Demon's Souls pricedrop $49.99 (44.49 now)

[quote name='ChestyMan']whoah I can get it at amazon for $20 if I get the amazon.com visa rewards card.
Does anybody have one of those? Is it a good idea to get one?[/QUOTE]

My friend does. It has a pretty good rewards system, probably really useful if you shop on Amazon a lot.

In for one for $39.99. Normally lately I don't pay more than $29.99 for a console game or $19.99 for a portable game, but this game has the indication of being worth $39.99. Wow, I actually spent money at Gamestop twice in one year, that's a first. (Bought Persona 4 last month). See, they did get rewarded after all for taking my 20 copies of FTF quicker than eBay would have! ;-)

[quote name='Unrealevil']+ ENT20 = $40 at GameStop.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, been waiting to bite on this game for a while.
*stares at backlog*

Ahhhhhh crap...........

[quote name='SteelSD']Agree again. The first 8-10 hours are simply brutal, but at hour 11 you figure out that it's not the game that sucks; it's YOU. The enemies aren't at all cheap. They're always in the same place and all have some pattern to exploit. Players can even cheap their own way through at least 4 of the bosses and multiple black phantom NPC's with a solid bow or ranged magic. [/QUOTE]Yep and honestly, that very reason is what made the game really not as hard as people tend to exaggerate it to be. I know this might even sound crazy, but I hoped in NG+ the enemies would have random spawn poinst, so everytime you enter a world, you're face with something completely different in a new location. It'd be then the game would be balls to the walls hard. :D

If they make a Demon's Souls 2, I really truly hope they add a feature like that! That's when we'd see dozen and dozens of videos on youtube with people breaking their disks is magnificent, horrific ways. :lol:

And the first time someone invades your world, it's a pulse-pounding experience. The first time you kill someone who invades your world is probably the single best video game moment of the last...well, nearly forever.
Oh boy, I absoltly agree. That brings me back to this black phantom fight I had in the game against a dude that, by the looks of his armor, weapons and magic, was clearly a higher level player than me. I was in world 5 (I think, the one with the Manta rays) where he finally caught up to me. It was there where we battled for like, 20-30 minutes just going back and forth, me dodging when I had to and being conscious of my stamina and him carefully as well as methodically attacking and blocking as he saw fit. It wasn't until a stray ray from on of the Manta's hit him and as he got up to attack, I just riposted the attack and killed him one shot.

I've been playnig games pretty much al my life and that was single handedly the greatest thing to ever happen to me in any single game. And I doubt it'll ever be topped...

Damn, now I feel like playing this game again!

got this game and went wanderer, stopped playing early in the game after beating the tower knight. gotta get back to this game sometime soon. The game is intense, i got invaded by another player and it was a long drawn out fight but i ended up winning lol

[quote name='ryushe']Yep and honestly, that very reason is what made the game really not as hard as people tend to exaggerate it to be. I know this might even sound crazy, but I hoped in NG+ the enemies would have random spawn poinst, so everytime you enter a world, you're face with something completely different in a new location. It'd be then the game would be balls to the walls hard. :D

If they make a Demon's Souls 2, I really truly hope they add a feature like that! That's when we'd see dozen and dozens of videos on youtube with people breaking their disks is magnificent, horrific ways. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah. That would be very cool; particularly if coupled with the ability to more easily choose your blue phantom partner. Send a direct invite and allow voice communication.

Some blue phantoms are ok, but others are complete douchebags. I remember the first time I ever summoned one- fourth stage of the first level (the stage before the blue dragon and final level boss). It was my first time through it, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Man, was that a mistake. The guy rushed through everything and left me to fend off two black phantom NPC's by myself. He scared away two geckos while "helping" and then got himself killed by an assassin at the first landing at the stairs. That's the kind of "help" I simply didn't need.

Oh boy, I absoltly agree. That brings me back to this black phantom fight I had in the game against a dude that, by the looks of his armor, weapons and magic, was clearly a higher level player than me. I was in world 5 (I think, the one with the Manta rays) where he finally caught up to me. It was there where we battled for like, 20-30 minutes just going back and forth, me dodging when I had to and being conscious of my stamina and him carefully as well as methodically attacking and blocking as he saw fit. It wasn't until a stray ray from on of the Manta's hit him and as he got up to attack, I just riposted the attack and killed him one shot.

