Death of the Gamecube disc - slot-loading Wii

nwaugh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Is anyone else concerned that the the slot-loader on the Wii will scratch up or just generally wreak havoc with the small discs of the Gamecube? Even if the slot-loader is perfect, isn't it going to be a lot easier for little (or big) hands to damage the discs while trying to get them in and out of the console?

I have great, meaty paws, so I'm hoping the Wii will ejaculate them out of the slot with enough force to make Peter North jealous.

That way I don't have to grab them, and If it makes a *splrt* sound it's just added value.

I'm not concerned at all. If it ends up ruining gamecube discs, then nintendo wouldn't have put the feature in. If it does happen, I'm sure they will offer replacements. Nintendo gives you a brand new ds lite if you have the superficial crack, so Im pretty sure they would take care of it.

This brings up an interesting side question....

If Nintendo remakes GC games with Wii controls, will they be on Wii sized discs or GC sized?

Me? I'm mammoth sized.

Worst-case scenario, there will be plenty of used GC systems available due to their obsolescence (unless you need something to play your GB/GBC titles on).

[quote name='nwaugh']Is anyone else concerned that the the slot-loader on the Wii will scratch up or just generally wreak havoc with the small discs of the Gamecube? Even if the slot-loader is perfect, isn't it going to be a lot easier for little (or big) hands to damage the discs while trying to get them in and out of the console?[/QUOTE]

No offense, but don't you think that Nitendo has not only thought this out, but has tested the hell out of this? I don't have any worries. I am generally very careful with my games so I don't think you need to be too concerned.

Nintendo could make a system out of a cardboard box in 2 weeks and it still would last longer then anything Sony could make i.e. PS2

Next thing you know, we'll hear it's not GC disc compatible.

I would kill several ferrets in a fit of revenge-fueled rage.

There will probably be a plastic disc that you slap the gc disc into the middle. Kinda like the small cd singles they had back in the 80's.

[quote name='Strell']Next thing you know, we'll hear it's not GC disc compatible.

I would kill several ferrets in a fit of revenge-fueled rage.[/quote] Considering I just sold my GC to EB for $50, yes I would throw a fit.

Sounds like a valid concern until you consider the previous sterling record of Nintendo when it comes to quality equipment. I'm not worried, although if for some reason this turns out to be a problem I will still have my Cube anyway.

Reality's Fringe;2285803 said:
That way I don't have to grab them, and If it makes a *splrt* sound it's just added value.

Actually, I'm hoping for a cough, ala Jay Sherman in "The Critic."

ACCH-EM!!!

[quote name='Tybee']Actually, I'm hoping for a cough, ala Jay Sherman in "The Critic."

ACCH-EM!!![/QUOTE]

BUY MY BOOK!

BUY MY BOOK!

BUY MY BOOK!

[quote name='Vinny']Well, I'm keeping my GC as there's no point in getting rid of it. It sells for crap so I decided to keep it.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't consider $50 crap. It can get you any wii game and almost another wii-mote and nunchuku.

[quote name='pinoy530']I wouldn't consider $50 crap. It can get you any wii game and almost another wii-mote and nunchuku.[/quote] I agree, especially when the Wii will perform all the functions of my GC that I sold. Since I never had a GBA Player or network adapter.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']So wait, EB is giving $50 for a Cube?! Last I heard, they were giving $25 . . .[/quote]Nope, this past weekend they bumped it back up to $30 and started a + $20 bonus for GC trade ins.

Keep in mind (if you only have one controller and want to use it on your Wii) though you need the system, cables and a controller. A new controller is $24.99 retail but you can buy one for less than half of that on Ebay.

So I found it to be a good deal.

Nintendo makes quality products so I'm not too worried about my gamecube discs. I did think the same thing though at one point.

I had the same concern - and it isn't so much about the Wii itself, as the method of handling the GC discs when getting them into the slot loader. I have a hell of a time getting my wife/kids not to fingerprint-up GC games as it is (they often become unplayable until I clean them) - I fear it will be 10 times worse if they have to insert them into this slot drive sideways. So I'm keeping the GC for GC games. Plus I figure the less wear and tear on the slot-loading drive the better. I'll just use it for Wii games. And, eventually, I might want to move the GC to another part of the house, so it's worth keeping for that reason too. By that time I might be able to train eveyone on proper handling of the Wii :D.

