Decisions, Decisions - So many quality shooters on the 360...which to get?

swetooth9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
Rainbow Six Vegas
GRAW 2
Call of Duty 3
Lost Planet

which to pick?

i already have GoW and like it but might want a change or a "backup" i guess..

which of these is best for me? i also had a great time with halo 2 if that makes a difference on your suggestions to me (here are the shooters i have played and really liked: Halo 2, GoW, Unreal Tournament 2004)..i tried rainbow six vegas at my cousin's house but didnt really get to play it much..wasnt that into it, but i guess i might get into it if i spend more time with it...i didnt like GRAW 1 (i played online at my cousin's house and it took like 20 mins to get into a match) that much but love GoW's gameplay...Lost planet single player demo didnt really wow me like it did others, but the multiplayer demo was somewhat entertaining...i played splitscreen CoD 3 at my friends house for about 10 mins...didnt know what i was doing and lost interest...

i guess if i had spent more time with each, i could decide myself...but i need some suggestions

oh yea, and price is not a factor

thanks

Lost Planet if you're into anime or are a fan of old school Japanese gameplay. This would be my top recommendation after Gears simply because you won't find a game like this on PC.

Between R6 Vegas and GRAW I think most people would choose Vegas, however GRAW 2 does have an additional co-op campaign.

Call of Duty hasn't really changed too much after the first one. If you've played the first game you've played them all.

I still play Perfect Dark : Zero online at least once a week. I know it's not perfect, but online multiplayer can get pretty satisfyingly rowdy.

It seems like you enjoy playing faster-paced games if you like GoW, Halo 2 and UT2k4. Out of those, I'd say GRAW 2 and COD 3 are probably the quicker paced. However, I'd say Vegas or GRAW 2. COD 3 is too similar to COD 2.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']It seems like you enjoy playing faster-paced games if you like GoW, Halo 2 and UT2k4. Out of those, I'd say GRAW 2 and COD 3 are probably the quicker paced. However, I'd say Vegas or GRAW 2. COD 3 is too similar to COD 2.[/quote]

yea, you got me, i like the faster-paced shooters...i mean, i use strategy, but dont over-analyze each situation before pulling the trigger

i've narrowed it down to just vegas or graw 2...i'm really torn between the two...which one has the better multiplayer experience overall based on: overall gameplay fun/addictiveness, size and quality of the community of players, overall lag, party system, etc.

thanks

[quote name='sociopharm02']out of your list you gotta go with vegas. it is a great game[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.

[quote name='swetooth9']yea, you got me, i like the faster-paced shooters...i mean, i use strategy, but dont over-analyze each situation before pulling the trigger

i've narrowed it down to just vegas or graw 2...i'm really torn between the two...which one has the better multiplayer experience overall based on: overall gameplay fun/addictiveness, size and quality of the community of players, overall lag, party system, etc.

thanks[/QUOTE]

Eek. Well if you don't like to plan out your route of attack....well.....I'd have to recommend neither one. I had to re-do many sections in Vegas because I implemented the incorrect strategy when attacking an enemy position. Some of the missions in GRAW 1 I had the same problem....

Vegas is slower-paced than GRAW if you ask me. Vegas is more room to room, think about every situation kind of play while GRAW 2 requires you to think, but less so because the game features bigger locales, and you can pick off enemies with relative ease, versus in Vegas where the AI is smarter I think. GRAW 2 also has the really sweet helicopter gatling gun sections of the game.

I'm playing COD 3 right now and goes at a pretty good clip. If you haven't play COD 2, I'd recommend COD 3. I'm going through COD 3 much slower than COD 2 (beat it in like 3 sittings) simply because its so similar. The MP is pretty decent, 16 players keeps it interesting, and it's not very hard to find a game.

I'm giving you alot of opinions I know, but my final advice is to get GRAW for $20 at CC or COD3. If you like the first one, get the second one, they're essentially the same game.

Do note that if you didn't mention that you like the quicker paced FPS, I would've recommended Vegas or GRAW 2 still. I just don't think those games would fit your tastes by what you've said.