I've been playnig games pretty much al my life and that was single handedly the greatest thing to ever happen to me in any single game. And I doubt it'll ever be topped...

Damn, now I feel like playing this game again!
That had to be awesome. I have to admit, the first time I experienced an invasion, I got over-anxious and rolled right off a bridge. The next couple of times were no less exciting and beating both of the invaders within five minutes of each other had me feeling like a world champion! Then five mintes later, I simply got destroyed by a more skilled player after I forgot to lock on while moving away (backstab!). He smashed a magic sword right through my shield and I panicked. That was a bad matchup against a more skilled (and prepared) opponent.

The cool thing is that all of those experiences are reasons to buy the game and a big reason why death in it isn't the annoyance it's made out to be. Generally, by the time you're at a high enough level to be killed by a more skilled invader, you've already figured out that the only way to avoid it is to improve.

[quote name='ianoid']Thanks for answering my question about online play of this game. It sounds very cool.

I meant 'hurry' as in what's the hurry to pick up the game, because I didn't realize what online components were consistent and which were real time.
[/QUOTE]

My pleasure. :) DS really is a unique game, and we all like spreading the gospel. LOL

The online is great, but I don't think it will make or break the experience for you. Plus, I wouldn't feel rushed because it's not like the game was ever hugely popular. It didn't sell well to begin with, and the price never came down, which kept the barrier to entry high. I picked it up a few months ago when random Targets stocked it and instantly clearanced it. I think that brought more players online. This price drop will do the same. But ultimately, unlike the flash-in-the-pan shooters, I think there will always be some folks playing DS. It has a hardcore fanbase who will always come back.

[quote name='Zippon']My pleasure. :) DS really is a unique game, and we all like spreading the gospel. LOL

The online is great, but I don't think it will make or break the experience for you. Plus, I wouldn't feel rushed because it's not like the game was ever hugely popular. It didn't sell well to begin with, and the price never came down, which kept the barrier to entry high. I picked it up a few months ago when random Targets stocked it and instantly clearanced it. I think that brought more players online. This price drop will do the same. But ultimately, unlike the flash-in-the-pan shooters, I think there will always be some folks playing DS. It has a hardcore fanbase who will always come back.[/QUOTE]

I thought it actually did sell well for a very niche title and the fact it was from Atlas who mainly sees success with Shin Megami Tensei stuff. While it obviously didn't sell CoD, Halo, etc. numbers, I know it sold the right amount and if not more so than what Atlus was expecting. SCEA even mentioned how they made a mistake of not bringing it over themselves due to the success of the game since Sony in Japan published it themselves. Though I am happy Atlus did the US release since I doubt we would have gotten the Deluxe edition otherwise.

Wow, Demon's Souls for $40? In for one. I don't think it'll go any lower without the possibility of it going OOP.

Bought this for a friend for Christmas and he quit after the first hour. Then again, I wouldn't go as far as to say he's a hardcore gamer. Can't wait to test it out myself.

[quote name='Asgardian']I brought this game day 1 but I still do not have a PS3 yet. I planned to play this maybe in 2-3 years time...

I just want to ask, is it possible to play this game without internet connection? I hope it is not one of those games that will not work once the online server is turned off.[/QUOTE]

You can play this game offline. Internet connection is not required. Thanks for pricedrop info, ordered one.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']For real, anyone who thinks this game is excrutiatingly difficult sucks at video games, bottom line.[/QUOTE]

No need to be insulting. It's pretty obvious that the average gamer that's played Demon's Souls finds it difficult. That doesn't mean they suck at video games, it just means you're better at the game than most people.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']For real, anyone who thinks this game is excrutiatingly difficult sucks at video games, bottom line.[/QUOTE]

There have been exactly ZERO comments about this game being too hard, so you and the others who keep making these comments should can it.

