Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='Tavohl']I have a question, about character tendency. I thought my char was shiny, but i killed the blacksmith at the nexus(got excited after i got the pure blade....) and my char isnt shiny anymore. Im on my NG++ and ive killed a few black phantoms. but i dont see my character changing. Any ideas what is going on?[/QUOTE]

Were they the named NPC black phantoms or actual human invaders? Random black phantoms (e.g. at the beginning of 4-1) don't count.

[quote name='Backlash']Were they the named NPC black phantoms or actual human invaders? Random black phantoms (e.g. at the beginning of 4-1) don't count.[/QUOTE]
Ive killed an invading one, at Old Monk bossfight, and then all the others, like, Selen Vinland(5-2), Satsuki(4-1), Miralda(1-1), Rydell(3-1), and Scrivir(2-2). Also, i maybe killed the dregling merchant, not sure. You know Soul Arrow gets a lil excited too.
Im going trhough the stages kinda fast, tho. Dont really kill many enemies, unless they really are standing in the way. So might go into another NG+ to get the friends ring.
But what is wierd, is that at the wiki it doesnt say you lose char tendency for killing the blacksmith.But it says u lose 2 for the dregling merchant.

You lose char tendency for killing any NPCs I think, as well as invading other people and killing them. And gain char tendency by killing NPC black phantoms or invaders.

Are game saves still locked for this game, or have they changed it? I only ask because I'm away from home without my ps3 and really want to beat this game. The only way this can happen is if I go home for the weekend and copy my save over to a ps3 and then copy it into my friend's ps3 and play from there.

I don't wanna make another trip home just to find out its still locked :p

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Are game saves still locked for this game, or have they changed it? I only ask because I'm away from home without my ps3 and really want to beat this game. The only way this can happen is if I go home for the weekend and copy my save over to a ps3 and then copy it into my friend's ps3 and play from there.

I don't wanna make another trip home just to find out its still locked :p[/QUOTE]
Locked, only way you could do what you want to do is if you have PS+ and you upload it to cloud storage and then download it back down after the time limit (I think it is 24 hours before you can download locked game saves).

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Are game saves still locked for this game, or have they changed it? I only ask because I'm away from home without my ps3 and really want to beat this game. The only way this can happen is if I go home for the weekend and copy my save over to a ps3 and then copy it into my friend's ps3 and play from there.

I don't wanna make another trip home just to find out its still locked :p[/QUOTE]

I am in the exact same boat here, going out of town for surgery, and will be on my back for a week. On demon souls, you couldn't even upload to PSN+. Does anyone know for sure that you can do this with Dark Souls, including downloading to a friends playstation (with my account/profile)?

I really down't want to have to put my PS3 in my suit case...

~S

edit: oops thought I was in Dark Souls thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've hit a wall in this game. I completely cleared level 2.
Level 1, I am having a pain getting by the blue dragon to meet the king, I can't beat maneater on level 3, I keep dieing on 4-2, and I either get wiped out by the black phantom on 5-2 or the giant birdman.

I guess I just have to level up until I can use heavier equipment. I have a white bow (2 actually), that I am no where near able to use. I have the lava bow which is nice. I am using my blessed/regen mace that I upgraded to +2. I upgraded my dragon sword to +3. and I am using the adjudicator's shield (was using the heater shield).

I think maneater would be the best bet for me, but is there a shield that blocks his attacks? (I basically have every shield except the silver one).

[quote name='slowdive21']I've hit a wall in this game. I completely cleared level 2.
Level 1, I am having a pain getting by the blue dragon to meet the king, I can't beat maneater on level 3, I keep dieing on 4-2, and I either get wiped out by the black phantom on 5-2 or the giant birdman.

I guess I just have to level up until I can use heavier equipment. I have a white bow (2 actually), that I am no where near able to use. I have the lava bow which is nice. I am using my blessed/regen mace that I upgraded to +2. I upgraded my dragon sword to +3. and I am using the adjudicator's shield (was using the heater shield).

