Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

Well played for about an hour or so, still not 100% sure how the multiplayer works though the bloodstains and the messages are a nice feature for the single player part of it.. I'm only in the first castle area after getting to the nexus, still in ghost form or whatever and I keep getting killed by the V.I.P on the bridge. :(

What's so confusing is the exploring and how many enemies there can be in certain areas, played for about 3 hours and still haven't gotten to the first boss in 1-1. Still is pretty fun.

[quote name='Sinistar']Well played for about an hour or so, still not 100% sure how the multiplayer works though the bloodstains and the messages are a nice feature for the single player part of it.. I'm only in the first castle area after getting to the nexus, still in ghost form or whatever and I keep getting killed by the V.I.P on the bridge. :([/QUOTE]

He's optional, you can't even get into the door that's past him. Assuming you're talking about the guy with the red eyes.

You can lure him to the spiral staircase, and it's possible to get him to fall and die. Gives a large amount of souls early in game if you do.

[quote name='Sinistar']Well played for about an hour or so, still not 100% sure how the multiplayer works though the bloodstains and the messages are a nice feature for the single player part of it.. I'm only in the first castle area after getting to the nexus, still in ghost form or whatever and I keep getting killed by the V.I.P on the bridge. :([/QUOTE]

When in body form, when you see blue stains/stones (usually at beginning of a level) go up to them, and you can summon that person to help with your level.

When in ghost form, go into inventory, and use your blue eye stone. This will set it down for others to see, so put it at beginning of level in clear view. Then when someone touches it, you will be summoned to co-op in their game. Best thing about this is that you get souls while helping them, but if you die, you just pop back to your game, but get to keep the souls, unlike when you die in your game.

Read this: http://educatedsquirrel.com/2011/07/29/demons-souls-what-need-to-know/

Then use this as your bible: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/boletarian-palace

~S

I've been wanting to get into this game but I have too much other stuff going on. I would have preferred to play the single player first but looks like I don't have an option.

[quote name='IRHari']He's optional, you can't even get into the door that's past him. Assuming you're talking about the guy with the red eyes.

You can lure him to the spiral staircase, and it's possible to get him to fall and die. Gives a large amount of souls early in game if you do.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I ended up hitting him with like 8 of the soul arrows until he died.. but the lock on in this game sux.. I hate how you have to hit R3 all the time, why didn't they just make it auto lock on when you use the shield?

“While it comes at significant cost to us and although it has been over two years since the game revolutionized the notion of multiplayer and online functionality in an RPG,” commented Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales at ATLUS, “Our commitment to the game and the fans that turned it into an incredible success remains as strong as ever. While the reality is that one day the servers will ultimately close due to operation and maintenance costs, that day is not today, nor will it be this year. We’re excited to continue to support one of the most significant, influential games in recent memory into its third year, and we’re planning to hold more tendency events for our loyal, beloved fans. If you’ve been waiting to try Demon’s Souls or held off with concern that it was too late to join in, the truth is that there’s never been a better time to see what all the talk and awards are all about.” When asked if the fact that a Flamelurker had been spotted guarding the door to the server room had anything to do with the decision to extend the online functionality, Jabbari politely excused himself, muttering something about his mother calling him.

In addition to their continued commitment to the game’s unmatched online functionality, ATLUS also today revealed plans for Pure White and Pure Black World Tendency events for the holiday season, the details of which would be disclosed at a later date.
src

and just in case you want first hand confirmation:
demonssouls_extendedonlineinto2012_1b.jpg

I was planning on getting this game later, for cheap, but now I've decided not to bother with it at all. It's going to be ridiculously difficult and frustrating and that's not what I look for in my games. I enjoyed the challenge of Demon's Souls and loved its "mood"/setting (I platinumed it), but Dark Souls will make Demon's Souls look like a cakewalk. I play my games for fun, not for frustration. I think a lot of people who will get it will do so because they feel like they have something to prove.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit'] I think a lot of people who will get it will do so because they feel like they have something to prove.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people will get Dark Souls becuase they really enjoyed Demon's Souls. Why do you think this game will be less fun than the first one? Based on hype? Sheesh, it just came out in Japan and isn't even out in the US and you already know exactly what it will be like.

The question for me is should I pick up Demon Souls now or put that $20 towards Dark Souls collector's edition (same price as the regular edition) that comes out on October 4th?

[quote name='Backlash']I think a lot of people will get Dark Souls becuase they really enjoyed Demon's Souls. Why do you think this game will be less fun than the first one? Based on hype? Sheesh, it just came out in Japan and isn't even out in the US and you already know exactly what it will be like.[/QUOTE]

I came to my conclusions after reading that IGN article.

