Deal on Component Cables? (PS2 & DVD)

Yes, component cables will give you a better picture than standard A/V.
coax->RCA red/yellow/white->S-video->Component->DVI

I managed to find my PS2 cable for about 8 bucks at Toys R Us, but I think it was a clearance.
For regular DVD-player compatible cables, try Monoprice.com. THey've got a six-foot 5-connection set for 5 bucks.

Don't buy Monster. They're not bad, but they are vastly overpriced for what you get.

EBgames.com has the PS2 cables for 14.99.

Component cables do offer the best picture and are the only way to get High Definition (including 480p) out of PS2 games and progressive scan for movies (on the newer ps2 models). However, very few ps2 games support even 480p, and only one or two support 1080i (one being GT4).

[quote name='DreamSymphony']Component cables do offer the best picture and are the only way to get High Definition (including 480p) out of PS2 games and progressive scan for movies (on the newer ps2 models). However, very few ps2 games support even 480p, and only one or two support 1080i (one being GT4).[/quote]
2 games support 1080i: GT4 and Tourist Trophy.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']Component cables do offer the best picture and are the only way to get High Definition (including 480p) out of PS2 games and progressive scan for movies (on the newer ps2 models). However, very few ps2 games support even 480p, and only one or two support 1080i (one being GT4).[/QUOTE]

Technically, I think, "High Definition" begins at 720p. DVD-quality 480p is considered "Enhanced Definition", I believe. For a very brief time, you could buy "EDTV"s which of course would be a waste.

I think HDTVArcade.com has a good listing of ED/HD games, though I'm not sure how up to date it is]. But if you use component instead of RCA, even on non-ED-enhanced games, the picture is a little bit crisper and brighter and clearer. It's not a jawdropping improvement, but it is there. I wouldn't spend 30 bucks on cables, but the 7 or 8 I spent was worth it.

That's why I said 480p in parenthesis.... it's not considered an HD signal but you still need a HDTV to display it... EDTV's won't do it...

bread's done
Back