I think maneater would be the best bet for me, but is there a shield that blocks his attacks? (I basically have every shield except the silver one).[/QUOTE]
You should definitely get the Ring of Great Strength if you haven't already, it's in world 1-1 under the tail of the dragon in the "dragon courtyard". It will help boost up you max equipment load which will allow to run/dodge faster while holding heavier armor.

[quote name='SynGamer']I'm really interested in Dark Souls...how much could I get for a lightly used copy of Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition?[/QUOTE]
Well being that Demons Souls is now on the Greatest Hits, that goes for $20 (brand new), so a used copy of the Deluxe Edition would go for around $20 as well, give and take, depending on who you sell it to.

[quote name='Assasin']Well being that Demons Souls is now on the Greatest Hits, that goes for $20 (brand new), so a used copy of the Deluxe Edition would go for around $20 as well, give and take, depending on who you sell it to.[/QUOTE]

Wait, I thought the Deluxe edition was worth a bit more because it came with the Guide?

Deluxe goes for $200+ on ebay. Not sure if that includes used prices.

To beat maneater, just use the poison cloud. It may be a little cheap, but I still felt pretty damn good about it.

~S

You can also cheese maneater by shooting arrows through the fog gate before you enter :)

Edit: And I used Death Cloud on more NPCs and NPC black phantoms than I care to mention. Works like a charm on most. You should be aware that if you're going for Pure White CT that it doesn't raise your CT, though.

[quote name='SynGamer']Wait, I thought the Deluxe edition was worth a bit more because it came with the Guide?[/QUOTE]
Well looking off of eBay, I say your price point is around $70 being that someone already has bid that amount for the DE. That's including the box as well.

[quote name='Assasin']Well looking off of eBay, I say your price point is around $70 being that someone already has bid that amount for the DE. That's including the box as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I wonder if I might be better off putting this on my TL and skipping the fees on eBay.

[quote name='Assasin']You should definitely get the Ring of Great Strength if you haven't already, it's in world 1-1 under the tail of the dragon in the "dragon courtyard". It will help boost up you max equipment load which will allow to run/dodge faster while holding heavier armor.[/QUOTE]

How do I get by the red dragon? I tried shooting him with the lava bow and it only takes off 6 HP. Don't you get fried if you go near him? Or is there a shield I could use that stops fire damage?

In the second level of the Boletaria palace, run onto the long bridge up to the 1st roof and you can slowly arrow the red dragon to death as it flies by, make sure you have plenty of arrows because you don't want to run out and have to start over.

Dragon weapons, fire spells, or black / regular turpentine applied to weapons will help a great deal with Maneater as it is quite weak against fire.

Running by the blue dragon, a shield with high fire res, under 50% equip weight for full speed, fire protection rings, and/or water veil. Edge forward as it breaths fire with your shield up until you find the range when the flames begin to hit you. Once you find the range of the flame, wait until the fire dies down and raise your shield and sprint full speed up along the left side of the path.

If you can't beat the black phantom in 5-2 now, avoid that side of the swamp. follow the fence which blocks the center of the swamp and if you wear the thief's ring you can sneak by the large club guy on the island near the path to the other side of the swamp.

Out of curiosity, what's killing you in 4-2? the shadow lurkers?

[quote name='slowdive21']How do I get by the red dragon? I tried shooting him with the lava bow and it only takes off 6 HP. Don't you get fried if you go near him? Or is there a shield I could use that stops fire damage?[/QUOTE]
To get the shining items that are below the dragons on edge you can just slowly walk to there and grab it with no problem, but to get the items that are facing the dragons is where you will die (maybe), the best way to do it as fast as you can is obviously where the maximum amount of armor that will allow you to run at your fastest, then go to the bridge to where the red dragon will be constantly blowing fire on, you will need to time it perfectly so it will take some practice tries so you can time the dragons fire, when the dragon is about to start blowing fire on the bridge is when you run all the way to where those items are and pick them up as fast as you can before the dragon returns.

