Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

I think I'm 139, so you need to get to 114. Just be a blue phanton. If you die as a blue phantom, you don't lose souls (unless it's at the hand of a black phantom). That's how I got from the 90s to the 120s.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I think I'm 139, so you need to get to 114. Just be a blue phanton. If you die as a blue phantom, you don't lose souls (unless it's at the hand of a black phantom). That's how I got from the 90s to the 120s.[/QUOTE]

You mean assist people? I keep trying to do that and no one ever summons me. I figured I was too high a level to get in anyone's game - but if you did it from 90 to 120 then I should be able to.

I'll try right now!

[quote name='io'] Then maybe I'll take the shortcut through 2-2 and take on Flamelurker, though I'm not looking forward to him being toughened up. He was hard enough the first time. Maybe I'll try the "get him caught up in the bones" trick, though that ends up being harder than it sounds (because he's chasing you all over as you are trying to figure out where that is).[/QUOTE]

My trick on him was to run up the stairs across the room where the next fog was... he usually can't get passed the debris/stairs and I just soul arrow him. I have done this twice with no issue. ChibiJosh tried this though and got hammered. It is important to not hit him too quickly, cause that makes him mad and he rushes/jumps up the debris covered steps at that point. So, just a slow and steady ping from soul arrow and he is a sucker... in my game at least. :lol:

The real trick for flamelurker (and every boss) is to have a blue phantom to distract them while you hammer them with magic from a distance.

on my forth level 90+ character now and just can't seem to find a satisfying build. my blueblood sword build has been the most fun, but none of my character feel like they are as strong as they should be for their levels. also, every time i start playing, i immediately lose motivation when i consider why am i bothering to continue grinding souls when more of the same awaits me in future playthroughs.

once you beat the game what keep you guys going in ng+ runs? its not like leveling up will make you any stronger in pvp since you'll still have to fight people in your level group.

[quote name='crystalklear64'] my blueblood sword build has been the most fun[/QUOTE]

If you still have this build and are close enough to me in levels, are you opposed to letting me hold your sword? :D

I'm probably starting to wind down on my play. I may start a brand new character in the future or would play to jump into other people's games to help. But I have already put so much in, need to play a few other things too! :lol:

As of this posting, IRHari and I are SL 605 lol. We've been grinding the glitch for about four hours now, but his net just dropped or something. If he's able to get back on, we'll be 712 tonight. I'm pretty excited to see how much of a difference this will make on enemies and bosses, since defenses will be really high. Will be interesting to see what kind of drops we get with 99 luck, too.

So I beat the Adjuticator tonight in NG+. I got killed twice but ended up recovering my souls both times. They were both just mistakes. One time I was trying to heal without getting far enough behind him and he got me during the healing animation. Blah... Anyway, since you have to go through all of 4-1 each time and I was able to recover everything the good news is I got 180,000 souls out of the adventure ;). (Though that is only 2 1/2 levels where I'm at right now).

I'm sitting outside Flamelurker right now, waiting to go in.

I also took care of the Spider (got killed there from being careless too) and Fool's Idol. Right after I beat Fool's Idol I went up via the gargoles and grabbed the demon's soul from the archstone. Then I was talking to my son for a few seconds and then went back to the archstone to leave. But it wouldn't let me leave - said some nonsense about not being able to go back to the Nexus in multiplayer. I was, like, WTF!? I kept trying it and it said the same thing. Then, finally, about 30 seconds later it said I was being invaded! This was the first time except for once when I had jumped off a cliff and got invaded as I was falling (I hope that douche didn't get a win from that!).

So now it was on. But I didn't know how it worked, really. Where do you spawn when you invade? Of course I was right by the archstone. So I was deciding what to do and then there comes this black phantom right down the pathway leading from the archstone (so I have no idea where he actually spawned). He had tons of armor and a big-ass sword but no shield. I ran up and nailed him with my winged moon spear +5 and my son said he was almost dead (I was concentrating too much on his possible attack to even notice his health). Then he ran off past the archstone to the spiral stairs (this is beginning of 4-2 remember) and healed behind an obstacle I couldn't poke through. So then he came back out at full health and finally got off a huge overheaded swing which took 90% of my health and knocked me down. I rolled backwards just after getting up and he missed with his killing strike. Then I poked him a few times and even though I had almost no health he backed up, I guess, to heal. Then he fell down the void behind the archstone (where the gargoyles carry you up). I win ;). I really had him down to just one more hit though on the initial melee. I wish I had finished him off then.

