Desperate: Need Advice

honzoh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
(hope this is right forum)

Okay guys, here's my situation.

I have a Wii, 360, 2 original xboxs, and an HD player. I had a projector setup in my living room with two nice, $400 leather recliners, and a nice leather couch. Matching 7.1 sound system.

In my bedroom, I have an old 27" tv from 1999.

As of last week, my projector went out. I currently live in an apartment, and plan on moving in about six months to either a new house or a new apartment. All of the gaming/dvd stuff is setup in the living room, while I just have one of the oldskool xboxs upstairs in my bedroom.

To buy a new projector, I'm looking at around $1000. So, my first thought was to debate over whether or not to do another projector, or to simply shell out for a tv.

I decided that maybe the best plan would be to buy a nice 32" for the living room, then when I move discard the oldskool 27", put the new 32" in the bedroom, and buy a new projector for the new pad.

However, while shopping _everywhere_, I can't find a 32" hdtv for less than $500 and I just can't decide if that's worth it when I could spend double that and just buy a new projector.

Another delima is that I don't feel like I need a 32" in my bedroom once I move. Yet, a 26" is too small for my current living room.

I'm basically stuck, and can't decide which option would best fit my problem. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Just spend the dough on a flat screen and forget the projector. But make sure the current projector is truely broken and not a lamp problem because then you wouldn't have to but anything new.

[quote name='bigtymer']Just spend the dough on a flat screen and forget the projector. But make sure the current projector is truely broken and not a lamp problem because then you wouldn't have to but anything new.[/quote]

I completely agree. Make sure it's not the lamp that went out cause that takes 2 seconds to replace and will cost much less than a new TV.

If not, try newegg.com or tigerdirect.com for some great TV deals. I bought my 37'' LCD HDTV last year from newegg.com for like $799 and I got a free digital camera with it. I'm sure you can a decent price somewhere, you just have to look.

If you know you are going to get a projector when you move and you don't really want the larger TV to switch over to your bedroom at that time... Seems logical to just buy the projector now if you can swing it.

I'd go with a larger flat screen to use in the living room as a permanent option myself, but if you are set on a projector just get the new one now.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the help guys - as with the projector:

I just replaced the bulb less than one month ago - bulb is brand new. However, the screen flickers as if it's having trouble receiving signals from the video/component inputs. I've checked everything, plugged in different cables, etc and still no help. Confident it is not the bulb.

You might try taking the projector to a repair place or two with free estimates- might cost less to get this one fixed than to get a new one.

In the meantime, I'd just move the bedroom TV. So what if it's too small for the living room? You're only going to have the living room another 6 months anyway. If you can find a replacement projector before then, cool, but I'd put off getting a TV until after the move, just to save the trouble of actually moving it with everything else (and to minimize the chances of it getting dropped and broken in the process.)

Of course, keep your eyes open for a good sale- it's inventory time, y'know, and someplace might have a killer clearance on what you want. ;)

[quote name='honzoh']Thanks for the help guys - as with the projector:

I just replaced the bulb less than one month ago - bulb is brand new. However, the screen flickers as if it's having trouble receiving signals from the video/component inputs. I've checked everything, plugged in different cables, etc and still no help. Confident it is not the bulb.[/quote]

Hmmm well I still wouldn't rule out the bulb. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not defective or anything. But if you're sure it's not the bulb, try and get it repaired like another poster said. Repairing it might save you hundreds of dollars and it will work just like new.

Have you tried googling the projector make, model, and the problem to see if it's widespread? Sometimes manufacturers will have recalls on items and they can be repaired for free. OR there might have been someone who had the same problem and found a solution to it.

To the OP, if you decide against a projector, I'd just wait until you move. No way will you want to lug a TV of any size to your new place.

[quote name='smarkbran']just get a 42 inch hdtv. it is the perfect size and are around 650-800$[/QUOTE]
No way is that pricing possible for a 1080p set.

bread's done
Back