[quote name='io']I had the same concern - and it isn't so much about the Wii itself, as the method of handling the GC discs when getting them into the slot loader. I have a hell of a time getting my wife/kids not to fingerprint-up GC games as it is (they often become unplayable until I clean them) - I fear it will be 10 times worse if they have to insert them into this slot drive sideways. So I'm keeping the GC for GC games. Plus I figure the less wear and tear on the slot-loading drive the better. I'll just use it for Wii games. And, eventually, I might want to move the GC to another part of the house, so it's worth keeping for that reason too. By that time I might be able to train eveyone on proper handling of the Wii :D.[/quote]thats exactly what i was thinking, if i ever move out or something i can take one system with me and leave the other at home

cd players in cars are slot loaders, yes? I've never had a problem with those scratching up discs. Thusly, I am not worried.

[quote name='cjclifford']cd players in cars are slot loaders, yes? I've never had a problem with those scratching up discs. Thusly, I am not worried.[/quote]unfortunately cd's are not the same size as the gcn discs

While I agree with some of the comments that it's extraordinarily unlikely that Nintendo will make a system that will scratch or otherwise ruin the discs (Xbox 360, I'm looking at *you*), I'll still be playing my 'Cube games on the system they were designed for.

...Unless of course you get some kind of Nerd Points on your Wii for playing 'Cube games! :D

ill be keeping my gc just for the fact that although i trust nintendo for quality, all lasers eventually burn out from use so ill play gamecube on gc to avoid a possible early death of my wii.

Even though the cube is going to be useless I would never dream of selling it for what boils down to much less than a days worth of work

[quote name='Tybee']Actually, I'm hoping for a cough, ala Jay Sherman in "The Critic."

ACCH-EM!!![/QUOTE]

I just want to say, apropo of nothing, that if there's an avatar contest, you win like three hundred times over.

[quote name='mforge']I just want to say, apropo of nothing, that if there's an avatar contest, you win like three hundred times over.[/quote]

Thanks for that. But it's just the cover for Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea," my favorite album (minus the Wombat treatment, of course).

[quote name='Tybee']Thanks for that. But it's just the cover for Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea," my favorite album (minus the Wombat treatment, of course).[/QUOTE]

The WLA kerchief over my favorite album ever is why you win 300 times over.

(Edit to nominally stay on topic: I would trust the Wii slot loader with my copy of NMH)

My GC can't read discs consistantly anymore, so I hope the Wii plays them just fine. My only question is about if it resets to the Wii Channels when you eject a disc, thus making Freeloaders useless in the system.

[quote name='nwaugh']Is anyone else concerned that the the slot-loader on the Wii will scratch up or just generally wreak havoc with the small discs of the Gamecube? [/QUOTE]

This is what Sony would call a feature.

[quote name='io']I had the same concern - and it isn't so much about the Wii itself, as the method of handling the GC discs when getting them into the slot loader. I have a hell of a time getting my wife/kids not to fingerprint-up GC games as it is (they often become unplayable until I clean them) - I fear it will be 10 times worse if they have to insert them into this slot drive sideways. So I'm keeping the GC for GC games. Plus I figure the less wear and tear on the slot-loading drive the better. I'll just use it for Wii games. And, eventually, I might want to move the GC to another part of the house, so it's worth keeping for that reason too. By that time I might be able to train eveyone on proper handling of the Wii :D.[/QUOTE]
Same with me, I'll preserve both systems and play the game on the such system.

Game companies make their money on software, not consoles, so I am sure you will see many topics pop up upon release of the Wii and PS3 with complaints about games getting scratched. I am not saying that it will all be the systems fault but with slot loaders you have to handle the game disks much more than tray or lid systems.

Personally, I like the lid method as I have never scratched up one PS1, Dreamcast, PS2 (on the slim system) or Gamecube game with the way the disks lock into place not really touching anything.

Moving to slot loading probably has to do with piracy as it will be a little harder to trick the system but I am sure you will see mod chips and what not by Christmas time.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']My GC can't read discs consistantly anymore, so I hope the Wii plays them just fine. My only question is about if it resets to the Wii Channels when you eject a disc, thus making Freeloaders useless in the system.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, that would be awful. Nintendo went from being potentially awesome this generation with imports to being even more backwards then they were last generation.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']My GC can't read discs consistantly anymore, so I hope the Wii plays them just fine. My only question is about if it resets to the Wii Channels when you eject a disc, thus making Freeloaders useless in the system.[/quote]
Possibly, but there has to be a way to allow the disc to be ejected and still have the game be "on" as someone, somewhere is going to want to make a multi-disc game for the Wii.

The current Freeloaders might not work but no doubt there will be a solution coming down the line for imports. (Why couldn't it just be region free like the DS? :( )

[quote name='daroga']Possibly, but there has to be a way to allow the disc to be ejected and still have the game be "on" as someone, somewhere is going to want to make a multi-disc game for the Wii.

The current Freeloaders might not work but no doubt there will be a solution coming down the line for imports. (Why couldn't it just be region free like the DS? :( )[/quote]yea i would have loved region free >< blasted protection of the economy

bread's done
Back