So, like, then I got nothing - jack squat - for beating him. WTF? I guess my CT would have gone up but it is pure white anyway.

[quote name='Saint Noir']My trick on him was to run up the stairs across the room where the next fog was... he usually can't get passed the debris/stairs and I just soul arrow him. I have done this twice with no issue. ChibiJosh tried this though and got hammered. It is important to not hit him too quickly, cause that makes him mad and he rushes/jumps up the debris covered steps at that point. So, just a slow and steady ping from soul arrow and he is a sucker... in my game at least. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I wish I had seen this before I went back up to fight Flamelurker. I went down there about 5 times (thank god for the shortcut or I'd have gone insane) and got pummeled. I didn't have nearly this much trouble with him the first time around. I had him down to 25% or so on 3 or 4 of those attempts but once he goes aggro he just pounds on me. I even tried using the brushwood armor set but it didn't seem to make much difference. One time I was about to win and the thing that is the cause of more deaths than I can remember did me in. I've lost track of how many times the lock on won't pick up an enemy RIGHT NEXT to you. With flamelurker there's no excuse for it not to (for example sometimes it locks on other enemies further away). I was cornered by him with the camera flailing wildly so I tried to lock on so I could keep my shield up between me and him, and then try to back out sideways. Well, since it didn't lock I ended up turning around and that was the end of me.

But maybe I'll try it again by going up the stairs. One time I did have him locked up on the dragon bones but once he went aggro at 25% health he broke out and came after me big time.

Then I went to 3-2 to try to get to Maneater and slogged my way all through there with little trouble and right before the second tower I got surprise attacked by one of the gargoyles that shoots arrows (there is one floating off to the right past the crystal gecko in the part after the swamp). That just nicked me. But the problem was I turned around ran back and ran off the edge :bomb:. I had spent so much time getting through there too... I had an interesting drop, though: got a pure mercurystone off one of the spider things. And that world is definitely near pure white because the bridge was up on top of the first chain tower. I've never gotten a pure stone off a regular enemy before (only the geckos).

Oh well... Chibi, I'm at 107 now. I'm getting there and would have been so much closer if I hadn't screwed that up.

IO, Just make sure you are up the stairs and hug the side with the debris (right side if facing stairs). If he follows you up, roll off the stairs and circle around and back up until he catches where he can't get up. And remember to hit him slowly.

[quote name='Jodou']As of this posting, IRHari and I are SL 605 lol. We've been grinding the glitch for about four hours now, but his net just dropped or something. If he's able to get back on, we'll be 712 tonight. I'm pretty excited to see how much of a difference this will make on enemies and bosses, since defenses will be really high. Will be interesting to see what kind of drops we get with 99 luck, too.[/QUOTE]

Now you need to go hunt down the bastards that have like 29 deaths and show them what experience is, since they really havent played the game!

Yep Jodou's right, my internet had a myocardial infarction or something. Anyway, obviously its working now.

gunm, you need to at least have soulsucker, so you pretty much have to be in NG+. Once you are though you can start anywhere at any time. Both Jodou and I started at around Level 220, and at that level we both weren't seeing many blue soul signs or red signs, so theres pretty much a little to no chance of getting invaded.

If you're trying to do it with someone immediately after starting NG+ (guessing around level 100), you might want to do it in an obscure area so no one can find you if you get invaded.

[quote name='gunm']What's a good level to do the glitch? I'm curious just how uber that is during a regular NG run at that level, lol.[/QUOTE]
We've just been using 2-1 since it's by far the safest with zero chance of enemies interrupting. Once you're past the 250-300 level mark, you don't have to worry about being invaded either. Actually, not sure if you can even be invaded while dueling.

