[DEAD] West Wing, Nip/Tuck = $1.60, Smallville $2.40 @ BB B&M as PM to BigLots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

honzoh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Guys -- posted this in the Big!Lots thread, but I don't want it to go unnoticed as there are like, 15 pages in there.

Big!lots is doing a sale this week (they have an ad) on their television series on dvd. You can take the ad to Best Buy and have it pricematched. Here's what I posted in that thread =

"For those that care, both niptuck and west wing ring up as $1.60 at best buy after price match. Go in, pay their price, then take receipt plus biglots ad to customer service. 110% will knock it to $1.60."

Also, smallville is $42.90 at Best Buy and $2.40 after the pricematch.

Great prices as long as you live near a Best Buy that easily follows pricematching procedures.

Last edited by a moderator:
dvd, though it's being reported that some big!lots are carrying the smallville on blu. All big!lots should have the ads -- I just use my cell phone and show them the ad via that, haven't had a problem with any store pricematching that way.

Yes, great deal. When the customer service matches it, they'll put it in as $6. Once she enters that amount though, the price shifts for the 10% difference between the two. They should have no problems pricematching with an ad -- just make sure you purchase it at the regular cashier first, then take it over to customer service for the pricematch. You have to pay for it in full to get the 10% difference.

They aren't going to pricematch that unless you show a physical ad that shows the specific item with the price, they may then (at their discretion) call up the local big lots to verify if they have it in stock. I didn't see any blu rays mentioned in their ad (but they are in the store) making this a HUGE ymmv

Just saw the ad (which was, surprisingly, in my paper)... I doubt many will be able to get this to work. The titles are not explicitly stated in writing and it's hard to distinguish which seasons are being sold by Big Lots. I'm not going to bother (not a fan of any of those shows, really), but good luck.

If I didn't already have the boxed set of The West Wing, I'd be all over this. I wish I had enough money to front the regular price of Smallville though for the 110%. I know a lot of people like that show. It would make a nice gift.

It does depend on the customer service person, to a certain extent. When I was in Big!lots for the ad, I also snagged pics on my cellphone of the display, showcasing which ones I was pricematching. I've yet to find a customer service rep who won't believe a cellphone snag. And they can always call Big!lots if they want. As long as Big!lots has it, you'd get it for the 110%.

So are we saying they will only match the titles pictured? I'm willing to do this at a BB (b/c I love effing with them(former employee)) and just want to prepare my plan and what to say,...

is the first time this has been advertised like this? Would BB be on or get onto something like this? Seems to me like they would try to get off with the "Title's May Very by Store" text in the ad...

either way I may stop in Big Lots to see if their inventory changed from 2 weeks ago.

So are we saying they will only match the titles pictured? I'm willing to do this at a BB (b/c I love effing with them(former employee)) and just want to prepare my plan and what to say,...

is the first time this has been advertised like this? Would BB be on or get onto something like this? Seems to me like they would try to get off with the "Title's May Very by Store" text in the ad...

As long as you have the ad, they have to match what's in the ad. There are specific seasons of ER, OC, NipTuck, and West Wing in the ad. The ad would probably be better to have on hand, as the picture quality would be better than your cell (or print off, I suppose -- though you could print off a BIG pic of it if they're having difficulties).

And, remember, as long as your Big!Lots has these in stock, they have to pricematch it. They can call the store to verify if they want, but they have to honor it. Their computer system will auto do the 110% as long as you purchase it in full first, then take it to customer service. It's the extra 10% that makes all the difference.

[quote name='honzoh']Their computer system will auto do the 110% as long as you purchase it in full first, then take it to customer service. It's the extra 10% that makes all the difference.[/QUOTE]

wow, yeah I suppose if you're debit/credit card can handle something like that for a day (4 of these would easily be over $150)...otherwise I might forgoe the 10% and go straight to the CS counter...

i'm down with this, I may actually spend the $1.50 to get the paper tonight at the store. I mean, prices like this for season's is like x-mas everyday!

