Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='jh6269']It's the one with the blue guy sitting in front. Then count clockwise from there.[/QUOTE]
thank you very much!

Well renewed talk of the semi-sequel has motivated me to try and finally finish my story / character / lore FAQ which I started last year.

Fun fact of the day, the miners in Stonefang were once men, the colorless fog and greed for shiny things transformed them into the single-minded creatures with yellow, lizard-like eyes and bodies covered in scales. Blacksmith Boldwin fled Stonefang early so the transformation stopped at his wrists. Blacksmith Ed however stayed in Stonefang and his body is almost completely covered in scales. Much like the miners who search for ore mostly ignoring the player, Ed never stops working at the forge and pays as little attention to the player as possible. It won't be much longer before the same madness fully engulfs him.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Well renewed talk of the semi-sequel has motivated me to try and finally finish my story / character / lore FAQ which I started last year.

Fun fact of the day, the miners in Stonefang were once men, the colorless fog and greed for shiny things transformed them into the single-minded creatures with yellow, lizard-like eyes and bodies covered in scales. Blacksmith Boldwin fled Stonefang early so the transformation stopped at his wrists. Blacksmith Ed however stayed in Stonefang and his body is almost completely covered in scales. Much like the miners who search for ore mostly ignoring the player, Ed never stops working at the forge and pays as little attention to the player as possible. It won't be much longer before the same madness fully engulfs him.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's one thing that really intrigues me about Demon's Souls. I really wish they would make a prequel or something so we could see just how everything wend down with Boletaria when the colorless fog came.

i killed the last boss on world 5, maiden astrea, so i got pure white world tendency and decided to go look for BP garl vinland, and he was there.... but i was about to kill him, and he healed himslef, wich pissed me off, so i quit the game and thought about returning later. and when i loaded the game again he wasnt there and the world tendency wasnt pure white anymore.... any one knows what might have caused it?

[quote name='Tavohl']i killed the last boss on world 5, maiden astrea, so i got pure white world tendency and decided to go look for BP garl vinland, and he was there.... but i was about to kill him, and he healed himslef, wich pissed me off, so i quit the game and thought about returning later. and when i loaded the game again he wasnt there and the world tendency wasnt pure white anymore.... any one knows what might have caused it?[/QUOTE]
Were you in soul form?

[quote name='Tavohl']i killed the last boss on world 5, maiden astrea, so i got pure white world tendency and decided to go look for BP garl vinland, and he was there.... but i was about to kill him, and he healed himslef, wich pissed me off, so i quit the game and thought about returning later. and when i loaded the game again he wasnt there and the world tendency wasnt pure white anymore.... any one knows what might have caused it?[/QUOTE]
If you were signed into PSN when you reloaded the game your world tendency is averaged between the server (which is an average of all the rest of the player's world tendencies) and your own world tendency. Since the server tendency is never pure white except during special events, your own world tendency will always shift down to just below pure white whenever you load a character while logged into PSN.

If you logged out of PSN before starting up Demon's Souls, then I don't know what happened.

yeah i was logged in to PSN, and i thought the server migth have caused it, cause boletaria palace was neutral and its shiny now... damn, i cant kill garl vinland now. thanks for helping.

[quote name='Tavohl']yeah i was logged in to PSN, and i thought the server migth have caused it, cause boletaria palace was neutral and its shiny now... damn, i cant kill garl vinland now. thanks for helping.[/QUOTE]
Good news is the weapon he drops, Bramd, is not really that good so it's only really useful toward the weapon trophy or to look good for your Pantheon statue when you finish the game. If your going for trophies, then you'll have to play through the game 2 more times anyway in order to get platinum, so that's two more chances to get the weapon.

yeah ill have to keep playing. and npw that i was thinking about it, playing online can really affect youur game, specially your first playthrough, npcs that appear on Pure white or pure black, wont be available.
But its easier if its your first playthrough since only one boss is needed to get pure white. And most of the special npcs appear on x-1/x-2 areas.
Just have play offline after getting the pure white tendecy events unlocked. then get it to pure dark after killing arch demon, and move char tendency to pure white in first playtrhough. or move char tendecy to black finish mephistopheles quests. and move world tendency to black so your char tendency starts moving to white.
Easy....

