Demon's Souls pricedrop $49.99 (44.49 now)

At the end it also depends what types and genre of you games are u interested in.Some times you like shooter, sometimes u like slow paced games and sometimes u want to play something totally different, Right now I am just tired of fps, and dont really play them as much as before.Right now anything as new ip or different will attract more people and fans of genre because mostly we seeing are 2 and 3 of games so new games like demon souls are refreshing but at the end it all depends on the taste and patience.

You both have a point, but the nuance is that "hype" has a negative connotation. I think of "hype" as PR--claims made by people who's purpose is to make the item sound good (whether it is or not). There's a big difference between that an actual customer feedback from your own peer group. Yes, if the feedback is overwhelmingly positive it may set a high expectation, but that is true of anything. Hype sets a high expectation with a lot less credibility. ;)

[quote name='Zippon']:bs:

Well, "all my friends" bought 10 copies and loved it so much they sleep with them at night. And my beautiful girlfriend, who is from Canada, also loves it, and she never plays games at all.

Seriously?

I can maybe believe you put in the time and trouble to complete the game despite disliking so much. But now "all your friends" bought it (a game few people even heard of), played it, FINISHED it, and disliked/hated it? Riiiiight. Sounds like you are making %$&# up so you can find more fictional support against this "cult".

Let's just stick to the facts:
* most CAGs not only liked it, but loved it
* most game reviewers loved it (metascore 89)
* Gamespot named it GOTY 2009
* a handful of CAGs found it average or disliked it

And no, I'm not a fanboi or a cultist. I just view "all my friends hated it" comments with great suspicion when the majority liked something. I don't think second-hand stuff like that adds to a productive conversation.[/QUOTE]

I'm going against your favorite game so I must be a liar, gotcha. Oh, but you're NOT a fanboy or cultist, got it. Merely an impartial steward objectively pointing out that Demon Souls is the greatest, most universally liked game of all time.

I thought we were past the point where we took reviewers opinions that seriously.

[quote name='kosmos13x']So my gf goes to gamestop to buy it new today so we can play online together. Well apparently they gave her a gutted copy with the tape seal over it. She gets hope and *surprise* she gets a used copy of dead space instead.... Then the store had the balls to tell her over the phone that she was lying and she is trying to scam the store over and threatened to pursue action.

I'm going over with her to the store tomorrow to make sure its taken care of, but some of these gs employees are the ones that deserve some freaking jail time for the crap they pull.[/QUOTE]

I would've FLIPPED out, went back to that store and made the biggest scene possible. I hate GS, their tactics, and the attitudes their employees seem to have as if they're always talking down to you. I don't shop there anymore, for anything. Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but that story pokes me in the wrong spot.

[quote name='Zippon']You both have a point, but the nuance is that "hype" has a negative connotation. I think of "hype" as PR--claims made by people who's purpose is to make the item sound good (whether it is or not). There's a big difference between that an actual customer feedback from your own peer group. Yes, if the feedback is overwhelmingly positive it may set a high expectation, but that is true of anything. Hype sets a high expectation with a lot less credibility. ;)[/QUOTE]

This.

Hype generated by PR is usually from marketing posters, promotional videos and outrageous claims and promises.(John Romero) This generally has a negative connotation.

Hype generated by the mass consumer is usually from huge amount of satisfied consumers. This generally represents positive qualities.

The later has much more credibility as it's the result AFTER people, like you and I, have already spent the money and felt it is money well spent. Don't confuse the two type of hypes. :)

[quote name='XClaude']Hype generated by the mass consumer is usually from huge amount of satisfied consumers. This generally represents positive qualities.

The later has much more credibility as it's the result AFTER people, like you and I, have already spent the money and felt it is money well spent. Don't confuse the two type of hypes. :)[/QUOTE]

I think you're oversimplifying it. You need only look at Digg and similar nonsense to see that the hive-mind of people on the internets swarming over one or two things of niche appeal can blow things out of proportion.

And those same people who pour adoration on probably have such searing hatred for games like MW2 despite never actually playing them.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'm going against your favorite game so I must be a liar, gotcha. Oh, but you're NOT a fanboy or cultist, got it. Merely an impartial steward objectively pointing out that Demon Souls is the greatest, most universally liked game of all time.

