DEADISH - now $399 w/coupons -LG BH200 Combo Player (BRD / HDDVD) $339 at bestbuy.com

gkrykewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This was mentioned in the HDDVD thread, but I thought it warranted its own thread:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...bh200&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1186004964788

I bit for the online price of $339.99 (plus $8.85 for shipping, plus tax), but you could try your luck in store with the following coupons (in store price is $399, which makes it trickier):

10% / 12%:
http://emailinfo.bestbuy.com/P/v3/H...N_50586&e=11124;024216;1001187789;1;02&a=1007

10%:
http://cybernetnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/best-buy-coupon-808-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a phenomenal player, not only because the upconversion for SD DVDs is as good as it gets, but because it also:

1. Plays out of region BD discs with an easy hack -- the only player that can do so I believe right now

2. Plays ALL region standard-def DVDs as well with a software hack

3. Will be BD Live 2.0 sometime in the future, as they've confirmed they're working on the firmware

4. Bitstreams all the HD audio codecs via HDMI

I actually bought 2 of these a couple of months ago because I was so satisfied with it. The only major gripe I have is 4:3 content is stretched out to 16:9.

Outside of that, this is the best DVD player I've ever owned, and it plays both BD & HD-DVDs perfectly -- or at least more reliably, really, than anything on the market. You will find people who have problems with it online (like anything else), but from my experience it's unbeatable.

Just got one yesterday. The only gripe i have is that the interactive menu on a couple HD DVDs i tried is painfully slow! The movies themselves played perfectly though.

I now have 2 Blu-ray players and 3 HD DVD players!!! A PS3, HD DVD Add on for 360, HD A30 and this BH200! Crap!

Deadpool, did you update the firmware?

Deal is dead BTW- $399 now (still a great deal with 10%/12% off coupons in-store).

[quote name='guyver2077']does this bitstream the advanced codecs?

and also did they can plans for the 3rd gen player?

anyone tried using the 12% off?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Yes (but no HD DVD support - They are adding Netflix streaming).

Yes

Darn I should of bought it when it was at $340 and used the coupon but I was low in funds and did not want to use the credit card. But it nice to know alot of you are satisfied with the system.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Deadpool, did you update the firmware?

Deal is dead BTW- $399 now (still a great deal with 10%/12% off coupons in-store).[/QUOTE]

I did not. Didn't even think of it as a matter of fact.

I just decided I wanted one of these but I am obviously too late on the deal. Are there going to be any more 10/12% coupons anytime soon? They have gotten hard to predict on these lately.

Received my player today - quite happy overall, although none of my BRD discs have arrived yet to test. Couple of weird TrueHD PCM (HDMI) issues though - on the NIN Beside You In Time HD DVD, the TrueHD track shows up as 2 channel (even after updating the BH200's firmware to 0702), and on a couple of other TrueHD discs I've tried, the TrueHD tracks show up as properly multichannel, but my receiver (Sony DG910) reads the signals as 48khz where they are 96khz from my Toshiba HD-A3.

Anyone with a similar setup (and the NIN HD DVD specifically) they could try to see if they get the same results?

Oh, the DVD upconversion is AMAZING.

I am thinking the NIN disc had "known issues" with the BH200.. AVSForum.com has a thread in the dual-format players message board about known problem discs with the player..

And did you upgrade BOTH the firmware and the driver? "0702" is just the "driver" (basically, the drive's firmware)-- there is a different upgrade to the main firmware for June 2008. (again, check AVSForum's FAQ about it)

Thanks. Yeah, I first updated the firmware via a USB stick, and then updated to 0702 via a network update. With some help from AVS, I was able to figure out that the NIN issue is just an incompatibility glitch with the player - maybe next firmware update. So my player is normal - no issues. Very happy with it.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Received my player today - quite happy overall, although none of my BRD discs have arrived yet to test. Couple of weird TrueHD PCM (HDMI) issues though - on the NIN Beside You In Time HD DVD, the TrueHD track shows up as 2 channel (even after updating the BH200's firmware to 0702), and on a couple of other TrueHD discs I've tried, the TrueHD tracks show up as properly multichannel, but my receiver (Sony DG910) reads the signals as 48khz where they are 96khz from my Toshiba HD-A3.[/QUOTE]

There are no 96khz TrueHD tracks AFAIK. The Toshiba is simply upconverting the 48khz tracks to 96khz (which is actually a glitch).

[quote name='Ruined']There are no 96khz TrueHD tracks AFAIK. The Toshiba is simply upconverting the 48khz tracks to 96khz (which is actually a glitch).[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I figured that out eventually.

bread's done
Back