Deals on Deadwood set?

Is the show any good. We got comcast on demand and they got all 12 eps for the first season on Demand. Thinking about getting 2 blank Vcr tapes and tape the entire first season on tape for free

[quote name='P0ldy']The show's brilliant.

But I can't part with $80 so easily.[/quote]

If you love ANY HBO show other than Curb Your Enthusiasm, be prepared to spend more than you wanted to on a "season" of an HBO show. They have charged the most of any box set, when you compare how many episodes you get. (The average HBO show runs 7-9 eps per season.) At 80 dollars, that's over 10 bucks an episode.

I watched Deadwood for the first time last night. Maybe it's because I walked in on it too late for a story, or what, but frankly, I wasn't that impressed. Plus when someone drops the F-Bomb that much in a scene, really makes me want to tune out. I'm no prude... I just didn't think you could use it that much in a sentence. :twoguns:

[quote name='Watchman'][quote name='P0ldy']The show's brilliant.

If you love ANY HBO show other than Curb Your Enthusiasm, be prepared to spend more than you wanted to on a "season" of an HBO show. They have charged the most of any box set, when you compare how many episodes you get. (The average HBO show runs 7-9 eps per season.) At 80 dollars, that's over 10 bucks an episode.

I watched Deadwood for the first time last night. Maybe it's because I walked in on it too late for a story, or what, but frankly, I wasn't that impressed. Plus when someone drops the F-Bomb that much in a scene, really makes me want to tune out. I'm no prude... I just didn't think you could use it that much in a sentence. :twoguns:[/quote]

I know what you mean about the F-word. I think they use it just because they can and not because the story requires it.

Actually, the producers claim that's the way people talked back then in that area. Also, the constant F bombs are used to portray machismo and to hide any weakness a character might have. Though, at 80$, I have decided that I do not like the show enough for that price. I did pay 74.99$ for The Wire Season 2 (S1 bought with a gift card), which I felt was worth the price, and possibly not popular enough to find used quickly. Depends on the series.

[quote name='Watchman'][quote name='P0ldy']The show's brilliant.

I watched Deadwood for the first time last night. Maybe it's because I walked in on it too late for a story, or what, but frankly, I wasn't that impressed. Plus when someone drops the F-Bomb that much in a scene, really makes me want to tune out. I'm no prude... I just didn't think you could use it that much in a sentence. :twoguns:[/quote]
You're right, which is why I don't own any HBO shows except CYE. The Sopranos, OZ, Six Feet Under - I like them all, but they're all too expensive.

Moreover, I don't recommend starting Deadwood in the middle of the season. Too much of last night's episode has been built on the past few shows.

And as the post above me suggested, this show is very well researched. Most of the characters are based on a real-life equivalent, and the language is exceptionally accurate. Also, 1.5 murders a day took place in Deadwood, and most of the episodes stick to that number, oddly enough.

I don't know of any deals on it, I liked deadwood, but I won't be spending money on the boxset anytime soon...OZ, The Wire, Soprano's, and Carnivale are the HBO shows I have bought..I didn't realize the 2nd season of the Wire was out yet

bread's done
Back