Defiance (PS3) Free @ PSN

harrywilson045

CAG Newbie
Grab it, if you like this Game!  O:)

Join thousands of players in Defiance, the Free-to-Play shooter MMO that defines MASSIVE CO-OP. Wield customizable weapons as you hunt for alien technology across a transformed Earth, and experience an evolving TV/MMO story with crossover content that expands the Defiance universe â all for free!

1-64 players
HDTV screen resolution: 720p
Network Features
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/games/defiance/cid=EP2025-NPEB01242_00-DEFIANCE00000001

thanks.

just a heads up, you linked to the uk sen store. on the u.s. store i was also able to add a dlc pack for free but i don't remember if you needed ps+ for the free dlc. i don't intend to play the game though...just thought i'd add free dlc to my account like i always do.

Thanks OP! Been wanting to play this one since it came out but it plummeted so quickly in price that I just kept waiting and waiting. I don't think it's going to get any cheaper than free, so I'll get it now.

Thanks for the reminder. I remember hearing about this going F2P but hadn't heard anything since. I wish the TV show (if it hasn't been cancelled) was actually decent as the concept is actually really cool. I'll try this in hopes it's not complete garbage.

Lets see. A deal would be if it normally cost 20.00 but they had a sale and its 14.99. Free is well free http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/52-contests-free-stuff/
Oh come on.... normally I'm the first to jump on someone for posting in the wrong section but aren't you taking it too far? This is a paid game that just went free.... It's not any different than the threads that popped up when L4D2 was free on Steam for a day, or that time Origin made Dead Space 1 free for awhile.

Besides, who knows how long it would've taken me to know DCUO went F2P is someone hadn't posted it? I still saw it for $20+ in stores long afterwards, I never would've known it was free. I'd hate for somebody here to pay good money for this when it's readily available for free.

As for the game itself..... how much does it tie into the TV show really? I know they were hyping that up a ton. Having seen season 1, it was an ok show but nothing special, and it felt like a lot of information and backstory was held back quite intentionally. I was always curious if that was for the game or some misguided sense of drama/mystery.

Thanks for the reminder. I remember hearing about this going F2P but hadn't heard anything since. I wish the TV show (if it hasn't been cancelled) was actually decent as the concept is actually really cool. I'll try this in hopes it's not complete garbage.
I know it wasn't cancelled, in fact isn't it supposed to be one of Sci Fi's highest rated shows ATM? To be fair, it's not like anybody else is doing Sci Fi right at the moment. Even Falling Skies, which is apparently supposed to be sogreat, is mediocre..... at best. Defiance isn't what I'd call a good show either but it's about all their is in terms of new content :cry:

Last edited:
I wish people would stop quoting Mr_Hat in their posts.  If I wanted to read his posts telling everyone where things belong on this site, I wouldn't have added him to my ignore list,

It's in my download list. Now whether or not I ever get into it is completely up to chance. I'll at least give it a go to try it out if anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might get it, kind of glad I didn't pay for this at launch.  Is there a single player offline campaign?

Been playing Resistance Fall of Man and haven't been really impressed. Although Resistance was launch title for the PS3, I just hope Defiance is just as good.

Amazon has this cheap if you want the disc copy, under $10.

It doesn't take place in the show's area, it takes place on the west coast around a destroyed San Francisco. There are a few story missions featuring characters from the show, but mostly its just set in the same universe. Gunplay is pretty similar to borderlands except in a 3rd person perspective and more of a focus on perks and powers. I just owned the base game on PC (none of the DLC), and played it for about 100 hours before I lost interest. You can play a lot of the DLC missions/raids without owning the DLC, though half the time they give weapons as rewards that require DLC to equip.

Enemies match their HP and difficulty based on the level of you and the other player's in their immediately vicinity. So there is no wandering into a new area and getting slaughtered by impossible enemies, you pretty much have your run of the whole map from the start, though some areas feature enemy types that are still fairly difficult.

