Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='Invin']My world never turned pure black this week despite logging in/out at least 10 times and going back to the Nexus. I finally tried the get killed in body form thing. Turns out, each of my worlds were just 1 away from pure black. Did anyone else experience the same thing? Overall,I'm pretty pleased about getting all of the pure white items and most of the pure black though.[/QUOTE]

Just like you, I had to kill my body form to get it to PBWT... then I was finally able to kill the last two BPs (Rydell and Selene) along with the remaining Primeval Demons (I thought they'd be "tougher").

the cursed weapon talk made me wanna try DBS with Light vs Cursed, so i did. you're right about it being tough to use in PvP. the attack animations are much different than most weapons. hopefully i'll get used to it soon because right now i'm sucking with it.

rothgar24 said:
That's brutal. It's the double fucking whammy of getting invaded and all your equipment gets broken as well. I think it happened to me 3 times in one day early in the game ... invaders had a scraping spear or something. I don't have any good advice, but I feel your pain.

I noticed that people are playing offline or in soul form during the PBWT event because invaders are going for people's primeval demon's before killing the host. Same goes for geckos at times, but that is more frequent at the 2-2 gecko pit and the 4-2 gecko.

Mr Unoriginal said:
On another topic, is there any good place to really farm souls? As I'm going through and beating the demons, I am probably only getting about 10k souls per section. Should I be grinding?

There are always the blue knights in 1-1 and 1-2 (near the Tower Knight archstone) for a decent amount of souls, potential of a dropped knight's shield, and good herbs. I love 4-1 for getting a good portion of souls. Go to the dredgling merchant in 1-2 and buy a Club for 500 souls. Then use that along with a shield against the skeletons in 4-1. You'll be getting a higher than average soul return than in other worlds.

Last edited by a moderator:
So here's some more stupid questions:

We are in a Black World event now right? Does that make everything harder? I felt like I was doing better in world 3 when I first started, when I went back today it seemed much worse.

Also, I don't know if this is a glitch, but I beat the Tower Knight in 1-2. Now when I go to the giant door, it says I can't pass until I beat the Arch Demon. Am I missing something?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']
We are in a Black World event now right? Does that make everything harder? I felt like I was doing better in world 3 when I first started, when I went back today it seemed much worse.
[/QUOTE]

Black World Tendency increases the health and damage of each enemy in the world your in. It also introduces Black Phantom versions of the enemies too. On the plus side, your given more souls and given better drops for the enemies that you kill. In case your wondering, White World Tendency is the opposite: enemies are easier, less souls per kill, terrible drops, and no black phantoms.

Sorry, I haven't played this since it came out and I'm sure the question has already been asked but is there an option to block people from joining your game? I've been wanting to return to this game but reading all of these negative experiences just makes me not want to.

[quote name='Supplice']Black World Tendency increases the health and damage of each enemy in the world your in. It also introduces Black Phantom versions of the enemies too. On the plus side, your given more souls and given better drops for the enemies that you kill. In case your wondering, White World Tendency is the opposite: enemies are easier, less souls per kill, terrible drops, and no black phantoms.[/QUOTE]

So once this event is over, my game should be easier?

[quote name='woodcan']Sorry, I haven't played this since it came out and I'm sure the question has already been asked but is there an option to block people from joining your game? I've been wanting to return to this game but reading all of these negative experiences just makes me not want to.[/QUOTE]

play offline

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']So once this event is over, my game should be easier?[/QUOTE]

I believe so since your playing online. Once your playing online after the event is over, your World Tendency will shift based on the server's World Tendency (average World Tendency of all players). I am not sure, but I forgot if the server's World tendency is reset after an event which means everyone will get pushed towards neutral, otherwise it may take a day depending on the World Tendency average. Anyway, it won't be long before it nears pure white as usual.

[quote name='woodcan']Sorry, I haven't played this since it came out and I'm sure the question has already been asked but is there an option to block people from joining your game? I've been wanting to return to this game but reading all of these negative experiences just makes me not want to.[/QUOTE]

I think it's a situation with negatives but also big positives (one being the ability to summon for help).

I was about ready to give up on the game last night after being invaded and dying. Then getting killed a few straight times in new game+ pure black Tower of Latria (it seemed like anything that hit me killed me). I wasn't sure it was worth beating on the new game + after already finishing on normal.

Then, I loaded up my strength build new game+ with my dragon bone smasher +5 (Thanks to Koggit for the heads up on where to get it during the white tendency).

