Demon's Souls officially cheaper NEW than USED at GameStop

Unfortunately, I have to say this. Anyone who hasn't at least tried this game yet is a real sucker.

A REAL SUCKER.

I've been wanting Demon's Souls, but I have such a huge pile of unplayed games. I'm going to wait until it gets down to the $20 mark..

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']Unfortunately, I have to say this. Anyone who hasn't at least tried this game yet is a real sucker.

A REAL SUCKER.[/QUOTE]

Some of us don't like breaking controllers, thanks. :)
Seriously I watched someone play that at PAX East and it took any desire I ever had of playing it out of me.

^This

Thanks for the headsup OP..
Edit:
Gah... Damn you gamestop and your bad coupon system. Seems the 2 $10 off won't come off together, and nullify the 15new code.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Some of us don't like breaking controllers, thanks. :)
Seriously I watched someone play that at PAX East and it took any desire I ever had of playing it out of me.[/QUOTE]

It's really not that hard. Compared to some action game on it's highest difficulty, this game is much easier. The difficulty is not knowing, not your reflexes, for the most part.

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']Unfortunately, I have to say this. Anyone who hasn't at least tried this game yet is a real sucker.

A REAL SUCKER.[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, I feel like a sucker for giving into the hype and paying full price for it on day 1.

It fun and all, but difficultly should be fun and or a challenge, not an act of frustration. Only my thoughts of course, so /shrug

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']stupid topic, please close. this is ALWAYS the case at GS. Ugh, please OP, this isn't a deal or funny, stop flooding the board with garbage[/QUOTE]
What?

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']stupid topic, please close. this is ALWAYS the case at GS. Ugh, please OP, this isn't a deal or funny, stop flooding the board with garbage[/QUOTE]

It's a price drop, on a game people want.

Shut. the. fuck. up.

I felt like such a sucker for buying this game at launch (and the collector's edition no less.) What started out as a fun mash of Diablo and Zelda quickly turned into a train wreck of poor gameplay design choices. The same poor design decisions that plague the battle system in Final Fantasy XIII abound in Demon's Souls. It is possible to make a game both challenging and fun - I think most Shin Megami Tensei RPGs absolutely succeed at this. There is a point where challenge crosses over into bullshit. The onus should be on the PLAYER to make good decisions and succeed. If a game punishes a player excessively for experimenting or making tiny mistakes, the game designers have failed to create a cohesive gaming experience.

In Final Fantasy XIII, there are several points where the game can potentially one-shot you if you're unlucky, or set up your paradigms wrong. It seems to me that the designers' solution for this was to allow you to instantly retry any battle - a first for the series. To me, this feels like a patched hole - like the designers couldn't find a way to completely balance the game, and so that feature was slapped on at the last minute.

At least it HAS that feature though. Demon's Souls has dozens ways for you to either completely screw yourself, or lose massive amounts of progress, and there is no framework given by the game itself for success. You just have to keep going out there and getting punched in the nuts over and over and over until you figure out exactly what the game designers wanted you to do, or spend an afternoon in the library with the guide and wiki.

You shouldn't have to do hours of research before playing a game just to ensure that you don't fuck yourself over far into the game. Falling on NPCs is bullshit. Yurt is bullshit. Getting insta-killed by interacting with the environment is bullshit. I could go on and on. It's really a shame, because the underlying game is bloody wonderful.

[quote name='Hodaka']I've been wanting Demon's Souls, but I have such a huge pile of unplayed games. I'm going to wait until it gets down to the $20 mark..[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend getting it now, since the multiplayer is dying. The first few months I had it you'd get invaded like every 10-20 min in a level, now I'm lucky to get invaded at all. :cry:

Not only that, but who knows how long Atlus will keep the servers up? June of '10 was the last I read when I bought the game. It doesn't say to what date anymore though. (When you start it up, it USE to tell you how long the servers were going to be up, not anymore though)

They seem to have done the same to BioShock 2. The game-only and Special Edition dropped by $20 to $39.99 and $79.99, respectively. I noticed this and Demon's Souls on the Price Tracker last night, but the website hadn't actually updated. Apparently the Price Tracker picked up a drop before the GS website itself did :p

[quote name='mywhitenoise']You'd have to be a real IDIOT to pass up on this game for $40. A real IDIOT![/QUOTE]
This is the second time the price has dropped on this game in the past couple of months. Who's to say it won't get even cheaper in the near future?

