Desert Bus for Hope! Final total: $22,000 i.e. like 4 neo geo games

A

Apossum

Stolen from GAF.

http://desertbus.org/

These guys are playing Desert Bus, a Sega CD game, for donations for Child's Play. Their goal was $5000, but they are now past $8600!!

Why Desert Bus? Well, it's the most mundane game ever and is probably just behind "Takeshi's Challenge" (NES) when it comes to unforgiving rules and annoying gameplay.

Description of the game:

Desert Bus is the best known mini game in the package, and was a featured part of Electronic Gaming Monthly’s preview. The objective of the game is to drive a bus from Tucson, Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada in real time at a maximum speed of 45mph, a feat that would take the player 8 hours of continuous play to complete, as the game cannot be paused.

The bus contains no passengers, and there is no scenery or other cars on the road. The bus veers to the right slightly; as a result, it is impossible to tape down a button to go do something else and have the game end properly. If the bus veers off the road it will stall and be towed back to Tucson, also in real time. If the player makes it to Las Vegas, they will score exactly one point. The player then gets the option to make the return trip to Tucson—for another point (a decision they must make in a few seconds or the game ends). Players may continue to make trips and score points as long as their endurance holds out. Some players who have completed the trip have also noted that, although the scenery never changes, a bug splats on the windscreen over halfway through the first trip, and on the return trip the light does fade, with differences at dusk, and later a pitch black road where the player is guided only with headlights.

Come pitch in a few bucks.

UPDATE:

$22,000 Get!

20000a.jpg

lol yes I will contribute to this. Desert Bus is pretty awesome. I think like 4 hours in it has a fly hit the windshield.. haha

I played a similar game I think back in the day. I believe it was a game for DOS. The point was to drive between two places (any two places in the US). This had a bit more to do as you had a money limit and had to eat and stay at a hotel if you got too tired. Anyway, the most annoying thing about this game is you would get hit by lightning very frequently. Like almost every minute you drove, you would get hit. Each time you got hit, you would have to call a tow truck who repair your car and take your money. However if you run out of money, you would start all over again from the place you left from.

Yup. Right now they are "having a blast" but that shit will get old quick.

Someone is going to get stabbed by the time this thing is over.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So when they crash, do they have to start ALL the way over again on the 106 hours? I'm confused.[/QUOTE]
I bet whoever is the one who oversteers and fucks it all up is going to get a royal ass kicking.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So when they crash, do they have to start ALL the way over again on the 106 hours? I'm confused.[/QUOTE]

no, they hit reset and start the trip over. In the game, you get towed back to Tucson in real time :lol:

$22,800??? Holy shit. They should have been made to play so that for every $1000 donated they had to get 1 pt. Would've had to get 22 pts (8 hours each pt = just over 7 days of "driving")

Nonetheless, good job by them.

bread's done
Back