Damn I've been playing online and couldn't get my worlds to pure white tendency and now I know why. I do like kicking BP's asses though when they invade my world.

The firsy time a BP invaded I had no idea what was going on and got my ass kicked.

Since that time I havent lost again. I now carry extra gear and grasses whenever I'm in a position where I could get invaded.

[quote name='Puffa469']Damn I've been playing online and couldn't get my worlds to pure white tendency and now I know why. I do like kicking BP's asses though when they invade my world.

The firsy time a BP invaded I had no idea what was going on and got my ass kicked.

Since that time I havent lost again. I now carry extra gear and grasses whenever I'm in a position where I could get invaded.[/QUOTE]
What equipment do you have with you?

[quote name='AzzidReign']What equipment do you have with you?[/QUOTE]

I normally use magic and a bow to take out most enemies, I have a level 60-something Royal. But that stuff never works in PVP, the other player will just roll out of the way.

When I see the message that a BP has appeared, I switch to my Crescent Falchion + 4 and Purple something shield + 4 (I forget the name). I also switch to a grass the recovers more HP than the crescent grass I usually roll with.

I will usually let the invader attack first. That way I can see if they want to Bow first and be honorable about the fight. Sometimes they just want to jump me or backstab me while I'm fighting an enemy. It doesn't matter to me what they do, I'm ready for them either way.

[quote name='Puffa469']I normally use magic and a bow to take out most enemies, I have a level 60-something Royal. But that stuff never works in PVP, the other player will just roll out of the way.

When I see the message that a BP has appeared, I switch to my Crescent Falchion + 4 and Purple something shield + 4 (I forget the name). I also switch to a grass the recovers more HP than the crescent grass I usually roll with.

I will usually let the invader attack first. That way I can see if they want to Bow first and be honorable about the fight. Sometimes they just want to jump me or backstab me while I'm fighting an enemy. It doesn't matter to me what they do, I'm ready for them either way.[/QUOTE]
Yea magic is usually not the way to go when you PVP. The Purple Flame Shield is very good, I recommend you max it out, and I'm assuming the other grass you use is Half Moon Grass? or is it Full Moon Grass?...

[quote name='AzzidReign']Yea magic is usually not the way to go when you PVP. The Purple Flame Shield is very good, I recommend you max it out, and I'm assuming the other grass you use is Half Moon Grass? or is it Full Moon Grass?...[/QUOTE]

I'll use half or full, whatever I have more of to spare. Full is better because sometimes I run up against some guy with a ginormous Axe that takes off 90% of my health in one hit. I try not to get hit, but if I sense my opponent is backing off to eat some grass I'll run in recklessly to try and finish them off.

Question for ya, are any of the unique names weapons worth leveling up? I got pure white world tendency on Shrine of Storms the other day and was able to get that samurai sword that you show to Satsuki. I also have a few other unique weapons.

[quote name='Puffa469']I'll use half or full, whatever I have more of to spare. Full is better because sometimes I run up against some guy with a ginormous Axe that takes off 90% of my health in one hit. I try not to get hit, but if I sense my opponent is backing off to eat some grass I'll run in recklessly to try and finish them off.[/QUOTE]

Tip: thowing knives are a good way to interrupt grass-eating in PvP. They suck aginst the computer, though.

[quote name='Backlash']Tip: thowing knives are a good way to interrupt grass-eating in PvP. They suck aginst the computer, though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I have a bunch of those with Stockpile Tommy. I'll make sure to put a handful in my inventory.

If I hit someone with the knife, does it interrupt the animation of them eating the grass so they have to start over again? That would be sweet if I could throw the knives faster than they can eat grass.