BEst Buy will pricematch because they have the new policy up that no one will beat their prices and they guarantee that. I got my fiances sister a copy of Secret Life season 2, i printed the ad off of the internet from walmart.com and they matched it to the 19.99 price and took 10% off after that.

Best Buy may not actually PM these. At the bottom of the ad it says While Quantities Last. That is usually an indication to Best Buy to not price match. Here are their exclusions:

Exclusions:
The Price Guarantee does not apply to our or our competitors' free offers, limited-quantity items, items for sale Thanksgiving day through the Saturday after Thanksgiving, open-box items, clearance items, Outlet Center items, mail-in offers, financing, bundle offers or pricing errors.

Also, Best Buy stores commonly call the store to actually verify that the product is in stock because that is another stipulation. From the Big Lots that I have been to looking for these products, it appears to only be for Season 2 of all these shows.

This is a BIG YMMV. I'd say 9 times out of 10, they will not price-match this deal. Or anything from Big Lots for that matter. I believe the OP just got really lucky. And Smallville (listed in the thread's title) isn't even in the Big Lots ad.

I believe the OP just got really lucky. And Smallville (listed in the thread's title) isn't even in the Big Lots ad.

Come on, man. Stop thread crapping. It's best buy's policy to pricematch, there's no reason they would turn you down for this.

If they tell you no, based on the ad, you tell them to call the story and verify. I don't get why you would say this deal wouldn't work. It's ludicrous to think this is a YMMV. It's their friggin policy and I came here to post this after I did it today and know other friends who did. No problems at all.

No reason to come here and scream 'this won't work' when you have no idea what you're talking about. I certainly didn't get 'lucky' with corporate policy.

There is a 90% chance this won't work, your specific store is just really lenient. I've gone to several Best Buys and they are VERY stingy with their pricematch policy (One Best Buy wouldn't even price match a TV I bought from another Best Buy that I was trying to get for a friend, even when I had a BEST BUY RECEIPT!) Good luck to anyone trying this.

[quote name='honzoh']Come on, man. Stop thread crapping. It's best buy's policy to pricematch, there's no reason they would turn you down for this.

If they tell you no, based on the ad, you tell them to call the story and verify. I don't get why you would say this deal wouldn't work. It's ludicrous to think this is a YMMV. It's their friggin policy and I came here to post this after I did it today and know other friends who did. No problems at all.

No reason to come here and scream 'this won't work' when you have no idea what you're talking about. I certainly didn't get 'lucky' with corporate policy.[/QUOTE]

Read the policy. The ad has to specify the item, it doesn't. The ad can't say Limited Quantities, it does. The store has to have the item in stock, which the stores only have Season 2 even if you can actually get the Big Lots employees to go check for you. I would absolutely say this is a YMMV.

The Target in my area, San Jose, CA, is now Price Matching as of today, so I am going to try them tomorrow and then the other Best Buys in my area. I don't have high hopes.

[quote name='honzoh']Come on, man. Stop thread crapping. It's best buy's policy to pricematch, there's no reason they would turn you down for this.

No reason to come here and scream 'this won't work' when you have no idea what you're talking about. I certainly didn't get 'lucky' with corporate policy.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he is Thread Crapping; in my experience BB can tough as hell regarding PM's that are either A) Not remotely close to what they sell the item for or B) From a store that I can't look out their front door and see.

That said, If you have easy access to both stores it's definitely worth a shot.

TC, this really didnt need its own thread. Especially since the pricematching thing is a huge YMMV. Also not really worth trying to just save 3 or 4 bucks.

[quote name='yukafls']Im sorry, but if you price match the season at BB for $6 how does that go to $1.50??[/QUOTE]

Best Buy is supposed to match the price plus they deduct a percentage based on the price difference. I've never had a Best Buy do this when I've pricematched, but apprantly their supposed to.

Guys -- posted this in the Big!Lots thread, but I don't want it to go unnoticed as there are
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

I think the whole 110% is a tall tale as well. I remember Service Merchandise trying this, then Circuit City, maybe even Target. Now I think they could all care less b/c they are already price matching something to begine with. So even if it's stated in their policy, I bet there is an extra key they have to press and never do...

