Demon's Souls (PS3) $11.99 at Amazon

Pfft kids these days, back in my day we had 3 lives and no continues or save points and usually 1 hit killed you. Don't even think we could go online and look up game FAQs either, we had to talk to our friends at recess about how to get past a level.

Ooooo you must be a big bad pro gamer cause you played demon souls, we are all sooooo impressed. Demon Souls you do not impress me.

actually, i did think flower was amazing because it was relaxing. i also beat demon's souls -tho it took 60 hours of my life-. not everyone is one-dimensional and only likes certain games.
not everybody that plays video games does so to be good at them. video games are made to be fun; for everyone. how serious you wanna make them is your own business, but it isn't right to disrespect other people for not taking them as seriously as you do. you'll realize this as you get older.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']It does when you're criticizing a game because you suck at it and tellin other people not to play it because you suck at it. :roll:

You probably thought Flower was amazing too because it was so relaxing.[/QUOTE]

don't forget going to the grocery store and reading egm/gamepro/nintendo power in the magazine aisle and trying to memorize the tricks n tips because mom wouldn't buy the magazine lol. the good ol days..

[quote name='iwannadie']Pfft kids these days, back in my day we had 3 lives and no continues or save points and usually 1 hit killed you. Don't even think we could go online and look up game FAQs either, we had to talk to our friends at recess about how to get past a level.

Ooooo you must be a big bad pro gamer cause you played demon souls, we are all sooooo impressed. Demon Souls you do not impress me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='technicalstylez']don't forget going to the grocery store and reading egm/gamepro/nintendo power in the magazine aisle and trying to memorize the tricks n tips because mom wouldn't buy the magazine lol. the good ol days..[/QUOTE]

EGM was the best, I remember if you had a new copy of EGM or any of the other magazines you were the cool kid for that day in school ;) .

Im playing Demon Souls right now and I think its better than Dark Souls (the spiritual secuel). And thats saying a lot. Its fantastic. Cant believe they are shutting down the servers.

[quote name='bshirk']You're in the minority. Most people play games to relax and don't have the time (and/or patience) to attempt the same feat ad nauseam. And it sold reasonably well, but not even close to titles such as Skyrim, FF13, and Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]

I was pretty relaxed when I was playing it, probably because of how much fun the game is.

What feat were you attempting ad nauseam. Demon's Souls is built around the idea that if you learn from your mistake, and you're not a 5-year-old or incredibly impatient, you probably won't make that same mistake again.

And like some other guy said, of course it didn't sell as well as Skyrim or Mass Effect. That's an extraordinarily ignorant statement to make. Nobody knew anything about it and it was barely advertised over here in the U.S. It did, however, sell 4 times what Atlas predicted, and that was back in 2010...and Dark Souls has sold around 2 million copies, to which much of it's success can be attributed to how awesome Demon's Souls was/is.

It just flat out sounds like you sucked at it and/or gave up on it after an hour of sucking at it...because of how much you sucked.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Exactly.[/QUOTE]

Well, we can't all play seriously hardcore games like you, I mean really you got a platinum for Disney's Up, Def Jam Rapstar, Hasbro family game night and got 100% in Stacking.... Clearly you play only the most hardest of hardcore games for the sheer challenge. How was that gummy bears game by the way that you got 100% on? Costume quest was good too right, kept you grinding your teeth from difficulty to reach that 100%? I saw you didn't get 100% on flock though, damn sheep can be tricky. I would think flower would be right there in your top picks next to Hamster Ball that you got 100% on both hmm. Then again I guess Critter Crunch, now there is the challenging game right there not to be beaten out by Ice Age 3, most difficult of the trilogy I've herd.

The Coup de grâce though must be, Linger in Shadows. I mean seriously, anyone who puts down relaxing games like Flower surely must have loved this non-game tech demo's pure skill testing challenges enough to get 100% on it.