I'm with the poster earlier who didn't like it because he just didn't care for the style of the game. I played for about 5-6 hours and never died during that time - I just didn't find any compelling reason to keep going. Maybe it was the lack of a story or dialogue? The fact that you're dropped into the world with no clue who you are or what you're supposed to be doing and with little/no direction? I love taking things slowly, thinking through decisions, planning out my attack, etc. but this game did nothing for me.

I will say this about the difficulty though - The inability to pause pissed me off...that's just a giant middle finger to gamers who don't necessarily have the luxury of hours of uninterrupted game time.

I'm sure there will be endless flames in response. Maybe I will give it another shot over the summer.

[quote name='jacknicklson']You clear out a room in 30 seconds abd stand there
instant pause button in soul form
log out if in body form[/QUOTE]

That's not a pause - Let's say the doorbell rings and you're in the middle of a fight. Why should you be screwed over for that?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='S_DOG34']There have been exactly ZERO comments about this game being too hard, so you and the others who keep making these comments should can it.

I'm with the poster earlier who didn't like it because he just didn't care for the style of the game. I played for about 5-6 hours and never died during that time - I just didn't find any compelling reason to keep going. Maybe it was the lack of a story or dialogue? The fact that you're dropped into the world with no clue who you are or what you're supposed to be doing and with little/no direction? I love taking things slowly, thinking through decisions, planning out my attack, etc. but this game did nothing for me.

I will say this about the difficulty though - The inability to pause pissed me off...that's just a giant middle finger to gamers who don't necessarily have the luxury of hours of uninterrupted game time.

I'm sure there will be endless flames in response. Maybe I will give it another shot over the summer.[/QUOTE]

No flames from me... those were pretty much my thoughts when a friend of mine made me play it. I said "This is it? This is what everybody's raving about?" :roll: To me, it just felt like a WRPG with no story, bad controls, and some features to make the difficulty not more challenging, but more annoying.

edit: Oh hell, I forgot one thing that stood out. The physics. Oh god, are they terrible. If you kill something and run over it, the body will become entangled around your ankles and... I don't know how to describe it, it just looks absolutely ridiculous. I could not stop laughing. I'm sure there are videos on YouTube, just look it up.

[quote name='h2dk']"Demon’s Souls is a game that will make you into a man.[/QUOTE]
nuff said

[quote name='takotchi']No flames from me... those were pretty much my thoughts when a friend of mine made me play it. I said "This is it? This is what everybody's raving about?" :roll: To me, it just felt like a WRPG with no story, bad controls, and some features to make the difficulty not more challenging, but more annoying.

edit: Oh hell, I forgot one thing that stood out. The physics. Oh god, are they terrible. If you kill something and run over it, the body will become entangled around your ankles and... I don't know how to describe it, it just looks absolutely ridiculous. I could not stop laughing. I'm sure there are videos on YouTube, just look it up.[/QUOTE]
I tried to tell people this earlier but they just said Im not a "real pro gamer". I didnt know I had to be real to like the game. In my opinion the game just sucked, I never said it was too difficult either. The story was lacking, I didnt like the graphics much, the controls were terrible and laggy. If you tap attack twice, and it takes him 3 seconds to make his first move, then lets say well now I want to roll out of they way, oh wait, I forgot I hit attack twice so I have to watch him die as he goes through the qued actions.

weaksauce price drop.... PS3 games are so friggin' slow to lower the prices....Took Heavenly sword years to drop to 30!

Why people going off topic giving reviews if you don't get this game then don't ruin it for other people.

It is a very good dungeon crawler RPG. It does have story told through the NPC's and environment, and you can upgrade you character where he can do more then "two attacks"

Try harder please!

[quote name='DeathBringer']Why people going off topic giving reviews if you don't get this game then don't ruin it for other people.

It is a very good dungeon crawler RPG. It does have story told through the NPC's and environment, and you can upgrade you character where he can do more then "two attacks"

Try harder please![/QUOTE]

It's called warning people. You know, like that stupid system in the game where people can only use preset phrases :roll: to warn about traps 10 feet ahead of you.

"There is a bad game ahead!"

Seriously though, some people may like it, but it's a very niche game and people deserve to know that.

Agreed, takotchi, that's what the CAG community is here for. I, for one, appreciate all the reviews. I've heard a lot of great things about the game, but I don't want to make a $40 gamble on something which I may hate.

