Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

In case you haven't read the latest news update:

Scoring Them Upgrades

Let’s talk a little bit more about what’s motivating this new economy designed to propel the evolution of your Guardian and the arsenal at your disposal. Here are the facts:

• Destiny will continue to provide new ways to evolve
  • Your existing items will still be effective in any encounter
  • The Dark Below will contain exclusive options to level up
  • More powerful Exotics will drop, or be sold by Xûr
  • More powerful Legendaries will drop, or be sold by vendors
  • More powerful Raid gear will drop - and more often!
  • More predictable options will upgrade beloved Exotics
  • Exotic upgrades purchased from Xûr replace weaker items
  • Exotic upgrade paths require much less time and material
  • An upgraded Exotic is more powerful right out of the box

Thorn_Upgraded_blog.jpg

If you’re a Level 30, you’re ready to tackle Crota’s End on Day One (more on that below). If you like your weapons just the way they are, you are welcome to keep them that way. You’ll find that they’re still enormously effective in just about any tactical scenario – even Iron Banner (more on that below).

In the months to come, your quest to become more powerful will have more avenues that lead to satisfaction. The last thing we wanted was for you to look at your favorite gun or helmet and decide that it had become obsolete. Since the reveal, we’ve read a lot of ideas for how this could have been done better. Your feedback is clear: The time you have invested in your stuff should be respected.

and the link for the full read:

http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update---12042014/en/News/News?aid=12447

I may end up paying more attention to Iron Banner this time around since it'll have level 31 gear for sale.  I'll first see how my luck goes with the new raid.

Your feedback is clear: The time you have invested in your stuff should be respected.
That gives me some hope that they can do things better in the future. I am looking at the upgraded exotics in a different way now. We can keep them the same and they will still be effective, but if we want we can make them even better. Its an option we can choose, and it wont take as long as it did the first time we leveled them up. So that is good news. I already bought 5 exotic shards for the future, and i still have 170 strange coins left.

So the iron banner is coming back, but will the armor actually go up to 32 now? If it stays at 30, then the only reason to get it for me is to complete the iron banner armor set. I dont need the other pieces to get to 30, and Crotas End armor is going to be better than iron banner if it only goes up to 30. Unless there is some way to upgrade them just like the exotic guns. Level them up again to gain it up to 32. But i think that would be too easy to get players to 32. The goal of hitting 32 will keep people playing Crotas End more and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, good chance that there will be no raid and Dark Below for me next week.  Just had my house broken into, and my PS4+destiny got stolen, along with about $5000 worth of other electronics.  Everyone is safe, and I have insurance and such, but it'll likely put a hamper in my Destiny playing for a while.

Yes, I realize there are other more important things.

So the iron banner is coming back, but will the armor actually go up to 32 now? If it stays at 30, then the only reason to get it for me is to complete the iron banner armor set. I dont need the other pieces to get to 30, and Crotas End armor is going to be better than iron banner if it only goes up to 30. Unless there is some way to upgrade them just like the exotic guns. Level them up again to gain it up to 32. But i think that would be too easy to get players to 32. The goal of hitting 32 will keep people playing Crotas End more and more.
Here's what they said about IB:

Iron Banner!

• Lord Saladin returns to the Tower on December 16th
  • He’ll reset Event Standings – like a new season
  • Level 31 inventory can be earned by winners
  • The Dark Below will not be required to compete
Suppose to be LVL 31 gear.

So, good chance that there will be no raid and Dark Below for me next week. Just had my house broken into, and my PS4+destiny got stolen, along with about $5000 worth of other electronics. Everyone is safe, and I have insurance and such, but it'll likely put a hamper in my Destiny playing for a while.
That sucks man. Important thing is that everyone's safe.

Wishing you better times.

So, good chance that there will be no raid and Dark Below for me next week. Just had my house broken into, and my PS4+destiny got stolen, along with about $5000 worth of other electronics. Everyone is safe, and I have insurance and such, but it'll likely put a hamper in my Destiny playing for a while.

Wow. That's really awful. I'm sorry to hear about that but thankfully everyone's safe and you have insurance. Just like aFrostyONE said, I wish you better times ahead as well.

Just awful. I wish you the best and, as everyone has said, that's absolutely number one that your family is safe. As much as I despise burglars (absolutely hate them) I would give up all of it gladly so long as my family was okay. Best of luck and a quick insurance claim.