[quote name='swetooth9']yea, you got me, i like the faster-paced shooters...i mean, i use strategy, but dont over-analyze each situation before pulling the trigger
i've narrowed it down to just vegas or graw 2.[/QUOTE]
Based on what you say here I would specifically recommend against those two. R6:V and GRAW are all about analyzing. They're far more "realistic" in that way. There's very little room for error with 1 or 2 shot kills. At least in Halo or Gears type games if you screw up you have a chance to recover if you can just get into cover.
I'd very much recommend CoD 3, and possibly LP. I played through CoD 2 and 3 and had a great time. I played the LP demo at home on SDTV and I didn't care too much for it. I played an in store demo in HD and it was a lot of fun. I'm not sure if it needs HD to do it justice or if was just the different style of demos I played.

guys, it's not like i dont analyze the situation AT ALL :lol: i liked ghost recon 2 when i played that, but not ghost recon 1...GR2 was more streamlined and easy for me to pick up i think

i'm just looking for the best multiplayer game out of all the "tactical" games

i'm looking for something that i can easily get into, but still takes tactics..not really considering CoD right now...just vegas or graw 2

I'm playing Lost Planet and Earth Defense Force 2017 now and they're both definitely worth your time and money.

Stay far away from FEAR. IMHO this came sucked. This game epitomizes the term "Just another FPS". Sure the graphics are going to be better than last gen, but that doesn't save it. Bullet time is cool only for so long and I wasn't too impressed with the story. Here are my recommendations:

1. Lost Planet
2. R6
3. Crackdown

I haven't had a chance to play COD3 or GRAW 2, but the prequels were awesome for both series, so the sequels should be just as good.

I just finished R6 and am about 1/3 into Crackdown, and I am actually enjoying Crackdown much more.

I thoroughly enjoyed Lost Planet and the original GRAW as well.

[quote name='captmurphy']I just finished R6 and am about 1/3 into Crackdown, and I am actually enjoying Crackdown much more.

I thoroughly enjoyed Lost Planet and the original GRAW as well.[/QUOTE]

Blech. I thought Lost Planet went suuuuuuuppppppperrrrrrrrrr slow. I didn't play past the 3rd mission. The MP I thought was really fun and quick paced, but the SP just bored me to death.

[quote name='Brak']I'd pick Vegas and G.R.A.W. 2.[/quote]

Agreed, both are great games. GoW should be a no brainer if you are new to the 360.

[quote name='Weedy649']Suprised you didnt have FEAR on the list. All of those listed are good but you should look into FEAR if you like FPS.[/quote]
yes, definitely.

If you are looking for something fast paced, F.E.A.R. is it!

What about the one where the UFO abducts the people in the beginning? Which one was that? PREY? I though that one was pretty good. I think that is only mid 20's right now also. Well worth that price, though obviously different then the Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games.

It has a demo for download also (or it did at one point, not sure if it is still up there).

well, i already have crackdown and GoW to those who mentioned them...i guess i'll just go for whatever i find a better trade offer for...i actually played the SP and MP demo last night for GRAW 2 and thought it was pretty fun

the only reason i'm not really considering FEAR is b/c it seems like the community died down + i dont want to be scared shitless every time i wanna play an FPS :lol:

thanks for the suggestions, everyone..hope this thread also helps out others on the fence

[quote name='swetooth9']the only reason i'm not really considering FEAR is b/c it seems like the community died down + i dont want to be scared shitless every time i wanna play an FPS :lol:[/QUOTE]
Not only is the community dead (for the most part), the remaining survivors are fucking assholes.

REALLY bad experiences playing F.E.A.R. online.

The single-player campaign is really good, though. (Though, if I had to compare, I'd say Condemned was a better experience.)

[quote name='neudog']Stay far away from FEAR. IMHO this came sucked. This game epitomizes the term "Just another FPS". Sure the graphics are going to be better than last gen, but that doesn't save it. Bullet time is cool only for so long and I wasn't too impressed with the story. Here are my recommendations:[/QUOTE]

huh? since when do people play shooters for a great story? Gears of War is a great game but its story makes absolutely NO sense. It doesnt have to either because its great. FEAR has a story that makes sense for the type of game it is.

FEAR is not "Just another FPS" with pretty graphics. The bullet time isnt what makes the game either...just a nice addition. The game has amazing AI, and sets quite an authentic eerie setting which is partly due to the great use of sound in the game.
I understand not wanting to get it if your looking for Multiplayer because honestly i didnt play that part of it much.

However, if you are looking for multiplayer i suggest you at least try Splinter Cell DA. Its not a full out shooter by any means but in multiplayer 1 side plays upsilon(mercs) which play in FP mode. The other side plays spy(3rd person mode) and you have to hack/extract files without being killed by the mercs.

