Deciding between two laptops...

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
I'm looking at buying one of these laptops for a year long trip I'll be taking in a couple months.

Tigerdirect: Acer Aspire AS5560G-7809

Newegg: Asus A53 Series A53Z-NS61

Both are very similarly specced, except the Acer has a better GPU, has 4GB RAM instead of 3GB, and has a better webcam. Everything I read about Acers says that they're not good quality laptops. Parts dying, flimsy quality, etc. Even though the Acer has better specs, I don't want my laptop dying when I'm halfway across the world.

I know I could probably find a laptop with a better CPU, more RAM and a better HDD, but I would like to have a dedicated graphics card to be able to do some light gaming.

Thoughts or suggestions other than these two?

They're not really close to specs at all. One has a dedicated GPU, one doesn't. That's a pretty big difference. But then you pay for it by buying a brand with worse build quality and overall reviews.

What's your definition of "light gaming"? The second AMD, though it's integrated GPU, is the AMD APU which is actually really good on gaming (the equiv Intel will be a faster processor, but worse in gaming.)

Asus has nice rear ends
computer-maker-asus-screws-up-tweets-about-a-womans-nice-rear.jpg

By light gaming I meant a lot of indie/old games that won't tax the system too much, but also modern games on low. I won't be playing Crysis or BF3 or anything, but I'm hoping to be able to do 40fps with all low settings on games released in the past year or two.

bread's done
Back