Dell.com PS3 Slim 120GB $269

I think they're clearing stock for the new white model Slim (160GB / 320 GB, possible software-based PS2 backwards-compatibility) CECH-2500.

[quote name='mindsale']I think they're clearing stock for the new white model Slim (160GB / 320 GB, possible software-based PS2 backwards-compatibility) CECH-2500.[/QUOTE]

o_O Where did you hear about that?

[quote name='mindsale']I think they're clearing stock for the new white model Slim (160GB / 320 GB, possible software-based PS2 backwards-compatibility) CECH-2500.[/QUOTE]

Were did you get that information?

[quote name='xFatalFlaw']o_O Where did you hear about that?[/QUOTE]

Successful troll is successful

[quote name='iRent']Were did you get that information?[/QUOTE]
Japan got these models, they are coming july 29th or something. its in white, sony says if their is enough demand, it could come to UK, NA regions. :/

Yeah a good price but I'll wait for the newer models. The White 160/320 is confirmed for Japan on July 29th like someone said, so I doubt it'll be long before we get a new SKU. Though nothing has been announced for NA yet.

A word of caution, your PS3 from Dell may not arrive for a month. I bought one last time Dell had this deal, and the order was delayed 3 times, the third time by 6 weeks, before I finally canceled and bought from Amazon. 4 days after canceling, my PS3 from Dell arrived. Luckly, I was able to cancel the Amazon order in time. Still, Dell really dropped the ball as an online merchant, and I'll think twice before buying from them again.

The new white ones aren't for sure in the US, and they are NOT backwards compatible.
That being said, if you want a regular PS3, this isn't a terrible deal.

Tax kills it for me. Bing cash back will cover the tax, but I rather try to get a ps3 at a $250 price point or $300 when it is bundled with a $50 game.

it is probably more likely that Dell needs to make its numbers for the second quarter. It is a bit early to for Sony to start burning the 120s, given the move bundles won't be out for another two months or so.

Yeah. Call me a troll for writing "possible" backwards-compatibility. We'll probably hear about a US / EU release at Gamescom or TGS - they'll likely fill the current $299 / $349 price-points, or be exclusively bundled with some Move peripherals for $400. It would make sense if there were some Move tie-in - it'll likely be released in NA around mid-September - the Move release window. Expect the 120/250GB Slim to be discounted at that time - and before - as well. There haven't been white Move peripherals shown - I bet that'll change if the flagship PS3 color does.

Also you may want to take into consideration that the white PS3's are pretty much guaranteed to have the new 40nm chipsets that have been rolling out in the CECH-2200+ since June. They'll run slightly quieter, use 15% less power, and create less heat than the earlier Slims do.

Backwards compatibility is NOT coming back.

The only way we're going to be able to play PS2 games on PS3 going forward is in the "Collection" releases. The God of War Collection sold very well. The Sly Collection & Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection are coming, and Sony has even said they plan on releasing more PS2 HD collections.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1101698p1.html

Why would they SPEND $$$ with no return with new firmware/chipsets when they can MAKE $$$ by updating/re-releasing old titles to retail?

On topic, that's not a bad deal, provided Dell doesn't charge tax & offer free shipping. Says it'll ship within 24 hours. But considering Amazon doesn't charge tax or shipping, it's probably better to order from them.... (Being a Prime member doesn't hurt either....)

just like how they were just clearing house of psp's for the psp2 announcement at e3?

[quote name='spawnvader']Backwards compatibility is NOT coming back.

The only way we're going to be able to play PS2 games on PS3 going forward is in the "Collection" releases. The God of War Collection sold very well. The Sly Collection & Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection are coming, and Sony has even said they plan on releasing more PS2 HD collections.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1101698p1.html

Why would they SPEND $$$ with no return with new firmware/chipsets when they can MAKE $$$ by updating/re-releasing old titles to retail?

On topic, that's not a bad deal, provided Dell doesn't charge tax & offer free shipping. Says it'll ship within 24 hours. But considering Amazon doesn't charge tax or shipping, it's probably better to order from them.... (Being a Prime member doesn't hurt either....)[/QUOTE]

Well unless you have the old fat PS3s from launch there is no way of having backwards compatibility. Putting that aside I believe that this is the third time Dell has put a sale on the PS3. The first one sold out within a couple of days I think. Aside from that I agree tax kills the deal so badly, it is almost as if you are paying 300 dollars for it.

[quote name='ne2eire']Is there a release date for ICO/Shadow of the Collosus HD pack?[/QUOTE]

http://kotaku.com/5577898/sony-hears-you-on-those-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-hd-remakes

Nothing official. I'd be shocked if it weren't released a few months before Last Guardian - just how God of War Collection paved the way for God of War 3. They said they'd release Last Guardian information at TGS so we might hear about a Shadow / ICO HD Compilation then.

Please stop discrediting software-based backwards-compatibility since you don't know. Just because they've released two HD compilations with Trophy support doesn't mean they wouldn't return a feature for which they receive flak. I'll find the post in which I read that and re-post it here.

Sumang007 on Kotaku writes:

**ATTENTION**

It seems you guys may have missed the key feature of this new CECH-2500 model... run it through Google Translate, and you get this:

"(Note) This product is a "PlayStation 2" We have special software compatible."

Also, mentioned a price drop on the older model:

"Prior to the launch of new models, July 7, 2010 (Wednesday) from the current 120GB model PS3 ® (CECH-2100A series) opening price will change."

bread's done
Back