Destiny 2 *Official* CAG Thread - Farmhands Wanted

I read an article about that.  And then read the comments... I didn't realize a big point of contention with hardcore types is that "casuals" can get high level gear now that isn't locked behind a raid or Trials or something.  Because the way I've played has changed I really appreciate this change (which is for sure different than it was in D1).  I still think you need to be "hardcore" to power up to 650 in a reasonable time.  I've been playing nearly every night since I got Forsaken (what, 3-4 weeks now) and am just now breaking 640 on one character, about 635 on another, and have barely started the campaign on a 3rd.  A true casual, couple times a week for a few hours, player, would take a long time to power up.

As I said above, I really think they got the balance right this time.  High powered gear isn't locked behind certain activities that some people might not be able to do, but, on the other hand, it takes some time and commitment to get yourself up to 650.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Horror Story tipped the scales for those who don't like "easy" leveling for casual players. You didn't have to be good at playing, just be willing to grind away in a dark version in some of the worst content in the game. And for your troubles, you got a masterworked gun at highest light level that bootstrapped the rest of your powerful gear.

I was happy to have that bump in light. I play one character, don't raid and infrequently Nightfall (though trying to do it more often), and while my character has been 650 for a little while now, it was definitely because I regularly checked all the weekly/daily boxes almost 95% solo and play the holiday/seasonal events to the fullest.

I think a few you guys are older with kids that might have an Xbox One in the same house. Is there a way I can have my son share my Live account but he would play under his own Gamertag?

I think a few you guys are older with kids that might have an Xbox One in the same house. Is there a way I can have my son share my Live account but he would play under his own Gamertag?
If you have it set as your home Xbox then your Xbox Live is shared with everybody on that console.

I think Horror Story tipped the scales for those who don't like "easy" leveling for casual players. You didn't have to be good at playing, just be willing to grind away in a dark version in some of the worst content in the game. And for your troubles, you got a masterworked gun at highest light level that bootstrapped the rest of your powerful gear.
What is Horror Story?

I don't have a problem with people being able to grind (easier) content to get better gear. It takes some effort, and that in and of itself, makes it no longer "casual". They may not be pro Gamer types, but they can get the gear with some effort. I think that is a good balance. In Destiny 1, good gear was locked behind the ability to do high level stuff which either required high skill or a good fireteam. I was lucky enough to have moderate skills but a reliable fireteam so raids were never a problem, at least. And I was able to get all the higher light gear and the best weapons (helmets, Fatebringer, Vex Mythclast, etc - stuff from hard mode raids).

Now that I mostly play solo (with some much appreciated occasional help from Chnandler) I really like the multiple ways to get better gear. Not only is there more variety (no longer just grinding the same raid encounters over and over), a lot of it can be done solo.

But speaking of help, Chnandler, I got a couple quests I might need some help with. 1) A hard version of a strike for an exotic quest that recently popped up for me. 2) The "Shattered Throne" dungeon which I have no idea how to even access. But I have a quest to beat it while Ascendent. I assume I'll need some help with that!

I've been doing this for a while. What I found out before Christmas, though, is that you can't do it with 3 Xboxes. I wanted to buy my 19 year-old son his own box for Christmas, but then I'd have to buy him his own games and Gold membership. Wasn't worth it. So he still gets to share with little bro ;). As a compromise, I did buy him his own controller and a pretty nice headset though.

My "main" Xbox is upstairs and my older son plays various games while my younger one uses it pretty much for Fortnite. I don't have to be logged into it or anything and they can play all my stuff, including all the Games with Gold, etc.

Meanwhile the downstairs box is pretty much just for me to play Destiny. For them to play on this "secondary" box it is my understanding that I'd have to be logged into it at the same time.

TL;DR: we have 2 Xbox One systems and 3 of us all use my Live account but play under our own Gamertags.

What is Horror Story?
Masterworked 600 autorifle that was the top reward for playing the Halloween event, the "haunted forest." It was a timed run through 7 levels of the infinite forest (at night, with spooky sounds/lighting) with a boss round in between each. The cap was 600 back then, not long after Forsaken came out, so it was a handy way to get a boost quickly

But speaking of help, Chnandler, I got a couple quests I might need some help with. 1) A hard version of a strike for an exotic quest that recently popped up for me. 2) The "Shattered Throne" dungeon which I have no idea how to even access. But I have a quest to beat it while Ascendent. I assume I'll need some help with that!
Shattered Throne is only accessible every 3 weeks when the curse on the Dreaming City is at its peak - you just missed the peak, so this week is back to week 1. When it's active there are 3 taken portals around the map that you can access it through. It's tough, though not raid tough, and pretty lengthy for a non-raid Destiny activity; definitely recommended to have a fireteam. I might call it raid lair lite.