The funnest part though is that as a spy you can kill mercs by grabbing them in a chokehold then snapping their necks. While they are in the chokehold you can hear the person talk and they can hear you...best trash talk position in any game ever. As a merc if you knock a spy out you can also pick them up and talk to them as well. Of course mercs have much more ways to kill spys because they have weapons while spys dont.

Also thought i would add that i like Rainbow Six Vegas but really wasnt feeling the multiplayer and only play co-op on it.

F.E.A.R is awesome.
Graw is always good.
Vegas is outstanding rebirth of the franchise.
Lost Planet was mindless fun.

Can i toss my hat in for Condemned?

The most underrated game of this generation of games. Scary, exciting, and flat out fun as hell. It's cheap to man!

[quote name='fathamburger']...
Between R6 Vegas and GRAW I think most people would choose Vegas, however GRAW 2 does have an additional co-op campaign.
...[/quote]
Err RB6:Vegas has co-op campaign.

To the OP, if you're an Achivement whore, be wary. Vegas has some of the most glitched out achivements I've seen. Plus there are people trying to do the in game point glitch to bring thier rank up quicker. You have 'elites' that are really just exploiting freaking noobs padding thier score. fucking lamers.

Don't let that detract you though. Vegas is a fun game MP when you have people who know how to play vs the posers.:bouncy:

[quote name='Maynard']F.E.A.R is awesome.
Graw is always good.
Vegas is outstanding rebirth of the franchise.
Lost Planet was mindless fun.

Can i toss my hat in for Condemned?

The most underrated game of this generation of games. Scary, exciting, and flat out fun as hell. It's cheap to man![/QUOTE]

Condemned and FEAR are good games for fans of pooping their pants.

alright, i'm gonna have to rule out Fear, Lost planet, and CoD 3 for now b/c of the decreasing online community..

so i think i'm gonna get GRAW 2 for now, and my cousin and I can swap my GRAW 2 for his R6V whenever we want to change it up a bit

[quote name='swetooth9']alright, i'm gonna have to rule out Fear, Lost planet, and CoD 3 for now b/c of the decreasing online community..

so i think i'm gonna get GRAW 2 for now, and my cousin and I can swap my GRAW 2 for his R6V whenever we want to change it up a bit[/quote]
I wish I knew what decrease in online community you were talking about since CoD3 is still chugging along very well. If there is a decrease then it isn't by much.

According to this IGN article from I guess last week or two weeks ago, CoD3 is still in the top 10 at 6. Crackdown is now up there, but I doubt that will stay for long since that game is fairly easy and quick to beat and most likely will decrease in following weeks.

For the shooters I enjoyed:

GRAW was a GREAT launch game, and at $20...a GREAT deal.
GRAW2 is also GREAT....pretty short single player, completed in about 8 hours or less.
CoD3 is fun....I enjoy single and multiplayer.
CoD2 is also good, not sure how the online is for that anymore....

I forgot to get R6:V, so I still have to get that.

R6Vegas for my tactical shooter, and Online is amazing.
GOW for my sci-fi shooter.
FEAR for my I can slow down time guilty pleasure shooter.
PDZ cause I like to have bots sometime, ala Unreal.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I wish I knew what decrease in online community you were talking about since CoD3 is still chugging along very well. If there is a decrease then it isn't by much.

According to this IGN article from I guess last week or two weeks ago, CoD3 is still in the top 10 at 6. Crackdown is now up there, but I doubt that will stay for long since that game is fairly easy and quick to beat and most likely will decrease in following weeks.[/quote]

sorry, i was more referring to LP and FEAR when i made that comment...for CoD3, it's just not what i'm looking for, that's all

[quote name='PyroGamer']R6V and COD3

However, PDZ probably best fits the shooters you said you liked.[/quote]

i tried PDZ and thought the SP and MP was horrible...plus not enough people play it online

[quote name='swetooth9']sorry, i was more referring to LP and FEAR when i made that comment...for CoD3, it's just not what i'm looking for, that's all

i tried PDZ and thought the SP and MP was horrible...plus not enough people play it online[/QUOTE]

Yes. Avoid PDZ at all costs IMO. First 360 game I played, and boy did I just laugh at the console and say "This is the best you got?"

bread's done
Back