Decent FYE haul today

chimpster1313

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Got 6 used flicks at FYE today and spent less than $50 total because of the 20% off. Here's what I got

Bottle Rocket ($6)
Jurassic Park ($8)
Kingpin ($5)
Raising Arizona ($8)
Time Bandits ($5, they had like 3 copies of this and I have never seen it anywhere else)

and my fantastic pickup of the day: Silence of the Lambs Criterion Edition! Got this for $22, which might seem pricey, but it's OOP, and for anything like that under $40 bucks is damned impressive. Well, just thought I'd share.

yeah, i wasn't big on the fact that i was dropping 50 on just 6 movies, but considering what they were, i'm not upset.

and which used stores are you referring to? like fye, or just mom and pop shops.

I love Time Bandits. Haven't seen it for ages, but the local Safeway actually carries it for like $10, so if I ever get a hankering I'm all over it.

Just to let you know, Time Bandits has had multiple DVD releases. The single disc regular edition (-$10) and the two disc digimax special edition (-$20) and the single disc criterion collection (+$30) as well. The two disc digimax is supposed to be the best of the three despite the fact that criterion releases are usually superior. The biggest problem is criterion screwing up the aspect ratio.

Anyway, spend an extra few bucks and get the special edition as it's totally worth it.

^This wasn't to the OP, but to TahoeMax or anyone who has yet to purchase Time Bandits.

[quote name='chimpster1313']
Time Bandits ($5, they had like 3 copies of this and I have never seen it anywhere else)
[/quote]

They have that at my local market. Random.

And i think this might be the first thread ever with "decent Haul" and "FYE" in the same sentence. ;)

To Valor - yeah, i looked for any version and all 3 copies of time bandits were the basically bare bones release, so i just grabbed the one with the nicest looking case, haha. if i find the criterion though, i'm buying it immediately.

To Lice - agreed completely. i go to fye often and i never find anything. of course, i was in there for about 45 minutes going through EVERY dvd they had, because i knew there had to be some hidden gems, haha.

I really don't know why, but it seems that FYE somehow has a bunch of those Silence of the Lambs CC's. I got mine in an FYE as well, and the only other three copies I've seen have been in FYE/FYE-owned stores.

In any case, nice haul, OP.

to garfep - yeah, they had another criterion movie there, but it was something i'd never heard of and it was $35. if i go back and it's there, i'll snag it just cuz it's criterion, but i never see criterions at any fye. only at borders or best buy. and yeah, i've been reading that those silence of the lambs criterions aren't as hard to find as i thought. talk about deflating.....

[quote name='chimpster1313']To Valor - yeah, i looked for any version and all 3 copies of time bandits were the basically bare bones release, so i just grabbed the one with the nicest looking case, haha. if i find the criterion though, i'm buying it immediately.
[/QUOTE]

But the criterion one is awful compared to the cheaper and nice 2 disc special edition digimax version! Was my post too confusing? The 2 disc is superior to the criterion in every way.

[quote name='chimpster1313']and yeah, i've been reading that those silence of the lambs criterions aren't as hard to find as i thought. talk about deflating.....[/quote]
Nah, it's still a great find to see it in any B&M store, and it goes for roughly $30 online anyway, so it's not like you paid too much. Plus, it's a great transfer and has features that everything but the most recent release of SotL omitted. That set costs roughly the same and lacks the collectibility of the Criterion set anyway. :p If nothing else, it gives you hope for good FYE finds in the future. I found my Spinal Tap and RoboCop criterions used at FYE (well, Coconuts), as well as the Wrong Men/Notorious Women criterion Hitchcock box. Don't feel bad at all. You did well.

and to darkslime - just go to criterion.com for the best explanation, but i'll tell you that it's mainly a selection of important films (foreign or otherwise) that never got a release in the US, or a good release at all. the dvd's are usually about the most vastly superior versions of the film you can find and are very worth the money they cost.

and to darkslime - just go to criterion.com for the best explanation, but i'll tell you that it's mainly a selection of important films (foreign or otherwise) that never got a release in the US, or a good release at all. the dvd's are usually about the most vastly superior versions of the film you can find and are very worth the money they cost.

bread's done
Back