Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='guardian_owl']Watching a video would probably help, back when I played it there were helpful messages left at most of the planks so you knew where your next target plank was to drop on.

Path starts at 2:30:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVPxA0LCZy0[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I have been going to the right, since there is a item I have not been able to pick up there for some reason. :dunce:

I am not sure if this is a glitch or what. I finally got the key and freed Rydell, he told me he had a ring for me, then my character swung his sword at him (I did not even have my hands on the shoulder buttons). Then his energy bar came up and he wouldn't stop attacking me, so I killed him and it game me some ring I think I already had. But now I can't get into the last area of the level because of that fight. :bomb:

So, now i am getting more engaged with this game.
So far, i have a hard time and still struggle with the best strategies. But that will come over time.
What i am curious about is, the handbook talks about co-op/multiplayer. Since there is no option i can see in the game, is this unlocked during the play?
If its co-op that would be great since i can play with a friend.

Also, all the weapons i found in the game i can not use. So i gave it to the man in the nexus to hold it for me.
Perhaps i can use them later.

[quote name='yester']So, now i am getting more engaged with this game.
So far, i have a hard time and still struggle with the best strategies. But that will come over time.
What i am curious about is, the handbook talks about co-op/multiplayer. Since there is no option i can see in the game, is this unlocked during the play?
If its co-op that would be great since i can play with a friend.

Also, all the weapons i found in the game i can not use. So i gave it to the man in the nexus to hold it for me.
Perhaps i can use them later.[/QUOTE]

That is my biggest complaint. Half of the weapons you can't even use unless you have one of the special rings equipped. I think I am soul level 105 or something and I still can't use most of the weapons.

I could be wrong but you have to be alive, online, and summon other players to help you with one of the stones.

[quote name='slowdive21']That is my biggest complaint. Half of the weapons you can't even use unless you have one of the special rings equipped. I think I am soul level 105 or something and I still can't use most of the weapons.

I could be wrong but you have to be alive, online, and summon other players to help you with one of the stones.[/QUOTE]

Correct. You must be alive and in an area where you haven't beaten the boss. Then you will be able to summon people who are within 10% +/- 10 of your soul level. You can also be summoned by using your blue stone (when in soul form).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guardian_owl']Might not be able to finish the game, but you can probably get all currently accessible Pure White events. The only world you have to completely finish to do the white tendency events (world 5) is bugged and is not actually pure white apparently.

Boletaria Palace
Area 1:
*Executioner's Ground, to the left at the start
*Dragons Nest, on a side hallway just before the short bridge which the red dragon strafes with fire

Stonefang Tunnel
Area 2:
*Scirvir (NPC), Turn right after the starting archstone and drop down the mine shaft from plank to plank, he will be about 2/3rds the way down the shaft in a side tunnel.
Area 3:
*Dragon Bone Smasher, enter hallway which leads to the final boss and turn left, retrieve the sword and return to Scirvir

Tower of Latria
Area 2 (needed for Area 1 event):
*Key to Rydell's cell, as soon as you are at the first tower where you kill 4 mage prisoners and a chain drops, keep climbing to the top of the tower
Area 1:
*2E East, Unlock Rydell's cell with the key from area 2 and this will open the 2E East Gate to your right just before you exit the prison into the open area with the arrow firing machine. You will still need Pure white to get all the items in that room.

Shrine of Storms
Area 1:
*Satsuki, right at the start of the level
Area 2:
*Makoto blade, follow the pretty lights to the hole in the floor, the sword will be in the pit.

Valley of Defilement (moot since pure white tendency event apparently isn't functioning correctly in this world)
Area 1:
Istarelle polearm, after you pass through the room with the rats and the merchant at the bottom should lead to a ledge path with a Giant Depraved One, ladder up to the area should be on your left
Area 2:
Selen Vinland, once you enter the poison swamp, follow the fencing along the center of the swamp and eventually you will find an island on your left with a Giant Depraved One, and a tunnel on your right which goes through the fence. As soon as you are on the other side of the fence, look to your right and you should see a campfire in the distance with the NPC, take her quest.
Area 3:
Garl Vinland phantom, kill the final boss of the world, grab loot, exit and return to fight Garl one more time, take the item back to Selen in area 2.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think I'll be able to complete at least world 2 by tomorrow so I can get the dragon bone smasher.