[quote name='BarrettSan']I felt like such a sucker for buying this game at launch (and the collector's edition no less.) What started out as a fun mash of Diablo and Zelda quickly turned into a train wreck of poor gameplay design choices. The same poor design decisions that plague the battle system in Final Fantasy XIII abound in Demon's Souls. It is possible to make a game both challenging and fun - I think most Shin Megami Tensei RPGs absolutely succeed at this. There is a point where challenge crosses over into bullshit. The onus should be on the PLAYER to make good decisions and succeed. If a game punishes a player excessively for experimenting or making tiny mistakes, the game designers have failed to create a cohesive gaming experience.

In Final Fantasy XIII, there are several points where the game can potentially one-shot you if you're unlucky, or set up your paradigms wrong. It seems to me that the designers' solution for this was to allow you to instantly retry any battle - a first for the series. To me, this feels like a patched hole - like the designers couldn't find a way to completely balance the game, and so that feature was slapped on at the last minute.

At least it HAS that feature though. Demon's Souls has dozens ways for you to either completely screw yourself, or lose massive amounts of progress, and there is no framework given by the game itself for success. You just have to keep going out there and getting punched in the nuts over and over and over until you figure out exactly what the game designers wanted you to do, or spend an afternoon in the library with the guide and wiki.

You shouldn't have to do hours of research before playing a game just to ensure that you don't fuck yourself over far into the game. Falling on NPCs is bullshit. Yurt is bullshit. Getting insta-killed by interacting with the environment is bullshit. I could go on and on. It's really a shame, because the underlying game is bloody wonderful.[/QUOTE]

Falling on NPC's what part? Yurt is bullshit, there is no way to know what he does unless you research it. Environment insta-kill where? I don't think you're lying, I'm just wondering I can't remember. (Restarted new character after 4 months or so of not playing)

Like many have stated before me, Demons Souls isn't cheap, it punishes you for your mistakes.

over the last few years I have skipped out on playing RPG's as I haven't had the time to devote to them and I wanted quicker satisfaction.....
However, I still have loaded up on these RPG's when I could find good deals on them, so now my backlog is going to take me F'n forever to actually get through.

Dragon Age + expansion.
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Tales of Vesperia
Diagaea 3
Persona 3 and 4 (and PSP of 1)
Final Fantasy 13
Cross Edge
Oblivion
I'm screwed... never going to finish haha

wtf! wtf! Wtf! i just ordered this on saturday night with that 25% off $100 or more deal. now they drop the price a day later. even though it only a few dollars i still feel burned.

[quote name='Thrinn']This is the second time the price has dropped on this game in the past couple of months. Who's to say it won't get even cheaper in the near future?[/QUOTE]

Well not shit it will, every game eventually gets cheaper as time passes. This game was worth it at $60, it's worth it at $50, and it's worth it at $40.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I'd recommend getting it now, since the multiplayer is dying. The first few months I had it you'd get invaded like every 10-20 min in a level, now I'm lucky to get invaded at all. :cry:

Not only that, but who knows how long Atlus will keep the servers up? June of '10 was the last I read when I bought the game. It doesn't say to what date anymore though. (When you start it up, it USE to tell you how long the servers were going to be up, not anymore though)[/QUOTE]

When I first installed the game two weeks ago (Yes, I was late to the Demon's Souls party.) it told me that the contract was going to be supported by Sony's servers up until June. It doesn't tell me every time I start up though.

I would be peeved at this price drop since I just bought it except I used the 39% trick when I got it so I ended up paying $25.XX. The used copy I got was excellent so I didn't mind much.

I actually had people popping up in the first levels quite often. I was surprised since everyone was talking about how it was dying. I think it's leveled off, but there's still a decent community considering it's kind of a niche game. I do recommend, especially if the used drops a good $5-$10 as a result of this price drop.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Some of us don't like breaking controllers, thanks. :)
Seriously I watched someone play that at PAX East and it took any desire I ever had of playing it out of me.[/QUOTE]

I agree, everyone I know that has it, got so frustrated they wanted to throw the controller through the TV screen. A no buy for me, at any price, unless they patch it.

