Deals on "The Mist" (2-disc)?

I thought that the movie was good sort of but bombed in the end. I don't want to give it away but you should definately download it first before buying. i don't mind adults getting killed in movies but i have to draw the line with kids getting killed. not gonna say who though or by who. i thing is for sure the movie was not exatly like the book and the book did not end the way the movie does. so in conclusion the movie could have been great if they would have followed the book a little. you know s. k. moives they always have the potiential but who ever directs them or edits them is not always S. K. him self so thats why they end up low budget and made for tv or dvd most of the time. just to say this i was upset as hell when i saw the ending and left the theatre fucked up mentally and that is hard to do cause i am already fucked up mentally some what.

[quote name='zachtmetalman']I thought that the movie was good sort of but bombed in the end. I don't want to give it away but you should definately download it first before buying. i don't mind adults getting killed in movies but i have to draw the line with kids getting killed. not gonna say who though or by who. i thing is for sure the movie was not exatly like the book and the book did not end the way the movie does. so in conclusion the movie could have been great if they would have followed the book a little. you know s. k. moives they always have the potiential but who ever directs them or edits them is not always S. K. him self so thats why they end up low budget and made for tv or dvd most of the time. just to say this i was upset as hell when i saw the ending and left the theatre fucked up mentally and that is hard to do cause i am already fucked up mentally some what.[/quote]
Yeah, I heard the ending was pretty bleak, which I really have no problems with and rather enjoy at times. So I think it'll be worthy and I rarely rent anymore, but I'm confident I'll get some enjoyment out of the movie no matter what the case and the features on the 2 disc seem damn nice.

Tagline on the front of the DVD package: "...One of the most shocking movie endings ever!"

The director also did Shawshank and Green Mile = I'm definitely interested.

Target online-only ad has the 2-disc for $24.99.

[quote name='zachtmetalman']I thought that the movie was good sort of but bombed in the end. I don't want to give it away but you should definately download it first before buying. i don't mind adults getting killed in movies but i have to draw the line with kids getting killed.[/quote]

Nice spoilerizing there, pal. :roll: In any case, it's about time a horror movie was truly, deeply, powerfully horrifying. Yes, this movie will fuck you up bad.

Please keep this thread spoiler-free. I have not seen the movie yet. And yes, I've heard the ending is bad but I still don't want to know what it is.

The movie's ending is actually in no way similar to the ending of King's original story. I don't know that he was involved with the new ending.

[quote name='MrJymm']The movie's ending is actually in no way similar to the ending of King's original story. I don't know that he was involved with the new ending.[/quote]

He was not but, after viewing it, opined that the movie ending is how he should have ended the novella.

he wasn't involved but he approved of it

i guess people are shocked cause the movie wasn't a happy ending

i enjoyed it, it was more realistic

fuck that Saw shit, I'm happy there was an actual GOOD horror movie with a GOOD story for once. Haven't seen one like this in a long time.

I enjoyed the movie and I enjoyed the book. You can't really say that about alot of books turned into movies. I really liked the ending in the movie (not your average hollywood happy horse-shit ending).

[quote name='jond76']the end of the movie had a great message: Never Give Up.[/quote]

Funny, the novel had ended with the same message, in a completely different context.

Loved the movie and i'm looking for deals as well, the ending fit to me. And for my two cents zachtmetalman needs to put that shit in spoilers, telling way too much

I pre-ordered from DeepDiscount a few weeks ago when they had the 2 Disc for $19 & the 1 Disc for $22. They caught on & put it at $25 though. Haven't seen it, but I'm looking forward to it showing up in the mail this week. :)

[quote name='zachtmetalman']I thought that the movie was good sort of but bombed in the end. I don't want to give it away but you should definately download it first before buying. [/QUOTE]

You should have stopped here.

One of the best movies I saw last year. I loved it.

I think one of the reasons I liked it so much was seeing it without knowing a damn thing about it.

Go into this completely dumb. It's very good.

[quote name='thrustbucket']One of the best movies I saw last year. I loved it.

I think one of the reasons I liked it so much was seeing it without knowing a damn thing about it.

Go into this completely dumb. It's very good.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I had no idea it was a
monster
movie. I thought it was just about
spirits or something
. This movie left me emotionally drained. Great film!

Think I'm going to get it at best buy. I would like to read the book. I didn't really like the movie all that much but the ending was great. That is what made the movie.