In 1.1 right before the phalanx battle, I get invaded. I use warding, add some white stuff to the smasher, equip the graverobber ring and charge the invader. I smote him in two hits ... just probably overwhelmed him because the first hit knocked him down and the second was while he was trying to get up.

I fist pumped the air a few times, added some turpentine to my sword, and dominated the phalanx. Point being that the boss fight would have been enjoyable but the invader made it much more rewarding.

That being said, I would probably be posting the opposite sentiment right now, if I had been killed. Apologies for the long post but this game has been owning my ps3 for a few weeks.

I'm returning Demon's Souls to GameFly today. After about 2 months of renting it. Finals are approaching and I just don't have the self-control to not play this game when it's in my apartment, this must be done. This must be done. I told myself I wouldn't cry...

[quote name='Koggit']I'm returning Demon's Souls to GameFly today. After about 2 months of renting it. Finals are approaching and I just don't have the self-control to not play this game when it's in my apartment, this must be done. This must be done. I told myself I wouldn't cry...[/QUOTE]
Consider yourself lucky. I wish I didn't have a permanent copy. My grades are going to suffer :cry:

[quote name='Supplice']I believe so since your playing online. Once your playing online after the event is over, your World Tendency will shift based on the server's World Tendency (average World Tendency of all players). I am not sure, but I forgot if the server's World tendency is reset after an event which means everyone will get pushed towards neutral, otherwise it may take a day depending on the World Tendency average. Anyway, it won't be long before it nears pure white as usual.[/QUOTE]

hopefully this is true, because I keep getting fucking killed by the
2 Black Phantom Fat Ministers
on the narrow bridge at the top of 1-3.

[quote name='mang9432']hopefully this is true, because I keep getting fucking killed by the
2 Black Phantom Fat Ministers
on the narrow bridge at the top of 1-3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I can't even play level 4-1 because there is a Black Phantom right at the start.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yeah I can't even play level 4-1 because there is a Black Phantom right at the start.[/QUOTE]

The way i got past them is just using thief ring to be able to lure them out 1 at a time, cause they are a pain when the phantom and regular skeleton attack you at once. However there are 2 other situations where there are annoying black phantoms in 4-1, but you can generally use the same thief ring strategy for them.

Problem is that Satsuki BP hunts you down once you get within range. I loved invading 4-1 and having him as backup though.

[quote name='orbit18']dang i thought i was gunna get some help with the Maneater. :( anyone near soul level 35 minds helping me later tonight?[/QUOTE]

Run up the stairs to the big fire. Try and keep the fire between you and Maneater until the time is right and then run up and wail on him a little. Repeat. Patience is the key here.

If you have Firestorm it's much easier, so if you're a magic-user you might want to do world 2 and 1-3 first.

that strat wont work well with a sl 35 unless he's using hyper mode. once the second one arrives, he'll get knocked off or killed by spells at least 8 times till he shuts his system off

That's just a general strat. Not sure what a better way to do it is? Other than killing the first with a bow through the fog door. Is there a better strat for melee?

When I fought him with my melee character, I did exactly what backlash said with the fire in the middle. I also had poison cloud which can drain him while you use the bowl of fire for defense.

I hate the maneater.

I usually go into hyper mode to take out the first one and then take my time with the second one. You can dodge his charge/pounce attack by rolling towards him.

[quote name='Supplice']I usually go into hyper mode to take out the first one and then take my time with the second one. You can dodge his charge/pounce attack by rolling towards him.[/QUOTE]

Why not just get a bow and shoot the first one down before you go through the fog? That's the easiest way to avoid dealing with 2 of them. 1 maneater = simple, 2 = pain in the .....

I googled hyper mode but I'm still not sure what it entails. Is it just running your energy down to 30% and attacking with the rat's ring that boosts attack?

now, it means Clever Rat's Ring + Morion Blade (usually in off-hand, while two-handing something else) -- combined, they'll more than double your damage.

it used to be built into the game where any time anyone had low health they did extra damage (no items required), but it was patched (from what i understand, it was overpowered, as everyone stayed

[quote name='jmbreci']Why not just get a bow and shoot the first one down before you go through the fog? That's the easiest way to avoid dealing with 2 of them. 1 maneater = simple, 2 = pain in the .....[/QUOTE]

Because with hyper mode, I can crush the first Man-Eater around 5 seconds as opposed to the 5 minute fog arrow method (unless you have a pure dex build). Here is a video of someone at Soul Level 1 using Hyper mode against Maneaters. I posted this before, but might as well again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR84ms7uiaU

Had my first real experience with the multiplayer last night. Prior to this the only thing I had done was get invaded while I was stupidly sitting in the beginning of 2-2 in body form screwing around with my inventory and got backstabbed.

