DELL 21 day return and exchange policy? Are you kidding me?

TheBigmac

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I purchased an XBOX 360 from DELL as a birthday present for my wife on 2/28. The birthday celebration was last night. Time to open presents, my wife opens her brand new XBOX 360 and lo and behold it has a black scratch on the casing. I thought: No problem. I'll call Dell in the morning and they'll send a replacement. I call this morning and the CSR tells me they only exchange items after 21 days and today is day 22. And to get rid of me, gives me Microsoft tech support phone number. I called and Microsoft is offering to replace my console with a refurbished one. Are you kidding me?

This is Outrageous. Specially from Dell and their 21 day B.S.

(The fact that my wife's birthday was exactly 22 days after I purchased the console, is just icing on the cake of my frustration)

I have purchased 2 high end desktops and 3 laptops from dell in the past year. I'm not kidding. Dell just lost my as a customer.

It's times like this that make me wish people would stop feeling all apprehensive about opening and inspecting gifts before giving them. Situations like this don't happen, and your loved ones don't get junk. It's a win/win situation.

You had 21 days. It's not Dell's fault you thought giving your wife a sealed console was more important than making sure it wasn't junk. Get over yourself.

Just for the record, I do practice what I preach, and I haven't given a sealed gift in years. I always inform the person that I bought it new and made sure it wasn't damaged and why I do so, and I have never gotten any complaints.

[quote name='Chuplayer']It's times like this that make me wish people would stop feeling all apprehensive about opening and inspecting gifts before giving them. Situations like this don't happen, and your loved ones don't get junk. It's a win/win situation.

You had 21 days. It's not Dell's fault you thought giving your wife a sealed console was more important than making sure it wasn't junk. Get over yourself.

Just for the record, I do practice what I preach, and I haven't given a sealed gift in years. I always inform the person that I bought it new and made sure it wasn't damaged and why I do so, and I have never gotten any complaints.[/QUOTE]

While I agree that you should open things and check them, you don't need to be a dick about it and flame the guy. He did nothing wrong.

how much did you pay and you didn't bother checking if everything was ok?

you assume as such but still....

And 21 days are enough for an exchange but just for a scratch?

Why not sell it at a slight loss, if none, and just buy another one?

As for not flaming the guy.... it's a fucking scratch.... but still, it's not Dell's fault, MS's factories placed the scratch, so he should lose business with MS.

[quote name='xycury']how much did you pay and you didn't bother checking if everything was ok?

As for not flaming the guy.... it's a fucking scratch.... but still, it's not Dell's fault, MS's factories placed the scratch, so he should lose business with MS.[/QUOTE]

I got it for 170 shipped from dell. (A deal recently posted here at CAG)

As for inspecting the items, honestly guys, it never occurred to me. You're all gamers like me and it would not surprise you to learn that in the last generation alone I've purchased about 4 or 5 PS3s and maybe 3 or 4 360s. (One would replace the other. of course. I never owned more than one at the time, with the exception of the PS3s which I currently own 2 to be able to play MW2 online with the wife)

Never before I had found as much as a smudge in any sealed item I've ever bought. I had no reason to suspect it would be different this time and I wanted her to have the same sensation I had when I purchased my first 360 and removed all the seals myself. But you're right. Lesson learned. From here on out, the UPS guy won't even make it to the corner after delivering something like this without me being all over it, inspecting every corner and testing the crap out of it for the duration of the return window.

[quote name='TheBigmac']I got it for 170 shipped from dell. (A deal recently posted here at CAG)

As for inspecting the items, honestly guys, it never occurred to me. You're all gamers like me and it would not surprise you to learn that in the last generation alone I've purchased about 4 or 5 PS3s and maybe 3 or 4 360s. (One would replace the other. of course. I never owned more than one at the time, with the exception of the PS3s which I currently own 2 to be able to play MW2 online with the wife)

Never before I had found as much as a smudge in any sealed item I've ever bought. I had no reason to suspect it would be different this time and I wanted her to have the same sensation I had when I purchased my first 360 and removed all the seals myself. But you're right. Lesson learned. From here on out, the UPS guy won't even make it to the corner after delivering something like this without me being all over it, inspecting every corner and testing the crap out of it for the duration of the return window.[/QUOTE]

It's mainly a surprise, what if it wasn't a scratch and you plugged it in and never turns on? eh, you'll still have to deal with MS and not Dell. I've noticed with few companies that would push you towards the manufacturer instead of the reseller... and that just stinks really.

At least it's still a usable system right? Just buy a skin and slap it on.