I will most likely be at your disposal this weekend. :)

Shattered Throne is only accessible every 3 weeks when the curse on the Dreaming City is at its peak - you just missed the peak, so this week is back to week 1. When it's active there are 3 taken portals around the map that you can access it through. It's tough, though not raid tough, and pretty lengthy for a non-raid Destiny activity; definitely recommended to have a fireteam. I might call it raid lair lite.
Was never able to do the raid lairs - lost my fireteam when those came out.

I was going through portals last week and didn't get to any dungeon. They just seemed to lead me in a circle (one portal to the next and then back again). I even tried it Ascendant. There is so much about Dreaming City I just don't get though. There's supposed to be cat statues you can give presents to, but I found one and it didn't give me the option. Then there are supposedly chests you can get to while ascendant. I ran all over the place ascendant for an hour or so - found nothing.

I will most likely be at your disposal this weekend. :)
Cool, will be on playing IB if nothing else. I guess we can't do the dungeon, but maybe we can do that strike.

Oh, and last night I finally got my first 650 drop from a Prime Engram: Go Figure pulse rifle. Go figure, I had *just* powered one of those up to 645 or so from another weapon using enhancement cores. Too bad, because now I'm out of cores.

Was just reading about the incoming buffs to auto rifles and scout rifles and snipers (Boo! They are way overpowered already). But if my Misfit gets a boost that will be pretty nice. I just started using pulse rifles again too. Like the range on that Go Figure.

Damn I haven't even heard of this, though now I play super super casual, and mainly stick to Gambit

Sent from my Galaxy Note 9 using Tapatalk

So if I was going to make my son his own Gamertag to use on my account do I use the email and password already linked to my GT or do I make him his own email and password?

So if I was going to make my son his own Gamertag to use on my account do I use the email and password already linked to my GT or do I make him his own email and password?
I don't think you can use your email for more than one GamerTag, so you'll probably need to set up an email account for him. At that point, make his Live/Xbox account a child account to your won so you can control it from yours.

Thanks to IB and some other powerful gear drops this week, I got both my Warlock and Titan to 649 with both just needing one more piece of 650 gear.  Now I can concentrate more on the hidden stuff like that Shattered Throne, etc.   I still need help on the special "Corrupted" strike (for an exotic quest).  I tried it solo and just the beginning area wipes me out.  I also still have several hidden triumphs in the Dreaming City section, so need to figure out what those are.

Thanks to Chnandler and the raid chest, my Hunter, who was still at level 39 yesterday, has an almost full set of Last Wish raid gear, which I find pretty funny since I've never even seen a video of the raid, let alone done it.  But for some reason that gear was at power 500 with a level of only 43 (meanwhile I had blues that were in the 485 range with a level requirement of 46-48).  So I powered her up to 43 and now she's rocking some pretty cool looking raid gear while still being nowhere near able to do the raid itself.  Unfortunately, unless I keep infusing it, she won't be wearing that gear for long as I start getting 500+ legendaries.

Also, oddly enough, she was able to equip my 650 Thunderlord at level 43.  If I switch back to a regular heavy weapon I go from like 515 to 480.

Thanks to IB and some other powerful gear drops this week, I got both my Warlock and Titan to 649 with both just needing one more piece of 650 gear. Now I can concentrate more on the hidden stuff like that Shattered Throne, etc. I still need help on the special "Corrupted" strike (for an exotic quest). I tried it solo and just the beginning area wipes me out. I also still have several hidden triumphs in the Dreaming City section, so need to figure out what those are.

Thanks to Chnandler and the raid chest, my Hunter, who was still at level 39 yesterday, has an almost full set of Last Wish raid gear, which I find pretty funny since I've never even seen a video of the raid, let alone done it. But for some reason that gear was at power 500 with a level of only 43 (meanwhile I had blues that were in the 485 range with a level requirement of 46-48). So I powered her up to 43 and now she's rocking some pretty cool looking raid gear while still being nowhere near able to do the raid itself. Unfortunately, unless I keep infusing it, she won't be wearing that gear for long as I start getting 500+ legendaries.

Also, oddly enough, she was able to equip my 650 Thunderlord at level 43. If I switch back to a regular heavy weapon I go from like 515 to 480.
I meant to help you out on that Corrupted Strike mission this weekend but my schedule was not my own. Also, on future runs to the raid chests, the PL on the gear should rise to be 20-25 points shy of your max PL, so when you get more pieces in the future you should be able to infuse them into the older pieces if the older pieces have better perks.