[quote name='ochentay4']Im playing Demon Souls right now and I think its better than Dark Souls (the spiritual secuel). And thats saying a lot. Its fantastic. Cant believe they are shutting down the servers.[/QUOTE]

I think going back to Demon's Souls, the loading between the worlds and the nexus would be the only thing I'd be frustrated with compared to Dark Souls. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the world tendancies. Otherwise, I do miss playing a few of those levels, like 1-3, 1-4, 3-1 and 4-2 are just epic.

lol yeah, tho i ended up with subs to gamepro because that was the only game mag sub offered in that fundraiser where we had to sell mag subs every year . remember the cover art for gamepro back then??? looking back on it their cover illustrations were sooooo bad, but at the time i thought it was sooo cool.. EGM was smart and just used actual game art/in game footage lol.

[quote name='iwannadie']EGM was the best, I remember if you had a new copy of EGM or any of the other magazines you were the cool kid for that day in school ;) .[/QUOTE]

Dark Souls/Demon's Souls are not hard games. Takes sometime to get used to the mechanics though. I've probably beat Dark Souls near 10x with an assortment of characters. I have an sl130 in NG+++, an sl100 in NG+, and sl4 in NG+. I'm really a coop player though and is the reason I haven't played much DeS...just keeping going back to DkS when I don't see any summon signs and no one is invading :( After learning the levels, a player can actually beat the game without leveling up at all.

No one should hate on this game cuz they "heard" it was hard. The price is cheap and a great purchase. If you absolutely hate it, give it to someone else to try....

I do have a buddy that couldn't' figure out how to get past the tutorial boss in Dark Souls....haha

[quote name='technicalstylez']lol yeah, tho i ended up with subs to gamepro because that was the only game mag sub offered in that fundraiser where we had to sell mag subs every year . remember the cover art for gamepro back then??? looking back on it their cover illustrations were sooooo bad, but at the time i thought it was sooo cool.. EGM was smart and just used actual game art/in game footage lol.[/QUOTE]

I never liked gamepro actually. They always had that cheap-o hand draw feel to the whole magazine. Even the reviews scores were cartoon faces of different expressions right? I was always EGM, nintendo power and later game fan I think it was. Now I get the official PS magazine and it is ok.

thats interesting because i feel entirely the opposite. i love demon's souls levels set up much more so than dark souls open world aspect. again, probably just a nostalgia thing but it felt rewarding to beat a world/levels and then return to the nexus and trade my souls to the merchant for goodies. such a great game.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I think going back to Demon's Souls, the loading between the worlds and the nexus would be the only thing I'd be frustrated with compared to Dark Souls. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the world tendancies. Otherwise, I do miss playing a few of those levels, like 1-3, 1-4, 3-1 and 4-2 are just epic.[/QUOTE]

lol thats what im talking about! the artwork was soooooo bad...but i liked it as a kid for some reason. ya those faces cracked me up, especially the 5.0 hair on end/scream face. most of my friends made fun of me for reading gamepro but like i said i got it through school fundraiser so the sub was super cheap. and yeah, gamefan came a little later and was pretty good. they were on top of all the import/japanese games. wish they'd hung around.

[quote name='iwannadie']I never liked gamepro actually. They always had that cheap-o hand draw feel to the whole magazine. Even the reviews scores were cartoon faces of different expressions right? I was always EGM, nintendo power and later game fan I think it was. Now I get the official PS magazine and it is ok.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='iwannadie']Well, we can't all play seriously hardcore games like you, I mean really you got a platinum for Disney's Up, Def Jam Rapstar, Hasbro family game night and got 100% in Stacking.... Clearly you play only the most hardest of hardcore games for the sheer challenge. How was that gummy bears game by the way that you got 100% on? Costume quest was good too right, kept you grinding your teeth from difficulty to reach that 100%? I saw you didn't get 100% on flock though, damn sheep can be tricky. I would think flower would be right there in your top picks next to Hamster Ball that you got 100% on both hmm. Then again I guess Critter Crunch, now there is the challenging game right there not to be beaten out by Ice Age 3, most difficult of the trilogy I've herd.

