Deathsmiles - out now!

I got my shipment notice from Gamestop about an hour ago. I'm definitely looking forward to this. I didn't even realize it had online coop. It does? If so, I'd be up for that for sure.

I hope the game sells well enough so more Cave shooters can come over to the US.

My copy shipped from GS yesterday (so psyched!). I might pick up a second copy of my local game store has it today or the GS near my workplace has it so I can start playing it.

I still haven't gotten my shipment notice from Gamestop. :drool: I moved it from Amazon because they have their finger up their butt shipping it.

SONUVABITCH
My Gamestop.com order was delayed because of wrong billing info! I thought I fixed this during the Blazeblu LE fiasco! Everyone is playing this game but me
fuck YOU GAMESTOP

I pre-ordered at Gamestop.com, but when I checked at work, it still wasn't shipped. I didn't want to wait, so I stopped at the store on the way home and got one. When I logged on at home, it said "shipped". I'll probably hang on to it, this game'll probably be a collector's item.

When I asked the girl behind the counter, she said that they "got several preorders." They kept it in a case, and I saw at least 1 more. She said people usually pre-order the "awkward titles" otherwise they don't get them. :drool::bouncy::lol:

[quote name='darkslime']I just ordered from Amazon and it says it doesn't ship til July. WTF?![/QUOTE]

July is tomorrow.

Yep. YOu can beat it in 45 minutes. It's all about high score and replay.

Has anybody tried it with a stick? I've been using the controller and it's awkward to hold the left trigger and move with the dpad.

I wish this game had a tutorial mode to explain how bombs work, how your familiar works, and the other features of the game.

I haven't touched the game yet, but I play all my shmups on stick

unless they're on psp... those games are pain in ass to play!!!

[quote name='2DMention']Yep. YOu can beat it in 45 minutes. It's all about high score and replay.

Has anybody tried it with a stick? I've been using the controller and it's awkward to hold the left trigger and move with the dpad.

I wish this game had a tutorial mode to explain how bombs work, how your familiar works, and the other features of the game.[/QUOTE]

I busted out my SFIV TE stick. Unfortunately I will need to play once with a controller cuz I need to move my Familiar around for an achievement. But after taht I am going to use my TE Stick for this game. Only way to play it IMHO. :D

Can't wait to get back home after work and play this awesome game some more :)

I love the game and even if it only takes an hour (at most) to beat, there are so many different ways to play it (1.1, Arcade, 360) with the variety of characters. I've never been one for Shoot-em ups, but this game is pretty damn addicting.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']I busted out my SFIV TE stick. Unfortunately I will need to play once with a controller cuz I need to move my Familiar around for an achievement. But after taht I am going to use my TE Stick for this game. Only way to play it IMHO. :D

Can't wait to get back home after work and play this awesome game some more :)[/QUOTE]

i only play shmups with my stick... but i prefer my Hori EX-SE stick for shmups... TE for fighting games.
my copy of Deathsmiles should be here by the end of the week.

[quote name='2DMention']Yep. YOu can beat it in 45 minutes. It's all about high score and replay.

I wish this game had a tutorial mode to explain how bombs work, how your familiar works, and the other features of the game.[/QUOTE]

When you select your character, their is an option to "View Tutorial" or "No Thanks". Its not a detailed explanation but it helps.

[quote name='PaulDE01']When you select your character, their is an option to "View Tutorial" or "No Thanks". Its not a detailed explanation but it helps.[/QUOTE]

O, I've been playing 1.1 and Mega Black Label lol

[quote name='dkreegz515']i only play shmups with my stick... but i prefer my Hori EX-SE stick for shmups... TE for fighting games.
my copy of Deathsmiles should be here by the end of the week.[/QUOTE]

I have been holding out on getting a Hori stick just for my SHMUPS. However... the 2 I want are a bit too expensive. Either the DeathSmiles Hori Stick or the Mushihimesama Futari stick. Both are over $200 though. I could afford it but I still cannont justify spending that type of money. :bomb:

Don't bother with those - get a Hori EX-SE. It should be under $100 and it's probably the best shmup stick available, at least out-of-box.

I need to switch mine back to 8-way. I've been using it 4-way for Pacman CE and such, so I haven't played Deathsmiles yet. Well, that and because I fell asleep last night. :)

[quote name='2DMention']

The manual is really, REALLY in depth. They have four pages dedicated just to scoring tips, as well as a ton of information about bombs, familiars, chaining... I flipped through it just to check it out and was floored at how awesome this manual was.

Check it out, definitely.

In other news, found out one of the achievements is for 10 billion points on 1.1 MBL... definitely going for that, already up to 3 billion before I died so 10 billion is definitely doable with practice.

Just got the achievement for getting over 10 billion on MBL 1.1... ended up with a final score of 17 billion. Didn't do it on Score Attack though, so it doesn't save to the leaderboard :roll:

Feels damn good to get it, though. Also 1cc'ed the game as Rosa earlier this morning. Really hoping Aksys brings over Deathsmiles 2, this one is great stuff. Played it for the last two days almost nonstop at the expense of Puzzle Quest 2, lol.

It's bullshit it takes 2 and half weeks for this to move from KY to Texas. It says shipped but won't get here until the 12th

I played through the game 3 times so far.