It sounds like playing through Demon's Souls similar to playing through God of War on God Mode difficulty? Meaning everything can kill you, you need a lot of patience, always blocking/dodging at the right time?

[quote name='takotchi']It's called warning people. You know, like that stupid system in the game where people can only use preset phrases :roll: to warn about traps 10 feet ahead of you.

"There is a bad game ahead!"

Seriously though, some people may like it, but it's a very niche game and people deserve to know that.[/QUOTE]

This. There was nothing but undying praise for the game in here so it's totally appropriate to have some other comments about why they didn't like the game. There needs to be a balance.

I wish that there had been more critique about the game before I bought it - would have saved me $60.

[quote name='timobkg']Agreed, takotchi, that's what the CAG community is here for. I, for one, appreciate all the reviews. I've heard a lot of great things about the game, but I don't want to make a $40 gamble on something which I may hate.

It sounds like playing through Demon's Souls similar to playing through God of War on God Mode difficulty? Meaning everything can kill you, you need a lot of patience, always blocking/dodging at the right time?[/QUOTE]
Trust me this is nothing like God of War on god mode, there is still at least some fun to be had on God of War. Your character in demons souls is not agile to the slightest and runs as fast as a goomba. Trust me, those are 2 totally different games.

[quote name='timobkg']Agreed, takotchi, that's what the CAG community is here for. I, for one, appreciate all the reviews. I've heard a lot of great things about the game, but I don't want to make a $40 gamble on something which I may hate.

It sounds like playing through Demon's Souls similar to playing through God of War on God Mode difficulty? Meaning everything can kill you, you need a lot of patience, always blocking/dodging at the right time?[/QUOTE]

Not really - the game is VERY slow. When people say it's a dungeon 'crawl', they mean it. GoW on god mode is like Ninja Gaiden Black on pretty much any difficulty. They take a lot of skill to play, but the gameplay is not really different than it is on the easier modes, it's just harder. With Demon's Souls, it takes a really methodical approach - to the point of walking around with your shield up the whole time. It's realistic and takes a lot of skill, but the gameplay is not for everyone.

As far as difficulty goes: I love hard games - I didn't like Demon's Souls.

S_DOG gives a good summary as far as keeping your shield up, slow pace, and the gameplay not appealing to everyone. Then again, no game appeals to everyone. ;)

DS is primarily about memorizing attack patterns. In that respect it's like a throwback to the classic games like early Mega Man. It's all about trial-and-error and long, unforgiving marathons. No pause or checkpoints is part of that spirit. I'm sure it bugs some gamers, but that's the point--there's no walking away from this game. When you play, you have to be invested. And that is unique and cool to me.

I would take comments of "I never died" and "I finished quickly" with...a grain of salt. Heh, heh. This is not a game you can finish quickly without cheating. Learning where the enemies are and their attack patterns takes multiple runs (not just one or two).
And the game pretty much demands you spend the first hour (or two or three) dead, so I gotta doubt your story S_DOG....
Not dying in DS is kind of like saying you beat Super Mario Bros without jumping. LOL.

Seriously, if someone is on the fence, check out some game review sites. There is plenty of professional commentary and video that should help make up your mind. But be forewarned that these guys who make their living playing games must all suck---cause they all mention how hard this game is!

Zippon has it right. It's not that Demon's Souls is INSANELY DIFFICULT. Survival is dependent on the player learning "how Demon’s Souls works.” This is easily my favorite PS3 game.

If you get good at this game, you never even need to use a shield. This game doesn't award button mashers. That's for sure. I wouldn't call the controls "laggy" in the least. It's no different from playing God of War, mashing buttons, realizing its time to dodge, but are stuck watching Kratos do an animation you can't cancel out of. Same thing here.

The guy runs just fine in Demon's Souls. The combat is WAY better than any Fable game, but is reminiscent of it. If you want to perform fast attacks, you need to use a different weapon. The bigger and heavier the weapon, the slower the attack.

If you get good at this game, it can be completed in about 10-12 hours. The first play through is around 25-30 as you are really getting acclimated to the game and how it's played. Once you learn the different levels, you can literally run through them.

