Defense Grid (Tower Defense)

Klank

CAGiversary!
I don't know about you but I loves me some Tower Defense. For a long time I played the custom maps in Warcraft 3 and always wondered why no one had made a specifically TD game. Then Pixel Junk Monsters came out but damn on PS3! So that was a no go. I've heard good things about Ninjatown and I fully intend to look into that but for now what I have found is a game by Hidden Path Entertainment (never heard of them before) called Defense Grid.

Blurb about the game from the official site
About the Game
Defense Grid: The Awakening is a unique spin on tower defense gameplay that will appeal to players of all skill levels. A horde of enemies is invading, and it's up to the player to stop them by strategically building fortification towers around their base. Beautiful environments, spectacular effects, and a dynamic, engaging soundtrack bring the world to life. The controls are intuitive and the gameplay is deep — the special attacks and properties of each tower work together to provide many ways to succeed.

• High Replayability. There are approximately 8 hours of gameplay in the main storyline, and many hours of play in challenge modes that give players unique starting conditions and objectives. Each game level is very replayable, and can be solved in many different ways, with increasing rewards for improved efficiency.
  • Wide Variety of Enemies. Over the course of the game, players battle 15 different enemy types that become increasingly stronger, and employ a variety of strategies in an attempt to bypass the player's defenses. As the levels progress, the enemies become tougher and more difficult to defeat.
  • 20 Unique Levels. Defense Grid: The Awakening has 20 unique environments, each with a different placement of roads, tower build locations, and open areas to plan a strategy around.
  • Numerous Tower Options and Upgrades. There are 10 different tower types with 3 levels of capability each. Each tower has unique trade offs that affect ideal placement, such as line-of-sight attack or ballistic trajectory fire. Some towers improve other nearby towers, and some are ideal at specific locations, such as a rear guard tower that unleashes a devastating attack.
  • Achievements. Successfully completing each level provides a bronze achievement award. Additional goals provide silver and gold awards for a particular level. A novice player may be able to survive the onslaught, but only an experienced player will be able to get all of the gold achievements.

System Reqs

System Requirements
Minimum:
Supported OS: Windows XP, Vista
Processor: 1.8GHz CPU or higher
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Hard disk space: 1GB available space
DirectX version: DirectX 9.0c or higher, June 2008 version or later
Video: Video: DirectX 9 video card with shader 2 support such as the following:
ATI Radeon 9600 or newer (9600-9800, X300-X1950, HD 2400-HD 4870)
NVIDIA GeForce 6100 or newer (6100-6800, 7100-7950, 8300-8800, 9600-9800, or GTX 216-280)

Recommended:
Supported OS: Windows XP, Vista
Processor: dual core 2.0GHz CPU or higher
Memory: 1GB RAM XP, 1.5GB RAM Vista
Hard disk space: 1GB available space
DirectX version: DirectX 9.0c or higher, June 2008 version or later
Video: DirectX 9 video card with shader 3 support and 256MB VRAM such as the following:
ATI Radeon X700 or newer (X700-X1950, HD 2400-HD 4870)
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or newer (7600-7950, 8300-8800, 9600-9800, or GTX 216-280)

Controller: Optionally supports Microsoft Game Controller for Windows

I've been playing the game for a few weeks I guess and its lots of fun. So far I have just been making my way through the main story mode of it though each map once completed gives you the option to do it in challenge mode or several other modes like one where you can only have 10 towers or where you can only use level 1 towers things like that. I know its going to be out on the Xbox Live Arcade eventually and I wanted to wait for that for achievements but ended up jumping on it and getting it from steam. Anyone else been playing this game? I would love to add you to friends on steam so I can have some scores to compete against. I'm Klank Smash on steam if you want to add me.

watch

Man this looks great! I'm a huge fan of tower defense games, I'll probably check it out on xbox when it comes out.

I would love to see some co-op (and competitive) multiplayer action over xbox live though (similar to how some of the war 3 TD's work).

And holy crap - is that Chris Perillo!? I haven't seen him since he took over for Leo Leporte on Call for Help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wizard341']Man this looks great! I'm a huge fan of tower defense games, I'll probably check it out on xbox when it comes out.

I would love to see some co-op (and competitive) multiplayer action over xbox live though (similar to how some of the war 3 TD's work).

And holy crap - is that Chris Perillo!? I haven't seen him since he took over for Leo Leporte on Call for Help :)[/quote]

Yeah multiplay is one of the things that is missing from this game. I hope they add it in a patch or something at some point.

I bought this during the Steam Christmas/New Years sale and I really enjoy it. It's easily the best tower defense game I've played.

Sadly though I'm stuck on one of the missions (where basically the entire map is build pads).

Game is worth $10-15. Might not be appealling to those of you who have played lots of tower defense beforehand. I never really had, and this game is a PERFECT beginner game, as well as containing a decent story. 12 hours in, I'm three missions from the last mission, but also did about 1/3 of the extra missions which involve surviving 99 waves, limited tower amounts, etc.

I missed picking it up for $15 on steam over xmas but I am not unhappy with it as a $20 game.

Looks neat.

Although I never understood why in these games the base doesn't blow out the roads leading to their prize possessions!

I'll get it when its around 10.

Hidden Path uploaded a demo to steam and i recommend it to anybody who wants to see what this game is all about. It has 3 maps and gives the player a good impression of what to expect from the full version. The graphics are very good for an indie-developed game and runs very smooth. Based on the demo, i plan on buying this as soon as i can spare the money (and maybe if there is a weekend deal for it. $20 is a BIT too much for this).

bread's done
Back