[quote name='guardian_owl']In the second level of the Boletaria palace, run onto the long bridge up to the 1st roof and you can slowly arrow the red dragon to death as it flies by, make sure you have plenty of arrows because you don't want to run out and have to start over.

Dragon weapons, fire spells, or black / regular turpentine applied to weapons will help a great deal with Maneater as it is quite weak against fire.

Running by the blue dragon, a shield with high fire res, under 50% equip weight for full speed, fire protection rings, and/or water veil. Edge forward as it breaths fire with your shield up until you find the range when the flames begin to hit you. Once you find the range of the flame, wait until the fire dies down and raise your shield and sprint full speed up along the left side of the path.

If you can't beat the black phantom in 5-2 now, avoid that side of the swamp. follow the fence which blocks the center of the swamp and if you wear the thief's ring you can sneak by the large club guy on the island near the path to the other side of the swamp.

Out of curiosity, what's killing you in 4-2? the shadow lurkers?[/QUOTE]

Maneater wiped me out again. I had one of them down to about 20% life. I just realized the "world" is black, so I may try to look for the demon blob thing.

4-2 was also black so it was mainly the gold skeletons, additional phantoms, and the stingrays. It is just the tight quarters/ledges that mess me up. I found the blob demon, so now it looks like that world is neutral.

[quote name='Assasin']To get the shining items that are below the dragons on edge you can just slowly walk to there and grab it with no problem, but to get the items that are facing the dragons is where you will die (maybe), the best way to do it as fast as you can is obviously where the maximum amount of armor that will allow you to run at your fastest, then go to the bridge to where the red dragon will be constantly blowing fire on, you will need to time it perfectly so it will take some practice tries so you can time the dragons fire, when the dragon is about to start blowing fire on the bridge is when you run all the way to where those items are and pick them up as fast as you can before the dragon returns.[/QUOTE]

I ended up just going balls out and ran to the items. :D I was already in soul form and died the first time, but I did manage to pick up all of the items that were in the field!

Thanks for the help guys!

[quote name='slowdive21']4-2 was also black so it was mainly the gold skeletons, additional phantoms, and the stingrays. It is just the tight quarters/ledges that mess me up. I found the blob demon, so now it looks like that world is neutral.[/QUOTE]

To avoid the stingrays, wear the thief ring. They shouldn't bother you once you have that on.

[quote name='slowdive21']Maneater wiped me out again. I had one of them down to about 20% life. I just realized the "world" is black, so I may try to look for the demon blob thing.

4-2 was also black so it was mainly the gold skeletons, additional phantoms, and the stingrays. It is just the tight quarters/ledges that mess me up. I found the blob demon, so now it looks like that world is neutral. [/QUOTE]
Are you keeping close to the fire pit in the center of the platform? As long as you keep close to it and at least a quarter of the way around away from one of them that should keep you from being hit / knocked off the platform. Keep it between you and them, wait for an opening, run around, hit it a few times, and retreat to the other side.

Do you have any soul remains? (these drop in the Shrine of Storms) they are like Demon catnip. If you keep some in a quick item slot you can toss them to the side (most normal nearby enemies will attack them) to distract the gold / dual-katana skeletons so that you can sneak by / backstab them and as Brown said, the thief's ring will keep most storm beasts from bothering you. In fact, I wore the thief's ring as one of my main rings most of the time as it makes managing crowds so much easier by shrinking your agro range.

Hello...

i just started the game and so far it looks quite good.
What i wonder is this. In a game like Oblivion to be a thief was a good thing and you could be the game. Not sure about this game.
For example, right now i am out of arrows and i assume i need to buy arrows since there are no where arrows to be found.
It took me also a while to get the grip on these messages left by other people and some are pricks.
In the first area you will see a pit where you see stars floating and the message said, good things come to you or something similar. So jump and ..... died.
Lol.. it was funny.

