Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

So I just read that there wont be any trading of guns/gear between other players or friends in the game. That kinda sucks, it was very helpful in BL.

Now that you mention it i remember a few times when i would melee someone and they would die a second later. I just figured that it was some kind of attack that drained their power over time and once hit, they eventually lost enough power to die if they were weak enough.
:rofl:

[quote name="Sir_Fragalot" post="11945480" timestamp="1406028827"]A lot of MMO's have bind to character on pickup. It sucks but what can you do.[/quote]
They do that to deter players laying claims of looks that the players has no intention to use or cannot use. Sure, they can still claim and sell to a vendor but they're getting a lot less than on the open market.

What I'm hoping for is trades, such as crafting of arms or armour or vehicles or weapon mods of some kind or banners, stuff like that. They do have item gathering from plants in the beta but it's very basic and there's not much you can do with it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was playing with my friend last night and we came across a place called the "grotto", the enemies had question marks next to their name. Of course our weapons didn't make a dent and we were one shot killed. I coulnd't even drive my pike through real quick, it would get blown up in 2 seconds lol
My favorite is still the Hive vs Fallen War in the Skywatch and Rocketyard area. There is a message of "Enemy forces are moving against each other." So many Wizards, Elite Reavers, Servitors, and Captains battle it out. :whee:

Is that where they're all level 4's? I saw a similar battle go down in an area where they were all 4's. It confused the crap out me at first and so I took everybody out just to be safe haha.

I'm glad I got in on the beta, I was very iffy on buying this game and the beta pretty much sold me even though I only got to play for a few hours so far. I am still worried about the multi player aspect of it. One of my games I had some guy just following me around dancing and melee attacking me for a good 20 minutes. I wasn't sure what he was wanting to do other than try to be annoying, I ignored him and went about my game but that is the sort of thing I wish I could just turn off... I want a solo destiny experience or very deliberate co-op, not random people in my game. 

[quote name="iwannadie" post="11946634" timestamp="1406056760"]I'm glad I got in on the beta, I was very iffy on buying this game and the beta pretty much sold me even though I only got to play for a few hours so far. I am still worried about the multi player aspect of it. One of my games I had some guy just following me around dancing and melee attacking me for a good 20 minutes. I wasn't sure what he was wanting to do other than try to be annoying, I ignored him and went about my game but that is the sort of thing I wish I could just turn off... I want a solo destiny experience or very deliberate co-op, not random people in my game. [/quote]
Shotgun. Problem solved.

I find that if anything you're most exposed once you're airborne because you're totally committed to that jump after you double tap.

One of my games I had some guy just following me around dancing and melee attacking me for a good 20 minutes. I wasn't sure what he was wanting to do other than try to be annoying
Aww...you had a buddy and you just ignored him? :grouphug:

http://youtu.be/f04dCPPuP04

man was busy all this weekend with baby stuff and never got around to playing this, whens it come back up?

NEED that permanent beta reward....

Bungie: "Surprise, Matt! You thought you were going to get shit done tonight? Think again, motherfucker!"

Honestly, my experience with the Destiny beta has been the closest I've ever come to experiencing how I imagine a crackhead feels when he/she uses. It's so addictive.

Hopping on to the PS3 version now just to try it out.  Have friends with the 360 version so I'll hop on there...  Then I'll hop on the PS4 version when my PS4 arrives tomorrow!

[quote name="gthirst" post="11947604" timestamp="1406074449"]Hopping on to the PS3 version now just to try it out. Have friends with the 360 version so I'll hop on there... Then I'll hop on the PS4 version when my PS4 arrives tomorrow![/quote]
Congrats on the new PS4. Great investment. :)

I'm not really sure how I feel about Destiny... On principal anyway because I was playing through a single player mission and I got booted because I lost connection to server. I'm sorry, but I really don't like that and I'm not entirely sure if that's just something that's happening because it's beta or if they're going for a persistent online shooter with no offline mode even if you don't want to play with others for whatever reason. A huge concern for me is that I still play older games, so if it requires servers in order to function then one day it will inevitably no longer function.

Hell, I just purchased Wolfenstein 3D today for the Atari Jaguar and it still works. To me it just seems weird that we may be getting to a time where non-MMOs cease to function because of weird persistent online stuff and Atari Jaguar games still work while some PS3 or PS4 game might not. It's one of the main reasons why I was really pissed off at the Xbox One reveal and pretty much swore off Xbox products. 

Destiny beta on x1 is same stuff on PS4, right?
Kind of. I was reading that the Xbox One beta is 900p vs PS4's 1080p. BUT that isn't indicative of the final release, which Bungie has outright said will be 1080p (locked at 30 fps) on both consoles . . . they just couldn't prep the beta version for Xbox One to that state in time for the "public" offering.

Other than for that graphical discrepancy (which is only in the beta), it's all the same supposedly.

