Decent 5.1 sound for my new TV

chodax

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
So yea I picked up that Olevia 27" LCD TV from CC for 399 and the sound isnt that great on it. I would like some decent 5.1 speakers, nothing to nice since I am going to be living in a dorm this year.

I saw the Logitech z5300 for $130 after $30 rebate at CompUSA, thought about buying it but it didn't sound like a big enough jump from my $80 (non-5.1) Altec Lansing speakers.

Well its a 400 dollar TV, so I really dont wana spend a lot on the sound. I'll look into the z5500

edit- yea the logitechs seems nice, although there computer speakers? Will it be harder to hook up?

Well, is there a sound output jack on the set?

Also, look, I don't mean to sound like an audio snob here, but Logitech speakers are strictly for people who either don't know how inferior they are, or who genuinely don't care. If you really don't care, then that's fine, go for it, but if you can spare just a little extra (~$100 more maybe), try to find somewhere selling Klipsch's Promedia 5.1 set. Unlike Logitech, who mostly make keyboards and mice, Klipsch has been in the speaker business, and the speaker business only, for about 60 years now. There is a big difference, and if you care, and can spare the extra bills, it's really worth it.

Do you mean a 27" for $400? $400 for a 17" Olevia sounds like a joke...

As for the quality of the Logitech speakers, I wouldn't say they're bad. They're great computer speakers but terrible for anything else.

Those satellites aren't that good... they're too weak. Most of the power goes to the subwoofer (which isn't that great BTW) and the drivers on the satellite are too small.

I'd go for an actual HTIB or a refurb Onkyo HTIB. I got my HT S790 for $330 shipped directly from Onkyo around March and couldn't have been happier. Tons of input options, great speakers, and an amazing receiver. For around $200, you could get a pretty good Yamaha or Onkyo HTIB (avoid Pioneers, Samsung, Philips, and the like... they advertise more than they actually offer).

The thing that separates computer speakers and actual home theater systems are the built in features. Most computer speakers just output sound, whatever their source tells them to. Home theater systems let you tune your audio and they also have tons of built in technology which helps improve quality (reducing noise, better surround sound precision, etc.).

[quote name='Vinny']Do you mean a 27" for $400? $400 for a 17" Olevia sounds like a joke...

As for the quality of the Logitech speakers, I wouldn't say they're bad. They're great computer speakers but terrible for anything else.

Those satellites aren't that good... they're too weak. Most of the power goes to the subwoofer (which isn't that great BTW) and the drivers on the satellite are too small.

I'd go for an actual HTIB or a refurb Onkyo HTIB. I got my HT S790 for $330 shipped directly from Onkyo around March and couldn't have been happier. Tons of input options, great speakers, and an amazing receiver. For around $200, you could get a pretty good Yamaha or Onkyo HTIB (avoid Pioneers, Samsung, Philips, and the like... they advertise more than they actually offer).

The thing that separates computer speakers and actual home theater systems are the built in features. Most computer speakers just output sound, whatever their source tells them to. Home theater systems let you tune your audio and they also have tons of built in technology which helps improve quality (reducing noise, better surround sound precision, etc.).[/quote]

Yea 27" is what I meant. I'll just stay on the look out for some Onkyo or Yamaha refurbs then

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well, is there a sound output jack on the set?

Also, look, I don't mean to sound like an audio snob here, but Logitech speakers are strictly for people who either don't know how inferior they are, or who genuinely don't care. If you really don't care, then that's fine, go for it, but if you can spare just a little extra (~$100 more maybe), try to find somewhere selling Klipsch's Promedia 5.1 set. Unlike Logitech, who mostly make keyboards and mice, Klipsch has been in the speaker business, and the speaker business only, for about 60 years now. There is a big difference, and if you care, and can spare the extra bills, it's really worth it.[/QUOTE]
/sigh even if the Promedia 5.1 set sounded better then the z5500 (they are about equal or maybe a bit of an edge for kilispch) the klispch's don't have any digital decoders. So the little bit of edge the kilispchs have it doesn't mater if it won't accept the inputs. Pointless for a ht system for anything but a Wii or a VCR.
[quote name='Vinny']Do you mean a 27" for $400? $400 for a 17" Olevia sounds like a joke...

The thing that separates computer speakers and actual home theater systems are the built in features. Most computer speakers just output sound, whatever their source tells them to. Home theater systems let you tune your audio and they also have tons of built in technology which helps improve quality (reducing noise, better surround sound precision, etc.).[/QUOTE]

The Logitech naysayers (trolls) always show up whenever the z5500 come up. I was also a naysayer about the z5500. I have tried many HTIB systems $500 and under and none had the sound for a medium size room for movies and gaming. I have bought and taken back at least 10 HTIB because of lackluster sound and/or features. I have a 17' x 14' living room (with an open windowed kitchen on the side) with the tv on the longer side and the z5500 have more then enough sound for the room.