Anyway, i really like to know if i can beat the game as a thief or if i am better off with something more brutal.

Thanks for any insight or thought :)

Classes aren't what they are in most RPGs, they are more like starting packages. Which class you pick just affects your initial stat allocation and your starting equipment, one class does not learn any skill more or less effectively than any other class. So if you started out as a sorcerer and then decided you wanted to change to melee 10-20 levels in, you could do so easily.

Until a better merchant shows up in the Nexus, you can buy vanilla arrows from the blacksmith who can repair your weapons in the Nexus. Protip: push up on the d-pad while 2-handing your bow to go into sniper mode, press up more to zoom in.

If you want to use a bow, then Dexterity would be stat of choice to upgrade to increase damage. There are also curved weapons and daggers which gain a strong damage bonus from dexterity.

What guardian owl said. Also, if you're having lots of trouble with melee, you can try starting as a royal which gives you a spell and mana-regenerating ring to start with (allowing you to use magic to beat the first level much more easily).

[quote name='guardian_owl']Classes aren't what they are in most RPGs, they are more like starting packages. Which class you pick just affects your initial stat allocation and your starting equipment, one class does not learn any skill more or less effectively than any other class. So if you started out as a sorcerer and then decided you wanted to change to melee 10-20 levels in, you could do so easily.

Until a better merchant shows up in the Nexus, you can buy vanilla arrows from the blacksmith who can repair your weapons in the Nexus. Protip: push up on the d-pad while 2-handing your bow to go into sniper mode, press up more to zoom in.

If you want to use a bow, then Dexterity would be stat of choice to upgrade to increase damage. There are also curved weapons and daggers which gain a strong damage bonus from dexterity.[/QUOTE]

i see. You know, i seen the video and thought, mm.. this sword i surely can not wield as a thief.
I am used to this, that a thief (as a class) can only use/wield certain items. As an example, no heavy armor. But what you are saying is, that it does not matter really and instead you build you character by building certain features of a character.
That is that.

So far i haven't even reached the first boss, so i am very early in the game.

The first level is the hardest. Once you beat the first boss you gain the ability to level up, buy stuff, etc and you can then choose which level to play next. Keep at it!

[quote name='Backlash']The first level is the hardest. Once you beat the first boss you gain the ability to level up, buy stuff, etc and you can then choose which level to play next. Keep at it![/QUOTE]

Agreed. You become more familiar with the game mechanics, get used to feeling out the environment, and begin to advance your character. It all comes together. This reminds me that I need to get back to this game finally.

I have to disappoint you guys. Right now, after i finished Oblivion, i switched over to Uncharted 1. Right now i just needs something easy.

But i will continue after i am done with that.

[quote name='yester']I have to disappoint you guys. Right now, after i finished Oblivion, i switched over to Uncharted 1. Right now i just needs something easy.

But i will continue after i am done with that.[/QUOTE]
Uncharted 1=GOTG.

Does Atlus plan on doing anymore tendency events, like shifting everything to white for valentines day etc?

Picked this back up after an almost 2 year hiatus after getting bored with Dark Souls. Doing quite well, but I do prefer the larger assortment of environments like Dark Souls.

[quote name='yester']I have to disappoint you guys. Right now, after i finished Oblivion, i switched over to Uncharted 1. Right now i just needs something easy.

And I thought my back log was bad :)

There will probably be a white event at Christmas time, there has been one in the past. If there is, it will likely start around the 19th and last about a week.

I have a confession, I stopped playing, it felt too much like work. I just played through bulletstorm the past week to get out my "run around and kill everything" urges!

I am on the last boss of the first world (been leveling up, so I can use some armor), beat the second world, beat maneater, beat the 4th world, and the 5th world is a PITA.

I gotta say, I generally found the gunfights in Uncharted 1 much cheaper, less fun and more frustrating in anything in Demon's Souls so far. I went through that game dreading the next excruciatingly long round of machine gun pirate whack-a-mole.

