Deep Discount DVD Buy 1 Get 1 Free Anime Sale. Select Titles.

Oh, crap, here we go again.

Last sale, my GITS SAC S1 took about a month to ship out, though it did eventually ship out.

If DVDPlanet.com is running this same sale, it's the same vendor behind both them and DD, so if one doesn't have it in-stock, the other one doesn't either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished up GITS thanks to the last one, but I'm trying to think of what to grab off of this one to make it worthwhile.

What can I say? Back in the day Anime on DVD pushed my average purchases down to $13 per title, and now CAG has pushed my down to $5. Heh heh. ;)

Hmmm...maybe SSS and Appleseed...

[quote name='flybrione']
Also can get the Stand Alone box sets buy 1 get 1 for $60.78
[/QUOTE]

$30 per season is just crazy. I spent about $500 on GITS:SAC + movie + log, and here it is for less than $100...

[quote name='Gamelore']$30 per season is just crazy. I spent about $500 on GITS:SAC + movie + log, and here it is for less than $100...[/quote]

$500 for only Season 1 (SAC) 7 discs plus movie (which one)?
How can that be? Perhaps those were the Limited Edition? I know those LE versions were
like $30 per box (comes with T-shirt or sometimes toys figurines)

The new boxsets offer (B1G1):
$30.39 for season 1 (GITS: SAC 1) - 7 discs
$30.39 for season 2 (GITS: SAC 2) - 7 discs
Now, that's more like it!

Maybe they're clearance now.. or perhaps they're going BluRay soon?

But..I don't think these new boxsets are like those individual amaray keep case. Right?
They're probably on sleaves only. Correct?

Great price for GITS, too bad I don't have any money. :cry:

**EDIT**Just ordered with Bill Me Later :)

[quote name='cagfansub']$500 for only Season 1 (SAC) 7 discs plus movie (which one)?
How can that be? Perhaps those were the Limited Edition? I know those LE versions were
like $30 per box (comes with T-shirt or sometimes toys figurines)

The new boxsets offer (B1G1):
$30.39 for season 1 (GITS: SAC 1) - 7 discs
$30.39 for season 2 (GITS: SAC 2) - 7 discs
Now, that's more like it!

Maybe they're clearance now.. or perhaps they're going BluRay soon?

But..I don't think these new boxsets are like those individual amaray keep case. Right?
They're probably on sleaves only. Correct?[/QUOTE]
$500 for LE of each volume for both seasons, including log and steelbook movie.

There are already some GITS-related things on Blu-Ray in Japan and they are extremely expensive. Not likely to show up in the US on Blu-Ray due to re-importation, but possibly.

[quote name='Gamelore']$500 for LE of each volume for both seasons, including log and steelbook movie.

[/quote]
I see.. well, in that case, since those are LE.. they're still priced pretty high and probably worth it for collectors.

The current sale for the Complete Series..Season 1 and 2 are probably re-packaged in slim cases or sleeve cases only. They probably cut cost this way and able to price them much cheaper.
$60 per season (no B1G1) is the regular price.

Now, wtih B1G1 .. it is a good deal. Good for those who do not have this yet.

Oh God why did I have to see this. I already spent ~$60 on video games today and now the complete GITS series for $60.78? Why must you do this to me CAG? I don't like the fact that GITS season 1 is out of stock though. As Shrike pointed out, it could take forever to receive that, and until then, season 2 is useless to me.

Couple questions: are these DVDs in widescreen, and how are they packaged?

Very tempted to get GITS 2nd Gig LEs to replace my box set, which it looks like I'll never be able to get rid of. $122 for the 7 vols and one extra DVD. Really expensive =/

Edit: Well, screw that. Amazon marketplace has most of the LEs for ~$10. I'll just order via points2shop and get some GCs from some survey sites I use...

FYI to those who are looking to buying Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex:

Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex (Season 1) is getting re-released on 10/14 (select retailers have it on 9/16) under the Anime Legends label. This collection will be retailed at $49.98. One would assume that Season 2 will be released in the near future as well.

If anyone is needing a second or fourth title, for the love of all that is holy, pick up Read or Die. Best show to come out in years, IMO.

[quote name='WTK']FYI to those who are looking to buying Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex:

Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex (Season 1) is getting re-released on 10/14 (select retailers have it on 9/16) under the Anime Legends label. This collection will be retailed at $49.98. One would assume that Season 2 will be released in the near future as well.[/quote]

GIS series no longer being produced by US Manga?