None of the HTIB solutions I have tried (in the $300 - $500 price range) had anywhere near the fullness and range the Logitech's had with all the decoders. I'm speaking from experience not 1337 snob talk OMG TEH GAY MOUSE MAKERS.

I'm not claiming that the z5500 are the best solution for everyone because they do have some down sides. The system doesn't have the best for listening to CD's, only 2 digital inputs (1 optical and 1 coaxial.) No equalizer or "effects." You can't hook up a record player to it.

It is what it is a great sounding sophisticated looking system for a small - medium size room for killer movie and gaming sounds that can't be beat anywhere near the price.

Well I mean personally I use about a grand worth of Polk floorstanding and bookshelf speakers with a Denon amp, so I'm not exactly a Klipsch zealot. Logitechs definitely have their place, and are good for most people, but I don't like to see them mistaken for genuine hi-fi audio equipment.

its not really too hard, it has a coax and optical input and also some other computer one..
hook up 360 via optical and your ready to go

and dont listen to vinny lol, it works great for other than computer stuff
look at reviews on cnet and stuff for peace of mind

I don't know, the cheapest you can get these for are around $250.00... and in that case I would pick up a decent HTIB instead.

I read a long topic somewhere where people were getting very mixed feelings about that system, as well as dead or dying components, since it's refurbished. I really would feel safer having new equipment.

Still can't pull the trigger though >.

Seems like the Z-5500 was popular on Dell--my order has been delayed. It may not ship until next week >.< Will hold onto it unless a better price comes up, though.

Do not get the z5500's

There is no Bass/Treble adjustment, they are meant to be PC speakers for you to adjust that on your soundcard settings etc. They do sound OK, I am happy with mine, but there are much better deals out there.

I am getting really mixed reviews from all of you. I look through these threads myself for advice. I have a small room, completely square. I have a 29 inch tv with basically shit sound. Can anyone recommend a good, cheap system for a small room?

[quote name='linkpwns']I am getting really mixed reviews from all of you. I look through these threads myself for advice. I have a small room, completely square. I have a 29 inch tv with basically shit sound. Can anyone recommend a good, cheap system for a small room?[/QUOTE]

Mayng, if my computer wasn't fucked the fuck up, I'd talk to you on AIM right now. Well, I guess if you can wait till Friday, I can advise since I'll be home then.

[quote name='Chacrana']Mayng, if my computer wasn't fucked the fuck up, I'd talk to you on AIM right now. Well, I guess if you can wait till Friday, I can advise since I'll be home then.[/quote]

Oh, I was wondering why you weren't on aim. Luls, I know you will be doing some advising on friday.

I'm also looking something decent for a small room. Just purchased a 32" Aquos and just want something to use other than the weak 10W built in speakers on the TV. I was looking at the 5500 logitech, but also figured that for the price I can get something more along the lines of a HTIB.

i bought my Onkyo 5.1 setup a few years ago and I friggin love it! you can get not only the same system, but in fact a better one with more features right now from circuit city for 300 daras, that would be an excellent buy considering I spent 500 back then.

[quote name='spoo']/sigh even if the Promedia 5.1 set sounded better then the z5500 (they are about equal or maybe a bit of an edge for kilispch) the klispch's don't have any digital decoders.
[/quote]

You're actually kind of wrong there. If you look hard enough you can find the discontinued Klipsch GMX 5.1 system which is excellent btw, it's Dolby certified and has a digital decoder.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I got these for $60 and have been really impressed[/QUOTE]

This is the Altec Lansing I have: http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=VS4221

Its pretty nice, but I really want to have 5.1 surround so I can turn the 5.1 back on for both 360 & PS3. I just can't convince myself to spent $200-400 for it.

By the way just realized that VS3251 is 5.1 (thus ending with 51). For $60, or even $80 that's a great deal. I'd like to hear those in person. I like my AL a lot though, wouldn't mind getting something from them again.

[quote name='freshzen']This is the Altec Lansing I have: http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=VS4221

Its pretty nice, but I really want to have 5.1 surround so I can turn the 5.1 back on for both 360 & PS3. I just can't convince myself to spent $200-400 for it.

By the way just realized that VS3251 is 5.1 (thus ending with 51). For $60, or even $80 that's a great deal. I'd like to hear those in person. I like my AL a lot though, wouldn't mind getting something from them again.[/quote]

I wouldn't compare those to those 5300's no competition...those speakers are so small I can believe they sell it as a 5.1, tsk tsk.

Of course... they have no where near the RMS of the 5300 but they're still decent.

Also, I saw this too.

[quote name='freshzen']I just can't convince myself to spent $200-400 for it.

.....wouldn't mind getting something from them again.[/quote]
Yeah, especially when this system sounds like it does for under $100. Altec lancing has impressed me these days but if we were talking pre 2000 or so I would've laughed at anyone even considering Altec Lancing.

bread's done
Back