Defective Games from EB.com

sisco1986

CAGiversary!
I ordered Freedom Fighters (along with Guilty Gear X) a few days ago and waited eagerly all day for fedex to bring it to my door. The game came and I put it in (freedom Fighters) and there is no sound coming from the game, so I did the usual trouble check (cables, Tv, PS2 Reset, Clean Disk, Clean PS2) So after 20min of messing around, I take a look at the disk and there was a few deep scratches. The game worked but the FMV's didn't work at all and the game took ages to load. I had the same thing happen with Final Fantasy X (I get to the last FMV'S After 30+ hours and it wouldn't play because of the scratches).

Now, It's not a big deal since you can return games to EB shops for an exchange, So I drive down to EB and I ask the guy if he could exchange this since its defective and I bought it Online. He has the "WTF?" look on his face and says "I've never done this before" So I say, Well it says on the website and on the back of that paper that you can return in store, so he starts punching the SKU and whatever the hell they do, and can't get it to work. So I said, "I just want to exchange cant you just exchange and do this on your own time". He said "I would but I'm out the game". So he finally gives up and says to me "call the 1-800 number". So I get the 1-800 on hold for 3 hours flash backs and say "Cant you call them", he says "there most likely closed" (its 830pm now) so he calls and talks to some someone. They explain it to him but stilll no luck.They then tell him to give me store credit, so finally he gives me store credit. I then bought Beyond good and Evil. On next day I bought Freedom Fighters new from Kmart.

I know its all most impossible to check every single thing about the game disk but the EB QA department needs to get there sh*t together. This isn't the first time this has happen to me.

Another victim of corporate America. This is why I refuse to buy used games in 9/10 cases (and if I do, I want to THOROUGHLY inspect it first).

You know, if everybody on here who has had this problem reported it to the Better Business Bureau, maybe something can come of this. I'd love to see the game stores punished!!

www.bbb.org

Interesting note: the EBgames.com description of products that they sell is "office furniture".

[quote name='Skylander7']Another victim of corporate America. This is why I refuse to buy used games in 9/10 cases (and if I do, I want to THOROUGHLY inspect it first).

You know, if everybody on here who has had this problem reported it to the Better Business Bureau, maybe something can come of this. I'd love to see the game stores punished!!

www.bbb.org

Interesting note: the EBgames.com description of products that they sell is "office furniture".[/quote]

They sold him a defective piece of merchandise, and then gave him store credit as a refund on said defective piece of merchandise. The BBB would laugh at you if you tried to file under that. They didn't do anything untoward, unethical or shifty.. they're selling used items, there's always a chance that the item will not work.

Now if they refused to accept the return, that would be a different subject.

[quote name='pukemon']you need to get your grammar together. phooey.[/quote]

What are you the grammar police? Some people who shit else to do I guess.

even the EB will take the defective game back after all the troubles and time wasted, it is still kinda very annoying and cheapy

[quote name='Mookyjooky'][quote name='pukemon']you need to get your grammar together. phooey.[/quote]

What are you the grammar police? Some people who shit else to do I guess.[/quote]I thought it was the gestapo. (I doubt I spelled that word right). :oops:

Eb dont't check shit I bought ballers with that 25% off coupon and the disc looked like the dog from sandlot licked it and someone drop spooge (love jucie's) on it

You try checking every disc you get in when you trade 200 games in every day. Thats why you get a warranty. If it dont work, bring it back. You will get another. Would it be fair to say if they checked all the games then they could tell you "no return" if you couldnt get it to work?

Now, as far as them not being able to do the exchange, thats dumb. If they had it in stock they should have just traded discs, no paperwork involved. :roll: Associates kill me sometimes.

[quote name='FREAKMIKE3']You try checking every disc you get in when you trade 200 games in every day. Thats why you get a warranty. If it dont work, bring it back. You will get another. Would it be fair to say if they checked all the games then they could tell you "no return" if you couldnt get it to work?

Now, as far as them not being able to do the exchange, thats dumb. If they had it in stock they should have just traded discs, no paperwork involved. :roll: Associates kill me sometimes.[/quote]

If they thoroughly check the disks and then sell them under the condition of no returns (Which wont ever happen) then of course not, would you? All I'm saying is that if you pay for shipping you should get a working game. If I get a crappy game everytime I order a game even if I do get an exchange at the store, whats the point of ordering online? The money you save on rebates you pay for on the shipping so it really doesn't mater. For the most part all the games I've ordered have worked, but lately EB online has been slacking.

I've had nothing but good luck with EB. The worst i've gotten was some beat up cases, some of my games have scratches but they all work. I almost always buy all of my games used from eb online now with aff25 or pplay15 and saver I can get some decent deals on a large selection of games. Mabye i'm just lucky but I personaly never had any problems with EB.... other than their stores having outrageous prices.

