Deal and/or opinion on Atari 2600

WindyCityGamer

CAGiversary!
I'd like to get a youngster in my family started on video games (she's going to be 3yo soon).

What's the best one to get? I saw a while back there was one you plug into the TV, but she'll have a brother soon, so something which allows 2 player might be preferable.

I also saw that Atari Flashback... but those are going for over $100 now. It would have been nice, I heard you can solder a cartridge slot onto it so it will use Atari cartridges.

Or is there something else out or on the way?

I'd skip the nostalgia and the Atari 2600 and pick up one of the cheap NES clones (like this one). There's a much larger selection of quality games and most of the arcade classics (Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Dig Dug) have much, much better versions on the NES. Plus, it's a system she can grow with as there are games geared towards young children (like Sesame Street), children of all ages (Super Mario Bros), and finally older children (Castlevania).

Whatever you choose, have fun and enjoy discovering this whole new world again through her eyes.

Speaking as someone with kids, get a dsi (or dsi xl) and buy the games rated ec (early childhood). If you want more info feel free to ask.

bread's done
Back