DemocracyForums.com Launched

defender

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)

Please check out my new politcal debate forums.

So I have started a debate forums this month and it seems to be picking up. I been wanting to get one going for a while and finally got a good domain (democracyforums.com). I am inviting any and all to join, participate, and enjoy the site. I will be looking for good moderators at the site. I also request feedback on the site layout, usability, and categories. I feel that the categories can still be improved and your assistance would be helpful.

Thanks guys.
Defender (Jesse, Omniscient, Labrocca)

http://www.democracyforums.com

This is posted with CheapyD's permission and approval..

What made you want to create a politics forum? I remember you chimed in here a few times before the 2004 elections, but never really saw you leave the videogame forums and cheapass lifestyle forum too often.

One thing I recommend about moderators - pick ones that have a great deal of patience and who don't talk down on users. There's a couple moderators on this site that I feel overstep their authority (not you) and act condescending or apply too much censure. Censoring people's posts is one thing I can't stand, and I think CheapyD has been pretty good with leaving the forums alone on this site. The moment a moderator starts editing people's posts simply because they disagree with them is the day I leave. I also recommend "hiding" their moderator status if they also want to participate with discussions. Otherwise, users tend to act differently around moderators. Even if I was a moderator, I wouldn't want a "moderator" note under my name. I don't want that to inhibit people from discussions (or occassional flamings ;) )

Just things I've noticed here that could be improved upon. I'll check your site out tonight when I leave work. Good luck, defender.

I see PAD applied for moderator over there (only because I noticed he was the newest member). Gotta say - those that have been on this board for awhile (PAD, 'zo, myke, camoor, bmulligan, mrbadexample, etc) all might be good candidates. That's because they've been on a vs. forum like this for awhile, know how to handle criticism and flaming, and also know how to debate. Unlike those who post regularly on DU and Freerepublic - many of those members probably couldn't handle it.

Just my two cents.

Well actually I used to participate here a lot before I left NYC and sold my store off. Lately I just been really busy with site development and family. I actually participate more at webmaster forums and in legal discussions. However I really did always want to start a political site. I even discussed it at one point with PAD.

I have of course made him a moderator at DF. I would love for one of the regular left-wingers here to be a mod too. I want the site to have all sides debated fairly and openly. Even though I would consider myself conservative I want the site to be about debate, democracy, and politics.

I know the subject matter can get out of hand at times but I am hoping to have maturity at the site. However I don't want totalitarian mods...I would rather see respectful guidance of the simple forum rules with as much tolerance as possible. It will be interesting to see if the site can be developed further.

I think this is a good time to start the site and I am hoping that by the time the 2008 presidential hopefuls are announced that DF will be a popular debate site. I would think I have about 6-12 months to get the ball rolling really well.

E-Z-B your suggestion to hide the mod group will be considered.

Thanks.

lol, been trying to stir debate and discussion for your site over there, Defender, but it doesn't seem to be working yet. Guess it's still a little too new, but I'll keep working to bring more interest and hopefully new regulars to your site.

We may be on opposite sides of the spectrum, but that doesn't mean we can't have some fun. :p

EDIT: One other thing I noticed - many of those registered seem to be young and just starting to get their feet wet in the politics pool. But I guess we were all there at one point.

You'll all be pleased to know that I am indeed a moderator on this site.

The site is really laid out well and for junkies like ourselves it will open up a whole slew of new people to debate with.

Anyone concerned that I'm all about "PAYBACK BIATCH!" don't worry. I don't hold online grudges. The site is good and if we all stepped up and moved over there CheapyD could finally shut down this abomination of a board . I only say that in the spirit that no site dedicated to finding cheap video games should have a political forum.

We're like Nightline. We were born out of crisis from people having too many debates OT during the 04 election and now we're like a pool of stagnant water. The same 15 people having the same 5 arguments every day. Breeding contempt for one another like so many waterborne parasitic ailments.

We need fresh moving water, new personalities and new conversation to blow the stink off. I respectfully ask every one of you to create a user profile over here.

When CheapyD decided to move us into the basement by extracting the political threads from the Lifestyle & Off-topics forum and into its own separate forum, then remove the lastest postings from the front page, he sealed the fate of political threads on CAG. I can't blame Cheapy though - politics are too heated for some people, including sponsors and advertisers. Cheapy wants to specialize in videogame deals and make money, not run a political debate website.

There's fresh people on Defender's site, and it has potential to be a great site. I just hope that the level of moderation on this site (that being very low or almost non-existent) will cary over to Defender's site. It's more fun that way. ;)

Actually it was my suggestiont to CheapyD that he start this political forums because the OT was getting a bit too heated. I even named it VS MODE and thought it very appropriate. :)

My site may take a few months to get really going but I am working hard on it. It only takes about 10 regular posters to attract regular members. The good thing is that Google is already indexing and caching the site very well.

I am considering some type of giveaway at DF to help attract more members. Not sure yet what to give away though.

So I have a question about merchandise for a winner.

1. What would republicans want?
2. What would democrats want?

I am thinking along the lines of a shirt, jacket, or mugs..hmm...what about an Amazon gift certificate? That might do well.

I like Mykey's suggestion better.

I need some 12 gague ammo.

Wait, I could get that at Wal Mart! Man buying guns, gas and beer at the same store rocks!

[quote name='defender']

So I have started a debate forums this month and it seems to be picking up. I been wanting to get one going for a while and finally got a good domain (democracyforums.com). I am inviting any and all to join, participate, and enjoy the site. I will be looking for good moderators at the site. I also request feedback on the site layout, usability, and categories.

Thanks guys.
Defender (Jesse, Omniscient, Labrocca)
.[/quote]

The best forum layout is FreeRepublic.com... none can compare IMHO... It is ranked in top 10 of political forums (and is the only conservative one).... but other than it's huge fanbase... it has no ads and it is completely supported by users... but dang it has a nice feel about it... it has http based replys and the features like email and user pages rock... it makes it's users feel like a million bucks...

I personally would love to buy the code to it, gotta be worth a small fortune.

bread's done
Back