I meant to help you out on that Corrupted Strike mission this weekend but my schedule was not my own. Also, on future runs to the raid chests, the PL on the gear should rise to be 20-25 points shy of your max PL, so when you get more pieces in the future you should be able to infuse them into the older pieces if the older pieces have better perks.
Yeah, whenever you see me on and want to run it just hit me up.

And yeah, I may get more gear later - but it seems unlikely I'll get each piece of the set at each level as I progress. Maybe once I hit 650 I can start putting together a set. Those stupid enhancement cores are a pain though (since at that point I'd need to infuse random other 650's into them). I need to get some Masterwork weapons - still haven't even done that yet. Tired of not making orbs ;).

I was just lucky to get 3 different armor pieces on my Hunter already. And the Hunter gear looks pretty slick.

I have to get around to doing that same Corrupted mission, so feel free to ping me if you see me on. I can get to the orb room solo, but there's just too much to deal with once I trigger the shield enemies, and the checkpoint is a little too far back to bash my head against in true Titan fashion.

I have to get around to doing that same Corrupted mission, so feel free to ping me if you see me on. I can get to the orb room solo, but there's just too much to deal with once I trigger the shield enemies, and the checkpoint is a little too far back to bash my head against in true Titan fashion.
Me and Chnandler did it the other day. BUT... I just unlocked it on my Titan as well and I might prefer doing the subsequent part (banking motes in Gambit) on him anyway since I'm also working on unlocking Breakneck. We had a little trouble with just the 2 of us (mostly due to me) but obviously it makes a huge difference having even just one person backing you up.

But yeah the orb room is probably the hardest part.

In the comment thread someone is complaining about not getting exotics and someone else says they've gotten 4-5 in the last week. Same here! I've been shocked at the drops the last few times I've played. And they just randomly show up in the middle of activities, especially Gambit. I got 2 exotics on my Titan in ONE ROUND of Gambit a few days ago. Nothing good, mind you (mostly armor for classes I don't play very much). But still, almost more in just the last week alone than I got in the previous 2 months of solid nearly daily playing.

So I'd say *something* is going on with exotic drops now.

In the comment thread someone is complaining about not getting exotics and someone else says they've gotten 4-5 in the last week. Same here! I've been shocked at the drops the last few times I've played. And they just randomly show up in the middle of activities, especially Gambit. I got 2 exotics on my Titan in ONE ROUND of Gambit a few days ago. Nothing good, mind you (mostly armor for classes I don't play very much). But still, almost more in just the last week alone than I got in the previous 2 months of solid nearly daily playing.

So I'd say *something* is going on with exotic drops now.
Exotic drops run very hot and very cold I think, with very little in between. About a month ago I got FOUR exotics (three of them new to me) within two hours while playing on my titan. Over the last few days, I got THREE copies of Le Monarque from forge Powerful drops (twice in two consecutive forge runs). I still don't have all the new exotics, but the game has been pretty generous to me.

EDIT - FYI, if you are interested in experiencing the part of the game from that Tweet, let me know and get your jumping legs on. ;)

EDIT - FYI, if you are interested in experiencing the part of the game from that Tweet, let me know and get your jumping legs on. ;)
I thought this was something new to the game. Well, it is new to me, anyway. I tried it last night (3 times) and got about 2/3 the way through the jumping puzzle part before time ran out on me. At least I know where to go next (read about it afterwards). On my last attempt I made it to the big area with all the portals but I didn't even know they were portals so I spent 10 minutes hopping around looking for an exit. Now I think I know which one to pick. So, yeah, if you want to help me run through it I think we can get it done pretty easily.

I found a way to get right to the start without even having to go to the Lost Sector boss chest. Though it is so dark I'm pretty much just guessing where to jump. The very first time I did it, there was a piece of lore to scan on the ledge and I found the entrance to the secret area totally by accident. I had spent half the 20 mins running around the lost sector with no idea where to go before that ;). Kind of wish the lore was back just so I could see where the dark platform is.

Vendetta - you still read this thread at all? I saw you doing the Last Wish raid last night. At some point in the future, I'd like to raid again.

Supposedly most of the stuff you get from it is carried over from the same event last year.
Yeah one of the cool things I have that probably isn't super common is the exotic heart-spewing sparrow.

FYI - I'm going to try to be on around 11pm Pacific tonight (a little earlier that usual).