[quote name='linkmon']I agree, everyone I know that has it, got so frustrated they wanted to throw the controller through the TV screen. A no buy for me, at any price, unless they patch it.[/QUOTE]

This game is not that hard. I am one of the most average gamers out there, and I platinumed it. All you need is patience. The game isn't cheap, you need strategy and time to kill bosses.

reading some of these opinions make me really want to hold off buying this game until it hits the 20 or under mark. a game should be fun, not an all out test of personal patience. or maybe just wait for the inevitable bigger-brighter-better sequel.

The only problem with demons souls is that the bosses are so absurd, you pretty much HAVE to be cheap for most of them and just sit back for ranged combat

Otherwise, the game isn't really that hard. I'd rather play a strategic dungeon crawler like this than Ninja Gaiden 2 on a hard difficulty

[quote name='Diad']reading some of these opinions make me really want to hold off buying this game until it hits the 20 or under mark. a game should be fun, not an all out test of personal patience. or maybe just wait for the inevitable bigger-brighter-better sequel.[/QUOTE]

Yeah dude, obviously all of us giving this game praise weren't having fun playing this game. All those reviews and critical acclaim, they were bored as hell playing it.
Demon's Souls was probably the most boring and totally unfun 90 hours of my gaming life.
/s

[quote name='Diad']reading some of these opinions make me really want to hold off buying this game until it hits the 20 or under mark. a game should be fun, not an all out test of personal patience. or maybe just wait for the inevitable bigger-brighter-better sequel.[/QUOTE]

Patience and strategy. It's not that hard, simply put. I died a lot on infamous on hard, bayonetta on normal, darksiders on hard, yet I beat this game(after a lot of dieing). Yes you die a lot and yes that's by design. When you learn a level, and I mean know exact enemy placements, traps, shortcuts, you can zip through it in minutes. An entire world might take 60 minutes not including boss fights? That's only when you're exceptionally well versed in the game's mechanics and the level. You have to go slow, be methodical and realize the fighting is -not- an action game. Swinging wildly will get you killed.

If/when a sequel comes out, I don't know why you'd be more interested since it'll be at full price and most likely be just as difficult.

I'm not trying to champion the game but it seems like 80% of the people complaining about difficulty haven't even held the controller. I'd more sooner be throwing controllers over an action game or online shooter than this.

Did people just watch videos of bad players on this game or something? The game is not that hard. The developers designed the game with an internet connection in mind. It is supposed to be a game that makes you learn from mistakes you make and follow other people's examples. If you are playing online, the game is a bit easier because of bloodstains and messages left by other players.

THE GAME IS NOT HARD, you just have to think rather than a simple mashing of the X button all day.

I honestly think that proof of at least 30 minutes of play should be required before anybody is allowed to write a review anywhere...

[quote name='Unaki']If you are playing online, the game is a bit easier because of bloodstains and messages left by other players.
[/QUOTE]

Ah bloodstains. Haven't really thought about those for awhile. There are two different kind of bloodstains, really. You have those where the guy is serious, he's rolling, blocking, attacking but ultimately falls victim to whatever monster was or trap was there. Then you have the other. You'll see someone standing on a ledge, pondering over something, and then he hops off ;)

[quote name='Vortextk']Ah bloodstains. Haven't really thought about those for awhile. There are two different kind of bloodstains, really. You have those where the guy is serious, he's rolling, blocking, attacking but ultimately falls victim to whatever monster was or trap was there. Then you have the other. You'll see someone standing on a ledge, pondering over something, and then he hops off ;)[/QUOTE]
Well, not all of them are good and thats the same with messages. I feel sorry for the guy who actually stopped, read my message, then ran through the one room in 1-1 where the guy chucks a firebomb into an explosive cache. My message was "Run straight through"

Now I feel bad :[

Anyways, even if the people aren't totally serious and they are still fighting around a corner you can't see through, it can still help to know if they got killed by something after turning the corner.

I think that Vortextk has it right. It is patience you need for this game. It isnt hard in that you know what to do but you just cant do it. But it is hard if you dont have the patience to replay every level 10 or more times. I loved the look and feel of the game, but I got tired of replaying every level to get back to the same point only to die again at the next encounter and have to replay EVERYTHING again.

This is one of those games that is great for people with patience and intestinal fortitude. For the rest of us...well it gets frustrating (not boring). I have to many other games sitting around to play first before I go back to playing Demon's Souls. But I wil eventually get there.