The Coup de grâce though must be, Linger in Shadows. I mean seriously, anyone who puts down relaxing games like Flower surely must have loved this non-game tech demo's pure skill testing challenges enough to get 100% on it.[/QUOTE]

I also platinumed/100%'ed Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, Super Stardust HD, Call of Duty: World At War, PixelJunk Eden, Killzone 2, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Yakuza 3, Spelunker, Call of Duty Classic, Joe Danger, MAG, Castle Crashers, Dark Souls, and Explodemon, but I guess you can just point out the easiest games I've played and base an entire argument out of that.

Also, I never claimed to be a hardcore gamer. My only claim was that people like you don't like Demon's Souls because you suck at it. The people who got offended at being called a shitty player for playing shitty are the ones saying that I'm a hardcore gamer.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I also platinumed/100%'ed Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, Super Stardust HD, Call of Duty: World At War, PixelJunk Eden, Killzone 2, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Yakuza 3, Spelunker, Call of Duty Classic, Joe Danger, MAG, Castle Crashers, Dark Souls, and Explodemon, but I guess you can just point out the easiest games I've played and base an entire argument out of that.

Also, I never claimed to be a hardcore gamer. My only claim was that people like you don't like Demon's Souls because you suck at it.[/QUOTE]

Well, you made it a point to make fun of a game like flower, a game that you played and got 100% on. If you want to say that game sucks that's great but don't say it sucks after playing it and making a point to get 100%. If I play a game and find it sucks, I stop playing it and don't play it just to get the trophies.

Also, I never made a comment about dark souls sucking or not sucking and you didn't make any claim towards me at all.

[quote name='iwannadie']Well, you made it a point to make fun of a game like flower, a game that you played and got 100% on. If you want to say that game sucks that's great but don't say it sucks after playing it and making a point to get 100%. If I play a game and find it sucks, I stop playing it and don't play it just to get the trophies.

Also, I never made a comment about dark souls sucking or not sucking and you didn't make any claim towards me at all.[/QUOTE]

Where did I say Flower sucked?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I also platinumed/100%'ed Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, Super Stardust HD, Call of Duty: World At War, PixelJunk Eden, Killzone 2, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Yakuza 3, Spelunker, Call of Duty Classic, Joe Danger, MAG, Castle Crashers, Dark Souls, and Explodemon, but I guess you can just point out the easiest games I've played and base an entire argument out of that.[/QUOTE]

I still haven't seen you Platinum Hanna Montana. How many times do you see that on the list. I congratulate you on not putting that on your list.

[quote name='technicalstylez']to be fair, demon's souls didn't have nearly the amount of mainstream marketing/press coverage that the titles you mentioned received. demon's souls became popular through word of mouth/internet, not paid for ad campaigns. as a result of its success, dark souls was made multiplatform and heavily marketed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it definitely had a smaller marketing budget, but in the gaming press, many of the articles such as the one on Bitmob read like a PR release, and much of the early discussion around the game sounded as such. I'm sure they spent less than usual, but it was a very effective marketing campaign.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You only have to attempt the same feat "ad nauseam" if you suck, which is what I would expect from someone who plays games just to relax (aka easy mode on

If you like your games painfully hard, it's all good, but most people who work hard play games for entertainment and relaxation.

[quote name='bshirk']If you like your games painfully hard, it's all good, but most people who work hard play games for entertainment and relaxation.[/QUOTE]

Demon's Souls isn't my greatest game of all time simply because it was hard (truth be told, I didn't find it that hard, not trying to brag, but as long as you play patiently and learn from your mistakes, it's not that bad). I loved it because of its gameplay, how precise you needed to be with combat, the world and level design, and just the overall atmosphere. I can only usually play video games for an hour or two before I need a break but this is a game that I would wake up wanting to play and stay up later than usual because I was playing.

With that said, I also like to challenge myself, which is why I like to try to platinum/100% games. I would get bored if there was little risk of me dying when I played a game or if the game held my hand to the finish. There's nothing like the feeling of finally accomplishing something that you've been struggling on. Most people are fine with giving up after failing a couple of times. I'm not that person.