What are the more important items you can get during the PWWT? I'm trying to avoid world 5 if at all possible :whistle2:#

If character is female, Executioner's ground in 1-1 as the NPC drops the best armor for females in the game. The dragon's nest in 1-1 also has one of the better shields, purple flame shield.

If you're a strength build, the dragon bone smash in 2-3 is a pretty decent weapon since it can be enchanted or items can be applied like turpentine or sticky white stuff

In 3-2 if you like to use heavier weapons, near Lord Rydell's cell in pure white tendency to the right where debris is clear is venerable wage, some of the best light armor.

In 4-2 the only item is the makoto katana blade which is a decent weapon if you are a Dex build.

This is just a heads up for pure white world 5-2. You do not have to kill the "golden woman" for her armor, there is a slug in the middle of nowhere (middle of the swamp) that drops it all. I finally fully explored 5-2 and beat the boss.

[quote name='Backlash']The first level is the hardest. Once you beat the first boss you gain the ability to level up, buy stuff, etc and you can then choose which level to play next. Keep at it![/QUOTE]

Well, i beat the first boss now. But where do you level up. There is a women saying that the statue will explain, but if go up there is nothing. At least i can not talk to the statue.
Also, i tripped down from an edge and lost my souls in the nexus. sadly all souls were lost. mm... and that after i picked up my blood stain.

I did got two rings in the first way up to the first boss and i was able to upgrade my stuff.

But how to i level up?

[quote name='yester']Well, i beat the first boss now. But where do you level up. There is a women saying that the statue will explain, but if go up there is nothing. At least i can not talk to the statue.
Also, i tripped down from an edge and lost my souls in the nexus. sadly all souls were lost. mm... and that after i picked up my blood stain.

I did got two rings in the first way up to the first boss and i was able to upgrade my stuff.

But how to i level up?[/QUOTE]

There are statues at the top of the nexus with little Buddha type guys. One of them you can talk to. After you talk to him, you can talk to the blind woman with the stick that is in the nexus to level up.

Ah, got it.

Btw. the boss reminded me about Zelda. Not sure why, but the music and the boss, it was like Zelda. Pretty cool.

[quote name='slowdive21']That is my biggest complaint. Half of the weapons you can't even use unless you have one of the special rings equipped. I think I am soul level 105 or something and I still can't use most of the weapons.

I could be wrong but you have to be alive, online, and summon other players to help you with one of the stones.[/QUOTE]

I found out that you equip item in the equip menu and not the inventory.

[quote name='yester']Ah, got it.

Btw. the boss reminded me about Zelda. Not sure why, but the music and the boss, it was like Zelda. Pretty cool.[/QUOTE]
It's probably the lock-on and circle strafing mechanic as it's a similar mechanic to the one used in Ocarina of Time and subsequent games.

Path to monumental, look for the statue with the candle in front of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAe7u37ouCk

Finally beat this game before xmas, but don't know if I'll bother playing it through again, and again...the platinum sounds like too much of a time sink when I have so many other games to play.

[quote name='guardian_owl']It's probably the lock-on and circle strafing mechanic as it's a similar mechanic to the one used in Ocarina of Time and subsequent games.

Path to monumental, look for the statue with the candle in front of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAe7u37ouCk[/QUOTE]

Thats kind of funny really. I was just walking by in front of these statues. But i was more looking at the pillars (achievements).
So i did not notice these sleeping people as of use.

I was reaching for the items that you can grab (ember something) and by doing that i was dying.
Is this maybe a glitch or something. Because i was able to retrieve my souls, but in my inventory was no souls actually. Maybe if you die in the nexus there just gone for good.

[quote name='yester'] Maybe if you die in the nexus there just gone for good.[/QUOTE]

Definitely not. Suiciding in the Nexus to go to soul form instead of body form (but keep your souls via retrieving your blood stain) is a big part of gameplay. I have done that soooo many times.

Did you die more than once before you grabbed your bloodstain? You only can have one bloodstain at a time so if you die you will drop your bloodstain with all your souls, if you die again without grabbing it, that first bloodstain will disappear and a new bloodstain will appear about 5-10 steps back from the 2nd location you died and all the souls in the 1st bloodstain are lost forever.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Did you die more than once before you grabbed your bloodstain? You only can have one bloodstain at a time so if you die you will drop your bloodstain with all your souls, if you die again without grabbing it, that first bloodstain will disappear and a new bloodstain will appear about 5-10 steps back from the 2nd location you died and all the souls in the 1st bloodstain are lost forever.[/QUOTE]

I see. Then that must have happend. Good to know for the future. I think i lost about 2000 souls then. :(
But thats ok. I am just after the first boss there is still much more to gain.