[quote name='cagfansub']GIS series no longer being produced by US Manga?[/quote]

It's always been a joint venture between Manga (not US Manga Corps) and Bandai.

gitscroppedhk7.jpg
This is the new boxset that WTK referred to. I like this boxart cover a lot more than the set they're offering on deep discount. The original boxset is just the 7 dvds in their original cases thrown into a thin cardboard box. It opens from the top and takes up a lot of space of course. I'd wait for this to come out if you aren't already waiting for a blu-ray release. My only concern though is how expensive it would be as a blu-ray re-release.

[quote name='chewster777']
This is the new boxset that WTK referred to. I like this boxart cover a lot more than the set they're offering on deep discount. The original boxset is just the 7 dvds in their original cases thrown into a thin cardboard box. It opens from the top and takes up a lot of space of course. I'd wait for this to come out if you aren't already waiting for a blu-ray release. My only concern though is how expensive it would be as a blu-ray re-release.[/quote]

I see.. it looks like pure imports.

You know, sometimes those imports packages are a bit confusing and not really sure if they're official release or through 3rd party.

For example: Ghost In Shell SAC 1 and 2. There are different variants of this and some of those only have 3 or 4 DVDs per season. For example, my buddy bought his SAC1 off from Ebay, which is imported copy (It looks legit copy but not from US manga). It has all 26 episodes on only 3 DVDs. It has no English Dub, only Japanese Audio, but has English Subtitles.
I guess it is ok, as long you're one of those who like to watch anime in its original Japanese language but subtitled. It is cheap too, whole SAC season 1 boxset only cost $30.

[quote name='cagfansub']I see.. it looks like pure imports.

You know, sometimes those imports packages are a bit confusing and not really sure if they're official release or through 3rd party.

For example: Ghost In Shell SAC 1 and 2. There are different variants of this and some of those only have 3 or 4 DVDs per season. For example, my buddy bought his SAC1 off from Ebay, which is imported copy (It looks legit copy but not from US manga). It has all 26 episodes on only 3 DVDs. It has no English Dub, only Japanese Audio, but has English Subtitles.
I guess it is ok, as long you're one of those who like to watch anime in its original Japanese language but subtitled. It is cheap too, whole SAC season 1 boxset only cost $30.[/QUOTE]

Those are bootleg copies (illegal basically). The quality is usually degraded from its original source (sometimes not by much, but still definitely degraded). That's why this is such a good deal. You're getting the real deal for the same price pretty much and still supporting the studios that put it out.

[quote name='cagfansub']I see.. it looks like pure imports.

I guess it is ok, as long you're one of those who like to watch anime in its original Japanese language but subtitled. It is cheap too, whole SAC season 1 boxset only cost $30.[/quote]

That cover art of which I posted over @ AoD / Mania.com may be preliminary. I'm sure a more clear cover art will be made available soon enough.

Keep in mind that Bandai Entertainment produced the actual content for GiTS and Manga Entertainment distributed it. It's exactly like how the original single releases are handled. And the Anime Legends line is from Bandai Entertainment. THIS IS A LEGIT RELEASE.

If you still think this is a bootleg, here are some of the online retailers that have listed this product. It should be a matter of time before the 2nd season (2nd GIG) is released.

[quote name='Mugen Power']Does anyone know for sure what the differences are between the Karas collection and the two individual discs are (if any)?[/quote]

Bump this for an answer.

[quote name='Mugen Power']Does anyone know for sure what the differences are between the Karas collection and the two individual discs are (if any)?[/quote]

[quote name='Mugen Power']Bump this for an answer.[/quote]
The complete collection will be housed inside a paper (somewhat flimsy) artbox. The two discs will be the same as the ones used from the original single volumes. As far as I know, the only difference is that the Karas: The Prophecy won't have a slipcase with the complete collection. There was a slipcase with the Karas: The Prophecy single volume release (initial release).

[quote name='WTK']The complete collection will be housed inside a paper (somewhat flimsy) artbox. The two discs will be the same as the ones used from the original single volumes. As far as I know, the only difference is that the Karas: The Prophecy won't have a slipcase with the complete collection. There was a slipcase with the Karas: The Prophecy single volume release (initial release).[/quote]

OK, thanks for the info.