I thought we were past the point where we took reviewers opinions that seriously.[/QUOTE]

cool straw man bro :roll:

been dying to get this game but $50 new is still too much for my liking.....cant wait till this game drops off price a little bit more....

[quote name='Ktraze']been dying to get this game but $50 new is still too much for my liking.....cant wait till this game drops off price a little bit more....[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt be surprise that this game will reach the 40 dollar mark in the coming months seeing that this game has been out for a little while now. Usually once they begin dropping, it starts on a roll of more drops over time. Who knows though. It was worth 60 to me but I can understand if it's not for everyone or worth the full price dollar (as can be said for any game :)).

Are you guys drunk or something? Demon's Souls is by far the most aggravatingly horrible game I have played in a long time. First, you can't pause the game, or aim your weapons. That really pissed me off. And secondly, and lastly, the whole game is spent cashing in countless hours just to memorize where things are in the overly long stages so you can dodge random shit that pops out of no where (where the fuck did the cannonballs come from in the first stage that hit you from behind the shins and kill you instantly? Did God drop them?) And when you finally spend enough time figuring out what to dodge throughout the whole stage/saving enough health packs/crying about how frustrating the game is, you get to an ultra-gay boss, who if you don't kill first thing you have to go through the whole stage again.

Wow yea, I really want to waste 120+ hours in a mediocre game who's only claim to fame is being "hard." You could beat at least two games with amazing story lines in the amount of time it takes to get halfway through this piece of shit.

[quote name='kvntwvlf']Are you guys drunk or something? Demon's Souls is by far the most aggravatingly horrible game I have played in a long time. First, you can't pause the game, or aim your weapons. That really pissed me off. And secondly, and lastly, the whole game is spent cashing in countless hours just to memorize where things are in the overly long stages so you can dodge random shit that pops out of no where (where the fuck did the cannonballs come from in the first stage that hit you from behind the shins and kill you instantly? Did God drop them?) And when you finally spend enough time figuring out what to dodge throughout the whole stage/saving enough health packs/crying about how frustrating the game is, you get to an ultra-gay boss, who if you don't kill first thing you have to go through the whole stage again.

Wow yea, I really want to waste 120+ hours in a mediocre game who's only claim to fame is being "hard." You could beat at least two games with amazing story lines in the amount of time it takes to get halfway through this piece of shit.[/QUOTE]
Your fucking terrible at the game, stop playing. My first playthrough was 25 hours and I did it melee only (and was pretty thorough in picking up items and exploring). If you take it slow and keep aware of your surroundings you will beat many of the levels without dieing at all. The first and second level are tests that teach you everything you need to know about the game. If your taking 10+ hours to get past those first two levels just stop playing and give the game to someone who isn't a retard.

Demon's Souls claim to fame is taking a shit on every other RPG released this generation and being one of the most fair challenges this generation has to offer, while offering unique and satisfying gameplay.

[quote name='kvntwvlf']Are you guys drunk or something? Demon's Souls is by far the most aggravatingly horrible game I have played in a long time. First, you can't pause the game, or aim your weapons. That really pissed me off. And secondly, and lastly, the whole game is spent cashing in countless hours just to memorize where things are in the overly long stages so you can dodge random shit that pops out of no where (where the fuck did the cannonballs come from in the first stage that hit you from behind the shins and kill you instantly? Did God drop them?) And when you finally spend enough time figuring out what to dodge throughout the whole stage/saving enough health packs/crying about how frustrating the game is, you get to an ultra-gay boss, who if you don't kill first thing you have to go through the whole stage again.

Wow yea, I really want to waste 120+ hours in a mediocre game who's only claim to fame is being "hard." You could beat at least two games with amazing story lines in the amount of time it takes to get halfway through this piece of shit.[/QUOTE]
If it is such a piece of shit, then how come everyone loves it but you?

lol @ you complaining about the cannonballs. If you weren't such a retard you could have hit it with your sword to release them to crush the enemies. Some people don't suck at the game, unlike you.