[quote name='Puffa469']I'll use half or full, whatever I have more of to spare. Full is better because sometimes I run up against some guy with a ginormous Axe that takes off 90% of my health in one hit. I try not to get hit, but if I sense my opponent is backing off to eat some grass I'll run in recklessly to try and finish them off.

Question for ya, are any of the unique names weapons worth leveling up? I got pure white world tendency on Shrine of Storms the other day and was able to get that samurai sword that you show to Satsuki. I also have a few other unique weapons.[/QUOTE]
Best sword in the game is the Blue Blood Sword, it's attack power is based upon your faith stats, but it's requirement includes Magic and Dexterity I think. What soul level are you?

[quote name='Puffa469']Thanks for the tip. I have a bunch of those with Stockpile Tommy. I'll make sure to put a handful in my inventory.

If I hit someone with the knife, does it interrupt the animation of them eating the grass so they have to start over again? That would be sweet if I could throw the knives faster than they can eat grass.[/QUOTE]

Yes. And thowing knives is much faster than eating grass, so as long as you're quick you can make sure they don't get to eat grass before you finish them off.

[quote name='AzzidReign']Best sword in the game is the Blue Blood Sword, it's attack power is based upon your faith stats, but it's requirement includes Magic and Dexterity I think. What soul level are you?[/QUOTE]

The BBS attack power is based on luck. It has requirements of 12 (2-hand) or 18 (1-hand) str, 18 for mag, faith, and dex.

[quote name='Backlash']Yes. And thowing knives is much faster than eating grass, so as long as you're quick you can make sure they don't get to eat grass before you finish them off.[/QUOTE]

I find it more easy to backstab when they are trying to eat grass. An PvE build can even take a BP near death at full health after a backstab. Also, you could just use Baby's nail just to get the plague on and prevent healing.

[quote name='Supplice']I find it more easy to backstab when they are trying to eat grass, even an "all-rounder" build should take them near death at full health. Also, you could just use Baby's nail just to get the plague on them and prevent healing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I used to carry the baby's nail for that reason. It's pretty funny watching people desperately trying to equip the right grass to get rid of plague. But later I found it much more effective to use the 4 slots for other things (I was a mage so I used a shield, kris knife, +5 falchion (moon I think?), and catalyst).

The point of using knives to prevent grass eating is when you're too far to hit them with your weapon. If you're close enough to backstab you can interrupt the grass eating in lots of ways. (Also I never got good at backstabbing :) )

[quote name='Supplice']The BBS attack power is based on luck. It has requirements of 12 (2-hand) or 18 (1-hand) str, 18 for mag, faith, and dex.

I find it more easy to backstab when they are trying to eat grass. An PvE build can even take a BP near death at full health after a backstab. Also, you could just use Baby's nail just to get the plague on and prevent healing.[/QUOTE]
I knew I was wrong somewhere, thanks for clarifying that, I haven't played DS in a while now :lol:

[quote name='Supplice']The BBS attack power is based on luck. It has requirements of 12 (2-hand) or 18 (1-hand) str, 18 for mag, faith, and dex.[/QUOTE]
Luck is an incredibly weak stat by comparison and the damage scaling caps early. I could not recommend it over the Large Sword of Moonlight, as it carries a better dmg/wt ratio and can not be blocked. It also shares its primary boost stat with Faith, making it an excellent choice for 'paladin-ish' specs. Quite honestly, it's the best choice for PvP and PvE from 1-712.

AzzidReign said:
I knew I was wrong somewhere, thanks for clarifying that, I haven't played DS in a while now :lol:

I understand :cool:. I still get lots of invite spam to "fight clubs" for PvP or I tag along with my friends every now and then to beat down invaders when they play. Out of my 4 pvp characters, one of them is a BBS build. Its devastating in 2-hand since it gains stun-lock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got this game all I have to say is this is a must buy for only 20 bucks brand new or probaly cheaper at Gamestop or something like that. 11/10 personaly :)

[quote name='dante2007']I just got this game all I have to say is this is a must buy for only 20 bucks brand new or probaly cheaper at Gamestop or something like that. 11/10 personaly :)[/QUOTE]
How far are you into the game?

ok guys i started as a royal and now i can get skills. which ones should i upgrade first

the most bang for its buck

Str, dex, endurance, or vitality. what do you all recommend?

