dealing with a broken item on delivery.

ohram

CAGiversary!
Feedback
138 (100%)
I recently bought a gamecube memory card from an Amazon seller. It showed up dead on arrival. I emailed the seller telling him that it was dead when I got it and asked what I should do next. Then I got an email this morning saying he's shipped out a second one and wants me to return the first. Not exactly something I wanted to do or even asked for. The shipping was more than the cost of the item and I would feel pretty stupid spending double what I paid for only the one item. I've emailed him asking him to cancel that second order, but can anything really be done at this point?

I'm not familiar with all the rules and stuff but couldn't you ask him to pay the cost of the return shipping? If he refuses then would you really have to ship it back?

[quote name='DV8']I'm not familiar with all the rules and stuff but couldn't you ask him to pay the cost of the return shipping? If he refuses then would you really have to ship it back?[/QUOTE]

I'm unsure about the rules and what not too. Thankfully this was my only defective item so far from shopping online.

yeah i would tell them exactly that. if it costs you more to ship it back, its not worth it to you. since you did not request a replacement, simply email them and do

1 - tell them you will delivery refuse the item or return to sender on the package and would like a refund on the broken card. If they wish to return the item back on their dime you will.

2 - keep the new one but tell them to include $1 or refund you $1 to return the other one back via first class envelope.

3 - keep both, dont return the broken one, and tell them the cost to return ship at your expense is not worth the cost of the item

As the others, I'm not familiar with the rules. With that being said, I'd go with option #3 above. IMO, it's awesome that he went ahead and mailed out a replacement without you first returning the defective one. Of course, depending on what you paid for the card constitutes whether or not you should send the defective one back. If you paid > $10, I say send it back. If < $10, politely email him and tell them it really isn't cost-effective to send it back, and if he wants it back he can reimburse you $1 for your time and postage to return it.

Just got an email telling me to forget sending the broken one back and to see if the replacement works. Hopefully this one works. I've had Zelda: The Gamecube collection and Wind Waker for months now but had no way to play them.

bread's done
Back