Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

Is there a way to queue the PS4 to download only during a certain time? I have a bandwidth cap here in Toronto so 14+ GB is quite a hit when I only get 300 a month.
I think you're SOL outside of initiating it yourself during that time frame. You can't really pick a time frame like you could with PS3 to upload/download things after queuing it up via the web.

Also, it looks like initially the beta will cap at level 8 (if current early beta players are something to go by). However some extra stuff will get unlocked after maintenance happens next Monday and Tuesday according to a Bungie Dev during IGNs live stream yesterday. They're not saying what, but it sounds like it might be a higher level cap (as they don't want to say what the beta max is), a mission and possibly some other crucible mode(s). This is purely conjecture on my part though.

To anybody who replaced their internal HDD with a SSHDD, you will have increased loading by at least 5 seconds or so compared to other people. When joining Crucible, you all come in at the same time but you'll arrive faster in places like the Tower and Exploration maps. This is based off of my alpha experience as I hadn't switched out my HDD while a friend I played with did and the bastard was already identifying/selling equipment before I even finished loading.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, you will be able to play this without PS+ but you won't be able to invite friends to a strike team nor participate in any crucibles.  

And the Destiny companion APP is available already in the iOS store.  It's pretty cool how it pretty much updates it in real time(i.e. when you equip a new piece of armor in game it will update in the APP almost instantly.).

Just a few tips for everybody in the beta (Some may have changed since the alpha):

1. Non-white weapons can be upgraded by using them. This can change how the weapon is with regards to ammo and also increase the damage. The damage doesn't carry over into crucible, but ammo types and other things do. You will need to inspect the weapon after the upgrade unlocked flashes on screen to upgrade.

2. Like the last one, upgrade armor that is non-white as well. Upgrades are unlocked by just wearing it and fighting. You will need to inspect the armor after the upgrade unlocked flashes on screen to upgrade.

3. In the Moon crucible map, use your summonable vehicle to help get around to speed things up.

4. Vehicles in crucible are not as strong as they first appear and can be taken out with your primary weapon if you are able to play your cards right (still takes quite a bit), but you can also shoot out drivers. You CANNOT jack vehicles like in Halo. Also rockets (heavy weapon) and supers will instantly destroy a vehicle.

5. Orbs of Light appear when someone kills enemies with their super. Grab these to help fill up your super bar and don't bother "saving" your super or you'll end up using it once in a match instead of 3+ times.

6. Heavy Ammo in crucible can be obtained by everybody on the same team within 20 yards when the box is opened by a team member.

7. In the exploration map, the icon over the obtainable mission determines what kind of mission you get. One of them that I call assassination also rewards you with Valor points.

8. Rewards in exploration missions seem to increase in accordance to how large your fireteam is.

9. According to Bungie there are 5 golden boxes throughout the beta. I don't believe they're that much more special than the normal randomly spawning exploration chests you find. There are also a ton of dead ghosts that unlock grimoire cards that give you some background information and also increase your grimoire score.

10. You can set your fireteam to public that allows anybody to join if they come across you and initiate the join from their end. This needs to be set every time you launch the game if it's anything like the alpha.

11. Vendors change their wares on a regular basis. Some are every 2 others, others are once a day or once every few days. Check back occasionally to see what's new because when you're at level cap, they may have a better weapon for you.

12. There is no proximity chat. You can only communicate to people in your fireteam with the in-game voice chat.

13. Collect Spinmetal Leaves you find in the exploration map. They can be exchanged for Valor or Crucible experience along side some money.

14. I recommend not starting PvP until you have a heavy weapon and several types of special weapons to try out and see what you like rather than jumping right in.

15. Changing your special or heavy weapon will cause all of the ammo of that type to disappear with it. So you won't be able to use it again until you find ammo for it.

16. There is a vault in the tower that is shared by ALL your characters. I would also recommend storing items over level 8 prior to the maintenance in there as there is a chance that the cap will be raised come next Wednesday.

I guess they're waiting til 10am to give out the download code.  I'm on the site where they said they'd list them but it still says to come back  on July 17th. 

Yeah, codes are supposed to go up 10am pacific time.