Secondly the stupid crystal gekkos... i've read you can spam soul arrow.. which i did perfectly for one..but then the next 3.. after i stunned the gekko .. the auto aim stopped automatically, so when i tried to shoot it a second time, my soul arrow just randomly shot at the wall. by the time i pressed R3 to autoaim the gekko dissappeared!

this happened 3 times in a row!! why does the autoaim stop after i stun the gekko? should i press r3 shoot him, press r3 again and shoot him, over and over?

or just press r3 once and then keep shooting (r2)? after losing my 3rd gekko i almost rage threw my controller into my tv

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't give you big advice on the game in general since I hadn't played it in a bit, but I can remember hating going after geckos with soul arrow as it failed a good percentage of the time... a bow and arrow works much better (whenever you get that option :lol: )

[quote name='AzzidReign']How far are you into the game?[/QUOTE]
I killed That Blob Boss, The Knight, and the Red Dragon not sure how to get past the fog door and I belive I killed one boss in the second zone but was my B-Day other this weekend so havent got to it since.

[quote name='dante2007']I killed That Blob Boss, The Knight, and the Red Dragon not sure how to get past the fog door and I belive I killed one boss in the second zone but was my B-Day other this weekend so havent got to it since.[/QUOTE]
Have to kill an archdemon (the 3rd and final boss) of one of the other four worlds before that fog gate will drop in the Boletarian Palace. I would recommend you go through and kill the first bosses in each of the four worlds (as that will give you a nice mix of armor and equipment) and then kill all the bosses in one of the four other worlds.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Have to kill an archdemon (the 3rd and final boss) of one of the other four worlds before that fog gate will drop in the Boletarian Palace. I would recommend you go through and kill the first bosses in each of the four worlds (as that will give you a nice mix of armor and equipment) and then kill all the bosses in one of the four other worlds.[/QUOTE]
Oh thanks was woundering about that, I gotta say loving this game still was getting tired of games you can just hack and slash your way through but you acctualy gotta think a little when starting a fight in this game cause if you die you loose alot :p

I am getting royally pissed off at the Valley of Defilement. That effing swamp, and that effing walkway. And I got owned last night by a red phantom who is magically able to run full speed and roll around in the swamp, AND has a weapon that damages me even with my 100% blocking shield.

This red phantom is the first time I really felt the game was being cheap and unfair. I dont mind hard, but I cant stand cheap. It seems like this entire level is designed to punish me for the slightest mistake.

Yes, Valley of Defilement 5-2 is the suck. Reason that black phantom can do damage to you is the weapon it carries does equal amounts of physical and magical damage, and the shield you are likely carrying only has 30-60% reduction for magic damage. If you stick to the right in the swamp at the start you can completely bypass that black phantom and leave it for when you are stronger. The main trick to killing it is luring it to one of the islands of dry land and fighting it there.

[quote name='Puffa469']I am getting royally pissed off at the Valley of Defilement. That effing swamp, and that effing walkway. And I got owned last night by a red phantom who is magically able to run full speed and roll around in the swamp...[/QUOTE]

The goblins can run full speed in the swamp as well so plan accordingly.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Yes, Valley of Defilement 5-2 is the suck. [/QUOTE]

Haters! :razz:

[quote name='Supplice']The goblins can run full speed in the swamp as well so plan accordingly.

Haters! :razz:[/QUOTE]

Yeah those goblin guys dont bother me much, not even the giant one. I have a purple flame shield and can block their hits 100%. It's only that Phantom that owned me because I had no idea it would be there.

I did avoid it next time but died on the walkway past the first fog gate when those 20 goblins drop out of a cave over the walkway. They couldnt even kill me but I fell while attacking them. After those two deaths I had to put the game down for a bit.