The feeling of accomplishment people get after killing a boss or invading black phantom, comes from the game being challenging, and not easy.

Also, the game isn't impossible like you say it is, since lots of people have beaten it, and platinumed it, like me.

You suck and go play your Haloez. That should be easy enough for you.

ahhh..to all the people that seem to hate the game, ill take it off your hands for a reasonable price...maybe less than 20 for such a horrible game would count as a bargain for you, no?

Sounds like you're mad that you suck at video games.

FYI: Those cannonballs came from a trap that your dumb ass probably sprinted past.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'm going against your favorite game so I must be a liar, gotcha. Oh, but you're NOT a fanboy or cultist, got it. Merely an impartial steward objectively pointing out that Demon Souls is the greatest, most universally liked game of all time.

I thought we were past the point where we took reviewers opinions that seriously.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Really?

Fanboys are pretty common online. But know what's more common? The "cool" guys who hate on whatever is popular. I was merely pointing out that your personal opinion is totally valid (DS isn't for everyone), but you started pulling support out of your arse because you were overwhelmed by all the positive comments here. "All my friends played it, finished it, and hated it."? Bull. And now the game is bad because reviewers universally liked it? Again, sounds like you are having a knee-jerk "cool kid" reaction to this just to be contrarian.

I totally believe you disliked the game. I liked it. Not the best game in the universe (the exaggeration you put in my mouth), but I liked it very much. As did most of the CAGs in this thread. As did most every reviewer who played it. Let's leave the fictional "all my friends" out of it and just stick to the facts. Okay? ;)

[quote name='kvntwvlf'](where the fuck did the cannonballs come from in the first stage that hit you from behind the shins and kill you instantly? Did God drop them?)[/QUOTE]

THIS is what defines a good player vs a bad player. THIS is also the reason why Demon Soul's is so good.

The game doesn't "cheat" you like many other games. When you die, you know EXACTLY why you died and at the same time, you probably know EXACTLY how to prevent that from happening... You just didn't... Well... at least in MY play throughs, I can identify all that the instant I died. I will admit that it isn't perfect, so there are times I would yell, "how the fuck am I suppose to know THAT?". But those moments are few to rare.

The "cannonballs" scenario you highlighted is one of many prime examples of how good you play your game -- your gamer skill so to speak. I didn't die there. I came. I saw. I whack the wooden barrier with my sword. I watched the suckers die and laughed. :) THOSE are the moments that I felt I've out smarted the game. THAT's what makes it fun. A challenging game that refuse to spoon fed you, but yet, you out smart it without falling for its many tricks. To me, THAT is the addictive accomplishments the game provides for me. I did die... and died the most in world 1-1, but that's when the game taught me one simple rule: "you fuck up. you die. mistakes are not tolerated here."

I think this game requires some real brain power to game. It's a new concept to current gamer generation where hand held tutorials are abundantly available even in the later stages.

PS: for the folks on the fence about the game... the above "cannonball" reference is one of many instances where interesting "messages" can be written and read while online. You may find a simple word next to the said item simply stating: "Attack!" You gotta use your brain to figure out what the message means.

used my free BB rental on it... had to try it... it wasn't for me.

I didnt die that much and its certainly not that hard if you play how it demands you play, but I'm just not much of an RPG person to begin with.

took too much time exploring... which yes i know of course is what an RPG is all about. i didnt like that i had to save and quit any time i had to piss or something came up i had to attend to in my home. tried leaving the controller alone when i thought i was clear once and those dogs came and got me, lol. i also dont like that if you get to a boss you have to start over from the beginning and run through everything.

i knew all this going in and wanted to give it a go... it seems like an excellent game for anyone who enjoys RPGs... again just not for me, same with fallout.

i was hypnotized with this thread and reviews and thought i needed to play it even though i wasnt much into rpgs. mistake... but a free one at that. if you like rpgs dont know how you could go wrong though.