[quote name='bshirk']If you like your games painfully hard, it's all good, but most people who work hard play games for entertainment and relaxation.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Games like this demand a lot of time to become rewarding. Although, I will say that if you don't mind using the bountiful online guides, most of the trial and error frustration is alleviated without making it too easy. At least that's how I approached it halfway through.

IDK, I have spent a lot of time playing DS and I don't really find it fun or hard. You just feel like a regular guy up against bad odds. Pretty much every boss I have killed with a shitload of arrows from a distance.

There is no explanation of what weapon upgrades do and to be honest if you don't "cheat" by looking at a guide, you wouldn't even know that some of the characters in the game existed. Some items are in such scarce supply, I am scared to use it, since IDK if I will be able to "buy" or find more in the game.

For some reason I still play it because beating it will seam like an accomplishment.

Basically you take lock-on combat mechanic of LoZ: Ocarina of time, flesh it out; add the pattern recognition and "dead boss gives new ability/weapon" mechanic of mega man; slow the tempo down a bit and you have Demon's Souls.

Some things people dislike about it, I love. For instance, one poster was complaining that classes are just starting packages, and that there is no functional difference between them (can use certain weapons, get more skill points in certain areas, etc.) as if you start down one play style you can easily pivot and change to something else mid-stream without being locked down into one method of combat.

Usually whenever this comes up I always post my favorite video review of DeS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnyVo3XWqV0

Anyone rolling a magic character is gonna miss out on a hat that's only dropped when you play online, specifically defeating someone that replaces the old monk in the Tower of Latria world will give them the old monk's hat. Servers go dead, item is lost forever unless Atlus decides to patch this up themselves.

Fortunately that's the only online-only item in the game, everything else can be found offline.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Anyone rolling a magic character is gonna miss out on a hat that's only dropped when you play online, specifically defeating someone that replaces the old monk in the Tower of Latria world will give them the old monk's hat. Servers go dead, item is lost forever unless Atlus decides to patch this up themselves.

Fortunately that's the only online-only item in the game, everything else can be found offline.[/QUOTE]

hmmm, do you keep all your loot when you have a second playthrough?

[quote name='slowdive21']hmmm, do you keep all your loot when you have a second playthrough?[/QUOTE]
yes, all that is lost is quest items like keys, everything else in your inventory and everything with the human storage container Thomas will transfer to new game+

You must be one of those guys that sound tough over the internet. Demon Souls is a difficult game to go through. By no means is it impossible.

If you get this game, I encourage you to do it blind. I finished a blind Let's Play of it close to Christmas, and while it was definitely frustrating at times, it was extremely rewarding once I beat it. Granted, there were a few things spoiled for me by Youtube comments and the like, but I figure things like those are bound to happen anyway. There's just one thing involving a certain NPC that you can't undo, and it's very difficult to figure out what you need to do to prevent it on your own. That's the only thing I'd recommend looking up/having spoiled for you. Otherwise you're good.

And if for some reason you have some time to kill and might want to watch a complete noob play through the game (even though I'm a bit amateurish):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYC4exZfN8o

I didn't read the other posts, but yeah you should bite, but just know I read that the servers are going to be gone in May so no more online.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I was pretty relaxed when I was playing it, probably because of how much fun the game is.

What feat were you attempting ad nauseam. Demon's Souls is built around the idea that if you learn from your mistake, and you're not a 5-year-old or incredibly impatient, you probably won't make that same mistake again.

And like some other guy said, of course it didn't sell as well as Skyrim or Mass Effect. That's an extraordinarily ignorant statement to make. Nobody knew anything about it and it was barely advertised over here in the U.S. It did, however, sell 4 times what Atlas predicted, and that was back in 2010...and Dark Souls has sold around 2 million copies, to which much of it's success can be attributed to how awesome Demon's Souls was/is.