[quote name='FREAKMIKE3']You try checking every disc you get in when you trade 200 games in every day. Thats why you get a warranty. If it dont work, bring it back. You will get another. Would it be fair to say if they checked all the games then they could tell you "no return" if you couldnt get it to work?

Now, as far as them not being able to do the exchange, thats dumb. If they had it in stock they should have just traded discs, no paperwork involved. :roll: Associates kill me sometimes.[/quote]

200 games? oh, the horror. that's nothing. i work at a used record/dvd/maybe a couple of video games store and we check every single disc before we buy anything used. it takes an extra few minutes, sure, but when people buy things from us they know that what they are buying will work. and in the case that we accept something and it still doesn't work (though i'm pretty sure many "defectives" are because the people don't like what they bought) we'll exchange it.

the way i see it, the notion of "we just buy and sell, it's your job to make sure it works" is a pretty crappy.

i scoff at your 200 games.

[quote name='sisco1986']
If they thoroughly check the disks and then sell them under the condition of no returns (Which wont ever happen) then of course not, would you? All I'm saying is that if you pay for shipping you should get a working game. If I get a crappy game everytime I order a game even if I do get an exchange at the store, whats the point of ordering online? The money you save on rebates you pay for on the shipping so it really doesn't mater. For the most part all the games I've ordered have worked, but lately EB online has been slacking.[/quote]

Oh, i wouldnt buy under that condition, I was just trying to make a point. Also, just because it wont work on your system doesnt mean it wont work on someone elses. I see people every day who cant get a game to work on thier system, but it works in my demo. Like people who have thompson drives in their xboxs. I know they have horrible luck with everything or nothing, and with NBA Live 04 I think it was.

Games sent back to the refurb warehouse are checked to see if they work, but they are checked on a pc drive that basically just checks to see if it can read all of the sectors. If so, then it is presumed to work. People cant just sit down and play through every game.

I had so many Dreamcast games sent to my store that were refurbished. In case you dont know, DC games are not repairable. But when I tried to explain that, the response was "the pc says it can read it, so it will work." They dont always consider that the optical drives are different and systems wont always read what a pc drive will.

[quote name='thatstoobad'][quote name='FREAKMIKE3']You try checking every disc you get in when you trade 200 games in every day. Thats why you get a warranty. If it dont work, bring it back. You will get another. Would it be fair to say if they checked all the games then they could tell you "no return" if you couldnt get it to work?

200 games? oh, the horror. that's nothing. i work at a used record/dvd/maybe a couple of video games store and we check every single disc before we buy anything used. it takes an extra few minutes, sure, but when people buy things from us they know that what they are buying will work. and in the case that we accept something and it still doesn't work (though i'm pretty sure many "defectives" are because the people don't like what they bought) we'll exchange it.

the way i see it, the notion of "we just buy and sell, it's your job to make sure it works" is a pretty crappy.

i scoff at your 200 games.[/quote]

I scoff at your scoffing. :roll: So, let me get this straight. Every CD you took back, you placed in a cd player and listened to the whole cd, all the way through?:bs: Just because it plays the first song, doesnt mean it will play the last.

We "check" every disc and make sure that there are no major scratches. Ones that look bad are sent to be repaired. We dont try to sell you a crappy disc. And if it doesnt work, guess what? We will exchange it also. Maybe some stores are lazy, but, thats that stores problem unfortunately. The human factor will always determine your experience at any given store, no matter what the policy.

[quote name='FREAKMIKE3']I scoff at your scoffing. :roll: So, let me get this straight. Every CD you took back, you placed in a cd player and listened to the whole cd, all the way through?:bs: Just because it plays the first song, doesnt mean it will play the last.[/quote]

no, when i say "check" i mean condition, so if the disc isn't spotless we don't take the trade in. we recognize that it isn't fool proof, but it's pretty close, and as i said, if it ends up not working anyways, we will exchange it.

my point was that it isn't very hard to look at the back of a disc and see if it's clean or not, and that looking at 200 games may take ten minutes or so, but it should be worth the effort, plus, isn't that your job? i understand that taking back discs that aren't in the best of conditions may be more profitable since it probably gives you more product to sell, but the way i see it, carrying games or any other disc based products that are in the best of condition is the way to build customer loyalty and trust, especially when you are selling used product over the internet.

What EBgames did you return it to? the one over on elmwood? Cause that EB's has some of the worst employies ever. Not to mention a dick of an manager.

