Dell OEM XP Pro restore discs, NEW: how much would YOU pay?

SpeedFire

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
How much would you pay for a Dell OEM XP Proffessional "restore" disc? It will work on any PC and does not need a key. These are completely legit, shrink-wrapped discs. Before any trolls give me anything about the legality of this, it IS legal. As long as I include a piece of PC hardware (can even be a cable) I can sell these. Don't ask, very weird OS selling rules.

Anyways, how much would you pay for a legit XP Pro dell oem? I noticed non OEM copies go for upwards of $150 on eBay, so perhaps slightly less?

Is anyone interested?

Oh, and incase you're wondering how we picked these up, here's the story. A friend of mine manages a gigantic PC network in Florida, and they receive software on a daily basis from many companies. They purchased a mass- XP pro license from Microsoft a while ago with hundreds of serials, so they decided "Why use the OEM serials included with the Dells when we can use what we really payed for?" They are giving out the Dell OEM XP Pro cds to friends or family, like myself. Well there's the story. Don't threadcrap.

I IMed my friend who is giving these to me and asking him.

For the time being, how much would you pay for one or the other?

Getting fre XP Pro disks, selling on CAG...

Um...20?

After reading Flimzo's reply below, I too will vouch that I haven't gotten a Dell OEM disk to work on another computer. For all intents and purposes, we'll skip just HOW I did that for....reasons, and all you simply need to know is that it didn't work. Not sure how that sort of thing is done on the security end, but there must be something. The CD just kept spinning.

Are you sure it will work on any PC? I work with over a hundred Dell's all day and have lots of these disks. I have never been able to get one to work on a non-Dell PC, never, and believe me, I have tried. I say it wont work. Not thread crapping, but I just wouldnt want someone to spend money on somethat that probably wont work for them. Dont take someones word for it, try it for yourself and you will see that it wont work.

[quote name='Strell']The CD just kept spinning.[/quote]

You probably had a secondary drive with over 160gb. That is a installation issue with all Windows disks.

I think The Dell disks will detect for an official Dell bios and will not proceed if none is detected. It will say it is for Dell PC's only when trying to install it.. Trust me, I just tried it 3 minutes ago to make sure... I guess it will be a huge YMMV..

Thats a neg. My pal tested them on several different kinds of PCs and it worked. And as I said, if it doesn't work (even though it WILL) I would give a refund. I tried this myself on my home-built PC with a Toshiba OEM XP Pro and it worked swell. So I'm sure my friend ain't full of it ;)

Do you know what other software it comes with? This is the full system restore, right? So it probably has Works and some other programs preloaded?

[quote name='SpeedFire'][quote name='Strell']The CD just kept spinning.[/quote]

You probably had a secondary drive with over 160gb. That is a installation issue with all Windows disks.[/quote]

itll still boot up and ask to hit f8 to install a large capacity drives drivers...

[quote name='SpeedFire']Thats a neg. My pal tested them on several different kinds of PCs and it worked. And as I said, if it doesn't work (even though it WILL) I would give a refund. I tried this myself on my home-built PC with a Toshiba OEM XP Pro and it worked swell. So I'm sure my friend ain't full of it ;)[/quote]

Well I guess I stand corrected... Good Luck :wink:

[quote name='_heretic']Do you know what other software it comes with? This is the full system restore, right? So it probably has Works and some other programs preloaded?[/quote]

I'll ask him that when he signs back online :wink:

[quote name='BasketCase1080'][quote name='SpeedFire'][quote name='Strell']The CD just kept spinning.[/quote]

You probably had a secondary drive with over 160gb. That is a installation issue with all Windows disks.[/quote]

itll still boot up and ask to hit f8 to install a large capacity drives drivers...[/quote]

That will only work if you install the OS on the large drive. And it's not guarenteed to work either :p

The point is, is that the error was most likely caused not by the installation disc, but by a hardware error :wink:

[quote name='SpeedFire'][quote name='BasketCase1080'][quote name='SpeedFire'][quote name='Strell']The CD just kept spinning.[/quote]

itll still boot up and ask to hit f8 to install a large capacity drives drivers...[/quote]

That will only work if you install the OS on the large drive. And it's not guarenteed to work either :p

The point is, is that the error was most likely caused not by the installation disc, but by a hardware error :wink:[/quote]

that still doesnt explain why strells disc didnt work....

As I said, it could be a hardware error. In fact it is most likely a hardware error.

All these OEM discs are, is a copy of XP with some included software and perhaps some additonal drivers.

I tried to install it on a computer with a ....5 gig harddrive? It just kept spinning. I had verified the CD drive as working with several other CDs, burned and not, before and after this.

Then I tried an XP Home disc I owned myself.

Worked wtihout problem.

Don't assume things. It didn't work. Computer rebooted, generic motherboard information came up, "Trying to boot from CD" message appeared, whrrwhrrwhrrwhrrwhrrhwhrr...gave up two minutes later and resorted to a different CD.

Good luck with these things, but I just wouldn't expect much if I purchased one unless I owned a Dell computer.

These are different discs though. These were designed for Dell laptops. Odds are, you likely own a different disk.

I wasn't assuming, simply guessing ;)

And these have been tested and work on non-Dells, so whats the problem?

The problem is that two people in here have said "they don't work on other computers" and you are telling us they are.

All I'm saying is buyer beware. If you gaurantee a refund, then all that's lost is a lot of time on each persons part. So I'm not saying to NOT do it, I'm just saying someone should be ready for anything.

So I hope no one takes my word as solid on this, because it's essentially mine versus OP (Speedfire), and I doubt he's out to screw people, nor am I out to call him untrustworthy. I work tech support, I just get tired of people blaming me as the tech for shit they can't handle. And with that, I enter into situations like this with caution, and I'm just ready for it to be a bigger hassle than I think it should be. That's all.

I mean, again, if you can sell them, then by all means do. Windows is stupidly expensive, and saving CAGs some cash is highly appreciated.

That all said, if you ever reach a price point that seems fair (to me I mean), I'll take one from you.

Since I am getting them for free, and XP Pro full seems to go for around $145 give or take, I'm thinking $90 a pop for CAGs?

I understand Strell. My friend's word can be taken though. I have more concern for my buyers, and keeping them happy, because I don't plan on being banned from CAG :p

I just bought a Dell notebook and tried to install Windows XP (with the reinstall disc) on two other desktop computers I have (one of which is a Dell). I was able to install it on the Dell, but not the non-Dell desktop. Like other posters have mentioned, I think there is some sort of lock out for non Dell computers.

bread's done
Back