Tried the Whisper of the Worm thing again last night.   Apparently I didn't know where to go next.  The description I read said to go down below the next room and all that was down there was thrall and paths that led back up to the room I started in.  Wasted a ton of time there.  Afterwards I watched a video and they didn't go down in that room at all.

Also, started Shattered Throne by myself.  I could see maybe clearing the first part solo, but it is a pain that you have to start all over if you get killed.

So, yeah, need some help with both probably ;).

Tried the Whisper of the Worm thing again last night. Apparently I didn't know where to go next. The description I read said to go down below the next room and all that was down there was thrall and paths that led back up to the room I started in. Wasted a ton of time there. Afterwards I watched a video and they didn't go down in that room at all.

Also, started Shattered Throne by myself. I could see maybe clearing the first part solo, but it is a pain that you have to start all over if you get killed.

So, yeah, need some help with both probably ;).
So the room you were having trouble in is called the Green Room (the community isn't very imaginative). There is a nook right under the entrance that you have to crouch through to get into a hallway of sorts to make it through to the next room. I recently went through there to get the catalyst for the WotW and had trouble finding it. The lighting in that section is bad, intentionally so I think.

I attempted a solo (briefly flawless) run in the Shattered Throne when max PL was 600 and it ended with so much fail. That damn Vorgeth.......

What's the recommend power for the worm still kinda want to get that. I'm 604 I think

The content was introduced in Warmind, and I don't think Bungie ever adjusted the PL req for it, so ~600 should be more than enough. Barring any SNAFUs with the jumping part, we should be able to team up and get it done pretty easily.

Also, for anyone wanting to tackle The Anomaly as a Titan, I recommend watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLBy8oHax0o

Chnandler and I tackled Shattered Throne last night.  It is quite extensive - nearly raid-like, but of course meant for smaller groups.  We didn't end up having too much trouble with the Ogre, but the final boss gave us some trouble.  Finally we switched tactics to using supers as much as possible and we broke through.

Whisper of the Worm quest next...

Whoa - got a raid engram from the Clan rewards yesterday.  First time since I started playing again in November.

Whoa - got a raid engram from the Clan rewards yesterday. First time since I started playing again in November.
Honestly that might be the first raid engram reward the clan has got since the second or third week of release of vanilla D2.

Honestly that might be the first raid engram reward the clan has got since the second or third week of release of vanilla D2.
Yeah I wanna know who did it and what raid? PS4 people maybe?

Hmmm.... I'm reading up on it and now it seems that just one person from the Clan can trigger the reward. DIdn't it used to be that at least half the fireteam had to be members? So it could have just been someone doing one with LFG or some other group. Though that makes it even more surprising that we haven't seen more!

You sure you guys didn’t unlock it doing the shattered throne? I thought that was considered a 3 man raid level activity? All I know is I got a very generic reward for it wasn’t even raid related.

Yeah I wanna know who did it and what raid? PS4 people maybe?

Hmmm.... I'm reading up on it and now it seems that just one person from the Clan can trigger the reward. DIdn't it used to be that at least half the fireteam had to be members? So it could have just been someone doing one with LFG or some other group. Though that makes it even more surprising that we haven't seen more!
I'm not sure what's going on, because I only see 20% completion of the LW raid at most and 0% completion of SotP. Maybe the website I use can't properly track this info? #shrug

You sure you guys didn’t unlock it doing the shattered throne? I thought that was considered a 3 man raid level activity? All I know is I got a very generic reward for it wasn’t even raid related.
Three of us in the clan have been doing the Shattered Throne at least once every full curse week for a few full curse weeks now, so I don't think that's it.

Destiny released a ViDoc detailing what we can expect from Season of the Drifter (starting next week!) and beyond.  HYPE, as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNwmc5vMkLM

Dammit.  Looks like I might have to buy the season pass finally.  If so, I may ask for help catching up on the forges.

And hopefully we can at least get a 4 man group for Reckoning since we can't seem to do it for the raids.  I hope that is just 4 anyway - I'm just assuming since it is Gambit-related.

I played Gambit last night since they have the rank boost this week.  Figured I'd want to reset it at least once.  I just hit Legend and now there's even more ranks to slog through!?  With like 3000 points each.  Ugh, may not finish that...  I got a triumph for hitting "max rank" but I still seem to be getting points and I can't see how to reset.  I know when I did it for Crucible it was not very intuitive.  Like you had to start an activity and do it before it loaded or something weird.  Didn't work for Gambit though.

I also still need to do the Whisper quest.

Dammit. Looks like I might have to buy the season pass finally. If so, I may ask for help catching up on the forges.