The last 2 times I beat this game I didn't even have a shield equipped. Theres really no reason as you can either roll dodge or parry/reposte

[quote name='kurrptsenate']If you get good at this game, you never even need to use a shield. This game doesn't award button mashers. That's for sure. I wouldn't call the controls "laggy" in the least.[/QUOTE]

Good point. But you better be very, very good if not using a shield since you can be one-hit-killed by lots of guys. LOL. I'm not that good. I admit that up front. LOL

As for the lag, I'd say DS is not so much about lag as about committing to your choices. If you choose to thrust, you better be damn sure that's what you want to do. Just like a real fight, one wrong move is all it takes to end it. That's a huge mental hump to get over. But once you figure out the dance of combat, it's so gratifying.

All decisions are important, too. You can't just load up on the heaviest armor and highest damage weapon. I've never played an RPG like this where I carried a variety of weapons and rotated constantly. Striking from behind a shield w/a souped-up spear and using a curved sword to bypass shields are favorites. And armor/items will weigh you down to the point where running and rolling/dodging are almost impossible.

Again, anyone who dislikes this game is alright in my book. It's not for everybody. But it's so unique in modern gaming that it's definitely worth a closer look. :D

While I definitely can't agree why people don't like it since it's my favorite game, I do understand. That being said, there's things in the game like the Second Chance miracle that make it almost impossible to die. There are only a few enemies in the entire game that can one shot you, but that is completely dependent on your gear and how you leveled your character.

There is very little margin for error in this game, but I feel that's a good thing. Also, the online multiplayer is probably the best, most unique experience that has come along in a VERY long time. If you get good enough at using hyper mode, nothing stops you from 1-2 shotting ANY enemy in the game, including bosses.

With great risks come great rewards.

I guess I suck at it so I'd say it is difficult and I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a casual gamer. However, I'm over dying often. It was frustrating at the beginning. I'm only at 2-1 and that world, so far, is a bit tougher because it's a bit harder to roll/dodge as there is not a lot of space. I guess my lack of technique of parry/reposte is probably hindering my quicker advancement through the game if I had to point out a weakness in my gaming. Been splitting my time between leveling and exploring 2-1...and dying of course.

Sometimes I envy the guys getting through games in 10 hours (I tend to average about 15-18 for comparison) but I think I tend to look around and think about my next move a lot during my first playthroughs. It's not helping much in DS as you still get damaged and "lose" stamina if you just sit and block.

Having said that, there is enjoyment as I figure out how to fight certain foes and I just protect myself from losing souls by dying in places I can get to easily. It's not for everyone for sure.

The first time I played through the game, using a long spear helped in that I could attack from range and maintain a constant block while doing so. I progressed out of that, but I would try it out

[quote name='Zippon']And the game pretty much demands you spend the first hour (or two or three) dead, so I gotta doubt your story S_DOG....[/QUOTE]

Hah - fair enough. I suppose my comment isn't totally genuine. I didn't die because I couldn't sit down and play it very often so I kept redoing the same part over and over. Getting to the top of that first tower without dying isn't particular difficult - just requires a lot of patience. What you commented on a strength (that you can't pause and have to be totally immersed in the game) is a weakness for me because I simply don't have the time to do that.

That should probably be mentioned to potential buyers - if you can't give this attention enough for fairly long (and uninterrupted) play sessions, you may not like it.

The fact that you HAVE to die during the tutorial is pretty lame though.

This + LittleBigPlanet = Two best games on the PS3, hands down.

The difficulty in this game isn't extreme, unless you goof around and turn your world tendacies to pure black constantly (me). Sorry, it's just too much fun logging online, invading someone's world, then killing them in an incredibly odd fashion (throwing them off of a roof with spells) :D ;) :d OMFG I NEED TO PLAY THIS MORE>!!>

[quote name='S_DOG34']Hah - fair enough. I suppose my comment isn't totally genuine. I didn't die because I couldn't sit down and play it very often so I kept redoing the same part over and over. Getting to the top of that first tower without dying isn't particular difficult - just requires a lot of patience. What you commented on a strength (that you can't pause and have to be totally immersed in the game) is a weakness for me because I simply don't have the time to do that.

