[DEAD] "The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection" $94

Mikerocosms

CAGiversary!
Amazon DOTD. The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection

51GJ4AXDBSL._AA165_.jpg

M

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think this is a very good deal when Seasons 1 & 2 are now on Blu-ray and Season 3 has been announced for spring release.

It is unsurprising that Amazon is attempting to clear out stock of soon to be worthless DVD versions.

[quote name='Xizer']I do not think this is a very good deal when Seasons 1 & 2 are now on Blu-ray and Season 3 has been announced for spring release.

It is unsurprising that Amazon is attempting to clear out stock of soon to be worthless DVD versions.[/QUOTE]

I love blu-ray and all but this is an amazing deal for what you're getting. My wife bought this for me a few years back as an anniversary gift. I think it edges out the X-Files, Twin Peaks, and Alfred Hitchcock Presents sets as my favorite series on DVD (if Alfred Hitchcock was complete it would probably be a tie). I haven't seen the blu-ray transfer but I'm perfectly happy with the picture quality on the dvds. The bonus features are fantastic - particularly the Rod Serling lecture and game show clip.

If you're paying $50 each for five seasons of a black and white program from the sixties on Blu-Ray, you don't deserve to have money.

[quote name='Survivalism']If you're paying $50 each for five seasons of a black and white program from the sixties on Blu-Ray, you don't deserve to have money.[/QUOTE]

I was going to argue that if the new Blu-Rays reduced the massive amt of disc swaps vs the DVD collection that it would completely be worth it... then I saw that the BR set is 5 discs, a single disc less than the DVDs. How they managed that, I have no idea. That picture/audio remastering better be absolutely-friggin-amazing if it's still taking up that many.

(I say this, but I'm still holding out for a Definitive Blu box set, sigh, consumerism.)

Thanks OP, in for one, been waiting for this to go under $100. Thought about waiting for it on Blu, but I'm plenty happy with the dvds.

[quote name='Survivalism']If you're paying $50 each for five seasons of a black and white program from the sixties on Blu-Ray, you don't deserve to have money.[/QUOTE]

Hear hear! That's like someone waiting for the high definition remaster of Sanford and Son. It will never look any better.

Sorry I was gonna post the sale on the on the boris karloff thriller set but I checked price went back up .

Great series that finally got a box set release

The Twilight Zone was shot on 35mm film.

[quote name='battra92']Hear hear! That's like someone waiting for the high definition remaster of Sanford and Son. It will never look any better.[/QUOTE]Difference being that Sanford and Son, if I am not mistaken, was recorded on tape, where as The Twilight Zone was recorded on film (minus 6 episodes from Season 2).

Otherwise, while I have not seen the transfer myself, blu-ray.com review gave the video quality for both seasons a 4.5 out of 5.

Do some research first before making stupid statements.

[quote name='battra92']Hear hear! That's like someone waiting for the high definition remaster of Sanford and Son. It will never look any better.[/QUOTE]Open mouth, insert foot:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Twilight-Zone-Season-1-Blu-ray/11231/#Review

For the link-lazy:
[quote name='Blu-ray.com']In a word: beautiful. Image Entertainment has gone back to The Twilight Zone's original camera negatives to make 1080p/AVC-encoded transfers—framed in the original TV 1.33:1 aspect ratio—that are sharp, surprisingly clean, and completely free of unnecessary tampering or tinkering. The prints are very nearly free of debris; you'll see small, white, barely noticeable flecks in each episode, but there are no major scratches or stains. Perhaps the greatest sigh of relief is that the series' gorgeous black and white cinematography is completely intact, with rich cinematic grain, no DNR scrubbing, and no overt edge enhancement. This hands-off approach extends to the monochromatic color gradation, which doesn't appear to have received any excess boosting, but has a naturally dense contrast with deep blacks, crisp whites, and no significant loss of detail in shadows or highlights. Any brightness flickering that occurs is mild and infrequent, and aside from a few instance of minor banding—most notably in the darker segments of "Perchance to Dream"—I didn't spot any compression-related distractions. Of course, the greatest boon to having The Twilight Zone in high definition is the dramatic increase in clarity. If you've been watching the series through all its iterations —TV re-runs, smeary VHS copies, okay-but-not-amazing DVDs—you'll be momentarily stunned by how great the show looks on Blu-ray. From tweed suits and the inner mechanisms of a female robot to prop details and facial features, the upgrade in resolution is immediately and appreciably apparent. The sense of depth and, for a lack of a better phrase, the visual poetry of the 35mm image, is simply fantastic. It's hard to imagine The Twilight Zone looking any better than this. [/quote]

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Twilight-Zone-Season-2-Blu-ray/14384/#Review

Link-lazy:
[quote name='From Blu-ray.com']Image Entertainment's presentation of The Twilight Zone: Season 1 was just about perfect, and Season 2 is no different. Going back to the original 35mm negatives, all-new 1080p/AVC-encoded transfers—framed in the original 1.33:1 TV aspect ratio—have been struck for each episode, and the picture, quite simply, is stunning. I'm not sure if the source materials themselves were clean to begin with, or if a restoration team went frame- by-frame through each episode, cleaning up damage, but either way, the image is nearly pristine, with only a few scattered white specks on the print, and no major scratches or stains. Even better, the grain structure of the black and white cinematography is fully intact, with no trace of excess filtering, noise reduction, or edge enhancement. Nor are there any overt compression issues, like banding or macroblocking. The picture looks natural and bold, with a crisp monochromatic gradation composed of inky deep blacks, bright but rarely overblown whites, and a rich spectrum of grays. Of course, there's also an enormous leap in clarity from previous home video releases, and there are times when you'll be awed by the amount of detail contained in the 35mm negative. Herringbone suits yield up their woolen patterns, the thin mesh of face-covering bandages is easily visible in "Eye of the Beholder," and skin texture is easily discerned.

If you're a longtime Twilight Zone fan, you'll already know that, as a cost-cutting experiment, six episodes from season two—"The Lateness of the Hour," "Static," "The Whole Truth," "The Night of the Meek," "Twenty Two," and "Long Distance Call"—were shot on videotape and have a distinctly soap opera-ish look to them. Image Entertainment has presented these episodes in 1080i, and while they aren't nearly up to the standard set by the shot-on-film material—the picture is blurry and fine detail indistinct—I'm confident that they look as strong as possible, considering the shortcomings of primitive 1960s videotape. Note that screenshots 18, 19, and 20 are taken from shot-on-video episodes. [/quote]

[quote name='battra92']Hear hear! That's like someone waiting for the high definition remaster of Sanford and Son. It will never look any better.[/QUOTE]

Click these two links and tell me you can't tell a difference between the DVD and the Blu-Ray.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1026/tzdefs1000737.jpg
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2766/largethetwilightzoneblu.jpg

Also there are a ton of new extras on the Blu-Ray set.

- edit I originally had a

I have both seasons on blu ray and there great. I love the show and enjoy watching it at the end of the year on Sci Fi. It's well worth it to own it on blu ray because it looks amazing.

And like Sporadic there's a ton of special features.

Some people on amazon have mentioned that disc 4 of the Blu-ray set isn't playing with certain players including the PS3. Not sure if that's been fixed yet but it's something to be aware of.

bread's done
Back