Dell has horrible customer service

yukonrye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I bought a 37" Vizio LCD TV via Dell.com fro $429.99 marked down from $629.99. The TV arrives but is DOA and won't power on. I called Dell the same day it arrived (3/19) and ask for a replacement which they agree to, no problem. I called them back today since the TV hasn't arrived yet nor have I received any communication from them about it. When I talked to the rep she had no record of me requesting a replacement. Their records show that I did call on 3/19 and was transferred to the returns dept. and that's it. She saw no other info about it. She also informs me that they can't replace the TV since they don't have it in stock anymore. I check their site while I'm talking to them and see that it is listed as available. She says it must be a computer error. Anyway, after expressing my displeasure and insisting over and over again that they find me a replacement, they magically find one. Then they tell me the same thing that they told me on 3/19; that the TV should arrive in 3-5 business days with a return slip for the broken unit. She also says she'll send a confirmation email either today or tomorrow.

Later today, I started a chat with a Dell sales rep and confirmed that they do have the TV in stock.

So what the fuck is the point of having customer service when they don't seem to keep track of what I called for? Are they just lying to me so they don't have to send another one?

I'm wondering if I should just call Vizio and have them repair it. I really fucking hate Dell.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're late to the complaining party. Dell's customer service started being bad in the late 90's when they moved all their customer service to India and other places.
Over the last few years they claim they have fixed the problems with their customer service. It's all BS.

If you want a product from Dell, then buy it. However, be sure that it's exactly what you want, and hope that you get lucky with longevity. Otherwise, be prepared to deal with inept people, and poor service throughout your 'customer service experience'.

I don't think I've ever bought anything from Dell prior to this. I usually build my own PCs.

And yes, everyone I talked to was Indian.

[quote name='dragonjud']You're late to the complaining party. Dell's customer service started being bad in the late 90's when they moved all their customer service to India and other places.
Over the last few years they claim they have fixed the problems with their customer service. It's all BS.

If you want a product from Dell, then buy it. However, be sure that it's exactly what you want, and hope that you get lucky with longevity. Otherwise, be prepared to deal with inept people, and poor service throughout your 'customer service experience'.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking this exact thing when I was reading the OP's story. They have decent products, but try to stay away from CS.

Besides barely being able to understand the CS rep they actually were pretty cool with me when I needed an OS disk for my netbook

dell fucking sucks, bottom line period! we've seen dell sucks threads alot lately and it's the new thing to do since I guess people got tired of making 'gamestop sucks' threads. just make a sticky about 'dell sucks' and let people post in it honestly because every other day there's a new thread popping up about how horrible dell is. They start the warranty date from the day you order (when invoice is made) so you don't actually get the full return/exchange that you should.

I checked my order status page today. They are shipping the TV for sure and it's coming next day business. Hopefully it will work and I'll never have to deal with them again.

[quote name='dragonjud']You're late to the complaining party. Dell's customer service started being bad in the late 90's when they moved all their customer service to India and other places.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='addicted2games']I was thinking this exact thing when I was reading the OP's story.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing the moment I saw the title.

HP blows too. My girlfriend got a Pavilion that kept locking up on her. She calls up a few times and they make her run the same bullshit tests over and over and nothing indicates any sort of hardware problem. Finally they agree to let her send it in (after formatting twice).

It comes back, same issue happens (random lock up for no reason). She's probably called almost a dozen times now. She has to threaten them in order to get a "floor supervisor" on the phone.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

[quote name='intoxicated662']dell fucking sucks, bottom line period! we've seen dell sucks threads alot lately and it's the new thing to do since I guess people got tired of making 'gamestop sucks' threads. just make a sticky about 'dell sucks' and let people post in it honestly because every other day there's a new thread popping up about how horrible dell is. They start the warranty date from the day you order (when invoice is made) so you don't actually get the full return/exchange that you should.[/QUOTE]
The sonystyle site did this with my laptop I got from them. It was my only complaint though. I had a couple issues that I dealt with cs on and they were resolved very promptly.

Is it possible for someone to give their opinion on buying from the Dell outlet, so far I hear nothing but good things, but I don't want to be stuck with the odd machine that never works perfectly in the first place. I only have enough money to purchase a computer once every 5 or so years so I have to make sure its done right the first time.

bread's done
Back