[quote name='Zippon']You both have a point, but the nuance is that "hype" has a negative connotation. I think of "hype" as PR--claims made by people who's purpose is to make the item sound good (whether it is or not). There's a big difference between that an actual customer feedback from your own peer group. Yes, if the feedback is overwhelmingly positive it may set a high expectation, but that is true of anything. Hype sets a high expectation with a lot less credibility. ;)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='XClaude']This.

Hype generated by PR is usually from marketing posters, promotional videos and outrageous claims and promises.(John Romero) This generally has a negative connotation.

Hype generated by the mass consumer is usually from huge amount of satisfied consumers. This generally represents positive qualities.

The later has much more credibility as it's the result AFTER people, like you and I, have already spent the money and felt it is money well spent. Don't confuse the two type of hypes. :)[/QUOTE]

Hype from PR and advertising has developed a negative connotation, whereas hype from consumers can go either way. I'm not saying people here are wrong in their feedback about the game. As I said hype can be a good thing in this example. It just creates huge expectations. I haven't confused what hype is. Anything that people like a lot will develop hype. But not everyone will enjoy it as much as those who enjoy it the most. This thread has shown that many did not enjoy the game that much. All I meant was that I hope I enjoy it as much as the majority do.

[quote name='schnoo']this game is now $39.99 at gamestop... reported on kotaku[/QUOTE]

Still showing 49.99 on gamestop website.

[quote name='schnoo']this game is now $39.99 at gamestop... reported on kotaku[/QUOTE]
It's still priced at $49.99. This "report" on Kotaku mentions that it's $39.99 if you use the 20% off coupon code.

"You can now pay $20 less to die 1,000 percent more than you do in other games. Demon's Souls (PS3 exclusive) is $39.99 at GameStop with coupon code ENT20."

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Sounds like you're mad that you suck at video games.

FYI: Those cannonballs came from a trap that your dumb ass probably sprinted past.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Apoxxle']Your fucking terrible at the game, stop playing. My first playthrough was 25 hours and I did it melee only (and was pretty thorough in picking up items and exploring). If you take it slow and keep aware of your surroundings you will beat many of the levels without dieing at all. The first and second level are tests that teach you everything you need to know about the game. If your taking 10+ hours to get past those first two levels just stop playing and give the game to someone who isn't a retard.

Demon's Souls claim to fame is taking a shit on every other RPG released this generation and being one of the most fair challenges this generation has to offer, while offering unique and satisfying gameplay.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='XClaude']THIS is what defines a good player vs a bad player. THIS is also the reason why Demon Soul's is so good.

The game doesn't "cheat" you like many other games. When you die, you know EXACTLY why you died and at the same time, you probably know EXACTLY how to prevent that from happening... You just didn't... Well... at least in MY play throughs, I can identify all that the instant I died. I will admit that it isn't perfect, so there are times I would yell, "how the fuck am I suppose to know THAT?". But those moments are few to rare.

The "cannonballs" scenario you highlighted is one of many prime examples of how good you play your game -- your gamer skill so to speak. I didn't die there. I came. I saw. I whack the wooden barrier with my sword. I watched the suckers die and laughed. :) THOSE are the moments that I felt I've out smarted the game. THAT's what makes it fun. A challenging game that refuse to spoon fed you, but yet, you out smart it without falling for its many tricks. To me, THAT is the addictive accomplishments the game provides for me. I did die... and died the most in world 1-1, but that's when the game taught me one simple rule: "you fuck up. you die. mistakes are not tolerated here."

I think this game requires some real brain power to game. It's a new concept to current gamer generation where hand held tutorials are abundantly available even in the later stages.

PS: for the folks on the fence about the game... the above "cannonball" reference is one of many instances where interesting "messages" can be written and read while online. You may find a simple word next to the said item simply stating: "Attack!" You gotta use your brain to figure out what the message means.[/QUOTE]

And this is plain and simple why most folks can't stand Demon Souls fans. What an unending batch of smug douchebaggery. MOST HARDCORE GAME EVER CREATED, blah blah blah.

You seriously thought you outsmarted the game with that cannonball trap? Outsmarting the game is rolling off the roof of the first Shrine level and skipping most of the stage. Doing precisely what the game expected you to do doesn't really count.