$40 for this game is a great price, but if your easily frustrated playing the same thing over and over, go with another game for now.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']The only problem with demons souls is that the bosses are so absurd, you pretty much HAVE to be cheap for most of them and just sit back for ranged combat

Otherwise, the game isn't really that hard. I'd rather play a strategic dungeon crawler like this than Ninja Gaiden 2 on a hard difficulty[/QUOTE]

I disagree, a friend of mine is a melee whore. He played through the game seldom using a bow or magic. I will agree that "some" boss fights are cheap (Those giant stone gargoyle thingies that tend to knock you off of the bridge you're on) and you are either required to trial and error yourself through it, or just be damned good (if you're not going to utilize gimmicks).

Overall, I love the game...If Atlas is actually taking the servers down in a month I'll be very upset. fuck that.

I think you meant "a movie". Yeah, you were definitely talking about movies. I bet you couldn't wait for the louder-dumber-longer transformers sequel also...

lol. Games should require skill, games for kids should be, as you put it, "fun".

[quote name='Vortextk']Patience and strategy. Yes you die a lot and yes that's by design. When you learn a level, and I mean know exact enemy placements, traps, shortcuts, you can zip through it in minutes. An entire world might take 60 minutes not including boss fights? That's only when you're exceptionally well versed in the game's mechanics and the level. You have to go slow, be methodical and realize the fighting is -not- an action game. Swinging wildly will get you killed.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that the fact that you die a lot is part of the game design. Being petrified of what's around the next corner because you could lose everything you've been working for during your entire gaming session is also a part of the design. I simply feel that that these are poor design decisions. There are many other ways for game developers to create a sense of challenge and reward. The punishment this game doles out is equal to the challenge it offers, but not equal to the risk of just playing the game.

[quote name='wrencrest']I think that Vortextk has it right. It is patience you need for this game. It isnt hard in that you know what to do but you just cant do it. But it is hard if you dont have the patience to replay every level 10 or more times. I loved the look and feel of the game, but I got tired of replaying every level to get back to the same point only to die again at the next encounter and have to replay EVERYTHING again.

This is one of those games that is great for people with patience and intestinal fortitude. For the rest of us...well it gets frustrating (not boring). I have to many other games sitting around to play first before I go back to playing Demon's Souls. But I wil eventually get there.
[/QUOTE]

I found that the challenge was in both knowing what to do and actually doing it. The first time you play an area, you will inevitably reach areas that you will die at. Death and repetition is part of the learning process. This would be fine if the penalty were not so harsh. I found myself replaying the same levels over and over and crossing my fingers that I didn't die at the last place I died again. Replaying the levels again and again is just boring. Again, this is similar to fighting a boss over and over in FFXIII... but in that game, you can experiment and try new things because of the Retry option (even though you're constrained, just like Demon's Souls, by what the developers want you to do.)

Ultimately, many boss 'strategies' are just cheap tricks, ways to get around the massive disadvantage you are put into. How does that represent good game design?

Hmm, contemplating picking up Demon's Souls, Monster Hunter, and a Classic Controller Pro with the 25off for about $82. But then again maybe I should pick up the Black Phantom edition of DS as that would have a newer online community. Or maybe I shouldn't spend any more money lol. Ughh..didn't realize I'm back in the land of tax, which knocks this up to $90. Dunnoooooo..

Edit:[quote name='Dysheekie']Demon's Souls is the kind of game that makes you want to play Demon's Souls.[/QUOTE]
Didn't see this, very funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BarrettSan']I agree with you that the fact that you die a lot is part of the game design. Being petrified of what's around the next corner because you could lose everything you've been working for during your entire gaming session is also a part of the design. I simply feel that that these are poor design decisions. There are many other ways for game developers to create a sense of challenge and reward. The punishment this game doles out is equal to the challenge it offers, but not equal to the risk of just playing the game.[/QUOTE]

You don't lose everything, ever. You only lose the souls on you that have not been spent on leveling or equipment. You don't lose equipment. You can go back at every new archstone and spend souls if you choose to. You can grind souls and repeatedly go back to spend them. You get a spell(and possibly items? I forget, haven't played since I beat after launch) that can take you back to the hub world at any time. People play games like diablo II and sacred on hardcore, one minor glitch or lag spike can delete your 50+ hour character. I routinely read about people beating DMC or Ninja gaiden on their hardest modes. This game doesn't even compare.

bread's done
Back