I was also finally coming to this thread to try to friend up before DLC week. I'm level 27 since I don't usually have a block of time to do raids but I will if it is early enough. I do pretty much everything in the game at some point so add me if you want someone extra on your list to knock out weekly stuff, nightfalls, or whatever.

3 days till i return and check out Dark Below. Haven't logged into destiny since september. Im ready to go back in real soon. Glad i waited on dem patches

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad everyone is safe and that you have insurance. I hope you can get everything worked out quickly.

Well i guess i just locked my future self into this game even more, i bought the 35 dollar destiny DLC pack today. Hope i dont regret it. haha. Hope to do the Crotas End raid tuesday night!

PS. Sorry to hear about your situtation Madcatz. Hope everything gets resolved soon.

Well i guess i just locked my future self into this game even more, i bought the 35 dollar destiny DLC pack today. Hope i dont regret it. haha. Hope to do the Crotas End raid tuesday night!

PS. Sorry to hear about your situtation Madcatz. Hope everything gets resolved soon.
Lol ended up giving into the whole thing didn't ya? After last night and then running it again even later and getting nothing, but mats, I really do look forward to Raiding on Tuesday and see if we actually do get something better than well nothing :wall:

Are you guys thinking the same time as last night? 9:00 ish Est?

Note: And sorry to hear madcatz. Everyone being all right is what matters and hopefully the claim process goes smoothly.

One of us... One of us... :twisted:

Just got Destiny today, no idea what I'm doing but im coming along for the ride
Hey, welcome to the party. We got some really neat gifts and prizes, best of all they're "free". All you gotta do is play the game... :twisted:

Hey guys I just got a PS4 and this game from the back of some dudes truck. Slightly used with some weird white stains all over the copy of Destiny and someone named Madcatz on it oh well. 

but in all seriousness I hope you find out who did it and they go to "pound me in the ass" prison. 

harder and harder to find a group for hard mode. everyones looking for 30s and not even accepting 29s. hate this. really hope vanguard sell light 30 armors on day 1. hate this discrimination for lvl 29s. sorry for being unlucky and not being a PVP oriented player. sheesh!

[quote name="NeedleInTheHay" post="12309571" timestamp="1417989926"]So I just hit level 20, can someone explain to me like I'm an idiot how to keep leveling up? Something about light gear?[/quote]

You have to buy legendary armors (purple colored armors) from your class vanguard in the tower. It cost vanguard marks which you get from various activities like weeklies, dailies, nightfalls and strikes. Or get lucky with drops now that ur lvl 20.

So I just hit level 20, can someone explain to me like I'm an idiot how to keep leveling up? Something about light gear?
All level 20 gear has "light" on it. 21 light gets you to level 21, then every 11 light after that gets you one more level. Rares (blues) go up to 15 light (max, some are less), most legendaries (purple) go up to 27 (some special legendaries, like raid gear or IB gear, go up to 30 light), and exotic gear goes up to 30 light.

Also note that light on armor goes up as you buy defense upgrades. If you examine a piece, it'll show the maximum light level on it.

harder and harder to find a group for hard mode. everyones looking for 30s and not even accepting 29s. hate this. really hope vanguard sell light 30 armors on day 1. hate this discrimination for lvl 29s. sorry for being unlucky and not being a PVP oriented player. sheesh!
You can get to level 30 without PvP or hard raids. Just need to find an exotic helmet, or buy one from Xur.

[quote name="madcatz1999" post="12309684" timestamp="1417993153"]You can get to level 30 without PvP or hard raids. Just need to find an exotic helmet, or buy one from Xur.[/quote]
Until the add on that will only take you to 28.

Yeah the social aspects of this game are really down the drain just like society in general I suppose. Now that the Templar can be cheesed as easily as before a run can last way longer, more if you don't have a good team or some are low level.

A 29 can do a ton of damage too, but its best if the team has at least 4 30s. I have my warlock and hunter both in the 29s so I feel ya man. I ran a raid a couple weeks back through LFG with my 30 Titan. A 29 hunter popped in and had pretty good equipment. He was complaining about being kicked from other groups as soon as they saw his level. We were 5 30s so bringing him would not cause any issues, heck any 29 can take a couple shots before falling, just don't make the guy carry the relic or go through portals and everything will be fine.