Don't worry, if you've already killed the first boss you can replenish that many souls by killing 2-3 skeletons at the start of the Shrine of Storms. I find that is a really good place to practice parrying->riposte since the skeletons give a lot of souls and you get a bonus soul multiplier (something like +20% extra souls dropped) for a successful parry and then riposte and it usually kills the skeletons in one hit.

I tried to go up where you fight the blue knight but further where you see a red knight.
I failed since he just sliced me.
So now i go over the bridge where the dragon is. Perhaps i am not really careful but i die quite often.

[quote name='yester']I tried to go up where you fight the blue knight but further where you see a red knight.
I failed since he just sliced me.
So now i go over the bridge where the dragon is. Perhaps i am not really careful but i die quite often.[/QUOTE]

If you see any character with red eyes, stay away until you are stronger. You can always go back later and fight them (since you can go back to most areas, even if you have killed the boss).

You will die a lot on the first level. It is also the level you will play the most.

Eventually, you will get to a point where your tear through it and can kill most guys with one hit. :D

On the first level if you are in soul form, make sure you equip the cling ring. It boosts your HP.

[quote name='slowdive21']

On the first level if you are in soul form, make sure you equip the cling ring. It boosts your HP.[/QUOTE]

I'd say on ANY level if you're in soul form equip the cling ring. Well, almost any level.

Is there a strategy for leveling? I chose thief as a class and they pretty weak actually.
So right now i just think i may have to put in a lot in to strength.

[quote name='Backlash']I'd say on ANY level if you're in soul form equip the cling ring. Well, almost any level.[/QUOTE]

I meant when he finds it on the first level. I have been in soul form most of the game, because I am scared to use my stones.

[quote name='yester']Is there a strategy for leveling? I chose thief as a class and they pretty weak actually.
So right now i just think i may have to put in a lot in to strength.[/QUOTE]

I also chose a thief when I started. I dumped a lot of levels into vitality/life. I did dump enough into faith to equip one miracle, but that comes later. I probably put too much into magic, because I have 4 slots and really only use 2 of them.

Whether you pump strength, dexterity, magic, or faith depends what weapon you think you will end up using. Katanas, daggers, rapier-like swords, spears, and bows are primarily modified by dexterity. The rest are mostly modified by strength. Most weapons can also either be crafted into a weapon which gains damage by pumping magic or by pumping faith. Raising endurance / vitality for several levels until you decide what weapon you intend to use is usually a good way to avoid wasting stat points. For more information, see "what each stat means."

Picking a Class
Beginning tips
What each stat means
General tips
Regarding Shields
Dealing with the Dragon at the end of the first level
Pure White World Tendency

Beat this for the first time yesterday. Awesome game overall and looking forward to taking on Dark Souls! The wiki was a life saver so definitely recommended. Not sure if I'll do a NG+ anytime soon, I was just glad to finish it once.

Got to say that i am struggling with the 2.nd boss. The one with the badass shield.
I kinda know how to beat him, but every time i just die at one point. Makes me think that i may have to level up more.

No, i don't want to check wikis because then i spoil myself out of the fun. :) Just saying.

[quote name='yester']Got to say that i am struggling with the 2.nd boss. The one with the badass shield.
I kinda know how to beat him, but every time i just die at one point. Makes me think that i may have to level up more.

No, i don't want to check wikis because then i spoil myself out of the fun. :) Just saying.[/QUOTE]

You can always try another world. It would be very difficult to go through all of world 1 without first going to the other worlds. In fact, I don't think you can go though world 1 without going through at least 1 other world if I remember correctly.

I will give you a hint that will not give anything away, but may save you some time.

I thought that the bosses were like a puzzle, but that is not the case. When I fought the Tower Knight, I thought you had to get him to destroy all of the statues. I can tell you that is not necessary.

Not sure if you are allowed to do that, but i post my stats here. So far i put a lot of it in to dex.