But good luck in whatever you do. At least you're taking this cool. :cool:

[quote name='xycury']It's mainly a surprise, what if it wasn't a scratch and you plugged it in and never turns on? eh, you'll still have to deal with MS and not Dell. I've noticed with few companies that would push you towards the manufacturer instead of the reseller... and that just stinks really.

At least it's still a usable system right? Just buy a skin and slap it on.

But good luck in whatever you do. At least you're taking this cool. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Thanks mate. I decide to list it on Craigslist to give the buyer the chance to inspect it before paying for it. I just ordered another arcade from amazon for $175 (After included $25 gift card) and It'll be here on Wednesday via Prime.

Cheers.

fuck dell. they start the return/exchange policy from shipped date i think it is and i'd dispute the charges if i were you forget them. you could switch the faceplate easily, sell it on cl but damn it sucks that they won't help you out. stick to amazon

[quote name='Chuplayer']It's times like this that make me wish people would stop feeling all apprehensive about opening and inspecting gifts before giving them. Situations like this don't happen, and your loved ones don't get junk. It's a win/win situation.

Just for the record, I do practice what I preach, and I haven't given a sealed gift in years. I always inform the person that I bought it new and made sure it wasn't damaged and why I do so, and I have never gotten any complaints.[/QUOTE]

What if they don't like the gift and want to return it? Some items can't be returned if opened.

[quote name='bringerofdeath']How big is the scratch? Yeah they should have at least a 30 day return policy like most stores.[/QUOTE]

More than the size of the scratch is the color. It's a black line about this big:

iiiiiiiii

In the frontal part of the console. It looks just horrible in a white console.

[quote name='intoxicated662']fuck dell. they start the return/exchange policy from shipped date i think it is and i'd dispute the charges if i were you forget them. you could switch the faceplate easily, sell it on cl but damn it sucks that they won't help you out. stick to amazon[/QUOTE]

You're right. The 21 days start on the date of invoice so it's just like a 14 day return window you have. And the asshole who handled my case on the phone, he almost couldn't hide the satisfaction in his voice when he realized and proceeded to let me know, it was day 22. I bet he hung up the phone and they game him a fuckin cookie.

[quote name='TheBigmac']In the frontal part of the console. It looks just horrible in a white console. [/QUOTE]

As in the faceplate? Hell, I have a spare faceplate you can have for the cost of shipping if ya want. Unless, it's too late to cancel the amazon order.

I know somebody who bought their kids a pair of plasma tv's for their bedroom for xmas a couple years back when live cash back from ebay was pretty high. He bought them a month before xmas, and when it was time to open them, found out one of the screens was cracked. It had been over 30 days since shipped, so he didn't have any recourse what-so-ever with the seller.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']As in the faceplate? Hell, I have a spare faceplate you can have for the cost of shipping if ya want. Unless, it's too late to cancel the amazon order.

I know somebody who bought their kids a pair of plasma tv's for their bedroom for xmas a couple years back when live cash back from ebay was pretty high. He bought them a month before xmas, and when it was time to open them, found out one of the screens was cracked. It had been over 30 days since shipped, so he didn't have any recourse what-so-ever with the seller.[/QUOTE]

That's really kind of you. My sincere thanks for the offer. It's not in the faceplate thou. I made this in paint but this shows you the exact spot. It just looks bad.

9h5jrq.jpg

Now, as for the guy who bought the plasmas, OUCH!

Tell me it wasn't you. #-o

Honestly, if the system worked fine, I'd just put a sticker over it and call it good.

And this is why I always check return policies before I buy things- although, in your case, Id've demanded a supervisor. I'm sure someone could make an expection for you at 1 day over.

[quote name='xycury']how much did you pay and you didn't bother checking if everything was ok?

As for not flaming the guy.... it's a fucking scratch.... but still, it's not Dell's fault, MS's factories placed the scratch, so he should lose business with MS.[/QUOTE]

Dell sold the product so they are entirely at fault here. I'd say jam it back down their throats if they are giving you a hard time. Complain, complain, and complain some more; they will take it back eventually.

I just purchased a dell laptop with a faulty video card, they told me to pay $250 for a yearly warranty to 'fix' it... I think not. I'm now getting a brand new laptop shipped to me as we speak.

Dell's customer service has gone to hell btw.

[quote name='corporateclone']Dell sold the product so they are entirely at fault here. I'd say jam it back down their throats if they are giving you a hard time. Complain, complain, and complain some more; they will take it back eventually.

I just purchased a dell laptop with a faulty video card, they told me to pay $250 for a yearly warranty to 'fix' it... I think not. I'm now getting a brand new laptop shipped to me as we speak.

Dell's customer service has gone to hell btw.[/QUOTE]

No.