Hopefully the server hit won't be too bad since a lot of people are at work. That's probably why they did it midday instead of evening/night. Get a bunch out of the way before people get home from work and really hit the servers.

If you pre-ordered digitally on PSN, you can begin downloading it right now:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/cid=UP0002-CUSA00756_00-DSTYBETACERTPS41

You will need to launch it to begin the rest of the download since what you get from the store is only 179MB. The post-launch is a 10.97GB download.

Sooooo, if you're at work and initiate the download from the store via your phone or the web it doesn't matter much. Once you get home and launch it, you have a much bigger download waiting.

Yep, site is down. So much for my theory. :lol:

They should have just e-mailed codes.

Not down for me. But I haven't received an email, and the Codes section of my account on bungie.net says, "Come back on July 17 for your codes!"

people are starting ot get codes from what i can tell on twitch. they are saying they got like six codes  :whee: i know everyone was getting 3 but six so seeing im signed up for both systems i will have 12 code all together. 

well i only got 3 codes

Who did they invite to the Alpha btw?
Alpha you signed up on website and they sent I guess a random number of people codes. I don't know anyone who didn't get one though.

Amazon also sent someout in the middle of the alpha. Seemingly to anyone who had bought or preordered and cancelled, a PS4, PS4 games etc. from them.

Beta is to anyone who has preordered.

Edit: Site loaded finally. Got my 3 codes.

Edit 2: But PSN store says it's under maintenance when I try and open it on PS4. :(

Got my codes.  Noticed that the PSN download is only 187 mb so that probably means the rest of the download is from Bungie's (hopefully faster) servers

Got my codes. Noticed that the PSN download is only 187 mb so that probably means the rest of the download is from Bungie's (hopefully faster) servers
Correct.

destiny_beta_installing.jpg

I didn't receive any codes yet, but I got one from a friend to download. So I don't have any spare yet for anybody lurking here. Just torment in the form of the screenshot above.

Meh, still can't get into the PSN store. And from GAF looks like it's down in multiple countries.

Sony needs to get their shit together. If PSN can't handle a Beta launch, how's it going to hold up for actual release days of online games?

i was able to redeem code on website but psn don't have auto download to system :/
You can go to your Download List on the site and queue it up for download. If your system is in standby or on, it will begin the download almost immediately.

EDIT: Found my codes on my Bungie profile. Haven't received an email yet, so I would check there if anybody is looking for one.

You can go to your Download List on the site and queue it up for download. If your system is in standby or on, it will begin the download almost immediately.

EDIT: Found my codes on my Bungie profile. Haven't received an email yet, so I would check there if you're looking for one.
seeing ps store is down might not download

I just check on the PSN store. I thought the beta was going to be for ps+ member. WTF is this about codes. fuck u bungie.

I just check on the PSN store. I thought the beta was going to be for ps+ member. WTF is this about codes. fuck u bungie.
Uh, it's always been this way for Destiny and was advertised as such everywhere. Japan is the only country that can play it by simply being subscribed to PS+.

Besides, everybody received at least 2 extra codes. There are going to be PLENTY to go around.

it was never said it was for ps plus members not sure where you got that from it was always pre order beta since game was announced last year

it was never said it was for ps plus members not sure where you got that from it was always pre order beta since game was announced last year
PlayStation Blog had it worded back in June that it was available for PS+ members, but they did go back and say it was worded incorrectly and only open for those who pre-ordered.

Ironically the PSN download was going a lot faster. Took me 2 minutes to download the 187mb client but i'm still only at 100mb downloaded for the actual game after 25 minutes.

*EDIT*

I went ahead and just closed out the program & re-opened. The download speeds boosted big time and in 30 seconds im already up to 10%.

Meh, still can't get into the PSN store. And from GAF looks like it's down in multiple countries.

Sony needs to get their shit together. If PSN can't handle a Beta launch, how's it going to hold up for actual release days of online games?
Yeah what the hell? That's disappointing. Wish I knew about the download feature for standby mode beforehand. Damn it. Sony is still learning the internet requirements of MMO's though so I imagine something like Destiny's beta is a huge leap for them. The bright side is this is just a beta launch so they have 2 months to work out the server issues. I guess on the bright side, this is a positive sign that Destiny will be in a good spot to smash some sales records come release day.

