Dead/Stuck Pixels Question

Borat

CAGiversary!
So I finally gave in and purchased a PSP since I saw new shipments were rolling out. I bought it two days ago and sure enough it had 3 dead pixels splat in the middle of the screen and what appeared to be bubbles on the screen cover. So I took it back today and exchanged it at Best Buy(being very cool about the whole thing by the way). I was allowed to test it at the store and check it out.....didn't notice a thing...I was thinking this is great, I actually found one that is flawless. I get home and check it again, this time with the lights out......SEVEN dead pixels. Seven all along the bottom and one stuck right in the middle of the screen.

So I guess my question is how many times did anyone here exchange it before they got a unit that is acceptable (ie. one or two dead/stuck pixels in an unnoticable position) ???? Thanks guys, I appreciate any feedback on how long I'm going to be involved in this no doubt epic battle.

[quote name='MrSneis']no stuck pixels on the third try, the UMD door is a tiny bit loose however.[/QUOTE]

Well I guess that's good news....kind of. Still a shame to have to do this however.

I could deal with the UMD door being a bit loose, but those deap pixs truely ruin what should be a beautiful experience....that is one of the prettiest screens I've ever seen....it almost makes Resident Evil: Apocalypse a good movie.....almost.

Mine's perfect. No problems whatsoever.

When the stockboy brought the psp out to me, the box was obviously damaged, looked like it'd been dropped. I asked him for one in a bit better condition....... and i've had no problems. i guess i got lucky.

3 .... first psp had some dead pixels, scratches in the screen from nothing (i didnt touch it with anything except the cloth, and would random not respond to buttons and would say i had 2 umds in

second had a shit load of dead pixels...probably 10+, some of them very very noticable, even while playing a game some of them bothered me

third is working like a charm, except the memory slot cover thing is mildly loose, no dead pixels

Has anyone had the bubbles on the screen??

I found that to be even worse than the dead pixels because it distorts the pixels badly. Especially in bright colors....it makes it look like the pixel is firing off 3 colors at once.

Well folks, the final count was seven before I found a decent one. Happy and disgusted at the same time. Even the manager at Best Buy was digging through them with me. We went through 4 today.

no bubbles here, just some dead ones, only one really noticeable in the middle of the screen. saw a few others, but doubt i would ever notice unless putting my eye up to the thing with a white background.

yeah the bubbles actually are worse than the pixels, I had one in the very center of the screen w/ the second psp along with maybe 3 pixels.

I've 3-4 on the first one I bought, and honestly, I stopped noticing them after the second week. But, I'll still exchange it once it hits the 11th month of the warranty ;)

What do the dead pixels look like or the bubbles...i am recieving mine form online...now im worried

Dead pixels will be either black or white. A stuck pixels will only appear in one color....like red, blue or green. The bubble on the screen is like a manufacturing defect in the plastic cover over the LCD....IMO these are far worse than dead/stuck pixels....you can ALWAYS see these....they distort the pixel because they are refracting the light and they are usually larger than any pixel that's messing up.

I would suggest you buy one locally....this way if you're as anal as I am it's much easier to exchange it. Hopefully you get lucky though....from what I've heard, almost all of them have 1 or more dead pixels and it's not a problem that looks as though it's going to be corrected anytime soon.

[quote name='Borat']Dead pixels will be either black or white. A stuck pixels will only appear in one color....like red, blue or green. The bubble on the screen is like a manufacturing defect in the plastic cover over the LCD....IMO these are far worse than dead/stuck pixels....you can ALWAYS see these....they distort the pixel because they are refracting the light and they are usually larger than any pixel that's messing up.

I would suggest you buy one locally....this way if you're as anal as I am it's much easier to exchange it. Hopefully you get lucky though....from what I've heard, almost all of them have 1 or more dead pixels and it's not a problem that looks as though it's going to be corrected anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

SHITE...I ordered online...from walmart....lol....hopefully the store will exchange...if they even have any in stock...

I got lucky on my first try - my PSP has no bubbles and only two dead pixels which aren't really noticeable (both are in the top left corner of the screen). I did get an extended service plan and will probably exchange it right before the plan expires since I'll probably need a new battery by then anyways.

[quote name='Daddy']SHITE...I ordered online...from walmart....lol....hopefully the store will exchange...if they even have any in stock...[/QUOTE]

Walmart has a good exchange policy. I'm thinking that they probobly incorporated something from their website into their store policy. I doubt you'll have much of a problem if you get a bad one.

I'd suggest you honestly do what Sony says to do....just play some games on it before you rush off to swap it for a few dead pix...obviously if you have some outrageous number like I had you should swap, but you generally can't see them in normal gameplay and quickly forget about them. Exchanging it usually runs the risk of getting one that's even worse and then you sit up there like I did going through seven of the damn things. For your own sanity, I'm suggesting you be reasonable about it.