Moral of the story: Once you get a group of friends stick to them like there is no tomorrow :grouphug:

Until the add on that will only take you to 28.
You can get the boots, chest, and gloves on normal mode. Plus exotic helmet = level 30.

You can get to level 29 without any raid gear at all, in fact. 3 pieces of vanguard eq + 1 exotic will get you to 29.

Finally pushed my warlock to 20 this morning :D/ ... man that felt like forever. Fun fact: my 'lock was the 2nd toon I created and sat mostly unused for 2 months.

At least I was able to push it up to lvl 26 a minute later (had a full kit ready to go from random loot drops ;) ).

Now to see if friends will take pity and carry me thru the higher level stuff :-({|=

BTW, I still can't get used to a warlocks jump, after running titans for so long. It just feels... impotent :lol: .

Is there a better jump I'll eventually unlock???

So I just hit level 20, can someone explain to me like I'm an idiot how to keep leveling up? Something about light gear?
You've pretty much been told how you get higher levels... I would add that you should try to buy the necessary armor instead of waiting for NotoriousR.N.G. to take pity on you . Which means earning Vanguard marks (or crucible marks) for the regular legendary armors and getting strange coins in order to buy an exotic armor from Xur . You can earn up to 100 marks per week, of each type, so don't miss out

And alot of changes are coming on Tuesday ( for buying lendary armor ), so if you can sneak in at least one purchase before Tuesday... DO IT !!!

If you're runnning with friends, see if they'll help carry you thru the strikes which are higher level than you currently are.

I'm hoping to have some friends help me with my newly minted lvl 26 warlock ;) . Particularly doing the level 28 Nightfalls and weekly's.

I want to hit 29 ASAP in order to run the Hard raids

That sucks but it kinda shows that those guys aren't very strong players. And they probably need 30's to cover their own weaknesses. Just last night a friend asked for help on Atheon Hard. Turns out it'll be me & another 30, three 29's and one 28. I stuck it out to help my friend, but knew it was gonna be a b-yotch to get done.

I'm in no way the best at the raid, but I don't shy away from tackling the challenge. It's how I've improved and how I've gotten to a point where I can handle most duties in the raid

Yeah the social aspects of this game are really down the drain just like society in general I suppose. Now that the Templar can be cheesed as easily as before a run can last way longer, more if you don't have a good team or some are low level.

A 29 can do a ton of damage too, but its best if the team has at least 4 30s. I have my warlock and hunter both in the 29s so I feel ya man. I ran a raid a couple weeks back through LFG with my 30 Titan. A 29 hunter popped in and had pretty good equipment. He was complaining about being kicked from other groups as soon as they saw his level. We were 5 30s so bringing him would not cause any issues, heck any 29 can take a couple shots before falling, just don't make the guy carry the relic or go through portals and everything will be fine.

Moral of the story: Once you get a group of friends stick to them like there is no tomorrow :grouphug:
This... when you have a good experience with players, friend request them. They'll be more willing to help than any ole randoms.

I run on PS3 and will be glad to help when possible. Just friend me PSN ID= WiiDaLoser

BTW, I still can't get used to a warlocks jump, after running titans for so long. It just feels... impotent :lol: .
Is there a better jump I'll eventually unlock???
The secret is double tapping jump as quickly as possible. Unless you're trying to get underneath a ledge or through a doorway or something, there's almost no instance in where you want to hit the second jump at any time except as early as possible. I never saw that much difference in the upgrades that give you an initial boost, but there's a big difference in how much control you have between the 2nd and 3rd one. There's almost never any point in using anything except the 4th one, though, once you unlock it.

All level 20 gear has "light" on it. 21 light gets you to level 21, then every 11 light after that gets you one more level. Rares (blues) go up to 15 light (max, some are less), most legendaries (purple) go up to 27 (some special legendaries, like raid gear or IB gear, go up to 30 light), and exotic gear goes up to 30 light.

Also note that light on armor goes up as you buy defense upgrades. If you examine a piece, it'll show the maximum light level on it.
Okay I have a helmet and chest armor with light in it but neither reached level 21. I have 13 crucible marks, does it really take 75 to buy anything?

What would be the fastest way to level up my armor? Thanks in advance.

Okay I have a helmet and chest armor with light in it but neither reached level 21. I have 13 crucible marks, does it really take 75 to buy anything?