I had done multiple runs through 1-3 and 4-1 over the weekend without beating either boss, and since I knew both levels pretty well I decided to go help someone else out. In 1-4, I went Blue Phantom, and beat the boss with the dude. Revived, and summoned 2 Blue Phantoms. Halfway through got invaded. I stabbed him with my baby's nail, plauged him, and his health started dropping. He charged me and my Blue Phantom started wailing on him. I panicked cause I was on the narrow stairs leading up to where the 3 archers are across and just backed up with my shield up. Just as his health dropped to zero he got one last hit in after my guard broke and we both died at the same time. Went through as a blue phantom again, revived, summoned and got invaded again, kicked the Black Phantom's ass and beat the level. Had so much fun that I suicided in the nexus so I could run through 4-1 as a Blue Phantom before I summoned. Went pretty similarly, except that I didn't get invaded at all as the host on 4-1.

People put too much emphasis on the negatives of the online aspect of the game. Sure, when you are in body form, it's scary as hell to get invaded, but it really stacks the odds in your favor if you have a Blue Phantom or 2 rolling with you. Honestly I think that it probably wouldn't be as fun if you didn't have the possibility of getting invaded while you were running through with Blue Phantoms. It probably would almost feel too easy. I had a blast playing through those 2 levels last night, and can't wait to play more. I can see why people get addicted to this game.

I thought the multiplayer was the best part of this game, it was just missing chat options. sure, you could argue a human couldn't talk to a spirit, blah blah blah.....shut up

[quote name='kurrptsenate']I thought the multiplayer was the best part of this game, it was just missing chat options. sure, you could argue a human couldn't talk to a spirit, blah blah blah.....shut up[/QUOTE]

yeah chat and friends list integration would have been great. damn japanese developers.

[quote name='Koggit']now, it means Clever Rat's Ring + Morion Blade (usually in off-hand, while two-handing something else) -- combined, they'll more than double your damage. [/QUOTE]

I think my summon help on 2.1 today was using this strategy with a bow. I didn't notice if the Morion blade was on her back, but she just ran around glowing with purposely low health. She just fucking cleared rooms with heavy bow attack damage, as I jogged along behind. Maybe she just had the ring on, but either way it was impressive.

P.S. For those first playthrough players looking to clear 4.1 now that the tendency has shifted back to neutral. Make sure you pick up the graverobber's ring. It will make dealing with invaders easier.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']I thought the multiplayer was the best part of this game, it was just missing chat options. sure, you could argue a human couldn't talk to a spirit, blah blah blah.....shut up[/QUOTE]

I think chat would have ruined it.

[quote name='rothgar24']I think my summon help on 2.1 today was using this strategy with a bow. I didn't notice if the Morion blade was on her back, but she just ran around glowing with purposely low energy. She just fucking cleared rooms with heavy bow attack damage, as I jogged along behind. Maybe she just had the ring on, but either way it was impressive.

P.S. For those first playthrough players looking to clear 4.1 now that the tendency has shifted back to neutral. Make sure you pick up the graverobber's ring. It will make dealing with invaders easier.[/QUOTE]

It's especially good with magic too -- when I still had the game, I'd always use hyper mode in 1-2 to kill the red dragon for the host. Instead of 100 arrows, 4 Soul Rays take him down.

[quote name='Saint Noir']I think chat would have ruined it.[/QUOTE]

as long as there was a mute option i don't think it would have ruined it. I do agree that there is something nice about a silent player, when playing with randoms. If you are trying to play with a friend though, chat might be nice. I certainly don't think it's a big detriment to the game.

orbit18 said:
dang i thought i was gunna get some help with the Maneater. :( anyone near soul level 35 minds helping me later tonight?
I think I have an SL 25 character that can help you out if still needed.

@MP Chat of the discussion.

I think chat would ruin it because as an invader, its great that the blues do not talk to the host. The fear and suspense is there once they receive the invasion message, and it would be further progressed once they receive the message that "the phantom so-so has been slain." With voip, that would ruin the atmosphere. During the times I do coop with my friends, its really not that big of a deal to have anyway.

Had someone run me through 1-2 to kill that oversized butthole, then jumped over to the side of 1-1 and got the brushwood set. That plus the guillotine axe has really pushed me forward.

