see it dropping at Wal-Mart for a LONG time, if at all. If it drops, it probably won't be much and it'll probably be a deal at their online store.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I meant from anywhere. Not just walmart :)

Keep checking if you want it. I decided to check it and just found a 3rd party seller with excellent feedback selling it new for $63. :D

bread's done
Back