The 1. boss in shadow shrine was pretty easy. I discovered that the crossbow is pretty useless.

http://flic.kr/p/b9hRSn

b9hRSn

b9hRSn

[quote name='yester']Got to say that i am struggling with the 2.nd boss. The one with the badass shield.

No, i don't want to check wikis because then i spoil myself out of the fun. :) Just saying.[/QUOTE]

I watched videos on how to beat him...and I could not do it the way the video showed. I ended up beating him my own way. Don't give up because beating him is one of the satisfying victories you'll enjoy. I felt like I beat the game after beating the tower knight....gave me hope that I can make it through this game!

The crossbow is useless, it's sole function is so that those who only put points into strength (not dexterity, magic, or faith) have a ranged attack option. You'll notice crossbows only have a strength requirement. Bows are all around superior and are worth putting a few points into dexterity.

[quote name='guardian_owl']The crossbow is useless, it's sole function is so that those who only put points into strength (not dexterity, magic, or faith) have a ranged attack option. You'll notice crossbows only have a strength requirement. Bows are all around superior and are worth putting a few points into dexterity.[/QUOTE]

Actually i found it kind of useful to some extent.
Since i was finding somewhere some bold's i used it to just select the enemy and just shot quickly. Not to bad really.

One thing i could not get my grip on is, that i can not upgrade some of my weapons. Its says for example that i don't have item x to do it. If i select a different weapon then i miss item y even though i do have x and y in my inventory.

Yesterday i defeated finally the tower guard.
It was somewhat easy actually. Each of my hits with the arrow registered with 40hp. Not sure if that high or low. It was good for me.
Now i will go back to the storm shrine and try to kill the boss there. Sadly i fell of the cliff yesterday.

The main reason crossbows are not very helpful is they are slow to fire, cannot be manually aimed (there is a 1st person sniper mode for bows), and (except for a rare crossbow) cannot be upgraded. A compound longbow will match a light crossbow in damage just by upgrading it with easily purchasable shards of hardstone to +3. They would be handy to use up bolts if you could easily equip and unequip it, but you are limited to 4 hand slots while in combat and those are quickly filled with more useful things.

Upgrade materials can be with Stockpile Thomas and they will still show up as usable when upgrading weapons at the two blacksmiths, they don't need to be in your inventory.

There are 4 qualities of common ore (hardstone & sharpstone): shards, large shards, chunks, and pure. It could be it is asking for large shards instead of shards and you may only have regular shards. Or you may have enough shards and large shards of one type of ore when you need the other type.
+1 to +3= requires only shards
+4 to +6= requires shards and large shards
+7 to +9= requires shards, large shards, and chunks
+10 = requires shards, large shards, chunks, and pure(s)

After modifying a weapon to the proper level with either hardstone or sharpstone, other upgrades with rare ore will be available.
There are 3 qualities of rare ore (all the rest): shard, chunk, pure
+1 to +2 = shards
+3 to +4 = shards and chunks
+5 = shard, chunks, and pure(s)

Last edited by a moderator:
so far, i did now boss 1-1, 1-2 + bonus boss (dragon) and 4-1, bonus boss here. I am now at 4-2.

anyway i need to upgrade my weapons. they are only +3 so far but these large shards are hard to come by. I have 2 but need 5 total. Well, takes time.

Is there a particular sword and bow thats recommended by anyone. I have a compound short bow +3 and Kiji and a weapon i found in 4-2 (forgot the name but was like a kataka).

(sorry for misspells)

Still great experience so far. almost 30 hours in it. :shock:

Go to World 2. There are plenty of shards and large shards there, IIRC. Also at this point you can definitely beat 2-1 without too much trouble, and probably 2-2 and 2-3. Also, the blacksmith who can do the best weapon upgrades (including making weapons out of boss souls) is in 2-1.

ah, ok.
Right now i am struggling a little with boss 4-2. Not that he is really hard but i am just so inpatient that i always get killed. Or to greedy. :)
Anyway, i will visit then world 2 first. I really think that if i upgrade my weapons that it will help to have more hitpoints (maybe) on the target.

In 2-2 (area after the giant spider) hang a left at the fork and ride the elevator down. Shortly you will find yourself in a big open cavern. In the cavern on the left side before you encounter the path that leads down to flying bearbugs will be the filthy man again, this one sells large shards of hardstone and sharpstone for 1500 souls each, I visited him often to acquire upgrade materials after farming for souls in the Shrine of Storms.