When I worked at sears when they first had the 110% its how you code the price match. It asked you like 4 questions if you did it that way including like the name of the store which you had to skim through their list to choose and the date of the ad I guess to make sure you were reading it.
You could code it another way but it wouldn't ask all those questions. I'd usually just do the 10% in my head but I know most people didn't bother at all.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Best Buy is supposed to match the price plus they deduct a percentage based on the price difference. I've never had a Best Buy do this when I've pricematched, but apprantly their supposed to.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='yukafls']Yeah, i have never seen that as well. No way would my BB go for that, only the $6[/QUOTE]

[quote name='token2k6']I think the whole 110% is a tall tale as well. I remember Service Merchandise trying this, then Circuit City, maybe even Target. Now I think they could all care less b/c they are already price matching something to begine with. So even if it's stated in their policy, I bet there is an extra key they have to press and never do...[/QUOTE]

Does anyone actually read the Best Buy PM policy? :whistle2:s

It's right here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspag...type=page&entryURLID=&contentId=1118843518460

Specifically:
[quote name='From Best Buy PM policy']Two more great reasons to buy with confidence at Best Buy.
If you are about to make a purchase and discover a lower advertised price offered by a local retail competitor on the same available brand and model, let us know and we'll match that price on the spot.

Already bought? We'll refund you the price difference from our own sale price, or 110% of the difference from our competitor's sale price, during the return and exchange period on your product.

Either way, simply bring in proof of price while that lower price is in effect.[/quote]

You need to buy the item at their full price and then go do the price match after you've bought it to get the additional 10%. If you do the PM at the time you do the purchase, it'll just be a 100% PM without the additional 10%. If you buy the item at full price, go over to the Customer Service desk without leaving the store and have them do the PM, you get the additional 10% back.

It's not a tall tale. I've done it hundreds of times in the years I've shopped Best Buy. Circuit City used to do the PM + 10% at the time of purchase for years, though they switched to PM @ purchase of 100% and PM after purchase @ 110% a couple years before they went belly-up. Same goes for purchases I made at Circuit City as well for the additional 10%, both before and after.

All you need to do is buy the item at the full price and then go do the PM to get the additional 10%. You don't even have to leave the store.

[quote name='token2k6']I think the whole 110% is a tall tale as well. I remember Service Merchandise trying this, then Circuit City, maybe even Target. Now I think they could all care less b/c they are already price matching something to begine with. So even if it's stated in their policy, I bet there is an extra key they have to press and never do...[/QUOTE]

no, the price match after purchase guarantee is very much the truth. you just have to prove it. a friend of mine who works there actually says that the price match system actually gives you the extra 10% right at initial purchase.

This is going to be highly YMMV-BB stores have the right to say that this is a special offer, with limited stock, and since all items BL has on sale are not pictured they don't need to honor it,per their policy. Plus, if there is no "local" BL's, near the BB, they can also say that BL does not have a physical store, that qualifies as a "local" competitor-also per their store policy. But if does-congrats to you:)

To anyone out there whose entire contribution to this thread is to say that this is YMMV--have any of you actually tried to PM the box sets?

To anyone out there whose entire contribution to this thread is to say that this is YMMV--have any of you actually tried to PM the box sets?

Exactly. None of them have and that's why I called it thread crapping earlier. If you go and get rejected, you've done something wrong. It's their policy to match and they will match it. I've done it, as have others. Go see for yourself before calling shenanigans on something you guys obviously don't know much about.

I tried it at four different Best Buys. All of them refused quoting the line from their policy that I previously mentioned about Limited Quantities. It might be worth a try for other people, but it didn't for me.

I call it ymmv as I have done it at multiple Best Buys and it all depends on the cs counter person, every time I've tried to PM a really good deal they will go through ALL of their criteria including calling the store and checking to see if they have it in stock (and NONE of the big lots around my area have any of the BR's or smallville, nip tuck, etc in stock. I've checked several) Good luck to whoever tries it though, post here with what happens.

you need to re-read the policy and then APPLY it. Its a pain to do, but worth it to win my 10%.