I just have a few questions about demon's souls. I just started playing it.

I died from a guy hitting me one time. The game reloaded and I had 0 souls (instead of 500 or something). I transported back to the nexus and quit. Will my body still be there next time I play or did I screw up by not running back to my body and touching it?

I can not seem to get into precision mode with my bow. I even unequipped my shield, but L1 doesn't do anything.- I think I just figured this one out. Do you have to hit triangle when you equip the bow to use 'both hands' and to get precision mode?

How do I level up my character. I found the blacksmith and the guy who holds stuff. I also talked to a woman one time and the blue guy. Is there anyone else in there?

[quote name='slowdive21']I just have a few questions about demon's souls. I just started playing it.

I died from a guy hitting me one time. The game reloaded and I had 0 souls (instead of 500 or something). I transported back to the nexus and quit. Will my body still be there next time I play or did I screw up by not running back to my body and touching it?

I can not seem to get into precision mode with my bow. I even unequipped my shield, but L1 doesn't do anything.- I think I just figured this one out. Do you have to hit triangle when you equip the bow to use 'both hands' and to get precision mode?

How do I level up my character. I found the blacksmith and the guy who holds stuff. I also talked to a woman one time and the blue guy. Is there anyone else in there?[/QUOTE]

It will be there the next time u get there, its a blood stain with a small aura flying on top.
Yes u need to use bow two hands to enter precision mode.
You can only lvl ur char after u kill the first boss, in Boletarian Palace.
Right now theres a PWWT(Pure White World Tendency) event untill the 17th of October, so the enemies have less hp and 'easier to kill'. U need to be online in the PSN to get the PWWT.
If you have problems, its better to restart and use a royalty class character. Magic does a lot of damage the the enemies in the first world. Then when u defeat the first boss, u can go an lvl up other stats so u can use a bow.

[quote name='Tavohl']It will be there the next time u get there, its a blood stain with a small aura flying on top.
Yes u need to use bow two hands to enter precision mode.
You can only lvl ur char after u kill the first boss, in Boletarian Palace.
Right now theres a PWWT(Pure White World Tendency) event untill the 17th of October, so the enemies have less hp and 'easier to kill'. U need to be online in the PSN to get the PWWT.
If you have problems, its better to restart and use a royalty class character. Magic does a lot of damage the the enemies in the first world. Then when u defeat the first boss, u can go an lvl up other stats so u can use a bow.[/QUOTE]

Update: The body was gone, probably because I exited the game. I played through and I seem to have to fight the skeleton thing that killed me or a knight in the other direction. I am stuck in soul mode and I repaired my weapons. I assume the knight is the easier enemy, but he keeps kicking killing me. I can understand why people get frustrated, since you have to go through the whole area with respawned enemies every time you die.

The controls are a little wonky as well. I usually play games slowly, so I don't mind having to walk around exploring, but the enemies are a little tough for the first level.

[quote name='slowdive21']Update: The body was gone, probably because I exited the game. I played through and I seem to have to fight the skeleton thing that killed me or a knight in the other direction. I am stuck in soul mode and I repaired my weapons. I assume the knight is the easier enemy, but he keeps kicking killing me. I can understand why people get frustrated, since you have to go through the whole area with respawned enemies every time you die.

The controls are a little wonky as well. I usually play games slowly, so I don't mind having to walk around exploring, but the enemies are a little tough for the first level.[/QUOTE]

The game is pretty tough at the beginning, but it gets easier as you level and get better weapons. I platinumed this game two years ago but I wanted to do another playthrough from scratch before I started Dark Souls (and this time, without cheesing any bosses or anything, just pure melee), and it was really hard at the beginning. Now though, I'm tearing through levels/bosses and I'm almost done with the game.

The first level probably is the toughest part of the game. I wouldn't go picking fights with enemies that have Red Faces. Remember to roll as well. It's very helpful.

I ended up getting Platinum on it very recently as well. I feel like I cheated a bit though by checking videos online of it early on. I even beat the Tutorial boss.
The second one though always gets you.

Hahaha, I'm such an asshole. I've been invading 1-4 while waitin for my friend to level up so I can play with him, and this one guy was fighting the Blue Dragon at the end, but he was just arrow spamming from under him, so it was taking forever, only 24 at a time. Anyways, he got him down to maybe 15-20% of his life and I ran up, backstabbed him, and then killed him, which means he's gonna have to do it all over again, whoops.

