Deal on Gladiator Blu-Ray? Also what is Sapphire Series?

ragtop70

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
What's the best price you've seen on Gladiator?

I've noticed there is a Sapphire edition of Gladiator in addition to the regular Blu-Ray and the 2 disc special edition. Anyone know the difference?

Sorry I posted this here. I meant post in the request a deal thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanna say I picked mine up for around $15 a few months back from BB. And Sapphire series is a line from Paramount that is supposed to have better graphics and audio than a standard blu, as well as having more bonus features.

Be aware that the original Blu-ray release had horrible PQ and there's now a remastered version. You have to check the packaging carefully to make sure you get the corrected version as the UPC didn't change. There's also a 2pk version with Braveheart being released at the beginning of August.

[quote name='JLukas']Be aware that the original Blu-ray release had horrible PQ and there's now a remastered version. You have to check the packaging carefully to make sure you get the corrected version as the UPC didn't change. There's also a 2pk version with Braveheart being released at the beginning of August.[/QUOTE]

How do we tell if it's remastered or not?

[quote name='DynamiteShikoku']How do we tell if it's remastered or not?[/QUOTE]

Yellow UPC I think. Same for Saving Private Ryan

[quote name='lolwut?']Yellow UPC I think. Same for Saving Private Ryan[/QUOTE]

there are 2 versions of Saving Private Ryan?

There's also a 2pk version with Braveheart being released at the beginning of August.

There's a Sapphire Series double pack of Gladiator/Braveheart coming out pretty soon. Also, I've heard they fixed the video problems with this edition, so no need to look for the yellow UPC. Think it's even cheaper than the Gladiator blu-ray by itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there only the "Sapphire Series" Blu-ray release for Gladiator? I don't remember ever seeing a 'regular' Blu-ray release or a special 2 disc edition.

Anyway, if you get it, just make sure to get the one with the yellow UPC as stated above! ;)

From checking on Ebay, where they were not cheap, I saw at least the 2 disc remastered special edition and the sapphire. I may have been wrong about there being a plain old Blu-Ray version.

BTW, after checking on Amazon, which is also not cheap, I've seen several different ways listed which MAY ensure that one is getting the version with better graphics, including the yellow UPC, but it is mentioned that that doesn't even guarantee a good copy. I may just wait a while.

[quote name='62t']there are 2 versions of Saving Private Ryan?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they're all gone now, but the original print run had some audio issues. The Yellow UPC one is the corrected version.

[quote name='ragtop70']From checking on Ebay, where they were not cheap, I saw at least the 2 disc remastered special edition and the sapphire. I may have been wrong about there being a plain old Blu-Ray version.

BTW, after checking on Amazon, which is also not cheap, I've seen several different ways listed which MAY ensure that one is getting the version with better graphics, including the yellow UPC, but it is mentioned that that doesn't even guarantee a good copy. I may just wait a while.[/QUOTE]

Better graphics? lolwut.

The Yellow UPC is guaranteed; what you're probably talking about is certain copies that do/don't list "2 Disc Edition" on the back; if it does have it (I think), it's supposed to be the fixed version, but you're right, it's not 100%. But the yellow is; buy it and enjoy your better graphics, lol

If someone is selling a used copy, it is possible that they have a white UPC but also have the corrected disc. An exchange program was done where the original discs could be sent in and replaced with the corrected version.

[quote name='neocisco']If someone is selling a used copy, it is possible that they have a white UPC but also have the corrected disc. An exchange program was done where the original discs could be sent in and replaced with the corrected version.[/QUOTE]

x2

For my Sunshine Bluray (I have a PS3 and there is a PIP issue through the movie due to some java standard or something), when i got my replacement from Fox Entertainment the art slip and disc art were spot on the same, i popped the disc in, and it worked perfectly. My guess is that Fox did a rapid recall and repackaged with corrected disks so as to not increase the risk of spreading the problem to more consumers.

The Sapphire Series is 2 discs (lots of extra features). There is not a version that isn't "sapphire series." It's pretty much never on sale, so the cheapest bet or best value might be to pick up the one with Braveheart that is coming out. The corrected version has a yellow UPC like others have said, stores most likely only have this one now so not too much to worry about.

[quote name='lionheart4life']The Sapphire Series is 2 discs (lots of extra features). There is not a version that isn't "sapphire series." It's pretty much never on sale, so the cheapest bet or best value might be to pick up the one with Braveheart that is coming out. The corrected version has a yellow UPC like others have said, stores most likely only have this one now so not too much to worry about.[/QUOTE]

I guess there was a 2 disc Blu-ray edition released in 2009, but it was only released in Europe and is Region B locked... so I guess you're going to want the "Sapphire" release unless you have a region-free player.

Wait, so the Sapphire Edition with the white UPC might be borked? I have that version...

I bought it for $10 in 2009 apparently. How likely is a November 2009 copy is messed up?

[quote name='imacgod']Wait, so the Sapphire Edition with the white UPC might be borked? I have that version...

I bought it for $10 in 2009 apparently. How likely is a November 2009 copy is messed up?[/QUOTE]It's pretty likely messed up.

They edge enhanced and DNR'd the original encode to the point of items disappearing from the picture.

The one with the yellow UPC is the one with the new encode which is a much better/cleaner picture.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Isn't their a disc replacement program if you get the bad one?[/QUOTE]Indeed there is.

Info I found on random Google searching about it:
[quote name='Amazon post']I called Paramount Home Entertainment at 888-889-9456 and they verified my copy I rec'd today from Amazon was the old version by asking two questions: 1) What was the color of the UPC label, yellow not white is the new version, and 2) What is the ID number on the back side of Disc 1 near the center. I had to use a magnifying glass to read it beginning with the letters "NA" and ending with "R1" for the old version or "R2" for the new. They instructed me to send disc 1 only to them with my name, address & phone for a replacement set. Here is the address: PHE Marketing, C/O Deluxe Media Mgmt, PO Box 801464, Valencia, CA 91380-1464. [/quote]

[quote name='HomeTheateLoft.com post']Anyway. If you purchased the wonky disc and live in the US or Canada, you can call Paramount customer service at 323-956-3010 and request a replacement. If you managed to avoid the disc, proper versions will appear in stores soon. We’re not sure how to identify the new corrected versions, but it’ll probably be a yellow barcode, a la Saving Private Ryan. We’ll let you know if there are any updates.[/quote]

Well, there you go.

Sounds like best bet is to try to buy locally and find a copy with a yellow UPC. And if you happen to get the old version, just mail off the disc for a replacement.

Ordering online will just be luck of the draw on whether you get the new one or not, so I'd opt to wait for a local deal at Best Buy or Target etc. to try to avoid the hassle of having to mail off for a replacement.

Thanks for the info, shrike. I was thinking about trading it in and picking up the Braveheart two-pack, but I think I should at least replace the disc instead of shipping of a bad copy.

Speaking of Gladiator, does anyone know which version of the Blu-ray Netflix will send me if I put it in my queue? Or is it just a total crapshoot?

bread's done
Back