I've never had a problem with used games from EB. The worst I got from them was a copy of Warhawk on the PSOne that I bought from an EB B&M. It looked like hell when I got it home, and taught me to check used games as soon as I get in the car to go home.

The game worked, though. Just needed cleaning. Even if it hadn't worked I'd only be out $2.50.

[quote name='thatstoobad'][quote name='FREAKMIKE3']I scoff at your scoffing. :roll: So, let me get this straight. Every CD you took back, you placed in a cd player and listened to the whole cd, all the way through?:bs: Just because it plays the first song, doesnt mean it will play the last.[/quote]

no, when i say "check" i mean condition, so if the disc isn't spotless we don't take the trade in. we recognize that it isn't fool proof, but it's pretty close, and as i said, if it ends up not working anyways, we will exchange it.

my point was that it isn't very hard to look at the back of a disc and see if it's clean or not, and that looking at 200 games may take ten minutes or so, but it should be worth the effort, plus, isn't that your job? i understand that taking back discs that aren't in the best of conditions may be more profitable since it probably gives you more product to sell, but the way i see it, carrying games or any other disc based products that are in the best of condition is the way to build customer loyalty and trust, especially when you are selling used product over the internet.[/quote]

Ah well, there ya go. I guess you assume we dont check the back of discs. Of course we check the discs like that. We would be idiots to take a disc back without seeing if it needs to be sent to the refurb warehouse. If I take a disc back and it doesnt work, then when I send it back, my store will never see the profit from that disc.

#-o Second thought on that. Should be MOST stores check the back. Again, the human factor, cuz there are lazy peeps out there. I guess when I argue my point, I always give it from the view from my store. I tend to not think about the assclowns out there who are slackers. As far as making sure all is well to build that trust with customers, I couldnt agree with you more. Nothing like having someone come back in telling you that something doesnt work. Makes ya feel bad that they drove all the way home and back.

[quote name='FREAKMIKE3'][quote name='sisco1986']
If they thoroughly check the disks and then sell them under the condition of no returns (Which wont ever happen) then of course not, would you? All I'm saying is that if you pay for shipping you should get a working game. If I get a crappy game everytime I order a game even if I do get an exchange at the store, whats the point of ordering online? The money you save on rebates you pay for on the shipping so it really doesn't mater. For the most part all the games I've ordered have worked, but lately EB online has been slacking.[/quote]

Oh, i wouldnt buy under that condition, I was just trying to make a point. Also, just because it wont work on your system doesnt mean it wont work on someone elses. I see people every day who cant get a game to work on thier system, but it works in my demo. Like people who have thompson drives in their xboxs. I know they have horrible luck with everything or nothing, and with NBA Live 04 I think it was.

Games sent back to the refurb warehouse are checked to see if they work, but they are checked on a pc drive that basically just checks to see if it can read all of the sectors. If so, then it is presumed to work. People cant just sit down and play through every game.

I had so many Dreamcast games sent to my store that were refurbished. In case you dont know, DC games are not repairable. But when I tried to explain that, the response was "the pc says it can read it, so it will work." They dont always consider that the optical drives are different and systems wont always read what a pc drive will.[/quote]

Well since I wanted to make sure my system wasn't fucking up, I went to my friends home to test it out. I have a 500001 Model he has a 300001 the game worked, but it was DEFECTIVE, there was no sound on the FMV's and the game froze more than once on both systems. The disk has major scratches on it. The QA deparment at EBgames must have checked the game found that it did play (or passed the test) and found it to be ok to sale, I'm human I understand that they can't check every single thing about the game (I mentoined that already..) and mistakes like what happend to me are bound to happen. What ever test they do aren't working well since the games do technically work, but there defective (Sound messing up, FMV's not loading, Slow loading ect.) I'm seeing more and more of this every month when I buy my games online and its not my system so you can rule that out. If it keeps happening I'll just buy my used games from there store and save my self the shipping charges along with the wait. I don't want to happen since theres always better deals on the Online store..

[quote name='-Never4ever-']What EBgames did you return it to? the one over on elmwood? Cause that EB's has some of the worst employies ever. Not to mention a dick of an manager.[/quote]

Nope I go to the one at the Mckinley Mall (the store outside the mckinley mall not the inside EB) there good guys that work there; manager is a great guy also.

i just got my Pre-played N64 game from the ebgames.com. its WCW/NWO Revenge. i didnt put the game in my n64 because teh game looks fudged up. its nasty and stuff. the picture sticker is all gooey and stuff. even the bottom part of the game which the system reads it looks gooey. i dont think i can put it in my n64. even the cartridge have some sratches and a section that looks melted by a cigarette or something. do u guys think i can exchange in the store or get a refund? thanks

bread's done
Back