*DEAD* Toshiba Canvio Slim 500GB External USB 3.0/2.0 Portable Hard Drive $34.99 @ Best Buy

Anyone know if this can be cracked open and used as a drive for a notebook or PS3, or is it soldered to the enclosure like a few of the newer WD portable drives I have?

Anyone know if this can be cracked open and used as a drive for a notebook or PS3, or is it soldered to the enclosure like a few of the newer WD portable drives I have?
I have the 1tb version of this drive and it is a few mm too wide for the ps3 (and I would suspect laptops). Some earlier versions of this drive CAN fit, but it depends on date and place of manufacturing.

You can open these drives pretty easy and unlike some WD drives you don't need to break a seal, so if you want you could give it a shot.

(edit, forgot to add my reply)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks op picked one up.

I see this was part of best buys columbus day sale, have they been adding different products each day because I didn't see this on friday.

can anyone confirm if this would work as a storage device for the xbox 360? I assume it would, but haven't heard anything about USB 3.0 and Xbox 360

can anyone confirm if this would work as a storage device for the xbox 360? I assume it would, but haven't heard anything about USB 3.0 and Xbox 360
In doing some research, I gather this will not work with 360s due to Microsoft's proprietary tech and wanting you to purchase MS-branded hard drives. But someone more knowledgeable than me should chime in.

In doing some research, I gather this will not work with 360s due to Microsoft's proprietary tech and wanting you to purchase MS-branded hard drives. But someone more knowledgeable than me should chime in.
You should be able to treat it like a 16 GB HDD. I'm not sure if it's 16 GB per partition or 16 GB per physical drive though.

Edit: Should be only 16 GB from one external drive.

I built 120gb harddrives for my brother and his friend using off the shelf harddrives. But i'm pretty sure you need a very particular model. I think the biggest you can go is the largest harddrive ms offers. Which I think is 250gb. The procedure was pretty simple. Make a bootable flash drive/cd. Unhook your computers harddrive and connnect the laptop drive. Run a few commands off the usb drive to make it usable. Buy a cheap case on ebay or take apart the one you already have and screw it all together. This looks like the guide I used http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/console-guides/xbox-360-guides/3152-how-hack-250gb-320gb-sata-drive-work-xbox-360-xbox-360-slim.html Very simple procedure.

So wait, best buy can charge $35 for a hard drive and Nintendo can't include one even buying them in bulk?
Best Buy is selling it at a temporary loss to get rid of units. That doesn't mean they're making a profit off the $35 price. If anything they're losing money or breaking even. Adding $50 to the Wii U's already high price tag isn't a good idea for Nintendo

So wait, best buy can charge $35 for a hard drive and Nintendo can't include one even buying them in bulk?
Nintendo uses Solid State Hard Drive Technology, unlike this cheap moving disk hard drive you're referring to here. And you know, Nintendo allows ANY external hard drive or USB drive to be used for games, UNLIKE Playstation 3 or Playstation 4. Just like the 3DS can use any SD card as opposed to Vita only using proprietary memory, which you know, cost $100 for the last 2 years. Your argument fell flat before you even tried to make it.

My wife's been wanting a new external ever since I tore hers apart to scavenge the assembly for another project.  This will make her happy.

If you want to go 1TB at a similar price per gb, try this Seagate that is also available at Best Buy and can be price matched to cheap Amazon price. The Seagate was listed by IGN as a good Wii U complement.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-STBX1000101/dp/B008R7FC74%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIE43M42TPR3L3UTQ%26tag%3Dignblender-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB008R7FC74

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=ATG13413105304&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&fs=saas&saas=saas&keys=keys&st=Seagate+Expansion

I'm looking for a external HD to add to my newly purchased Wii U. Just wondering if I'd fill up a 500 gb HD with Wii U stuff or if I should go bigger.

Nintendo uses Solid State Hard Drive Technology, unlike this cheap moving disk hard drive you're referring to here. And you know, Nintendo allows ANY external hard drive or USB drive to be used for games, UNLIKE Playstation 3 or Playstation 4. Just like the 3DS can use any SD card as opposed to Vita only using proprietary memory, which you know, cost $100 for the last 2 years. Your argument fell flat before you even tried to make it.
Oh, look at the littlest knight, with his littlest shield, trying desperately to protect the Magikarp of video game consoles. It's not working.

Saw a 1TB one in store at Walmart for $62. Actually the TB one is on sale for $63 at BB.

On slickdeals, one user said they bought this unit and disassembled it and said it was soldered so you can't use it in your ps3 etc.

whats their return policy like on this stuff? if i get it and its not compatible with something i want it to be, will they allow an open box return?

I got the 750 gig version of this for computer storage about two months ago for $45. I don't know about next-gen, but my 360 won't recognize it even for straight media playing because it can't send enough power to it.

I got the 750 gig version of this for computer storage about two months ago for $45. I don't know about next-gen, but my 360 won't recognize it even for straight media playing because it can't send enough power to it.
Doesn't sound right. Sure you just don't need to format it to fat32 first? Ps3/360 won't recognize an external that is formatted ntfs which pretty much every hd is.

Use a powered USB hub?
I don't have one and don't really want to buy one just for that. For now I just transfer videos to a thumbdrive. I've heard a Y-cable might be enough to get it to work though.

Doesn't sound right. Sure you just don't need to format it to fat32 first? Ps3/360 won't recognize an external that is formatted ntfs which pretty much every hd is.
Too late to try now, I don't think that's the issue though. I saw other people complaining about the same issue

You needed to format it first. At least partition 32 GB of it. Regardless of how big your external is, you will only be able to use 32GB.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/usb-flash-drive

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/storage

I bought a toshiba 500 gb external drive at SAMs the other day it's now 25 bucks was 30 the other day. It comes with a carry case too.

bread's done
Back