Best bow can be found in 4-1, when you arrive at the area with the attackable wall which is a secret path around the Vanguard, go up the stairs instead and out onto the battlements, there you will find the compound longbow. You can either transform that into a sticky compound longbow with spiderstone (+damage with dex only) or a lavabow with the Armor Spider boss soul (adds high fire damage to bow which stuns and knocks back the target and does good damage with base of 16 dex). Or if you want to leave dexterity at bare minimum of 12, use hardstone to upgrade to +10

4-2 boss, fight in soul form and/or thief ring + don't sprint = golden

[quote name='guardian_owl']4-2 boss, fight in soul form and/or thief ring + don't sprint = golden[/QUOTE]

Also don't attack him twice in a row (i.e. don't hit him again while he's still doing his "pain" animation). In case you didn't notice, he's blind, so just don't make too much noise or let him know where you are and he's pretty easy.

If you aren't putting a lot of points into DEX, definitely make the lavabow. It's pretty great, especially in World 5.

Aha, well the long bow i have. But i wasn't able to upgrade so far. So now i will go to world 2 as suggested.
Just a question as to how to upgrade the bow (or any other item). You can add the compound (i think i have sticky stuff) and still upgrade it to + whatever. Or?

Regarding the Hero. Well, i jumped around but sometimes i got slash two times which was my game over.
I think i am just to greedy and wait to long. :(

Right now i put everything in DEX and VIT and sometimes in END. I think that also a thing that did not click with me to which stats to promote.
Faith i leveled to 10 so i can at least learn spells. I got Regeneration altough it seems not be very good. Well...

Btw. the most boring fight i encountered in the game was the dragon in 1-2 (or between). But at least he is gone now.

[quote name='guardian_owl']In 2-2 (area after the giant spider) hang a left at the fork and ride the elevator down. Shortly you will find yourself in a big open cavern. In the cavern on the left side before you encounter the path that leads down to flying bearbugs will be the filthy man again, this one sells large shards of hardstone and sharpstone for 1500 souls each, I visited him often to acquire upgrade materials after farming for souls in the Shrine of Storms.

Best bow can be found in 4-1, when you arrive at the area with the attackable wall which is a secret path around the Vanguard, go up the stairs instead and out onto the battlements, there you will find the compound longbow. You can either transform that into a sticky compound longbow with spiderstone (+damage with dex only) or a lavabow with the Armor Spider boss soul (adds high fire damage to bow which stuns and knocks back the target and does good damage with base of 16 dex). Or if you want to leave dexterity at bare minimum of 12, use hardstone to upgrade to +10

4-2 boss, fight in soul form and/or thief ring + don't sprint = golden[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Backlash']Also don't attack him twice in a row (i.e. don't hit him again while he's still doing his "pain" animation). In case you didn't notice, he's blind, so just don't make too much noise or let him know where you are and he's pretty easy.

If you aren't putting a lot of points into DEX, definitely make the lavabow. It's pretty great, especially in World 5.[/QUOTE]

I think i put a lot in DEX so far. have to check what my current level is with DEX.
It seems tempting to make it a lavabow. Choices :)
I will get boss 4-2, but i'll pause on that for a moment and go 2-1.

World 2 is the easiest world in the game. There is a sword there that does decent damage that I upgraded and used through most of the game. There is also a mace in world 4-2 that is good to equip, even if you don't use it. Both of these are found items, so just make sure you explore thoroughly.

[quote name='yester']I think i put a lot in DEX so far. have to check what my current level is with DEX.
It seems tempting to make it a lavabow. Choices :)
I will get boss 4-2, but i'll pause on that for a moment and go 2-1.[/QUOTE]

If you are making a DEX-based character, a sticky bow is the best (requires spiderstone I think?). This is not the same as "sticky white stuff" which is just something you put on your weapon to make it temporarily do magic damage.

For whatever weapon you prefer (many people enjoy the Uchigatana), upgrading with Bladestone will make it scale (i.e. do more damage) with DEX. Although getting a pure bladestone to max it out is notably the hardest thing to get in the game.

yep, if dex-based go with a sticky bow for max damage. If you want stun, you can always buy fire arrows.