It just flat out sounds like you sucked at it and/or gave up on it after an hour of sucking at it...because of how much you sucked.[/QUOTE]

Once again, as much passion as you have for this game with clunky controls, archaic menus, tedious gameplay, and harsh punishments, it still doesn't appeal to most gamers. Maybe you're a god at gaming and never lose and don't mind repeating 30 minute segments and have perfect reflexes and hand-eye coordination, but most people don't. I'm happy for you, I'd reward you with a candy bar for being so hardcore. I've beaten some games many people find difficult without much trouble either, but I don't lord it over people. You're basically assuming that every basketball player has the capability and/or time to be in the NBA.

[quote name='starscream1101']Dark Souls/Demon's Souls are not hard games. Takes sometime to get used to the mechanics though. I've probably beat Dark Souls near 10x with an assortment of characters. I have an sl130 in NG+++, an sl100 in NG+, and sl4 in NG+. I'm really a coop player though and is the reason I haven't played much DeS...just keeping going back to DkS when I don't see any summon signs and no one is invading :( After learning the levels, a player can actually beat the game without leveling up at all.

No one should hate on this game cuz they "heard" it was hard. The price is cheap and a great purchase. If you absolutely hate it, give it to someone else to try....

I do have a buddy that couldn't' figure out how to get past the tutorial boss in Dark Souls....haha[/QUOTE]

They might not be hard to you, but they are to most people. Some people find calculus incredibly easy, but the majority of the population had some difficulty with Algebra.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']So what games are "relaxing" if Demon's Souls is so punishing and hard (which its not).[/QUOTE]

Any title that can accommodate average skill levels on normal difficulty and doesn't make you play long segments of a game again if you lose. One where you don't have to look up any information to have an enjoyable experience.

[quote name='bshirk']Once again, as much passion as you have for this game with clunky controls, archaic menus, tedious gameplay, and harsh punishments, it still doesn't appeal to most gamers. Maybe you're a god at gaming and never lose and don't mind repeating 30 minute segments and have perfect reflexes and hand-eye coordination, but most people don't. I'm happy for you, I'd reward you with a candy bar for being so hardcore. I've beaten some games many people find difficult without much trouble either, but I don't lord it over people. You're basically assuming that every basketball player has the capability and/or time to be in the NBA.[/QUOTE]

Clunky controls?

Archaic menus?

Tedious gameplay?

What game were you playing?

If people complain about this game and say, it was too hard for me so I gave up on it, then fine. But don't start saying it's the game's fault that you didn't like it.

i loved advanced calc and stat etc. its just like a numbers game where nothing makes sense but there is an anwer that fits perfectly. magna cum laude bitches. i got a C in adv bio my first year so i didnt get the better title. i still work like min. wage job tho, ill blame the economy.

oh yeah i love demons souls so much. sad to see the online go at the end of may.
i gotta get into it just to fight as a black/red phantom a few more times.
and to fight off that world 4 boss online a few times, that was always great fun.

The boss battles in this game are great. The feeling of destroying Maneater is pure joyful. I have been hooked playing this game since knowing the servers are going down.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Clunky controls?

Archaic menus?

Tedious gameplay?

What game were you playing?

If people complain about this game and say, it was too hard for me so I gave up on it, then fine. But don't start saying it's the game's fault that you didn't like it.[/QUOTE]

What game was I playing? A title called Demon's Souls, and I'm not alone in this opinion which you can see even in this comment thread (and many more are likely remaining silent since this is a society where achievement and "success" mean everything). Just because a handful of game "journalists" and a few hundred thousand people like it, doesn't mean that it's a flawless experience. There are many games that I enjoyed that had similar sales which I can admit had flaws, but diehard fans can't get caught being even slightly critical of their favorite titles. As for whether or not the game was too hard for me, I didn't play it long enough to tell, but I was turned off by the tediousness and lack of checkpoints. My free time is too valuable to devote to repeating boring sequences after making a minor error (and the controls are nowhere near as good as most third-person action games).