Haha, I just went down a level for being an idiot, that's what I get.

[quote name='slowdive21']Update: The body was gone, probably because I exited the game. I played through and I seem to have to fight the skeleton thing that killed me or a knight in the other direction. I am stuck in soul mode and I repaired my weapons. I assume the knight is the easier enemy, but he keeps kicking killing me. I can understand why people get frustrated, since you have to go through the whole area with respawned enemies every time you die.

The controls are a little wonky as well. I usually play games slowly, so I don't mind having to walk around exploring, but the enemies are a little tough for the first level.[/QUOTE]
The blood stain will not be at the exact spot you died, it will be at the point you were about 5-10 seconds before you die. IE, if you were to fall to your death from a cliff, your souls would not be where you went splat, they would be about 5-10 feet back from the ledge you fell off.

It's usually a good idea to grab your blood stain immediately so that you don't log on a day or two latter and forget where it was. If you die on your back to the bloodstain all those souls are lost forever.

So where are you currently stuck? you mention a knight so have you climbed the interior of a castle wall and just dodged a flaming boulder? If so, as soon as you exit that stair case turn around and walk away from the blue-eyed knight, down the tower spiral staircase to find an uber ring and open a shortcut.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']I was planning on getting this game later, for cheap, but now I've decided not to bother with it at all. It's going to be ridiculously difficult and frustrating and that's not what I look for in my games. I enjoyed the challenge of Demon's Souls and loved its "mood"/setting (I platinumed it), but Dark Souls will make Demon's Souls look like a cakewalk. I play my games for fun, not for frustration. I think a lot of people who will get it will do so because they feel like they have something to prove.[/QUOTE]

The game is about 100000x easier than people make it out to be. You simply die to figure out how to win, that's the game's philosophy, there's nothing demanding about it.

Think about it -- how could a game so hard be this popular? If CAGs can get through it, anyone can.

edit: oh, i read wrong, you already beat Demon's Souls...

[quote name='guardian_owl']The blood stain will not be at the exact spot you died, it will be at the point you were about 5-10 seconds before you die. IE, if you were to fall to your death from a cliff, your souls would not be where you went splat, they would be about 5-10 feet back from the ledge you fell off.

It's usually a good idea to grab your blood stain immediately so that you don't log on a day or two latter and forget where it was. If you die on your back to the bloodstain all those souls are lost forever.

So where are you currently stuck? you mention a knight so have you climbed the interior of a castle wall and just dodged a flaming boulder? If so, as soon as you exit that stair case turn around and walk away from the blue-eyed knight, down the tower spiral staircase to find an uber ring and open a shortcut.[/QUOTE]

I was able to beat him.
Now I have the ring that gives me more hp in soul form. much better! :D

I basically have gone through most of the castle except for where the dragons are laying. I have a feeling they will wipe me out, so I haven't ventured down there yet. I think I have opened 2 shortcuts and the big boss drawbridge that I have not entered yet. I still haven't fought that skeleton with the huge sword and red eyes yet (he is the opposite direction of the first knight) towards the beginning of the level.

Is there a way to bank souls? Will I eventually be able to sell equipment? I have the guy in the nexus holding some broken swords and stuff I can not equip yet.

@slowdive, u cant bank souls or sell equipment. But the stockpile Thomas will hold everything for u. just try to leave all the items u dont need behind so u can pick up all the items u find in the areas. Sometimes its a good idea not to pick up all the items u find, cause ur item burden will max fast, and any items u touch, but dont pick up, will disappear if u go to the nexus.
I wont spoil the first boss for u. Good Luck.
And question, r u playing online or offline?

[quote name='Tavohl']@slowdive, u cant bank souls or sell equipment. But the stockpile Thomas will hold everything for u. just try to leave all the items u dont need behind so u can pick up all the items u find in the areas. Sometimes its a good idea not to pick up all the items u find, cause ur item burden will max fast, and any items u touch, but dont pick up, will disappear if u go to the nexus.
I wont spoil the first boss for u. Good Luck.
And question, r u playing online or offline?[/QUOTE]

I'm playing offline. I have never used my ps3 online. Eventually I will set it up. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I won't be leveled in seconds!

If u have a difficult time with the game, try playing it online so u can get PWWT. its only available till the 17th of October. After the 17th till end of month will be PBWT(Pure Black World Tendency). In pure black, u get more souls from slaying enemies but they have more hp. So if u can set up to play online, u will be able to take advantage of the pure white.

i picked it up about 2 weeks ago and I am completely absorbed in this game... I've sunk about 30 hours in, soul level 40 and feel like I'm barely scratching the surface.. I've only been in two of the "worlds" so far

def one of the best games I've played this gen, the game is difficult but not unfair at all

Just killed flamelurker this morning.. good stuff.