And no, there's no real logic to that trap. You either trigger it before, or you go halfway down and it magically triggers without any input from you (No tripwire, no pressure plate, no enemy back up top triggering it.).

And the worst part is that Demon Souls isn't even that hard. It's quite easy to deal with just about everything in the game if you realize what the dodge button is for. DMC, Bayonetta, and even Ninja Gaiden are much more taxing. Demon Souls isn't any better thought out than those games, and in many situations it is worse thought out, all it does is ensure that pretty much everything is a one-shot kill, and you usually then have to deal with a 10 minute turnaround for half the levels that actually have something capable of killing you.

Demon Souls isn't any more fair, more genius, whatever than the average dodge-heavy action game.

Oh, and I can name one portion where the game punishes you with something that you can't figure out the first couple times: Late in the first world, an irritating dragon keeps firing flame waves across a catwalk in a robotic fashion. If you do the smart thing and run immediately after the wave leaves so you'll be behind it, the dragon will change-up halfway down and you'll get fried. You need to start your run a bit later than the earliest you can to actually make it.

[quote name='Zippon']LOL. Really?

Fanboys are pretty common online. But know what's more common? The "cool" guys who hate on whatever is popular. I was merely pointing out that your personal opinion is totally valid (DS isn't for everyone), but you started pulling support out of your arse because you were overwhelmed by all the positive comments here. "All my friends played it, finished it, and hated it."? Bull. And now the game is bad because reviewers universally liked it? Again, sounds like you are having a knee-jerk "cool kid" reaction to this just to be contrarian.

I totally believe you disliked the game. I liked it. Not the best game in the universe (the exaggeration you put in my mouth), but I liked it very much. As did most of the CAGs in this thread. As did most every reviewer who played it. Let's leave the fictional "all my friends" out of it and just stick to the facts. Okay? ;)[/QUOTE]
Ha ha, oh wow. I guess there's not a lot I can say to you, bro. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

It took me about 8 plays through the game to figure out on my own how to skip most of 4-1.

Anyhow, he was just saying about the cannonball part, of the player blaming the game and saying it is a bad game because they weren't smart enough to release the cannonballs.

And the dragon on 1-2 was pretty tricky on the last part, especially with the enemies at the end, but I didn't give up and I conquered.

People give up too easily, and they like their games to play themselves. What sense of accomplishment does this give anyone?

[quote name='XClaude']

PS: for the folks on the fence about the game... the above "cannonball" reference is one of many instances where interesting "messages" can be written and read while online. You may find a simple word next to the said item simply stating: "Attack!" You gotta use your brain to figure out what the message means.[/QUOTE]
Yea, too bad I was too damn tired from getting that far in the stage to realize some magical way cannonballs can form out of air and trip me.

Oh, and all the "messages" I saw made no sense. You can only select pre-selected words to form a "message," and if you take time to read the nonsensical messages, you end up dieing 4 out of 5 times.

[quote name='Apoxxle']Your fucking terrible at the game, stop playing. [/QUOTE]
I didn't buy the game, I played it for about 3 hours at my friend's house one night. He paid $60 for it, and sold it a few days later for $20 after getting just as pissed.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Sounds like you're mad that you suck at video games.

FYI: Those cannonballs came from a trap that your dumb ass probably sprinted past.[/QUOTE]
The point I am trying to make is no matter how far you get, there is always 5 more "obstacles" waiting for you around each corner. How "fun" can it be just taking tons of time going through a stage just to memorize each and every nook and cranny so you can eventually run through and dodge stuff?
[quote name='neuropunk']

Also, the game isn't impossible like you say it is, since lots of people have beaten it, and platinumed it, like me.
[/QUOTE]
Hope you have more fun beating off to your platinum trophies than I do actually playing worthwhile games that don't have a generic medieval plot and horrible replay value.

[quote name='kvntwvlf']I didn't buy the game, I played it for about 3 hours at my friend's house one night. He paid $60 for it, and sold it a few days later for $20 after getting just as pissed.