Are there any tips for beating the game without continuing? It seems like getting to the final boss without dying isn't too bad but actually beating both of them (especially the last one) its very difficult.

[quote name='freshzen']I played through the game 3 times so far.

Are there any tips for beating the game without continuing? It seems like getting to the final boss without dying isn't too bad but actually beating both of them (especially the last one) its very difficult.[/QUOTE]

If you want to *really* cheap it out, choose level 1 for every stage. Learn the scoring mechanisms (watch some replays) so you can extend your life bar... in Arcade mode you get an extension at 20 million and 45 million points. I usually hit level 3 for the Volcano and Graveyard since a shit ton of points can come from there, but for some people, it might be too much.

Remember that for every bar of life that gets depleted, you get three more bombs. If you defeat Jitterbug without using a bomb, when he dies you get a large cake worth 2 life bars. At this point, I have almost a full 5 bars going into Tyrannosatan, and bomb the shit out of him... 3 bombs per life bar, I usually have 5 bars total... he goes down fast. It's not worth it to hoard your bombs if you think you will get hit, since one bullet takes off one full bar and those 3 bombs are gone forever... ramming an enemy only takes off 1/2 a bar.

When you get to Jitterbug, try to have your counter at 1000 - enter power up mode immediately, and if you are good at dodging his bullets he will go down fast. If you get hit, no worries - you get a large cake (if you remember not to bomb!!) Also, if you can do the Swamp at level 2, the car at the end of the swamp will provide a cake when you blow up if you are running low on life.

Use Rosa. She is probably the strongest one in vanilla arcade.

I've 1cc'ed it with both Rosa and Windia at this point (almost had it with Casper, but fucked up on Jitterbug)... I usually do a combination of Level 1, 2, and 3. I only use Level 1 for stage 2-1 (and whatever stage I choose last, for reasons I'll detail), that Tree Boss can be a bitch. Once you memorize the patterns, it gets real easy.

I also went through the game about 10 or 12 times before I started to go for 1cc's, since it was my first time playing it and I wanted to get a feel for it. I recommend to knock out EVERY other achievement, namely the 8 or so for finishing the game as the characters, before 1cc'ing, so you have an extremely good handle on the game.

Also check out the replays, they can be a huge, huge help if you are a visual learner. I hope this has helped! Let me know if you want me to go more in detail about anything.

My personal combo is usually this - Lakeshore Lv 3, Volcano Lv 3, Halloweentown lv 3, Graveyard lv 3, Forest lv 1, Swamp lv 1... I make sure the last stage I do is lv 1, since it makes the castle that much easier. If you choose level 3 five times, you enter death mode, where everything has suicide bullets, so be weary of that. It's usually why I drop to level 1 after the first 4 stages... I hit my first extend in the Volcano, and based on my playing the second extend by the castle.

Also, do the stages you think will be your hardest at the beginning, just to get them out of your way. But it all boils down to practice, practice, practice especially if you don't play a ton of shmups.

Edit: Since writing this, I can do 4 stages at level 3, the last two at level 2, and the castle on one credit. Highest score now is ~75 Million on 360 mode. I can do better I think, missing a ton of scoring opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for those of you playing Deathsmiles. I'm debating between this and Transformers: WfC at the moment. I've watched some gameplay videos of this game and it looks fun. However, they all seem to show a steady stream of shots coming from the angel.

Does it do that by holding down the fire button, or do you need a rapid fire controller for it? I don't have an arcade stick and not really interested in spending the money for one at the moment. I haven't played any shmups in years and I don't think button mashing on the controller would let me fire fast enough.

Thanks.

the default controls include auto-fire for your shot so you do not have to mash the attack button.

becoz if you hold down the attack button you do your laser attack.

but I play stick so I mash like a mad man...

[quote name='JEKKI']the default controls include auto-fire for your shot so you do not have to mash the attack button.

becoz if you hold down the attack button you do your laser attack.

but I play stick so I mash like a mad man...[/QUOTE]

I don't really think that you need to mash like a mad man lol. It fires plenty fast, you either are tapping or holding.

[quote name='Lokki']

Does it do that by holding down the fire button, or do you need a rapid fire controller for it? I don't have an arcade stick and not really interested in spending the money for one at the moment. I haven't played any shmups in years and I don't think button mashing on the controller would let me fire fast enough.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If it's like any other CAVE shooter, holding the fire button down brings you into a focus attack. It's a more powerful, but you also move slower allowing you to weave through waves of bullets easier.

As FurryCurry says you'll be alternating between regular and focus attacks (tap or hold), so you don't need to mash like a madman (only tap fast when you need to like killing waves of enemies that die from one shot).

I don't understand extends. What do they do? I scored 98 million points before dying and got nothing still had a 3 life bar.
This was in Xbox 360 version with Windia, also at the end I wasn't given an option to go to earth or to stay behind, do I have to play arcade version to make those choices?

I just bought this game yesterday, seems like it's pretty fun. Either I've gotten better at shmups or the bullets seem to magically miss me quite often. It sure seems like I should have been hit. And yes, I know only the little part in the middle of the girl is vulnerable.

And really? Tyrannosatan? Where'd they come up with that one?

bread's done
Back