[quote name='Blackshear']i picked it up about 2 weeks ago and I am completely absorbed in this game... I've sunk about 30 hours in, soul level 40 and feel like I'm barely scratching the surface.. I've only been in two of the "worlds" so far

def one of the best games I've played this gen, the game is difficult but not unfair at all

Just killed flamelurker this morning.. good stuff.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what level I am (probably 30 or so), but I think the game is easier if you play though the first boss/checkpoint on each level. I haven't tried level 5 yet, but the others seem ok if you take your time and avoid anything with red eyes. The black phantoms are easier to beat than the red eyed characters. I find myself blocking and dodging a lot. I think the game only gets hard if you run through a level or try to take out enemies too quickly.

I haven't fought or seen flamelurker yet. I am waiting on that battle, since he is the 2nd boss. I just got wiped out by 'maneater'. He doesn't seem too tough, but I got careless.

Be sure to take advantage of pure white world tendency if you haven't, purple flame shield and strength ring are easy picking right now.. Ends tomorrow..

Red eye knight is challenging, prob killed me a good 15 times or so.. I can spank him every time now though, that's what's so good about this game.. Rewarding to get through things that seemed near impossible earlier with ease

[quote name='Tavohl']Any one got a Pure Bladestone. They are so hard to get.[/QUOTE]
Depends what your level is whether I have any characters in range

the one im playing right now, is lvl 106, and the other one i have is lvl 190.
Edit: WOOOT!!! i just got one!! and i remember there was a guy on youtube that said he was paying $20 dollars for a pure bladestone lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, I should sell some of my fully upgraded equipment. I haven't played DS in at least 1.5 years, though. I think my guy was SL 140 or something when I stopped.

[quote name='Tavohl']the one im playing right now, is lvl 106, and the other one i have is lvl 190.
Edit: WOOOT!!! i just got one!! and i remember there was a guy on youtube that said he was paying $20 dollars for a pure bladestone lol.[/QUOTE]
Lol, just dupe it with a friend and sell it to the other guy for $20.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol, just dupe it with a friend and sell it to the other guy for $20.[/QUOTE]

You don't even need friends to dupe items. All consumable items, including stones and souls, can be duped solo. The process is very easy, too.

It is a pure black world tendency event until October 31st, so why is my world 2 not showing up as pure black? I killed the primeval demon, that it? Trying to fight the black phantom NPC. Obviously can't get that sword by the dragon god, but was hoping to kill the BP. Tried to reset it by reloading and going in and out of the world.

[quote name='paddlefoot']It is a pure black world tendency event until October 31st, so why is my world 2 not showing up as pure black? I killed the primeval demon, that it? Trying to fight the black phantom NPC. Obviously can't get that sword by the dragon god, but was hoping to kill the BP. Tried to reset it by reloading and going in and out of the world.[/QUOTE]
go to the nexus and then try to restart the game. this should lower the world tendency. u might have to do it, more than once to get pure black again.

@Blackshear maybe u didnt have enough black tendency.And remember it spawns in the opposite side of the dungeon, the left side

If any one need an item let me know, while im lvl 109. According to the calculator lowest lvl is 89 and highest is 129

I'm so glad I started playing this again. I like it better than the new one. I'm only around level 30 and still have to beat 2-1. I made it to the spider boss but died when the game came out. Now I'm trying to find my way back to the boss.

[quote name='sendme']I'm so glad I started playing this again. I like it better than the new one. I'm only around level 30 and still have to beat 2-1. I made it to the spider boss but died when the game came out. Now I'm trying to find my way back to the boss.[/QUOTE]
Before you went across the pit of lava you doused with water, did you continue walking straight outside? If so, ride that elevator up at the start, enter the Tunnel on the second level, make the first left and you should be back at the boss. If not, make sure to go outside once you reach the lava pit again to unlock that shortcut.

I picked DS up again after not playing it for a year or so. Got addicted immediately after picking it up.

So to those that have both Dark and Demon's Souls, what are the big differences? Which do you prefer?

Like many others have posted, I re-started playing Demon Souls after reading all the hype over Dark Souls.

I instantly was hooked again and over the last two weeks, I have sunk over 30 hours in and finally beat the game. I ended up using the duplication glitch to make it a more enjoyable experience. I honestly don't think I could have beaten the game without it. Even though I did "cheat" I enjoyed every minute and this is my favorite game of all time.