Dell is titled to a reseller for consoles and such, which they have every right to just say go to the manufracturer for any issues/defects.

They have the 21 days, that's their whole policy and doing anything else is YMMV and wholly up to dell. They aren't forced to do anything, no laws or rules.

That might be different for their pcs/monitors, but that's what warranties are for. :bouncy:

Doesn't dell offer a warrnty on systems like that too? and if he didn't purchase it, there's not anything they can do....

Stores have return policies too. You're not going to get any leverage if you wait past that point.

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']What if they don't like the gift and want to return it? Some items can't be returned if opened.[/QUOTE]

Do people seriously do this? That always sounded like the most dickish thing to do.

Anyway, the fact that you're making sure you don't give them garbage outweighs the fact that they can't return it because they don't like it.

[quote name='TheBigmac']Now, as for the guy who bought the plasmas, OUCH!

Tell me it wasn't you. #-o[/QUOTE]
No, it wasn't me. Even if I had 2 kids, I wouldn't buy them matching plasmas for xmas. Not sure what ever happened with this situation, as I didn't want to bring it up in conversation as it was a sore subject to talk about.

Hey guys. A little update on the situation. The day that I created this thread here at CAG, I noticed Dell had one of those new PR pages on facebook, nowadays all companies wanting to be cool are creating. So I copy and pasted the text of my original post at the beginning of this thread on their facebook page.

What do you know, they replied today and apparently, when you make them look like dicks in their shinny PR wall, rules written in stone are not written in stone anymore.

A very nice guy by the name of "Todd" offered to help. Too bad I already sold the console on craigslist and the replacement I ordered from amazon already arrived, but anyway. I only had to pay 5 bucks out of pocket so It wasn't that bad. Here's a capture of the page in case you guys are curious about whet they said.

http://i42.tinypic.com/dwavye.jpg

[quote name='VipFREAK']1. Why, why would you buy from all places Dell?

2. Your wife WANTED a 360?[/QUOTE]

1. Cheapest 360 arcade shipped on the market right now. $168 including tax.

2. Yup.

[quote name='lolwut?']$10 says a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would've taken that shit right off[/QUOTE]

Not in this case. It was not dirt or a stain. The white exterior had been scratched to the point of revealing the real color of the casing which is a dark gray.

[quote name='TheBigmac']More than the size of the scratch is the color. It's a black line about this big:

iiiiiiiii

In the frontal part of the console. It looks just horrible in a white console.

You're right. The 21 days start on the date of invoice so it's just like a 14 day return window you have. And the asshole who handled my case on the phone, he almost couldn't hide the satisfaction in his voice when he realized and proceeded to let me know, it was day 22. I bet he hung up the phone and they game him a fuckin cookie.[/QUOTE]

LOL I am going to let you in on a little secret. I had a friend a few years ago who worked @ dell call center in Oklahoma and yeah, that probably happened because he would tell me alot of things he'd do. Just dispute the charges and if they ask you to return it, charge them to return it because you shouldn't have to pay for it. Also, it's 21 days from the invoice date which is total bullshit so i'd say to really go the dispute route with ya bank or credit card company and buy it off amazon instead. I'd file a complaint with the bbb as well because dell has bad practices like this. On another note, be careful people when ordering from dell because if your information lands in the wrong hands you will regret it for a long time.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Do people seriously do this? That always sounded like the most dickish thing to do.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's why they have gift receipts. But you make a good point, give good gifts and they won't have to be returned.

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']Yes, that's why they have gift receipts. But you make a good point, give good gifts and they won't have to be returned.[/QUOTE]

Meh, I only ever viewed gift receipts as a way to offload the duty of dealing with defective stuff to the gift recipient while also not revealing the price you paid for the thing. Good thing I'm such a nice person that I personally keep the receipts so I can deal with that should the gift turn out to be defective.

And besides, the only time I ever get gift receipts is when I'm buying something for myself in the few weeks leading up to Christmas and never when I would actually need one. What if you're buying a birthday present in the middle of July? Never see one then!

[quote name='darkslime']Oh NO DELL LOST A CUSTOMER WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DOOO!!?!?![/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::applause: I actually agree with darkslime for once.

Besides which, it was a fuckin' scratch. Shit happens in transit and/or at the factory. To me as long as the console still functioned 100% like it should and wasn't someone's used 360 they repacked and shipped back to Dell, WHO CARES?!?!?!

Mind you, I'm a hypocrite on this, since I nitpick on every used game/console I buy and they have to be complete and minty before I'll even consider it.

But to gripe over a scratch and then sell the console at a potential loss on CL over it is ridiculous.:roll:

bread's done
Back