[quote name='Snake2715']Now you need to go hunt down the bastards that have like 29 deaths and show them what experience is, since they really havent played the game![/QUOTE]
We've killed like 2-3 invaders since we started toying around with the glitch, just testing it and whatnot. My favorite was when I had just summoned him in 1-4 and a dude spawned directly in front of him. The guy shit his pants, ran into the archers, got hit and we both stabbed him in the back.

BTW, you need to have cleared the game twice before attempting this because you need both soulsucker and a red eye stone.

[quote name='IRHari']Jodou are you at work? I'm off today (G-Man). Just lemme know when you wanna get back on and finish this.[/QUOTE]
Happy Vets day, mate! I'm stuck at work, so it will have to be later. Good thing I have ninja reflexes and was able to quit after you dropped last night, so I'm still at 604. You probably weren't saved either, so we'll just pick up where we left off.

Yeah it was weird, it said session ended and I didn't know what could've caused that. Then it logged me out of PSN, I couldn't access websites, and I knew what had happened.

It did save for me cause I wound up going back to the Nexus not realizing what happened, so just let me know how many you have and I'll get up to that point. Just get on vent when you can and we'll coordinate from there.

It's like an unholy combination of the blue and black phantoms. You basically put down a soul sign for someone to summon you as a black phantom

So wait, it means that someone thinks they are summoning help but end up being invaded with a hostile instead?

[quote name='io']What does the red eye stone do? You get that from the evil ending, right?[/QUOTE]
Red eye stone is for dueling, but for some reason you're still summoned with all the negative effects of a black phantom. Pretty shoddy dueling system. You get it from killing the black maiden at the end of the game.

It's like you're inviting them to join your game as a hostile phantom. Basically a consensual duel. If you're going with a friend he'll be able to attack enemies and enemies won't attack him, and you'll get the soul reward. Might be really good in pure black WT to kill black phantoms & soul farm.

I finally decided to open up my Deluxe copy last night, though I didn't play. I ended up reading through the guide some. I'm trying to decide what kind of class to start as. I'm wanting a character with some kind of long distance attack, which means either a bow or a magic attack.

^^^ Royalty, hand down. It will make the first level so much less painful. You can always modify it later when you level up to take on other styles. First thing you do when you can get back to the Nexus is ditch the crappy starter shield and get a heater shield from the merchant there. I forget what I did for a weapon before I got a hold of the winged spear. But you can get that pretty early on with a suicide run (in 1-2, where the dragon breathes fire just run out and grab the loot. You will get killed but you keep the item - since you can start at the 1-2 archstone and get there without too much trouble it is well worth it). You will want to level up your strength a bit beforehand to be able to handle the spear.

Mine is now pretty much a hybrid but with fairly low vitality/endurance. I'm just around level 30 in strength/dexterity/magic. I can melee with the spear/shield combo. And I find that I am using my bow a lot more than my magic at this point but I've been levelling my magic power anyway since it adds to the moon winged spear +5 attack (so it helps in melee, strangely enough). After putting a few levels in dexterity and magic I am finally able to one-shot the miners again in NG+... I was one-shotting them long ago in the regular game but the increased difficulty in NG+ set me way back. I need to get my dexterity even higher so I can go back to one-shotting crystal geckos too. Plus of course every bit helps in softening up enemies before they rush you (in particular the skeletons on 4-1), or at least it will help save time in hit-and-run sections (black katana skeletons, octopus men, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agree with going with Royalty. Ranged attacks make this game A LOT less frustrating. I couldn't even imagine trying to take on a lot of these enemies via melee.

[quote name='SynGamer']I couldn't even imagine trying to take on a lot of these enemies via melee.[/QUOTE]
That, is why you fail. ;)

So we're 712 now and while my damage really hasn't increased all that much, stuff hits me for so little it's hilarious. With warding on, it's a joke as well. It's like cutting down a tree with a herring!

Be sure to check the pantheon later this week for your favorite heroes.

4-2 is evil. I keep falling off the ledge killing the second reaper. Then I finally make it past and I get stabbed in the back getting a treasure.