That said, the almost stressful feeling and isolation this game evokes have me thinking I really need to wait a good long time before jumping in to Dark Souls. As excited as I am for that game, I just don't think I could take it on right now and I fear I would just end up setting it aside as soon as another game gets its hooks in me - like Skyrim or Saints 3.

This game is so great!!

[quote name='bastiartadi']I picked DS up again after not playing it for a year or so. Got addicted immediately after picking it up.

So to those that have both Dark and Demon's Souls, what are the big differences? Which do you prefer?[/QUOTE]
Preferred this game actually, but only because it was fresh and new. Dark Souls gives more of the same, so it's somewhat cheapened by that been there, done that feeling. It's still a great game, but a few design flaws and steps backward keep it from topping Demon's Souls.

[quote name='Jodou']Preferred this game actually, but only because it was fresh and new. Dark Souls gives more of the same, so it's somewhat cheapened by that been there, done that feeling. It's still a great game, but a few design flaws and steps backward keep it from topping Demon's Souls.[/QUOTE]

Now that I'm playing Dark Souls, could you specify what you consider to be the flaws and steps backwards in Dark Souls?

There are a few improvements like no carrying limit. I also like the Estus flask vs random health potions. And it seems like there are less missable things in Dark Souls which I prefer (like having that first knight die on you if you aren't careful in Demon's Souls). Though that may change as I'm not that far into Dark Souls yet.

Also, I don't remember how spells worked in Demon's Souls but I like the way they are handled in Dark Souls.

I do still need to get back to Demon's Souls and finish off the platinum on it. I have all the hard stuff done (weapons, rings, etc). I just need the ending boss souls from World 3 and 5 for the last two spells. But it has been so long I won't remember how to speed through those like I did in my previous NG+. Then again, playing Dark Souls has at least gotten myself reacquainted with the combat. But I dislike World 5 so much that I'm having a hard time thinking of slogging through that again.

Spells were handled with MP which you could recharge with weed, which was pretty nice. I don't like the limited spells thing.

I do like the bonfire checkpoints. They're spaced well enough where you're not clearing the entire level before you get a checkpoint.

[quote name='io']Now that I'm playing Dark Souls, could you specify what you consider to be the flaws and steps backwards in Dark Souls?[/QUOTE]
I felt making the world in Dark Souls open-ended but without direction was a misstep. The game is tough enough without really having a goal or wasting an hour getting somewhere only to have to turn around because you weren't meant for this area yet. There's quite a few more beginner's traps that you just have to experience first to avoid later. I'm not talking about twitch traps that you can avoid, more like stuff that you try out to experiment and die for it. When a game punishes you for being creative, that's where I tend to draw the line.

[quote name='io'] And it seems like there are less missable things in Dark Souls which I prefer (like having that first knight die on you if you aren't careful in Demon's Souls). Though that may change as I'm not that far into Dark Souls yet.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, there are way MORE of those in Dark Souls. The NPC interactions get pretty involved. I do feel like Dark Souls pretty much improved on everything from Demon's Souls, though. Many people don't like the PvP changes and convenant system, but I'm not that into PvP anyway so it doesn't bother me.

I definitely like how open it is. When I get stuck on something, I just explore somewhere else in the world until I find more equipment or level up and then go back. Darkroot garden/basin is especially good for that, as it seems to be an area that you can explore at a very wide level range.

I prefer Demon's Souls for PvP and coop over Dark Souls. The PvP in DKS currently has no variety when facing randoms. Scaling weapons, that was so prominent in DS, is irrelevant. So most of the community follows a lighting/fire weapon and equip setup. As for coop, the DKS lobby system made that a chore to connect with friends even when putting down a sign every few seconds.

As for the positives of DKS, I have to say that the reduced need for grinding for items is a great relief and that you could get every item in the game (minus master key). This is a vast improvement from DS where you had to grind some hours for a pure bladestone or hope the crystal lizards drop a pure dark moonstone or moonstone in that current playthrough. As stated before, I like how open it is as well and the infinite inventory system is great too.
-
Overall to me..

DS MP > DKS MP.
DKS SP > DS SP.

I have a question, about character tendency. I thought my char was shiny, but i killed the blacksmith at the nexus(got excited after i got the pure blade....) and my char isnt shiny anymore. Im on my NG++ and ive killed a few black phantoms. but i dont see my character changing. Any ideas what is going on?

bread's done
Back