The point I am trying to make is no matter how far you get, there is always 5 more "obstacles" waiting for you around each corner. How "fun" can it be just taking tons of time going through a stage just to memorize each and every nook and cranny so you can eventually run through and dodge stuff?[/QUOTE]
I can blaze through 1-1 and kill phalanx no problem. Other people also don't really have a problem with it, like you do either. So, you should blame yourself and not the game.

[quote name='neuropunk']I can blaze through 1-1 and kill phalanx no problem. Other people also don't really have a problem with it, like you do either. So, you should blame yourself and not the game.[/QUOTE]
Yea I guess I'm just a cocksucking loser for not liking to basically play a 3D version of minesweeper.

Well, I'm just glad you finally admit to it. I have played Minesweeper before, but don't remember what it is like since it's been at least 15 years since I've played it. Not sure how it's like Demon's Souls. ;)

Freakin' A, I still want the Deluxe one, even though it's "out of print"...people kept talking about how Atlus has a history of reissuing prints so it was/is possible they'll rerelease some Deluxe ones (they're like $200 or more on Ebay), so that and lack of funds prevented me from plunking down anything for the regular edition...Hmm. I still would prefer the Deluxe Edition if possible, but it seems as though the chances are that I'll have to settle for the regular edition just to get it.

[quote name='BWS1982']Freakin' A, I still want the Deluxe one, even though it's "out of print"...people kept talking about how Atlus has a history of reissuing prints so it was/is possible they'll rerelease some Deluxe ones (they're like $200 or more on Ebay), so that and lack of funds prevented me from plunking down anything for the regular edition...Hmm. I still would prefer the Deluxe Edition if possible, but it seems as though the chances are that I'll have to settle for the regular edition just to get it.[/QUOTE]

Atlus reprints their games in general far more now than they used to, but they always stressed the Deluxe would be a one-time print run. If there are two versions of a game, or if the first print comes with a soundtrack, chances are any reprints will be game-only.

I hated Demon's Souls the first time I played it but it slowly grew on me. And I hated Oblivion, Fallout 3 etc etc. I like this game because its not a true RPG. Its kind of a at your own pace kind of game. You do stuff when you want and you can go back to areas to practice. After playing for like 2 hours since Deccember. The past week I have put over 16 hours into the game. Its just that good.

People who judge the game over 2-3 hour of play just need to take a break and then play it again because it seriously is very fun.

Amazing game! Got about halfway through it when my PS3's HD got corrupted, so I lost my save file! Argh.

Holding off on starting up again because I won't want to stop.

Worth twice MSRP, imho.

I picked this up with the ENT20 coupon code. I also added LittleBigPlanet GOTY edition and the code was applied to that as well, even though it wasn't 49.99 or higher. So I got both games for about $68.

[quote name='kvntwvlf']Are you guys drunk or something? Demon's Souls is by far the most aggravatingly horrible game I have played in a long time. First, you can't pause the game, or aim your weapons. That really pissed me off.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you couldn't figure out how to aim ranged weapons, I'll bet you had a hard time. But the game allows both auto-lock and manual aiming for bows. While learning, auto-lock is your friend.

I didn't buy the game, I played it for about 3 hours at my friend's house one night.

Seriously, two people sitting together for three hours and neither of you could figure out how to aim weapons? The game is much harder if you don't know how the controls work. But that's not a game issue. That's a "You" issue.

[quote name='kvntwvlf']Yea, too bad I was too damn tired from getting that far in the stage to realize some magical way cannonballs can form out of air and trip me.

Oh, and all the "messages" I saw made no sense. You can only select pre-selected words to form a "message," and if you take time to read the nonsensical messages, you end up dieing 4 out of 5 times.[/QUOTE]

The cannonballs didn't appear out of nowhere, they were in that little shed thingie. If you attack the door of the shed, they roll out and kill the enemies located there.

And I never died while reading one of the messages, so I don't know where you came up with that one.

Seriously, it's alright to not like this game. It's not for everyone. But it really sounds like you're just trying to come up with random, untrue shit just for the sake of arguing a pointless argument.