[quote name='happy']4-2 is evil. I keep falling off the ledge killing the second reaper. Then I finally make it past and I get stabbed in the back getting a treasure.[/QUOTE]

Ah, yeah, there are two places that invisible little assassins show up and backstab you if you aren't careful. The first place is right where the second reaper is standing. I killed him with arrows from above and then got killed by the surprise attack the first time I went in there. The second place is at the bottom of the stairs right before you go outside (there's a treasure back off around some vases and they will get you if you go right for that). There are two of them there. You can hear them scampering around right before they attack you. On my subsequent trips I just ran around in circles with my shield up until I bumped in to them. They are easy to kill once you spot them.

Jodou - Ah, warding, I always forget warding. Do you think that would help against Flamelurker or does his fire damage get past that anyway?

Luckily I beat the boss of 4-2 on my first try. Pretty easy since you can retreat and heal up/cast warding again whenever it gets close.

Only 4-3 and the boss of 1-4 left...

[quote name='io']Jodou - Ah, warding, I always forget warding. Do you think that would help against Flamelurker or does his fire damage get past that anyway?[/QUOTE]
All his attacks are fire based, but the melee portion of his damage would be mitigated for one of his attacks. I just get him stuck on the bones so I'm not wasting time playing cat and mouse with him. Keep in mind that unless you're using a large brushwood shield, he will still do damage through your blocks. He's just an annoying boss all around, so I'd just cheese him if you can.

Yeah, I ended up beating him using the method I think Saint Noir mentioned - going up to the top of the stairs and staying on the left side (as you face out). That worked like a charm as long as I laid off hitting him too hard. I had tried the Brushwood stuff the other day but it is all way too heavy and it impeded my rolling which I rely on quite a bit. The Purple Flame Shield + 10 does a decent enough job blocking most of his stuff. It's just when he hits multiple times it was a problem. I also finally got into a blue phantom session against him afterwards and the guy summoned two of us. Flamelurker was no match for 3 level 100 chars. I assume that was at least NG+ for that guy if not beyond.

I played a marathon session tonight and got several levels (Chibi - I'll have to check but I must be close if not there already. Maybe we can try something Friday night). I also beat Flamelurker, Dragon God, Tower Knight, freed Yuria, and went back to get Leechmonger finally. It was a bit easier with the 10 levels I gained since the other day. Not that Leechmonger was hard at all (just nailed him with arrows) but getting there was giving me fits last night.

The one that I thought would be easy because he was the first time was the Old Hero (4-2). Of course it is a pain getting there and I can't kill off the third reaper nearly as easily as I could before. I was using God's Wrath on him before and that worked this time except I needed to go through about 8 old spice to take him out. And now I'm pretty much out of spices so I had to stop. I got through the Old Hero twice and didn't really get very far on him. I'm using the thief's ring and arrows but both times as I was running from one end to the other he timed his swing perfectly (or I mistimed my run) such that he nailed me right as I ran past. Dammit... I think I only had to run back and forth like once in the original playthrough. I lost about 100,000 souls the last time and finally gave up.

Then I decided to free Yuria and give Soulsucker a try. Man, that is awesome. So far I've only used it on the blue-eye knights at the end of 1-2 (backtracking from the Tower Knight archstone). I had no idea you could sneak up so close to enemies! I would have done it before for backstabbings had I known that! So, I was getting about 12K for the little run there and that helped me get a few more levels (though I need over 80K per level now). So are there any better places to do this? Can you do it to the 3 red knights at the end of 4-3 once you beat Penetrator? And is it possible to use on the False King?

I'm not looking forward to Penetrator, though, that's for sure. He was a tough one when I had Biorr helping me and I hear Biorr will get destroyed in the NG+. Hopefully I can survive to collect his items because I lost them last time when he got killed by the blue dragon and then I got killed trying to inch too close to the fire for a better shot. And also Maneater might be a pain, though hopefully the method of taking the first one out still works as that made it much easier.

Other than that, I don't see too many of the other bosses being too tough even in NG+. Though I thought that about Old Hero too... I could see Garl being a pain in 4-3 I guess.

[quote name='io']
Can you do it to the 3 red knights at the end of 4-3 once you beat Penetrator?[/quote]

Yes. This's what the guide suggests you do for leveling in NG+. Apparently you get like 52k+ per skele.

[quote name='io']Yeah, I ended up beating him using the method I think Saint Noir mentioned - going up to the top of the stairs and staying on the left side (as you face out). That worked like a charm as long as I laid off hitting him too hard.

