CAGiversary!
DS sold 1,600,000
PS2 sold 1,400,000
Xbox 360 sold 1,100,000
GBA sold 850,700
PSP sold 953,200
Wii sold 604,200
PS3 sold 490,700

Interesting that the PS2 outsold the PS3 almost 3 to 1.

Between Japan and the US, NSMB on the DS has sold around 6 million copies. When do we get the inevitable announcment of a sequel?

hmm, I thought there'd be a bigger difference between the Wii and PS3. And pleasantly surprised with the 360 number.

[quote name='guyver2077']i cant believe ppl still buy ps2[/quote] It's probably because of all the disc read errors. I might have to buy one soon if Sony won't fix mine.

[quote name='Demontooth']DS sold 1,600,000
PSP sold 953,200[/QUOTE]

It's interesting that many people declare the PSP a failure and the DS a rousing success. The PSP sold a lil' over 60% of the DS in the month of December; to sell that fraction of a handheld that's considered to be steamrolling over everything else in sales is no small feat.

It also suggests to me that, if they implemented a serious price drop (to $150 or $130 for the core PSP), they could recoup some of the lost market share to the DS. I don't think they'll ever catch up, but they can sure shrink the gap.

Of course, that totally ignores longitudinal sales trends and overall sales, which probably tell a very different story than the month of December (being the holiday and all).

The game sales are interesting; perhaps all the Wii owners bought their copies of Twilight Princess in November, since the GC version of Zelda outsold the Wii version by 20K or so (for combined sales of over 1 million).

It's also interesting to see what the "new" blockbuster franchises are, since Guitar Hero and Gears of War, two titles that only exist on one system, are #4 and 5 (I think) on the NPD sales charts that combine all platforms and franchise sales (which explains why "Cars" games are so high).

EDIT: http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14940
Sorry 'bout that. The charts are at the bottom of page 1.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']It's probably because of all the disc read errors. I might have to buy one soon if Sony won't fix mine.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you're right. 1.4 million people had disc read errors so they had to buy new ones.

Seriously, every time someone says "I can't believe so many PS2's have been sold" someone always says "It's because DRE's", and no, it obviously is not. Maybe a very very small percent of it is, but not 1.4 million.

the PS2 has better selection of games than X360, PS3, or Wii. Plus there are many people who are just getting into gaming.

A PS2 for $129 is a pretty good deal for people who like to stay one generation behind. The 117,000 games in the PS2 library probably has something to do with it also.

[quote name='Demontooth']A PS2 for $129 is a pretty good deal for people who like to stay one generation behind. The 117,000 games in the PS2 library probably has something to do with it also.[/quote]Exactly. A PS2, Gamecube, or Xbox are a far better investment at this point than the 360, PS3, or Wii.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's interesting that many people declare the PSP a failure and the DS a rousing success. The PSP sold a lil' over 60% of the DS in the month of December; to sell that fraction of a handheld that's considered to be steamrolling over everything else in sales is no small feat.[/QUOTE]
The problem with the PSP has never been the hardware sales. It's the software. The only game I can think of that's sold more than a million copies would be GTA: Liberty City Stories, and that's on PS2 now.

[quote name='mykevermin']
The game sales are interesting; perhaps all the Wii owners bought their copies of Twilight Princess in November, since the GC version of Zelda outsold the Wii version by 20K or so (for combined sales of over 1 million).
[/quote]Given the 80%+ attach rate of Zelda for Wii (~500k copies for ~600k consoles each month), it's not too surprising. Not sure if I was expecting higher sales for the GC version or not.

[quote name='radjago']The problem with the PSP has never been the hardware sales. It's the software. The only game I can think of that's sold more than a million copies would be GTA: Liberty City Stories, and that's on PS2 now.[/QUOTE]

Ehh...that's not the argument I'm making at all. When comparing how much of a rousing success the DS compared to the "failure" of the PSP, people sure do talk about software. They also discuss how massive the gap is in hardware sales between the two handhelds.

Moreover, the sales of the PS2 this December, 6 years+ after its release, sure tell me that a price drop can provide massive long-term gains for Sony.

[quote name='mykevermin']Ehh...that's not the argument I'm making at all. When comparing how much of a rousing success the DS compared to the "failure" of the PSP, people sure do talk about software. They also discuss how massive the gap is in hardware sales between the two handhelds.

Moreover, the sales of the PS2 this December, 6 years+ after its release, sure tell me that a price drop can provide massive long-term gains for Sony.[/quote]

Myke, you don't have to justify your PSP purchase. It's really ok. I mean the PSP is not competing with the DS anyway, right? That's what Sony has been saying since day one.

[quote name='Demontooth']DS sold 1,600,000
PS2 sold 1,400,000
Xbox 360 sold 1,100,000
GBA sold 850,700
PSP sold 953,200
Wii sold 604,200
PS3 sold 490,700

Interesting that the PS2 outsold the PS3 almost 3 to 1.[/quote]

It's interesting that a last gen system(PS2) is still out selling the 360....and this has been going on for a year now. lol

[quote name='lebowsky']Myke, you don't have to justify your PSP purchase. It's really ok. I mean the PSP is not competing with the DS anyway, right? That's what Sony has been saying since day one.[/QUOTE]

*weeps profusely*

If I have any purchase I need to justify, it's the goddamned Virtual Boy. Sure, it's retro chic, but even for the good price I paid for it in the box (don't quite recall what it was, I've had it for 5 years or so), you go from "Oh man, this is so ironically hip!" to "What the *fuck* was I thinking buying this?" in about 40 seconds.

Or perhaps stretch jeans. I did that shit for about 8 years...

[quote name='guyver2077']i cant believe ppl still buy ps2[/QUOTE]

It's not that big of a surprise. A lot of people pick up systems after the fact for kids and others. If they aren't hardcore, don't care about the cutting edge, and want the biggest bang for their buck, the PS2 is the perfect choice.

[quote name='mykevermin']*weeps profusely*

If I have any purchase I need to justify, it's the goddamned Virtual Boy. Sure, it's retro chic, but even for the good price I paid for it in the box (don't quite recall what it was, I've had it for 5 years or so), you go from "Oh man, this is so ironically hip!" to "What the *fuck* was I thinking buying this?" in about 40 seconds.

Or perhaps stretch jeans. I did that shit for about 8 years...[/quote]

:rofl:

Always good stuff from Professor Murder.

bread's done
Back