By the way....Ridge Racer is, IMO, the best racing game out on the PSP and one of the best overall. You should give it a try....very fun.

It only took me one return, and I got stuck with the loose UMD door, but that doesnt really matter as long as I have a nice screen.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that cares this much about this stuff...

It took me 4. #1 had a single dead pixel, which, at the time, I thought was bad. Little did I know...#2 had dead pixels and dust. #3 had dust and a nasty bubble right in the middle. #4 had no bubbles or dead pixels, but some dust, so I kept it. A few weeks later, I noticed a stuck pixel. I bought it at Target, which seems to be the nicest regarding returns, so I have 90 days to decide.

The 1st two were at Best Buy. Though they accepted it without any real complaints, they weren't exactly nice about it..."we should charge a restocking fee for units that aren't defective....", etc. Now, I'm an adult, in my 30s, probably making more than their district manager, and to hear this from some kid probably making minimum wage...well, I try not to be arrogant about this stuff, but I was offended.

In my opinion, Sony really dropped the ball on this.

When I first got my PSP I was completly sure I had no DPs just a couplw of slight blips in the plastic (I supppose these are the bubbles people talk about but they're hardly as noticable as the talk made them sound.) In a plastic case this smooth I'd think sony had sold the collective souls of their entire japanese devision if it DIDN'T had some kind of blip.

A day or so later I did finally realize I had 4 DPs (or rather stuck pixels, constantly lit), one in the lower middle, on by the bottom and two on the left side... but then I thought "THIS is what people are bitching about? WTF!?" Compared to the 3 DPs I have on my GBA SP these things are nearly nonesistant! Yeah I can understand if you have 15 of them in the top middle of the screen that's excessive but a couple of tiny pinpricks of light on an otherwise gorgeous screen? are people playing the thing through a magnifying glass?

Also after reading a few comments fo the same type I'm starting to get the impression that stuck pixels seem to pop up after several minutes of using the system where as DPs seem to appear immediatly. Seems like too much of a coincidence how people say "oh! my system is perfect" only to come back a couple of hours later and say "darn, I actually have 3 stucks pixels." So they're either poping up later or they simply arnt such a horribly thing unless you go looking for them expecting to be dissapointed.

Frankly my feeling is if you have 2 or 3 sporatic DPs and want to replace it, you really sound spoiled.

[quote name='Alpha2']When I first got my PSP I was completly sure I had no DPs just a couplw of slight blips in the plastic (I supppose these are the bubbles people talk about but they're hardly as noticable as the talk made them sound.) In a plastic case this smooth I'd think sony had sold the collective souls of their entire japanese devision if it DIDN'T had some kind of blip.

A day or so later I did finally realize I had 4 DPs (or rather stuck pixels, constantly lit), one in the lower middle, on by the bottom and two on the left side... but then I thought "THIS is what people are bitching about? WTF!?" Compared to the 3 DPs I have on my GBA SP these things are nearly nonesistant! Yeah I can understand if you have 15 of them in the top middle of the screen that's excessive but a couple of tiny pinpricks of light on an otherwise gorgeous screen? are people playing the thing through a magnifying glass?

Also after reading a few comments fo the same type I'm starting to get the impression that stuck pixels seem to pop up after several minutes of using the system where as DPs seem to appear immediatly. Seems like too much of a coincidence how people say "oh! my system is perfect" only to come back a couple of hours later and say "darn, I actually have 3 stucks pixels." So they're either poping up later or they simply arnt such a horribly thing unless you go looking for them expecting to be dissapointed.

Frankly my feeling is if you have 2 or 3 sporatic DPs and want to replace it, you really sound spoiled.[/QUOTE]

my 1st psp would just stop recognizing button presses and would say i had 2 different UMDs inserted + some minor DPs

my 2nd psp had some very bright and noticeable DPs...a couple in the very center, than even with a game or movie on were still obnoxious

my 3rd psp i tested in the store.....flawless screen (i stared at it hard), came home and used the DP Finder test files on my memory card....still nothing...and i combed every inch of the screen on all the colors in the tester....nothing

now, i have about 4 or 5 DPs.....not very noticeable, but i will probably trade it back in using my warranty when i only have a few days left on my year warranty

[quote name='tholly']i will probably trade it back in using my warranty when i only have a few days left on my year warranty[/QUOTE]

everyone says this, i wonder how sony will deal with floods of warranty returns at the end of year/begining of next year, you may get back a worse off unit, not a new one. they may add other restrictions too, like inclusion of original packaging, upcs, receipts, who knows. so everybody keep all that stuff.

it would be a huge loss for them to just hand out millions of new units next year, with no profit.

bread's done
Back