The perk system is there is a grid of squares divided into 4 quadrants. In the center of a quadrant is one of 4 primary skills. Overcharge which boosts damage temporarily, Cloak, which gives you the ability to go invisible temporarily. Blur which gives you a short term boost of speed, and decoy which lets you create a hologram to distract enemies. Once you pick a primary skill on the next level up you can either level up the primary skill further or choose to unlock any other perk that is touching an already unlocked perk. Perks in that skill's quadrant usually buff the primary skill in some way.

You can only have so many perks equipped at a time (get more perk slots as you level) as well as create different loadouts with different weapons and perk permutations that you can switch to on the fly. If you level up far enough you can inch your way over to another quadrant and unlock another primary skill (though only one can be active at a time). So at one moment you could be a stealthy rogue cloaking to get a sniper shot to the back for extra damage, and with a click in the menu, now be rushing in with blur to shotgun and melee the enemy to death. You can also respec at the cost of in-game currency, though it gets more expensive the higher you level up.

02a9919b7a1b3dfa9b36689e5b01a729217.jpg

I still have fun playing this game, my only complaint is the "Shadow Wars" PVP arena matches suck. Other than that I like everything else, when you participate in your first major Ark Fall its quite an experience. 

I've played this on PC and enjoyed it. It also got me to watch the TV series of the same name, which imo wasn't half-bad either. Thanks for the heads-up on the free PSN version!

thanks OP, picked it up. We'll see if I ever get around to playing it though
I think you'll be surprise, Pablo, and will like the game. It has a fantastic shooting mechanic, which surprised me when I first started playing it. A lot of FPS games could have learned a thing or too from this. I've been playing that game on and off for over 6 months now, which is more then I can say for Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3.

I think you'll be surprise, Pablo, and will like the game. It has a fantastic shooting mechanic, which surprised me when I first started playing it. A lot of FPS games could have learned a thing or too from this. I've been playing that game on and off for over 6 months now, which is more then I can say for Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3.
Also it does not take long to complete the "story missions", word of advice to anyone who started playing you do not need to really pay anything to advanced in the game. You will get a vehicle just from playing the story missions and the Dodge car is purchasable in the game you just have to google its location.

sounds good, I'll give it a try. I get frustrated pretty quickly with shooters especially when all the other players know what they're doing. I'll try to tough out the learning curve

How do you grab the free PS+ starter pack? I click Download and nothing happens. It doesn't show up on my download list either. Is it redeemed in-game?

How do you grab the free PS+ starter pack? I click Download and nothing happens. It doesn't show up on my download list either. Is it redeemed in-game?
I believe you have to go into the store option in-game. Hold L2 and select the "cart" symbol then look at the top tabs you should see a one of them lit up. That is where you get your reward.

Also here is a link for the Ego code to unlock extra stuff, there was about 150 codes released some give you rare weapons other extra slots for gear.

http://orcz.com/Defiance:_New_Ego_Codes_-_Season_Two
http://orcz.com/Defiance:_Arkfall_Codes

Can you play this game with just 2 people in a party?  I co-op exclusively with 1 friend and we want to be able to talk while we play without other players interrupting us.  Just wondering before I go to the trouble of downloading it.  Thanks.

There aren't enough players to interrupt your game. You can play solo or with a friend but the game's best events are Arkfalls and the sieges, where you fight waves of large hoards of enemies.

Can you play this game with just 2 people in a party? I co-op exclusively with 1 friend and we want to be able to talk while we play without other players interrupting us. Just wondering before I go to the trouble of downloading it. Thanks.
I've never had that issue, the only time you will see a large group is when the Ark Falls happen if you the regular game alot of the times it will just be you and your friend.

I grabbed this today n played for a few hours. I'm having a good time with it so far. There's no reason not to try it if you like shooters. Just be prepared for a whopping 11GB dl after patches. I will def be checking out the show next.

bread's done
Back