I recently played through several levels in NG+ with someone while talking via Skype, and it is a TOTALLY different game. This game has so much atmosphere, and having chat while playing co-op totally removes that. I'm very glad I played through NG by myself (had help from a blue on one level only, and it was a stranger so no chat). That said, playing with a friend and chatting is also fun; it's just not Demon's Souls the way it was designed and meant to be played IMO.

Also, it definitely made dealing with invaders and setting up ambushes easier - you're right about that. :)

my brother and I did some pretty epic ambush setups using google chat while playing. I had my brother hide down the alley at the beginning of 1-3 right where you kill all the red phantom NPCs. I stayed in the middle, awaiting the invader. as he approached, i circled clockwise as to expose his back to my brother who was waiting in the wings. Before he knew what was going on, he was gone lol

hyper mode is when you use the one rat's ring and the morion blade that gives you a considerable damage boost when your health is below 30%.

you use something like makato or cursed weapon to lower your health. when its engaged you will see a rat icon in the top left of the screen. to make it even easier, as if it weren't easy enough, use a miracle like second chance, where, if you die, you are immediately resurrected back to 50% health.

you would not believe how quick shit dies in this game. it takes some practice as your mistakes will cost you dearly, but owning black phantoms was never faster, or bosses

I went back to this game last night and quickly realized why it had been so long since I had played. I'm at a complete stand still with this game. I'm done with 1 and 2 but I can't get up the damn stairs in 3-3, I can't get through the swamp in 5-2, and I can't get down the stairs in the last part of 4-2. I've gone through the beginning part of 4-2 MANY times to harvest some souls, but I just feel like I'm stuck and won't ever progress any further. I think I'm about a soul level 71. Did anyone else have any problems with these areas? Do you have any tips? I've watched youtube videos and I just can't do what they are doing, not sure if I need to level up more or what the deal is.

[quote name='orbit18']Damn I wonder where you all are getting the good weapons. I'm using a bastard sword +4 and just keep upgrading it.[/QUOTE]

get a mirdan hammer from the swamp in 5-2. its a noob weapon, but man, it owns. especially if you forge the weapon to coincide with how you built your character.

[quote name='FrankySox']I went back to this game last night and quickly realized why it had been so long since I had played. I'm at a complete stand still with this game. I'm done with 1 and 2 but I can't get up the damn stairs in 3-3, I can't get through the swamp in 5-2, and I can't get down the stairs in the last part of 4-2. I've gone through the beginning part of 4-2 MANY times to harvest some souls, but I just feel like I'm stuck and won't ever progress any further. I think I'm about a soul level 71. Did anyone else have any problems with these areas? Do you have any tips? I've watched youtube videos and I just can't do what they are doing, not sure if I need to level up more or what the deal is.[/QUOTE]

the parts you mentioned are the harder parts of those particular levels.

in 3-3, you have to learn when the dragon sees you, and when its ok to move. takes a bunch of trial and error, but I found hitting the objects once, then running back to cover works for me (granted you know when to move)

in 5-2, it helps to have the NPC's armor from 3-2 (guy in the cage) it has great poison resistance. You really only need to be in the swamp long enough to find the fog door and progress you to the next part of the level. hang nears the path at the beginning that has a couple of mini islands. shouldnt be too hard

in 4-2, i think you are probably talking about the giant sword skeletons....no? arrows arrows arrows. If you are talking about the ghosts that shoot a ray of crap at you, roll dodge is your friend, but you'll probably wind up getting hit anyway. Try using second chance or know when to heal. should help a bunch

[quote name='FrankySox']I'm done with 1 and 2 but I can't get up the damn stairs in 3-3, I can't get through the swamp in 5-2, and I can't get down the stairs in the last part of 4-2.[/QUOTE]
3-3 is actually very easy, since you can exploit the walls of the stairwell. Just bait the octomen into attacking (their spells will always fizzle if you're not directly in front of them) and back off, they will chase you and a heavy attack will stun them while they're running. Rinse repeat, or you can just wait til their back is turned to noob them with stealth attacks.

5-2 you can actually just run past everything. Just cast warding and sprint past enemies until they give up chase. Rest and repeat. Once you're on the decks, just funnel enemies through breaks in the housing and mow them down. It's actually a really easy level TBH.

I also had some trouble with 4-2. I ended up just playing in body form and summoning a blue phantom to help me there. Arrows really help against the reapers and the skeletons as well.

bread's done
Back