Just got done watching it. My sum up with no spoilers...

So goddamn fucked up and felt more like a zombie movie with humanities greater danger isn't the unknown, but ourselves. In short, great shit. Loved it.

Saw it last night with my wife. I would HIGHLY recommend watching it with your spouse/girlfriend for the extreme reaction they'll give at the end. I'll quote my wife's actual response: "No!, No! No, no, no...
If he had only waited 10 more minutes!!
". As for the rest of the movie, I almost felt like I was watching a movie version of Half-Life of the Colossus. There are some purely amazing sequences here.

The only thing I don't understand is this (about the DVD, not the movie): Why would they need to include a 2nd disc with the Black & White version of the same movie? Every T.V. has a color option that can be turned all the way down, thus giving us a B&W version of anything....

[quote name='Kerig']Saw it last night with my wife. I would HIGHLY recommend watching it with your spouse/girlfriend for the extreme reaction they'll give at the end (I'll quote my wife's actual response: "No!, No! No, no, no...". As for the rest of the movie, I almost felt like I was watching a movie version of Half-Life of the Colossus. There are some purely amazing sequences here.

The only thing I don't understand is this (about the DVD, not the movie): Why would they need to include a 2nd disc with the Black & White version of the same movie? Every T.V. has a color option that can be turned all the way down, thus giving us a B&W version of anything....[/quote]
Simply because Frank Darabont originally wanted the movie to be done in black and white, because that's how he pictured the movie originally. Though obviously it's harder to market a black and white movie to the mainstream so instead it was made as another way to watch the movie. Some scenes in the movie though look great in black and white, like the special effects seem to benefit from it ALOT specifically.

Though yeah, LOVED the ending because it's soooo unexpected and nothing you really wanted.

[quote name='bardockkun']Simply because Frank Darabont originally wanted the movie to be done in black and white[/quote]

Right, I completely understand the reasoning just not the implementation of a whole 2nd disc with the same movie without color. They could have included Darabont's B&W intro that's on disc 2 on the 1st disc with the inclusion of: "turn off your Television's color to see his true vision come to life" or the likes.

I remember thinking to myself the other day: B&W on disc 2? that would be like featuring an additional audio track as the "silent version" of the movie where they took out the audio...you know, the same thing as muting the movie. Come to think of it, there was something close to that on a Nosferatu release (one with the original silent, another audio track with a classical goth soundtrack accompaniment).

[quote name='Kerig']Right, I completely understand the reasoning just not the implementation of a whole 2nd disc with the same movie without color. They could have included Darabont's B&W intro that's on disc 2 on the 1st disc with the inclusion of: "turn off your Television's color to see his true vision come to life" or the likes.[/quote]
Yeah, but how many people would really take that seriously? Personally, I don't think I would've changed the setting on my TV all because it suggested it and I appreciate it's on there. Though maybe I'm just lazy, I don't know.

[quote name='bardockkun']Yeah, but how many people would really take that seriously? Personally, I don't think I would've changed the setting on my TV all because it suggested it and I appreciate it's on there. Though maybe I'm just lazy, I don't know.[/quote]

With my dual-five-disc-DVD-carousels aside (my 10-disc HDMI-upconverting monster for short), it's technically lazier to change the color than to change the disc :) (Don't get me started on my hatred towards double-sided DVDs) :oldman:

But to keep this on topic: which version is truly better for us to watch? Does anyone think it should have only been released in B&W like the director would have preferred?

Dang, I really want to see this movie and I'm not even a huge horror fan. Hopefully I can rent both discs from the set through Netflix.

For anyone who has seen both the theatrical (color) and director (black & white) cuts... are there any differences besides the color filter. I thought I read somewhere that some of the content was different. Thanks!

Oh and fuck Hollywood endings where they are tossed on! I hate when studios force directors to change the ending because people can't accept that not every story has a happy ending.

The black and white version is the way to watch this. It's what the director intended. Yes, color or lack of it does change the mood and focus of what you pay attention to.

Watched this last night and I'll throw in my thumbs up for this movie as well. Highly recommended.

I'm not a horror gore guy (Hostel and the like) so was wondering how much would be in this, but to me it plays more like a suspenseful monster movie than that type. As for the ending...great stuff indeed.

As far as I can tell, the black and white content wise is the same as the movie so no difference at all. Personally I like it in black and white because it feels like a different experience after watching it (especially with the monsters showing up).

Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely try to rent this ASAP. Unfortunately, Netflix said there was a very long wait for it so I might just go to Blockbuster if I can't wait.

[quote name='Filmmaker']He was not but, after viewing it, opined that the movie ending is how he should have ended the novella.[/QUOTE]

People keep saying that the movie ending is radically different from that of the book, but I just don't get it. I mean, the main character envisions the ending from the film in his head like, 3 pages before the end of the book. Its not that different.

[quote name='TemplePilot']People keep saying that the movie ending is radically different from that of the book, but I just don't get it. I mean, the main character envisions the ending from the film in his head like, 3 pages before the end of the book. Its not that different.[/quote]

I just re-read everything from the point where
they escape the supermarket
to the end and there is no such scene. I'm not saying it isn't there, but if it is, it's earlier in the text than you assert. In any case, if you don't see the rather vast difference between a character imagining something so horrifying and actually doing it, I can't help you...

It's been a few months, so I'm resurrecting this.

WTB: The Mist 2 Disc Special Edition

Been waiting forever for Netflix to pass me Disc 2 of this flick; the disc that has the special BLACK AND WHITE version of this movie that I haven't seen.

Giving up now.

Would like to buy the 2 disc set. I don't have Blu-Ray yet (BURN THE HERETIC).

I will probably go to Blu-Ray eventually, but for now I just want to buy what will probably be the last straight standard DVD I ever purchase.

Suggest the best purchase price; anyone?

[quote name='rsigley']12.79 + tax after rebate/membership card at fye.com

free shipping for $25 and up[/quote]Does anyone know if this is in-store as well?

[quote name='zachtmetalman']I thought that the movie was good sort of but bombed in the end. I don't want to give it away but you should definately download it first before buying. i don't mind adults getting killed in movies but i have to draw the line with kids getting killed.[/quote]Kinda off topic, but this reminds me of onetime I was at Wal-Mart. I had the DOOM dvd in hand and a employee saw me holding it and said it was a good movie. He then went on to say,
"I don't want to give away anything, but
The Rock turns into an alien at the end
" :wall:

[quote name='Filmmaker']HOLD OFF!!! THE MIST is coming to Blu-ray in Sept.; if you've made it this long, you can wait a little longer![/quote]That won't be cheap. ;)

I'm still waiting. I recently saw it online because I couldn't wait for the 2-disc to be on sale (although I doubt they'll have it on sale). I freaking loved it and the ending was either one of the most horrible ending ever concieved or one of the most gutsy yet realistic ending ever. The movie traumatized me for a few hours but luckily, the feeling was all gone the next day. Still, I really want to show it to my brother and mom.

[quote name='moviewizguy']I'm still waiting. I recently saw it online because I couldn't wait for the 2-disc to be on sale (although I doubt they'll have it on sale). I freaking loved it and the ending was either one of the most horrible ending ever concieved or one of the most gutsy yet realistic ending ever. The movie traumatized me for a few hours but luckily, the feeling was all gone the next day. Still, I really want to show it to my brother and mom.[/quote]

Most horrible ending ever conceived....EVER! :bomb:

This movie officially killed my love for Frank Darabont.

In fact I hate this movie so much I'm gonna give away the ending so people don't have to waste one thin dime on this dreck.

Here it is:

THE GROUP OF ESCAPEES FROM THE TOWN RUN OUT OF GAS AND THEN WITH EVERYONES CONSENT THE FATHER KILLS EVERYONE IN THE CAR INCLUDING HIS SON, BECAUSE AFTER GOING THROUGH ALL THIS SHIT THEY DECIDE THAT THEY CAN'T GO ON ANYMORE???? (QUINTUPAL WTF MOMENT!). HE CAN'T KILL HIMSELF BECAUSE HE RUNS OUT OF BULLETS. AFTER THIS HAPPENS HE HEARS LOUD NOISES, THE MIST CLEARS, HE SEES SOLDIERS CLEARING AWAY THE MIST....HE IS RESCUED AND IN AGONY HE SCREAMS AT THE CAMERA FOR KILLING HIS OWN SON. THE END.

This movie redefined suckage.

I think this is one of the best King adaptations and I really liked the ending, more King than the story version was. If you hated the ending of this movie, then never read any of King's short stories. Survival is not the norm.

bread's done
Back