Deal or no deal? SW: The Old Republic Offering Free Trial

FlyingMonkey9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
79 (100%)
Up to level 15, not dissimilar from what WOW did.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20120710-0

Free Trial participants will experience the opening adventures of each of the eight character classes in the game. Players will explore their classes' Origin World, and may even have the opportunity to visit their faction’s Capital World! Additionally, Free Trial players will have the chance to face off against other players in Player-vs.-Player Warzones, or join up with friends and play through a Flashpoint.
Players who have previously participated in one of the Weekend Pass Free Trials or the Friends of Star Wars: The Old Republic Trial are also eligible to join this new free trial!
Visit www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/trial to create your account, download the game, and begin your free trial experience! Have questions? Visit the Free Trial FAQ for more details.

If you're a Star Wars fan, this is a great deal. It's an especially good deal if you remember Knights of the Old Republic and enjoyed it.

Just didn't want the chorus of OMG you've been here since 2008 and posted this not under the free section SHAQ FU

Considering I JUST bought a new laptop, this is perfect timing. Will try it out, probably not pay monthly- its going to go F2P eventually

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Considering I JUST bought a new laptop, this is perfect timing. Will try it out, probably not pay monthly- its going to go F2P eventually[/QUOTE]

I agree, it'll probably be F2P at some point. I played for a free trial, and it was great.

They have enough subscribers and there's so many different fingers in the pie that it's unlikely it will go f2p for quite some time. With the recent server merges and 1.3 being released they're also getting a bunch of players back. The 7 day friends trial was actually a better deal as it only takes a couple hours to get up to level 10, but free to level 15 is pretty industry-standard. Also, the game is currently discounted to $20 in several places, I wouldn't be surprised if some new players picked it up.

thumbnail.aspx

[quote name='Brother Daz']
thumbnail.aspx
[/QUOTE]

So I wasn't the only one who read the title in Howie's voice. :booty:

I guess they're trying to stop the bleeding of subs. Probably worth it just to try since I heard the story's good.. until the end-game (or lack thereof).

[quote name='Brother Daz']
thumbnail.aspx
[/QUOTE]

no deal, if you waited this long, you can afford to wait longer when it goes to f2p, and trust me it will be f2p. look at what happen to dc universe, LOL

[quote name='YBX87']no deal, if you waited this long, you can afford to wait longer when it goes to f2p, and trust me it will be f2p. look at what happen to dc universe, LOL[/QUOTE]

So, yeah... From the link:

Now you will be able to live out your very own Star Wars™ saga with thousands of other players up to level 15 with no charge or time limit

Basically looks like it already is F2P, or are you worried about paying once you reach level 15? Don't worry, you can be level 15 as long as you want...

[quote name='Xaliqen']So, yeah... From the link:

Basically looks like it already is F2P, or are you worried about paying once you reach level 15? Don't worry, you can be level 15 as long as you want...[/QUOTE]

i mean it will eventually become free 2 play, with no level 15 cap restrictions.

[quote name='YBX87']i mean it will eventually become free 2 play, with no level 15 cap restrictions.[/QUOTE]

Probably, I had a lot of fun playing it on a free trial though.

I imagine I'll go back to my game and explore a bit more.

[quote name='yodadamanadamwan']They have enough subscribers and there's so many different fingers in the pie that it's unlikely it will go f2p for quite some time. With the recent server merges and 1.3 being released they're also getting a bunch of players back. The 7 day friends trial was actually a better deal as it only takes a couple hours to get up to level 10, but free to level 15 is pretty industry-standard. Also, the game is currently discounted to $20 in several places, I wouldn't be surprised if some new players picked it up.[/QUOTE]
EA pls go.

[quote name='YBX87']i mean it will eventually become free 2 play, with no level 15 cap restrictions.[/QUOTE]

Free to play doesn't exist- they still make you pay to play if you want to advance normally. I really hate the microtransaction model. Would rather pay 60 dollars for life than download for free and be buckle and dimes over small things like instant transport etc.

Theres aversion F2P games on the app store are also the highest grossing

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Free to play doesn't exist- they still make you pay to play if you want to advance normally. I really hate the microtransaction model. Would rather pay 60 dollars for life than download for free and be buckle and dimes over small things like instant transport etc.