[quote name='bshirk']What game was I playing? A title called Demon's Souls, and I'm not alone in this opinion which you can see even in this comment thread (and many more are likely remaining silent since this is a society where achievement and "success" mean everything). Just because a handful of game "journalists" and a few hundred thousand people like it, doesn't mean that it's a flawless experience. There are many games that I enjoyed that had similar sales which I can admit had flaws, but diehard fans can't get caught being even slightly critical of their favorite titles. As for whether or not the game was too hard for me, I didn't play it long enough to tell, but I was turned off by the tediousness and lack of checkpoints. My free time is too valuable to devote to repeating boring sequences after making a minor error (and the controls are nowhere near as good as most third-person action games).[/QUOTE]

There are checkpoints, and you can make many minor errors without dying. But I guess your definition of minor error is running off a cliff or getting repeatedly killed by the same enemy. If you learn from your mistakes, this game is easy because everything is the same. If you don't learn and like to keep doing the same thing over and over until you finally succeed (like most casual gamers), then yeah, this game isn't for you.

Oh yeah, and a metacritic score of 89, I guess only a couple "journalists" liked it.

I was gonna jump on this deal, but I cancelled as soon as I found out the servers were shutting down soon.

[quote name='bshirk']Any title that can accommodate average skill levels on normal difficulty and doesn't make you play long segments of a game again if you lose. One where you don't have to look up any information to have an enjoyable experience.[/QUOTE]

So....Demon's Souls? Because all you're really doing is repeating cliche "knocks" against the game that anyone who gave it any time could tell you aren't true. Yes, even "average" gamers. Because I am by no means a great gamer, I don't even play multi-player for any games and if I did, I'm sure I'd get my ass kicked in 5 seconds. But I didn't have any trouble with Demon's Souls after 10 minutes of understanding the game. And I think the most I ever had to play through again when I died was like 2 minutes...much less time than many other gamers out there.

Also, I know why you don't want to actually name a specific game in response to my question.

And what information did you have to look up? You're really vague. I don't recall having to look up anything, including how to upgrade weapons and what was needed to do so. But I can definitely see someone who needs to have his hand held through every game running to google to find out where to go next.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']There are checkpoints, and you can make many minor errors without dying. But I guess your definition of minor error is running off a cliff or getting repeatedly killed by the same enemy. If you learn from your mistakes, this game is easy because everything is the same. If you don't learn and like to keep doing the same thing over and over until you finally succeed (like most casual gamers), then yeah, this game isn't for you.

Oh yeah, and a metacritic score of 89, I guess only a couple "journalists" liked it.[/QUOTE]

lol, exactly.

It won fucking game of the year from gamespot.

The game isn't hard. If it was, it wouldn't be so popular on CAG.

Everyone beats it, because it only requires that you think for 2 seconds on why you died. "Oh I'll roll out of the way next time" = Demon's Souls in a nutshell. And that's why it's good.

[quote name='gettinmoney662'] don't start saying it's the game's fault that you didn't like it.[/QUOTE]

what the hell is the difference

someone doesn't like things i like! my butt hurts!

[quote name='moothemagiccow']what the hell is the difference

someone doesn't like things i like! my butt hurts![/QUOTE]

I'm talkin about when you say shit like it has clunky controls or no checkpoints or other made up shit just to try and come up with a reason for not liking the game besides that you suck at it. Just admit you don't like the game because you are terrible at it. Watch, I'll show you an example: I don't like golf because I suck at it.

I don't care if you don't like the game, just have a valid reason for not liking it (ie: I only like to play easy mode because I'm scared of having any challenge in my life).

I would agree that the controls are clunky. Only one or two of my deaths was from an enemy attack. The rest were from falling while platforming.

Unlike a lot of games, Demon's Souls is rather deficient in the tutorial department. You go through a short primer and then the game boots you out into the game world and you are responsible for figuring things out, such as finding the area of the Nexus with all the tips on the ground for advanced moves. Some folks thrive when kicked into the river and told "swim," others need more guidance.

The first couple of hours are the most polarizing as you are at your weakest, if you can get through that, then you can begin to level and seek out better gear which will make the game much easier. If you can't get through the first part of the game, re-roll with a royal class character, that's Demon's Souls on easy mode.

bread's done
Back