Doing the second level of upgrade (not sharpstone or hardstone) is a bit tricky. Some weapons have to be not upgraded by sharpstone or hardstone, others to +3, others to +6, and to transmute with a boss soul it has to be +7. The weapon has to be at exactly the right level or the choice to do the secondary upgrade will not display. Secondary upgrades can only be done by the blacksmith you find in 2-1.

If you mess up you can use a meltstone to reset the weapons level to zero, but all ores used to upgrade it are lost.

See here for the list of upgrades, click each upgrad and there will be a list of which weapons can be upgraded to that type.

Weapons must be +0:
bladestone = removes +damage from str, huge +damage from dexterity, pure bladestone is VERY rare so will likely be stuck at +4.

Weapon must be at +3:
Clearstone = evens out +to damage between dex and str
Dragonstone = removes +to damage from str+dex, adds fire damage
Mercurystone = smaller +to damage from str+dex, adds poison damage
Marrowstone = +damage from dexterity and extra bonus damage from parry+ripostes or backstabs
spiderstone = huge +damage from dexterity, greater bow range

Weapons must be +6:
moonlightstone = reduced +damage from str and dex, adds magic damage which scales fair on magis stat
Darkmoonstone = removes +damage from stats, adds magic damage which scales well with magic stat, adds MP regen
Blainstone = reduced +damage from str and dex, adds magic damage which scales well with faith stat, adds HP regen

some weapons +0, others +3
tearing = +from dexterity and chance for them to start bleeding HP
greystone = remove +damage from dexterity, huge +damage from Strength

weapon must be +7:
use a boss soul to transform standard weapon into a unique weapon

for weapons which scale well with dexterity you will probably want to look at:
Spears (not the polearms also on the page)
winged spear is the best
Curved Swords
Uchigatana, kilij, falchion is descending order of quality
Piercing swords (swords which you thrust, like rapiers)
estoc followed by rapier

As much as people complained about weapon upgrading being confusing in Dark Souls, I thought it was a pretty big improvement (leaving aside elemental weapons being too powerful and scaling being nerfed). No more reliance on meltstone to reset, all upgrades are at +5 or +10, less paths/ore types in general, no combination of stone types for an upgrade, etc.

[quote name='guardian_owl']yep, if dex-based go with a sticky bow for max damage. If you want stun, you can always buy fire arrows.

Doing the second level of upgrade (not sharpstone or hardstone) is a bit tricky. Some weapons have to be not upgraded by sharpstone or hardstone, others to +3, others to +6, and to transmute with a boss soul it has to be +7. The weapon has to be at exactly the right level or the choice to do the secondary upgrade will not display. Secondary upgrades can only be done by the blacksmith you find in 2-1.

If you mess up you can use a meltstone to reset the weapons level to zero, but all ores used to upgrade it are lost.

[/QUOTE]

Mm.. i got the pure spiderstone but it seems that i can not upgrade with this my bow.
Currently i have one basic compound long bow and one i upgraded to +2 quality compound long bow.
I even defeated now the old heroe, at last.

The upgrade path is a little confusing i have to admit, but i need to read more about it since i assume i did a mistake.
Nah, for today i am done anyway.

Thanks for the tips. They did help me out a lot. :)

If you want to redo your compound long bow to make it sticky, you should have one meltstone still in your inventory as you find one on the way through 2-1. If not, kill fire geckos in the room next to the pit of lava you had to cool in 2-1 until one drops. Upgrade it to +3 with shards of hardstone, then it can be changed into Sticky at Ed in 2-1. The best source of spiderstone in the game is the crystal gecko which spawns near the area with a big long group of scale miners and the steel shield in 2-1. It will spawn 1 time + 1 additional time per boss killed in Stonefang Tunnel for a total of 4 times. If it escapes without killing it, that counts toward your total of 4.

The only other way to get shards and chunks is as a rare drop from the scale miners which attack with fists. A good place to farm scale miners is the fork to the right from the Armor Spider archstone. You will need 25 shards, 9 chunks, and 1 pure spiderstone to level up compound long bow to +5 sticky.

Only 1 compound longbow is easily available per each game cycle unless you get it as a drop from a skeleton archer (and I don't think I ever had). All that has been used up so far is shards of hardstone and shards of clearstone (to make Quality +2) which can both be easily purchased from the filthy man merchant in Stonefang Tunnel.

bread's done
Back