Got it for $30 used with the 25 off $100+ (with assassin's creed 2 + Ratchet & Clank). It's gotten better after the first boss, but that initial hour and a half before you can level was a pretty awful experience. I really hope the rest of the bosses aren't like the Phalanx, wasn't that hard, just really tedious/time consuming running in circles for 40 minutes picking off enough of his minions individually before you can stab his ample love handles.

You could've smeared Phalanx a lot quicker throwing firebombs at him.

The rest of the game does go a bit quicker though, but there is still plenty of time-wasting nonsense.

Note the first level of each world is the easiest enemy hp/dmg-wise, so the second level of world 1 might be a bit tough, actually. You can do it but you should always consider cutting off to one of the other worlds.

[quote name='SteelSD']Well, if you couldn't figure out how to aim ranged weapons, I'll bet you had a hard time. But the game allows both auto-lock and manual aiming for bows. While learning, auto-lock is your friend.

Seriously, two people sitting together for three hours and neither of you could figure out how to aim weapons? The game is much harder if you don't know how the controls work. But that's not a game issue. That's a "You" issue.[/QUOTE]
Yea, too bad I didn't have any ranged weapons yet, only two swords, which the game only let me aimlessly swing in someone's general direction.
[quote name='Camwi']The cannonballs didn't appear out of nowhere, they were in that little shed thingie. If you attack the door of the shed, they roll out and kill the enemies located there.

And I never died while reading one of the messages, so I don't know where you came up with that one.

Seriously, it's alright to not like this game. It's not for everyone. But it really sounds like you're just trying to come up with random, untrue shit just for the sake of arguing a pointless argument.[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to "pointlessly argue" it's just right after I tried to play this game and it sucked that I find this thread, so I unleashed my thoughts only to have a bunch of fanboys get pissed off.

[quote name='RollingSkull']You could've smeared Phalanx a lot quicker throwing firebombs at him.[/quote]
Only had one by that point, used most of mine killing that red eyed mini-boss which I couldn't ever melee and still can't seem to melee after several 1-1 clearings.

The red-eyed cocksucker is a giant douchenozzle. Just realize that red-eyes = SERIOUS BUSINESS CAN RANDOMLY ONE-SHOT YOU FOR NO APPARENT REASON from here on out. You aren't even meant to kill him until later.

Wow some very strong opinions of this title.

I just got this game last week and personally I am enjoying it. This game truly reminds me of an almost classic NES kind of difficulty - kind of like the early mega mans. It's pretty difficult at times until you learn the patterns and develop strategies for dealing with certain areas/enemies of the game. Once you perfect them though it is quite rewarding. It really gives you a sense of accomplishment.

I own a copy of NG2 and Bayonetta and I really liked both, but it's a completely different style. They are quicker and far more arcadey, DS is more methodical and slow paced. It's quite different. if you grew up with an NES in your home and remember a time when games were punishing and unforgiving this will give you a nice nostalgic feeling. It doesn't hold your hand much and there definitely isn't too much story.

Also the online component is hillarious. Especially the blood stains. For those of you unfamiliar with DS's multiplayer offerings, it presents bloodstains where players have died before. When you touch the blood stains it will put on a demonstration for you of how that particular player was killed. At times it can be quite entertaining.

[quote name='kvntwvlf']Yea, too bad I didn't have any ranged weapons yet, only two swords, which the game only let me aimlessly swing in someone's general direction.[/QUOTE]

You needed to lock on to the enemy by clicking the R3 button. While there's less of a need to do that with swords than there is with spears once you've had some practice, locking onto an enemy guarantees that you won't be swinging at air.

It appears you missed one of the game's primary control mechanics (lock-on/release). This would be akin to playing Modern Warfare without learning how to auto-lock with the L2 button (and likely worse than that to begin). That would be harder, but it wouldn't be the game's fault.

You also get to choose whether or not your starting character is equipped with a ranged weapon from the start. The Hunter and Thief builds start out with long and short bows respectively. The Royal class begins with Soul Arrow; a fairly powerful low-level spell for the beginning level. So the lack of a ranged weapon, again, wasn't a game issue.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Only had one by that point, used most of mine killing that red eyed mini-boss which I couldn't ever melee and still can't seem to melee after several 1-1 clearings.[/QUOTE]

Red-eyed knights are major threats. That particular knight in 1-1 is guarding something major. A fight with him shouldn't even be attempted until a player has leveled up a good deal as one can't even access what he's guarding without a key that's only available later on; which can be acquired only if certain conditions have been met.