All I need to finish now is world 5, and the last part of world 1.

[quote name='Puffa469']Yeah those goblin guys dont bother me much, not even the giant one. I have a purple flame shield and can block their hits 100%. It's only that Phantom that owned me because I had no idea it would be there.

I did avoid it next time but died on the walkway past the first fog gate when those 20 goblins drop out of a cave over the walkway. They couldnt even kill me but I fell while attacking them. After those two deaths I had to put the game down for a bit.

All I need to finish now is world 5, and the last part of world 1.[/QUOTE]
If you don't mind curing poison several times, once you get on the walkway and past the huge fence through the center of the swamp you can drop down into the swamp and follow the base of the walkway around the left side and bypass all those enemies (and also don't have to worry about falling off). Then you get to watch the goblins all fall to their deaths :twisted:.

Just don't follow along the right side (by the huge fence) or you're in for a nasty surprise :lol:. Also make sure to go on past the boss fog gate and keep following the swamp wall around until you find a bridge you can kick down for a shortcut as it will let you bypass ALL that swamp crap if you die to the boss.

It's been so long since I played that I don't remember the exact equipment, but if you equip all leather armor pieces (found in Tower of Latria plus maybe one other place?) and a ring that regenerates health (I forget the name), plus the Adjudicator's shield (in 4-1 I think? anyway it also regenerates health) then you can basically walk around in the swamp without having to ever heal much at all because the poison drains you so slowly. That way you can just avoid most of the enemies and it makes it much easier.

[quote name='Backlash']It's been so long since I played that I don't remember the exact equipment, but if you equip all leather armor pieces (found in Tower of Latria plus maybe one other place?) and a ring that regenerates health (I forget the name), plus the Adjudicator's shield (in 4-1 I think? anyway it also regenerates health) then you can basically walk around in the swamp without having to ever heal much at all because the poison drains you so slowly. That way you can just avoid most of the enemies and it makes it much easier.[/QUOTE]

You also could arrow them to death. There is a distance where you can pepper them and they run to where they think the arrow is coming from. Takes a bit of patience and arrows but will work w/o having to melee them in the swamp.

[quote name='bob330i']You also could arrow them to death. There is a distance where you can pepper them and they run to where they think the arrow is coming from. Takes a bit of patience and arrows but will work w/o having to melee them in the swamp.[/QUOTE]
I've done that many times and it works perfectly! But one thing to avoid is fighting the Black Phantom sister of Garl Vinland....the one who holds the Blind sword....and is a pain to fight :bomb:

[quote name='AzzidReign']I've done that many times and it works perfectly! But one thing to avoid is fighting the Black Phantom sister of Garl Vinland....the one who holds the Blind sword....and is a pain to fight :bomb:[/QUOTE]
Yep, I eventually gave up trying to fight her fair (and I would if she didn't have that blasted healing spell) and just had to cheese it by using the thief's ring, staying at her periphery, and casting poison cloud over and over until she died.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Yep, I eventually gave up trying to fight her fair (and I would if she didn't have that blasted healing spell) and just had to cheese it by using the thief's ring, staying at her periphery, and casting poison cloud over and over until she died.[/QUOTE]
Edit.Didnt read the full comment but was going to suggest using Death cloud, then i read the whole comment. Death cloud is very helpful. Slow but effective.

[quote name='Tavohl']any one knows if mephistopheles, dissappears if my char. tendency is not pure black?[/QUOTE]
Yes he does, well at least that's what happened to me, you have to be the purest black you can be for him to show up.

[quote name='Tavohl']any one knows if mephistopheles, dissappears if my char. tendency is not pure black?[/QUOTE]

She doesn't.

I just got this today and started playing. I've gotten my ass handed to me on a silver platter on 1-1, but I still really like this game. Hopefully I can manage to avoid getting toasted by the dragon for my third time on that damn bridge.

bread's done
Back