A lot of folks are at work so at least this gets to spread out the user activity. I'm giddy about playing beta tonight so I'm really hyped for this game. I haven't done so yet but I'm awfully tempted to take the day off of work for release day. I've yet to take the day off for any title/console release thus far though.

The bright side is this is just a beta launch so they have 2 months to work out the server issues. I guess on the bright side, this is a positive sign that Destiny will be in a good spot to smash some sales records come release day.
Yeah. And I wasn't thinking with my early post, but I'm sure the vast majority of Destiny sales will be physical copies, so it won't be such a huge rush of downloads on launch day.

They'd be wise to get pre-loads ready before this game and just be rolling out downloads the week or two before it goes live so everyone can just start playing at midnight.

Ironically the PSN download was going a lot faster. Took me 2 minutes to download the 187mb client but i'm still only at 100mb downloaded for the actual game after 25 minutes.
It went pretty fast for me thankfully. Hopefully once more people finish downloading it, it'll speed up for you.

Yeah what the hell? That's disappointing. Wish I knew about the download feature for standby mode beforehand. Damn it. Sony is still learning the internet requirements of MMO's though so I imagine something like Destiny's beta is a huge leap for them. The bright side is this is just a beta launch so they have 2 months to work out the server issues. I guess on the bright side, this is a positive sign that Destiny will be in a good spot to smash some sales records come release day.

A lot of folks are at work so at least this gets to spread out the user activity. I'm giddy about playing beta tonight so I'm really hyped for this game. I haven't done so yet but I'm awfully tempted to take the day off of work for release day. I've yet to take the day off for any title/console release thus far though.
Normally this would have hit me while I was at work. However with the Playstation store app and web, I would have tried to jump on it while at work. So more people are probably hitting it than one would think in an attempt to have it downloaded by the time they get home.

However they'll get boned once they go home, launch it and find out they have to download 10.97GB worth of data still.

ok got it downloading now seeing i redeem it online it let me view it in my digtal game list out of ps store.

11 gb install is much bigger then alpha so that 's awsome good chance this will take about 30-40 mins 

On the rare occasion (1 out of 10 tries if I'm lucky) I even get into the store, it closes when I go to View Downloads. Don't even press a button. It just closes. But PSN is fucked right now. I can't even access my damn game library. I highlight "Library", click X, and it says that service is undergoing maintenance. How is that even possible? 10 more minutes, then I say, "fuck it", go jack off and then play Banjo-Kazooie or something.

I got it fine by using the "redeem codes" in the XMB, not going into the store. (PS3 though)

Only a 5.6GB download for us PS3 plebs x) It could just be the initial download though.

have 2 PS4 codes hit me up all I ask is for an Add on PSN so i have atleast 1 person to play with.

I really don't understand why Sony has the right to charge people to play online when they can't even accommodate a mere beta crowd.  Sad.

Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. I still can't get into it. I got into redeem codes a few times on the PS4, entered codes, got to the confirm screen a couple times, but got an error on that. Stuck with the loading screen after entering the code for several minutes now. Haven't gotten the web store to load once.

Was hoping to get a few hours in before the fiance gets home from work, but that's not looking likely.

Finally have the damn thing downloading.

Found a tip on GAF to use this link to enter the code: http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/home/

It was a bit flaky and kept giving invalid code errors, but it eventually worked. No idea which of my 3 redeemed though.

Then it was just a matter of spamming the PS Store on PS4 until I could get into the download list and get that 179 mb download started. That took several tries, but downloaded fast once I got through. Then took two tries of launching the Beta to get connected to PSN and get the download from Bungie started. That seems to be going at an ok speed. Hopefully I'll be playing in an hour or so and have 3ish hours before the fiance gets home. :D

yes redeem online then go to digital game list far right side and click it and hope it stays open enough to click download on ps4 main download is only 100 some mb then a 11 gb install from bungie server took me about 1 hour to download

bread's done
Back