What would be the fastest way to level up my armor? Thanks in advance.
In all honesty...grind the crap out of the game. Unless you are willing to spend and sink countless hours into it you won't see any benefits. Do the bounties, hope for good stuff to be dropped, upgrade your armor and repeat. Once you can do strikes stick to Tiger and keep on repeating over and over again until you hit 26. Then you can tackle the VoG and also do the nightfall so you can get an extra % on everything you do.

It sounds horrible, but here you have a bunch of fools that have at least 1 character (if not more...lucky bastards) and have done the same thing for the past three months, and will prolly play the crap out of the game coming Tuesday.

Okay I have a helmet and chest armor with light in it but neither reached level 21.
The equipment doesn't level up, it always stays level 20. If you go to your character screen, on the top-right, you'll see your light level. That's what can go up to 30. If the amount of light on all of your pieces combined is over 21, then your light level will be level 21.

Once everyone gets to 31 or 32 with the new content and next Iron Banner it will make the original raid much easier right? Or are they changing the levels? Maybe there wont be any reason to play it once you are past 30...except for fun.

Once everyone gets to 31 or 32 with the new content and next Iron Banner it will make the original raid much easier right? Or are they changing the levels? Maybe there wont be any reason to play it once you are past 30...except for fun.
There is speculation that they'll make a lvl 32 version for VOG raid, with better loot. I'm hoping we can get lvl 32 version of the legendary raid weapons from the VOG.

If i get to 32 i wouldnt mind running the VOG on normal for the flawless raider trophy.

I read somewhere that according to Bungie the VoG is supposed to be their "hardest" raid. So Flawless Raider might be possible in Crota's End if it is in fact easier.

Does anyone know when the expansion stuff unlocks? Is it when the PSN store updates (Tuesday afternoon) or whenever Bungie says? Anyone have any hard info?

Has anyone found out how big the ps4 download is?
We've already downloaded it. There's a small 1MB update that's live right now and that's all that is left.

Also, I finally went ahead and bought TDB. Been sitting on $20 PSN credit for a week now trying to decide. Problem is, now I can't even launch Destiny until TDB goes live because of the stupid countdown timer PSN decided to give me. Apparently the only fix is to re-download Destiny. Yeah that's not gonna happen. I'll just wait until tomorrow to play.

Oh yeah I forgot about trophies...I still need the one for finishing with clan members only and also flawless obviously LOL...I dont think I've ever not died at least once by falling off of something or shooting a rocket into my own face when someone drops a bubble or something equally hilarous of that nature.

We've already downloaded it. There's a small 1MB update that's live right now and that's all that is left.

Also, I finally went ahead and bought TDB. Been sitting on $20 PSN credit for a week now trying to decide. Problem is, now I can't even launch Destiny until TDB goes live because of the stupid countdown timer PSN decided to give me. Apparently the only fix is to re-download Destiny. Yeah that's not gonna happen. I'll just wait until tomorrow to play.
Oh so no big update like last week huh... I don't mind :) .

I want to try out everything as it goes live, but doubt I will. Can't have any more zombie workdays

Today's Daily is really quick and simple. Half the time is wasted in traveling to the building and then waiting for Ghost to open the door.

All you need to do is get past the hive and then kill the wizard (just bring solar weapons for the wizard).

I was able to knock it out for two toons this morning before work, in under 5min each. And that was killing more enemies than I needed to.

Finally got my first alt up to 20... Then 30... Boy what a slog that was.

Anyone down for weekly/nightfall/raid tonight before the reset? Blainex on psn

Anybody wanna knock out atheon hard 2nyt and wanna carry my lvl 29 char? I have the checkpoint. Hehe! Ill probably be on til the reset.

So, I think 7th actually managed to join my daily on my hunter while the bullet that killed the wizard was in flight lol.

So, I think 7th actually managed to join my daily on my hunter while the bullet that killed the wizard was in flight lol.
I joined and i think when i finally spawned there was the countdown timer after the mission was over, and i got the rewards. LOL I love when that happens. :) Thanks!

Wow im glad the only thing i need to download is a 1MB file, which i think i already did download. So tomorrow i can hop on and play some missions with arjay and raid later in the night!

They already upped the daily heroic story mission to 30 on hard, but since it was the first level of the game, it was still quick and simple.

I really hope they don't bump up the difficulty of VoG. It should stay 28-30. And the rewards should stay the same as well. Really wouldn't be interested in redoing VoG twenty times to get the weapons I want.

bread's done
Back