Directions:
1) Grab item and puchase for regular price at a NORMAL register.
2) goto customer service desk and tell them you are price matching
3) show ad and they take your receipt and "return" the items.
4) they re-ring everything up and the system automaticallys applies the 10% difference on the new purchase when they put in the PM price.

I had success PM most of the collection that I picked up.

Best Buy didnt have Pink & The Brain Vol. 1 & 2 so no go there.

They had no problems PM the ER sets for 4.60 (apparently its on sale for 16.99)

Had a little more trouble with PM Smallville, but I got season 4 for $2.40 and they "couldn't" give me the 110% difference on the blu-ray season 7 smallville because it would have been NEGATIVE! lol
So they did give it to me for $6.

Now I came armed with the ad, Biglots receipt showing the same seasons that I bought for $6 AND the actual dvd sets sealed from Big lots. So I now have dupes of everything

[quote name='HunteR7411']I had success PM most of the collection that I picked up.

Best Buy didnt have Pink & The Brain Vol. 1 & 2 so no go there.

They had no problems PM the ER sets for 4.60 (apparently its on sale for 16.99)

Had a little more trouble with PM Smallville, but I got season 4 for $2.40 and they "couldn't" give me the 110% difference on the blu-ray season 7 smallville because it would have been NEGATIVE! lol
So they did give it to me for $6.

Now I came armed with the ad, Biglots receipt showing the same seasons that I bought for $6 AND the actual dvd sets sealed from Big lots. So I now have dupes of everything[/QUOTE]

So that was you at the North Aurora Bestbuy

[quote name='JPCERTIFIED']So that was you at the North Aurora Bestbuy[/QUOTE]

Do you work there or passing through the store? I was at the store a lot for the anime sale!

[quote name='HunteR7411']Do you work there or passing through the store? I was at the store a lot for the anime sale![/QUOTE]

Nope I was that guy who bought the last $100 Insignia Bluray player for $90 since it was their floor model. The manager was holding it in front of you while helping the other guy out.

Hunter -- glad you took advantage of the deal. If only people would stop saying it's YMMV and go do it they'd see. Are you going to return the dvds to Big!Lots? I had done the same thing, armed with the receipt proof just in case -- glad to see I wasn't alone in that thinking.

[quote name='JPCERTIFIED']Nope I was that guy who bought the last $100 Insignia Bluray player for $90 since it was their floor model. The manager was holding it in front of you while helping the other guy out.[/QUOTE]

Did you buy that TV that I told you to get? ;) How funny that we were there for 2 different reasons! lol

[quote name='honzoh']
Hunter -- glad you took advantage of the deal. If only people would stop saying it's YMMV and go do it they'd see. Are you going to return the dvds to Big!Lots? I had done the same thing, armed with the receipt proof just in case -- glad to see I wasn't alone in that thinking.[/QUOTE]

Yea the worse case scenario is that they say no. I lost nothing by trying to pricematch and I came out way ahead this time. I plan on keeping the dupes to try to trade for other sets!

I went to BB to price match the Nip/Tuck because Big Lots didn't have it. I was going to buy all 5 seasons, but they would only price match the one that was on the ad, I think season 2.

So it didn't work for me.

[quote name='HunteR7411']Did you buy that TV that I told you to get? ;) How funny that we were there for 2 different reasons! lol

I take it you been hitting the Aurora Biglots then?

they would only price match the one that was on the ad, I think season 2.

So it didn't work for me.

Sounds like it worked perfect for you, for the item that was advertised. You just wanted stuff that wasn't included in the ad. Or at Big!Lots.

[quote name='honzoh']Sounds like it worked perfect for you, for the item that was advertised. You just wanted stuff that wasn't included in the ad. Or at Big!Lots.[/QUOTE]

Actually it didn't work for me (personally). I would never buy season 2 of a show for $6 knowing I had to spend $40+ on the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back