[quote name='looploop']I gotta say, I generally found the gunfights in Uncharted 1 much cheaper, less fun and more frustrating in anything in Demon's Souls so far. I went through that game dreading the next excruciatingly long round of machine gun pirate whack-a-mole.[/QUOTE]
I agree. Not to mention 25 bullets in the head to kill someone.

At start up:

"Even demons enjoy the winter solstice: the Kingdom of Bolataria will celebrate a Pure White World Tendency event that stretches into the new year, starting 12/16 and ending 1/2/12! Happy holidays, and thank you for continuing to support Demon's Souls."

[quote name='eez28']At start up:

"Even demons enjoy the winter solstice: the Kingdom of Bolataria will celebrate a Pure White World Tendency event that stretches into the new year, starting 12/16 and ending 1/2/12! Happy holidays, and thank you for continuing to support Demon's Souls."[/QUOTE]

reminder, I just remembered this!

[quote name='misterpiggybank']Crap! Only 3 days left. Wonder if I'll be able to finish this before the 2nd. I've only finished the first two levels of Boletaria :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Unless you're going for platinum, PW probably helps the most in 1-1 anyway, since the dragons won't be there (so you cross the bridge easily and can loot their nest) and the door near the beginning is open. I haven't played this game in 2 years, but that's what I remember.

Might not be able to finish the game, but you can probably get all currently accessible Pure White events. The only world you have to completely finish to do the white tendency events (world 5) is bugged and is not actually pure white apparently.

Boletaria Palace
Area 1:
*Executioner's Ground, to the left at the start
*Dragons Nest, on a side hallway just before the short bridge which the red dragon strafes with fire

Stonefang Tunnel
Area 2:
*Scirvir (NPC), Turn right after the starting archstone and drop down the mine shaft from plank to plank, he will be about 2/3rds the way down the shaft in a side tunnel.
Area 3:
*Dragon Bone Smasher, enter hallway which leads to the final boss and turn left, retrieve the sword and return to Scirvir

Tower of Latria
Area 2 (needed for Area 1 event):
*Key to Rydell's cell, as soon as you are at the first tower where you kill 4 mage prisoners and a chain drops, keep climbing to the top of the tower
Area 1:
*2E East, Unlock Rydell's cell with the key from area 2 and this will open the 2E East Gate to your right just before you exit the prison into the open area with the arrow firing machine. You will still need Pure white to get all the items in that room.

Shrine of Storms
Area 1:
*Satsuki, right at the start of the level
Area 2:
*Makoto blade, follow the pretty lights to the hole in the floor, the sword will be in the pit.

Valley of Defilement (moot since pure white tendency event apparently isn't functioning correctly in this world)
Area 1:
Istarelle polearm, after you pass through the room with the rats and the merchant at the bottom should lead to a ledge path with a Giant Depraved One, ladder up to the area should be on your left
Area 2:
Selen Vinland, once you enter the poison swamp, follow the fencing along the center of the swamp and eventually you will find an island on your left with a Giant Depraved One, and a tunnel on your right which goes through the fence. As soon as you are on the other side of the fence, look to your right and you should see a campfire in the distance with the NPC, take her quest.
Area 3:
Garl Vinland phantom, kill the final boss of the world, grab loot, exit and return to fight Garl one more time, take the item back to Selen in area 2.

This is where I keep dieing.

Stonefang Tunnel
Area 2:
*Scirvir (NPC), Turn right after the starting archstone and drop down the mine shaft from plank to plank, he will be about 2/3rds the way down the shaft in a side tunnel.

I keep falling too far. I can get to the second drop and then I die on the third. Lost 50,000 souls b/c I slipped when I was picking them back up.

I think I only did the complete shortcut once, ever. It was really hard for me. Although getting to Scirvir's landing is a bit easier.

Try turning your in-game brightness all the way up. In general it ruins the atmosphere of the game, but it does make that part easier.

bread's done
Back