Poor DDD, I don't think they like me. I bought GITS 2nd LE v2-7 but on 3 separate orders (using the coke visas that I won) to facilitate emptying out my cards. They all shipped the next day though! V1 I found from Amazon Warehouse deals for 10.10 (with free 2 day shipping from Prime!) I hope it's in good condition, I hear good things about their Warehouse deals.

On a side note, my GITS 2nd box set is now up for grabs. I had 2 before but sold one via half.com already.

[quote name='chewster777']
gitscroppedhk7.jpg
This is the new boxset that WTK referred to. I like this boxart cover a lot more than the set they're offering on deep discount. The original boxset is just the 7 dvds in their original cases thrown into a thin cardboard box. It opens from the top and takes up a lot of space of course. I'd wait for this to come out if you aren't already waiting for a blu-ray release. My only concern though is how expensive it would be as a blu-ray re-release.[/QUOTE]

Is the packaging the only difference between the two releases? Or do they do anything like remastering for the Anime Legends collections? If they don't, then both season for $60 is easily a better deal than waiting for the AL collections.

[quote name='eau']Thinking of ordering GitS: Laughing Man and Individual Eleven. Any thought?[/quote]

I won't buy them. Unless you don't have SAC1 or SAC2 completed set?

The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven will not have any new content but same episodes but just group in themes from SAC1 and SAC2.

[quote name='morphineseason']Is the packaging the only difference between the two releases? Or do they do anything like remastering for the Anime Legends collections? If they don't, then both season for $60 is easily a better deal than waiting for the AL collections.[/quote]

I'm fairly certain that the new collection will just contain the same 7 discs that were released in the first place. Unlike ADV films, Bandai always packages the original discs with these re-releases so it should be the exact version you could have gotten on day one, only in a cheaper and thinner set. Makes me kind of mad that with the Wolf's Rain re-release they split it up into 2 boxsets instead of 1, even though there were only 7 discs. I guess bandai will cut the crap with this GITS release.

[quote name='chewster777']I'm fairly certain that the new collection will just contain the same 7 discs that were released in the first place. Unlike ADV films, Bandai always packages the original discs with these re-releases so it should be the exact version you could have gotten on day one, only in a cheaper and thinner set. Makes me kind of mad that with the Wolf's Rain re-release they split it up into 2 boxsets instead of 1, even though there were only 7 discs. I guess bandai will cut the crap with this GITS release.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I bit on this deal. It's just too good to pass up. I don't mind getting non-thin pack releases, it makes me feel like I'm getting more for the money. I just hope none of the discs are messed up from improper packaging and/or shipping. I also hope these come back in stock relatively quick.

I blindly picked up GITS 1 & 2 Boxsets for $60 shipped....oddly enough,even though I didn't purchase thru cashback search they sent me an email saying I'd receive $12 back (10% of the $120 total before discount) effectively making my purchase $48 shipped!!

I got 2nd GIG in the mail today. I'm glad they're actually widescreen. They look great unconverted on my television. I haven't seen season 1 in its entirety yet though, so I'm kind of wondering if I should watch this whole set. Any thoughts? I'm sure Deep Discount will take their sweet time getting season 1 back in stock and shipped out, so I could be waiting awhile.

Something peculiar about the set though was that a couple of the cases looked like they were opened and resealed. The discs were mint, but they didn't have the same wrapping as the rest, and they looked like the wrapping was melted together on each. Under the wrapping on one of them, there was even what looked like a large portion of the original cellophane still attached to the case. If there would have been finger prints and scratches on the discs I'd probably make a big deal about it, but there's not, so I probably won't.

Also, just a heads up, this sale got extended to 11:59pm CST tonight, so if you still want something, GO GO GO!

I got the remainder of my full set of 2nd gig LE today, which almost completes my steelbook/LE set, but I still need that official log one. I sent 3 separate orders to spread the payments onto 3 different cards, but they shipped in 2 boxes. Smart, DD, smart.

And damn, this tin is heavy when it's full.

[quote name='cagfansub']Anybody know if Tactics and Tokko would be a good buy?[/QUOTE]
Cant't speak for Tactics, but I got Tokko in the last buy-1-get-1 deal (free with Noein), and it is very much forgettable. I wouldn't buy it, but if there's nothing else that interests you, I guess its not a bad deal for free.

bread's done
Back