I could see Garl being a pain in 4-3 I guess.[/QUOTE]

Glad it worked for someone else! :lol:

As for Garl in 5-3, just
stay up top and shoot arrows at the lady in the back. You just have to damage her faster than she can heal, which is not very fast at all.

[quote name='io']
The one that I thought would be easy because he was the first time was the Old Hero (4-2). Of course it is a pain getting there and I can't kill off the third reaper nearly as easily as I could before. I was using God's Wrath on him before and that worked this time except I needed to go through about 8 old spice to take him out. And now I'm pretty much out of spices so I had to stop. I got through the Old Hero twice and didn't really get very far on him. I'm using the thief's ring and arrows but both times as I was running from one end to the other he timed his swing perfectly (or I mistimed my run) such that he nailed me right as I ran past. Dammit... I think I only had to run back and forth like once in the original playthrough. I lost about 100,000 souls the last time and finally gave up.
[/QUOTE]

I beat him the second time just standing behind the first pillar to the right and hitting him with an arrow every 10 seconds and ducking behind the pillar. As long as you don't get overzealous and hit him too often, he'll just walk back and forth, scream, but never come after you. Then you don't have to risk running back and forth (which I did the first time but didn't feel like risking this time). It's boring, but it gets the job done. :)

Yeah Jodou I'd bite on that too if it was brought stateside.

Both Jodou and I feel that Demon's Souls is the best PS3 exclusive game out on the console right now.

I don't have a lot of free time to straight up game, but DS is one of those rare titles I think about even when I'm not playing. Just for that, I'd give it my personal GOTY, too. It's definitely up there w/U2 and MW2 for me.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Glad it worked for someone else! :lol:

As for Garl in 5-3, just
stay up top and shoot arrows at the lady in the back. You just have to damage her faster than she can heal, which is not very fast at all.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, you mean at the overlook where it always says "Coward" on the ground ;).

I'll give Garl a shot first as that is an easy one to get to. If he's too tough I'll go the other route. I still have to slog through 4-2, first, though. I'm not looking forward to that, though knowing the route to take should make it much easier than in my first game where I ran all over the swamp and got ambushed by that black phantom a few times. I need to make sure I don't scare off that first gecko this time too - I didn't even know he was there and always chased him off by accident before I had the bridge down.

There was also a total surprise gecko in 1-3 to the right of where the soldiers roll the 3 fireballs down at you. I guess because I always run up there and fight those guys and the gecko is off to the right and behind a bit that I never even saw him. For whatever reason, though, I caught him last night. Also, 1-3 is a cakewalk when you don't have to deal with the 2 black phantom ministers surrounding you on that upper part ;) (which happens in even slightly black WT). This playthrough I'm not lowering WT at all yet.

As for 5-3,
she doesn't continuously heal. She heals for a little bit at predetermined intervals. Say, after you damage her for 400, she'll heal for 150 and then when you damage her for another 400, she'll heal for another 150. The numbers are made up, but that's the basic idea. Because the first time I did that, I didn't kill all her little minions before attacking her. So, I had to stop attacking her for a little bit to dispose of them, and she didn't heal at all during that time.

[quote name='io']Ah, you mean at the overlook where it always says "Coward" on the ground ;).[/QUOTE]

Nonsense! I am killing a demon... not some poor puppet! ;)

Even though my guide is ok right now, I might just do this anyway so I can keep the new guide pristine and actually use the old one.

I'm on NG++, and have used the guide extensively. About 1/4 of the cover has rubbed off, and the spine is almost completely white.

Needless to say, my envelope is ready to go out tomorrow.

Yeah, I have been very careful to be gentle with my guide - even going so far as to xerox the parts that I use frequently. And yet the spine on mine is still getting white on the edges. I will definitely be replacing it. The plus is that I can then just use my coverless guide without worrying about it any more and then put the new one I get away with the game when I'm done with it (I'm sure I'll be done with the game before the new guide arrives).

Edit - just printed my form. By the way, I love the half-assed cutting job the guy in the demo pictures did on the address label :lol:.

STEP5A.JPG

bread's done
Back