[DEAD] Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for College Students $30

icedrake523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
I put Win 7 on my PC & Word 2003, but everytime I make documents it saves them as DOC file and won't open with Word unless I do Open With manually even if saved as a word file. Does anyone know what's wrong or what to do?

Anyone else have IE 8 keep freezing on them or their printer not work and unable to get any drivers for it?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think newer versions of Word save as .docx files. You may want to right click one of your .doc files, change the "This type of file opens with" to Microsoft Word and then select the box that says "Always open with this program". That SHOULD solve that problem.

As for the printer, haven't had any problems with my printers and Windows 7. What type of printer are you using?

Goomba is correct, Word 2007 and (I believe) 2010 (beta/trail) save as .docx. I had a problem installing my printer at first, but then I just turned it on, and Windows 7 went out and downloaded the software/drivers it needed.

[quote name='goomba478']I'm not 100% sure, but I think newer versions of Word save as .docx files. You may want to right click one of your .doc files, change the "This type of file opens with" to Microsoft Word and then select the box that says "Always open with this program". That SHOULD solve that problem.

As for the printer, haven't had any problems with my printers and Windows 7. What type of printer are you using?[/QUOTE]
Okay I was concerned that new files that I saved in Word were also in DOC, but when I goto open them they do open in Word. I am using Word 2003 and never had this problem in Vista. I am using an HP Officejet K80xi. Thank you. I was able to add my printer but I don't have the right driver. I did what it said on HP's page http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...6879&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=61737&lang=en and Windows update is not finding drivers for it either that I know of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dumb question.. My stepdad has XP and wants to upgrade to Win 7. if I get this upgrade for him is the license going to be tied to my email or something? Or will he have any problems using it since he did not order it?

Question: Can I buy a Windows Ultimate key from eBay and use that for either the Windows Anytime Upgrade, or with my Windows 7 Professional ISO (to do a clean install)? I think I remember reading that all versions of Windows came on the DVD, and which one installed depended on the key you used, but I wanted to be sure before I bought one.

I would advise against buying a key from eBay. Most of those are keys that aren't supposed to be sold or transferred, so it may be deactivated if Microsoft deems fit.

Just so everyone knows: The DigitalRiver store is now closed. I called Microsoft to see if the $30 deal is still going from them, and they said that Windows 7 Professional is now $65 for anyone with a .edu email address. This new deal, they told me, does not apply to Windows 7 Home Premium.

When I ordered by last copy before the new year they were already out of physical copies of Windows 7 Professional and the rep told me that the sale was going to end on the fourth of January.

[quote name='Filbert']When I ordered by last copy before the new year they were already out of physical copies of Windows 7 Professional and the rep told me that the sale was going to end on the fourth of January.[/QUOTE]

Wish I'd known that. Oh well.

$65 clearly isn't a bad deal, but just as clearly, $30 is much better.

Of course it's dead now that I try to entertain getting it again. With that said, I'm pirating it just because of that FAIL fucking case they put it in. Who thought that was a fucking good idea... ?

You won't buy something because of it's packaging... why not just throw out the case? That can't be the reason you're pirating it...

[quote name='J7.']You won't buy something because of it's packaging... why not just throw out the case? That can't be the reason you're pirating it...[/QUOTE]

Also, you can just get it as a download. Then there's no packaging to speak of.

bread's done
Back