Theres aversion F2P games on the app store are also the highest grossing[/QUOTE]

what i mean by f2p is you only need to pay for the game itself, and there are no subscription online monthly fees, sort of similar to games like diablo 3/ guild wars

I did weekend trial (eligible for free trial) but for some reason it's giving me a message that my account doesn't have an active subscription. :|

EDIT: Ahh NM you actually have to go on the site sign-in and click on the free trial button to "activate" it. They should have just canvas all the trial accounts and converted them. OMG RAGE EXTRA WORK!

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys realize that WAR was an even bigger failure than SWTOR, and that's still a sub game nearly 4 years later? And it's run by the same company.

So, yeah.

Last year, around Thanksgiving IIRC, they offered a beta trial where I downloaded the 26 GB or so the client weighed and waited for the assigned trial time. They gave me Black Friday, when I wasn't even going to be home. Morons.

It took a little futzing around to get the trial activated, but it's updating the client now. Hopefully it won't take too long to get up to date. I've never done a MMORPG other than a little Guild Wars, but I love Star Wars (can't get into sword and spell games) and FREE is the right price for me. Thanks, OP!

Sounds good, I loved KoTOR, but I will not play this until I finish KoTOR II, regardless of whether there's any real impact of playing this first.

[quote name='Ninersfan4926']Sounds good, I loved KoTOR, but I will not play this until I finish KoTOR II, regardless of whether there's any real impact of playing this first.[/QUOTE]

Not really, Bioware basically shat all over KOTOR 2 with that novel Revan that came out last year.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Not really, Bioware basically shat all over KOTOR 2 with that novel Revan that came out last year.[/QUOTE]

This is true, and for that, it was quoted.

I played one of the free-weekend Beta's after being semi-excited since the game was announced, and was disappointed right off the bat due to a myriad of reasons. Mostly it was just that my rig was too under-powered, but the narrative was face-palm retarded at some points (I didnt get very far, it was one of the Imperial guys).

That said, I replaced the gfx card in this toaster since then, so I'm downloading it again just to see if I'll get anything more than the previous headache out of this.

Free is free, and I'd like to give this at least one more go before I write it off completely.

I made up a female Republic cyborg smuggler and ran her up to L4 last night and I'm really not feeling the game, either as role-playing or action-adventure. I just don't get what's going on. I'll try some more.

BTW, it took perhaps 30-45 minutes to DL the updates to the beta to get it current, so that was nice. Perhaps 2 GB came down? Wasn't staring at it to add it up.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I made up a female Republic cyborg smuggler and ran her up to L4 last night and I'm really not feeling the game, either as role-playing or action-adventure. I just don't get what's going on. I'll try some more.

BTW, it took perhaps 30-45 minutes to DL the updates to the beta to get it current, so that was nice. Perhaps 2 GB came down? Wasn't staring at it to add it up.[/QUOTE]

I would continue to at least level 10 to get a better feel of the game. That's when you choose your advanced class, get access to the fleet and most importantly warzones.

A little tidbit of information for prospective players is that you can play warzones as a level 15 character and your stats are buffed to a level 49 character. So you basically have free PvP for life ... ;-)

Made an Imperial Agent, so far enjoying it more than w/e the hell I did in the beta. It feels more like KOTOR than just a re-skinned WoW (especially with the 'take cover' mechanic) but not by much. I just figured out the 'taxi-service' is just the Flight Path equivalent from WoW, lol.

Graphically, even with EVERYTHING turned off/low (save for running @ my monitors native resolution), it runs at a silky-smooth 60fps even on this crap PC, AND with teh added benefit of not looking like complete swill (launch 360/KOTOR with mods level of detail).

Being a snarky dickhead is fun so far, I'd definitely like to see the game to p2p or f2p.
I'm pretty much done with subscription based MMO gaming, especially after playing some Tribes:Ascend & the Dust514 beta, so I'd totally support cosmetic/companion microtransactions for this. Aside, It's a shame that the end-game content is still copy/pasted from WoW, I would've liked to see some of the sandbox elements from SWG return, and other competitive mp like Pazaak or Pod-Racing, instead of just PVP. Oh well...

PS: does anyone know how to turn OFF the chat window entirely when in a dialogue/cutscene? Kind of ruins the immersion, and I can't seem to find the bloody option. It's fine in the overworld, but annoying when I'm trying to talk to an NPC.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']PS: does anyone know how to turn OFF the chat window entirely when in a dialogue/cutscene? Kind of ruins the immersion, and I can't seem to find the bloody option. It's fine in the overworld, but annoying when I'm trying to talk to an NPC.[/QUOTE]

If you can, it's prolly in the interface editor. Pretty sure there's a tab for cutscenes.

bread's done
Back