That should probably be mentioned to potential buyers - if you can't give this attention enough for fairly long (and uninterrupted) play sessions, you may not like it.

[/QUOTE]

Except if you maul that giant lard-ass, then at least you die in a comical fashion...Can anyone say "Falcon.......PUNCH!"?

[quote name='S_DOG34']That should probably be mentioned to potential buyers - if you can't give this attention enough for fairly long (and uninterrupted) play sessions, you may not like it.
[/QUOTE]

Again, this is simply untrue. Aside from a boss fight, there are rare occasions where you can't stop within a few seconds by simply clearing out enemies or running back far enough to be undetected. Just quit the game and you can pick up right where you left off. The save\quit anywhere feature completely makes up for the lack of pause button as I am a huge believer that all games should let you save anywhere since we all have lives.

Being a family man, my time is always limited and I never once had a problem.

[quote name='S_DOG34']Hah - fair enough. I suppose my comment isn't totally genuine. I didn't die because I couldn't sit down and play it very often so I kept redoing the same part over and over. Getting to the top of that first tower without dying isn't particular difficult - just requires a lot of patience. What you commented on a strength (that you can't pause and have to be totally immersed in the game) is a weakness for me because I simply don't have the time to do that.

[/QUOTE]

This game is great, once you get used to rolling, dodging, and attacking at the right moment the game isn't too hard.
I've also killed the tutorial boss without being hit, you get extra items for doing so, then you'll come against one of the last world boss (won't spoil it) and you'll die instantly.

[quote name='Myv']This game is great, once you get used to rolling, dodging, and attacking at the right moment the game isn't too hard.
I've also killed the tutorial boss without being hit, you get extra items for doing so, then you'll come against one of the last world boss (won't spoil it) and you'll die instantly.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for months my friend who bought it before me, told me he was unbeatable and at some point during the fight he'd auto-kill you. I showed his wussie ass who the better player was :D

[quote name='thehoweller']Yeah, for months my friend who bought it before me, told me he was unbeatable and at some point during the fight he'd auto-kill you. I showed his wussie ass who the better player was :D[/QUOTE]

Haha, nice.

Weapon upgrades vs monsters weaknesses are really important in this game, if you know what they are weak to you can do 2x the normal damage and most of the time that means a one shot to them. Annoying part is you have to hunt those stupid crystal lizards for stones, make sure you kill the bosses in the world to up the lizard count and go back to kill and reload and kill etc. so you don't accidentally scare them off and miss them.

I'm on NG++ at about 130 hours. Trying to plat it but will probably take forever due to my first runthrough wasting stones/colorless souls

I have a copy of the Deluxe Edition coming from Goozex that I will probably sleep with at night.

Seriously though this game IS Hard. But thats kinda the point of the entire game. It's extremely satisfying and not cheap.

You'll be sweating bullets when you walk into a new area with 100k souls and wonder if you can make it to the boss without losing all those souls and starting the level over. Then when you get to the boss you are pretty much doomed as not knowing a boss's technique should almost be instant death.

It's an addictive game though. Best I've played in ages maybe ever

[/QUOTE]

Regarding the spoiler u mentioned, I actually think that is an amazing touch of how the world in the Demon Souls is like

Best game of last year, and my only game on the PS3. *wistful sigh*

Game is not *THAT* hard once you learn it. The learning curve, however, is like a brick wall. It took me 5 hours to beat the first level of the first world.

All of the environments are incredible. They have a great sense of place, and create so much despair for the player. The number of unique weapons (that actually play differently) and unique monsters (not just re-skinned with more hps) is awesome (I'm looking at your Borderlands). Add to that the great magic system, armor sets, some really rewarding online play, and you have so such a great game.

[quote name='ChestyMan']whoah I can get it at amazon for $20 if I get the amazon.com visa rewards card.
Does anybody have one of those? Is it a good idea to get one?[/QUOTE]

It's the only card I use. :)

People give up too easily that's the only problem with this game.

Once you beat the first area, then you can level up, buy as many healing items as you need, and play online and get help from people.

The game gets much easier, and fun to play!

bread's done
Back