That being said, the 1-1 RE knight is a decent source of souls when grinding level 1 for moon grass and items.

[quote name='SteelSD']Red-eyed knights are major threats. That particular knight in 1-1 is guarding something major. A fight with him shouldn't even be attempted until a player has leveled up a good deal as one can't even access what he's guarding without a key that's only available later on; which can be acquired only if certain conditions have been met.

That being said, the 1-1 RE knight is a decent source of souls when grinding level 1 for moon grass and items.[/QUOTE]

You can zot the red eyed cocksucker easily with the magic missile spell but still, if you were grinding for souls, not only is Shrine of Storms better but it's also more fun once you get the hang of the stupid rolling attacks the enemies do. Get to level 2 there and the ghost enemies at the start all die and drop souls when you kill the reaper. More souls if you want to drop the world tendency to black (God be with you if you do, though.). Kill the reaper. Evacuate out, repeat. Much less risk, too.

If you've cleared a world boss, then you want to work over the later levels of the castle so you'll have more grass than Little Jacob. It's a particularly annoying set of levels but the castle is the only place that drops grass reliably.

Tower of Latria drops spice but nobody wants to go to Tower of Latria unless you absolutely loved Doom 3. Which means the swamp world is only good for people who hate the sense of sight and LOVE the color of murky brown.

BIG TIP for the new guys: It took me until I cleared a couple worlds to figure this out but magic salesmen appear on both sides of the stairs, behind them, after you clear the first level. The higher tier vendors will unlock there as well once you free them from their respective levels.

And the better blacksmith shows up below the big rotating elevator at the start of the first mines level. He can give you more weapon/armor upgrades, unique ones, and the stat-tailored upgrades, but damned if that all isn't min/maxing, wiki reading, ore-drop grindan bullcrap. You'll most likely ditch that stuff for an artifact weapon anyway.

Finally, connecting online resets your World Tendency to the global average. This will ruin attempts to go for WT, which is one of the main ways to get the fancier rare drops, so if you're going for WT runs, don't connect online. (Though if you dropped WT to black for whatever asinine reason and then didn't want to or weren't able to do the full white run, that might be a way to pull your ass outta the fire but it has a way of only triggering when you DON'T want it to.)

FINAL FINAL tip for new guys: First level. Where that dillweed who gave you the telescope was. You need to roll off the upper area onto his platform for the Thief's Ring, which reduces the range at which enemies see you. This opens up quite a few ranged-attack centric ways to go about the game. Thiefs Ring, Cling Ring, and Fragrant Ring (Give Sparkly the Crow that useless telescope) are all great pieces of jewelry. The spot to roll from is after the foggy door on the battlements, where you go down the stairs in the interior wall and then have to deal with a flamer guy and a bunch of exploding barrels. It'll overlook where the loser was when you saved him the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SteelSD']You needed to lock on to the enemy by clicking the R3 button. While there's less of a need to do that with swords than there is with spears once you've had some practice, locking onto an enemy guarantees that you won't be swinging at air.

It appears you missed one of the game's primary control mechanics (lock-on/release). This would be akin to playing Modern Warfare without learning how to auto-lock with the L2 button (and likely worse than that to begin). That would be harder, but it wouldn't be the game's fault.

You also get to choose whether or not your starting character is equipped with a ranged weapon from the start. The Hunter and Thief builds start out with long and short bows respectively. The Royal class begins with Soul Arrow; a fairly powerful low-level spell for the beginning level. So the lack of a ranged weapon, again, wasn't a game issue.[/QUOTE]

Maybe my friend is just a dumbass then haha. I wasn't there when he chose his character, and didn't tell me you could chose more than one class. And I didn't know that about r3 lol.

Okay guys, if I ever come across this game again, I'll give it another chance. And I won't drink this time when I'm playing it.

bread's done
Back