And hopefully we can at least get a 4 man group for Reckoning since we can't seem to do it for the raids. I hope that is just 4 anyway - I'm just assuming since it is Gambit-related.

I played Gambit last night since they have the rank boost this week. Figured I'd want to reset it at least once. I just hit Legend and now there's even more ranks to slog through!? With like 3000 points each. Ugh, may not finish that... I got a triumph for hitting "max rank" but I still seem to be getting points and I can't see how to reset. I know when I did it for Crucible it was not very intuitive. Like you had to start an activity and do it before it loaded or something weird. Didn't work for Gambit though.

I also still need to do the Whisper quest.
The last 3000 points for your Gambit rank can be a slog, because losses don't give you points anymore. It's best to save up bounties and turn them in at this point. However, if we can get a four man group together for Gambit that would make wins that much easier. Communication is KEY in that game mode.

Also, if you are still teetering about getting the Annual Pass, here is the expanded roadmap for the next several months.

EL_annual_pass_roadmap_Season6_16x9_EN_1.jpg

I saw that but I don't fully understand what everything is.   I want to get that damn forge machine gun though. Tired of being killed by it!   I might buy the pass and play a little earlier tonight if you want to run anything.

I'm also still working on the exotic bounty in Gambit.  I got the motes banked but still need wins.  I actually got 4 in a row last night.  But I still need 4 or 5 more.

ajh - Yeah, I tried that.  I think I need to finish off that last 3000 points first.  I just hit "Legend" last night.

OK, I'm trying to buy the pass and it isn't in the store - at least on the web site.  Will check on the 'box later.

Never mind - found it.  Had to search for "destiny 2 pass" instead of "destiny 2 annual pass".  OK.

Favorite new Destiny related video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeM60lG5NGM

If nothing else, these videos are GREAT at building hype.  Pay close attention to the various perks for each of the Gambit (Prime only?) roles.

So I'm currently 609. I know the drifter had bounties to get me to 640, but how much of a hard time should I expect to have doing Gambit Prime bounties at 609?

So I'm currently 609. I know the drifter had bounties to get me to 640, but how much of a hard time should I expect to have doing Gambit Prime bounties at 609?

I don't think those will be too hard but Reckoning might be a little hairy, as it has a recommended level of 650. Is Gambit power level dependent or normalized like Crucible? I don't even know.

Leveling after 650 seems to be much slower than it was before (from 600-650). I started getting stuff at a whopping 651 from my powerful gear. The only thing I got any better was a Prime Engram at 655.

Already picked up 4 pieces of the new Gambit Prime Gear (which by the way you get at like 630-635 if you are 650). I need to do a serious cleanup of my Vault space if I plan on getting all 4 sets of gear for 3 characters - plus multiples of some for different perks. Ouch.

Your main focus should be those bounties that drop 640 gear. They aren't too time consuming and that new Power Level will help immensely.

So, about Reckoning... I loaded into it last night and I thought at first I was screwed as I was just in there by myself.  I thought maybe it was like a Raid and required your own fireteam.  When you first start it has like a 5 1/2 or 6 minute timer to get rapid kills (shows you as a percentage complete).  In there by myself I couldn't get it much past 20%.  FInally with 2 minutes left it put another person in.  Needless to say we failed it, but at least you get your wagered mote back when you do fail.  Also, you will want to wager at the mote bank before you jump down - I didn't realize this at first.  But you won't get your gear at the end unless you do.

Finally once we had 4 people in there we were able to beat it.  After getting to 100% a boss comes out and you have like 2 minutes to beat it.  You really want to be sure you revive people - if not they spawn way up on top and have to jump back down to join in.

The nice thing is that once you are done, you can just hang around the mote bank until it restarts - no need to go through matchmaking again.  Though one time I had all 3 of the other people bail on me right when the match started and of course I didn't get replacements till it was nearly over.

I did it again later and a full team of 4 failed it once or twice.  So it is by no means a guarantee - but halfway decent people at 650 power level shouldn't have too much trouble.  Then of course there are higher tiers later once you upgrade your mote container.

The gear you get at first only has +1 stats (Sentry or Reaper or whatever).   The perks unlock at 3, 6, 9, and 12 I think for the most part.  So clearly there is better gear to be had (or ways to upgrade the stuff you do get).

For whatever reason I had mostly Sentry motes.  I guess maybe it has to do with how you play in Gambit Prime?  I did kill a few blockers so maybe that's why.  I haven't gotten any Collector ones, though, even though I banked a decent amount as well.

bread's done
Back