As much as I love the single player and coop stuff so far, I absolutely hate the competitive MP. Every round I played this morning was nothing but people with sniper rifles and hand cannons that one-shotted everyone while taking hit after hit and barely losing anything from their shield.

[quote name="Fearia" post="11948734" timestamp="1406097143"]Kind of. I was reading that the Xbox One beta is 900p vs PS4's 1080p. BUT that isn't indicative of the final release, which Bungie has outright said will be 1080p (locked at 30 fps) on both consoles . . . they just couldn't prep the beta version for Xbox One to that state in time for the "public" offering.

Other than for that graphical discrepancy (which is only in the beta), it's all the same supposedly.[/quote]
If it's all the same that would have to mean that they didn't fully utilize the PS4's power but I find that hard to believe because Sony invited Bungie in at the ground floor of the PS4's design phase. Bungie had input on the design of the console.

[quote name="AdvOfJet" post="11949194" timestamp="1406124527"]As much as I love the single player and coop stuff so far, I absolutely hate the competitive MP. Every round I played this morning was nothing but people with sniper rifles and hand cannons that one-shotted everyone while taking hit after hit and barely losing anything from their shield.[/quote]
Have you tried killing them at they're own game? Hand cannons are tough to use.

Every shooter has people who want to abuse the one headshot kill weapons. There are ways to combat this although if you encounter a really good sniper I agree that he's gonna make your life hell unless you're going to ignore the match and start hunting him... And at that point it's not as much fun but oh the satisfaction that comes from tbagging him all the same.

[quote name="ApolloSupreme" post="11949220" timestamp="1406125300"]Have you tried killing them at they're own game? Hand cannons are tough to use.Every shooter has people who want to abuse the one headshot kill weapons. There are ways to combat this although if you encounter a really good sniper I agree that he's gonna make your life hell unless you're going to ignore the match and start hunting him... And at that point it's not as much fun but oh the satisfaction that comes from tbagging him all the same.[/quote]
I'm not even talking about getting hit with a head shot .. it's head .. Foot .. whatever and still one hit and down and not from a sniper position either just running around with the rifle.

Maybe my sniper rifle sucks or maybe it's how I use it (long range, primarily guarding point B and watching the turret near A) but unless I hit the head clean I might need two, maybe three shots to get the job done. Hitting a long range target that's jumping crouching and ducking in and out of cover is tough, especially if the first shot hits the body and then he's alerted to being targeted by a sniper...

I tried hand cannons. It seems like I get cut down pretty easy by scout rifles and full autos that are nailing me from mid range. Closed quarters is the only place I had luck, so I pretty much view it as a shot gun and as such I prefer to have a shotgun as my secondary.

I appreciate how skilled you have to be to dominate with those two classes of weapons. I'm thinking those guys will control the map with whatever they use. Shooters are probably their life so don't sweat it. :D

I didnt even realize until last night that you can store guns, gear, etc in the vault and you can go back with any character and get them back. Nice way to share items with your other characters. I stored all the items i had that were level 9, because no way i can use them in the beta, but dont want to throw them away really in case they carry over.

Wow, I did not know that. Where is the vault?
When you first enter the tower just go straight and a little to the right, there are 3 small towers that have 3 ATM like machines on each side. Its between Master Rahool the Cryptarch, and Kadi 55-30 the Postmaster. Really easy to find. Ive always gone to them but never really figured out that when you are in the vault menu you can hit options to go to your character and highlight your gear and it will say store instead of dismantle.

I'm not really sure how I feel about Destiny... On principal anyway because I was playing through a single player mission and I got booted because I lost connection to server. I'm sorry, but I really don't like that and I'm not entirely sure if that's just something that's happening because it's beta or if they're going for a persistent online shooter with no offline mode even if you don't want to play with others for whatever reason. A huge concern for me is that I still play older games, so if it requires servers in order to function then one day it will inevitably no longer function.

Hell, I just purchased Wolfenstein 3D today for the Atari Jaguar and it still works. To me it just seems weird that we may be getting to a time where non-MMOs cease to function because of weird persistent online stuff and Atari Jaguar games still work while some PS3 or PS4 game might not. It's one of the main reasons why I was really pissed off at the Xbox One reveal and pretty much swore off Xbox products.
Well, I asked on the Destiny help boards and it does seem that the game does require an active internet connection. It's unfortunate that Bungie/Activision didn't find it necessary to include that in any of their product descriptions. It looks like I'll be cancelling my pre-order after all.

I tried hand cannons. It seems like I get cut down pretty easy by scout rifles and full autos that are nailing me from mid range.
Hand cannons are completely outclassed by scout rifles. There is no reason to use them in PvE or PvP unless you just want to try something different. :lol:

I've played a good amount of Destiny (thank you, Strange) and I do like the game. Even in Beta form. the game plays beautifully and looks amazing. A lot of customization and stuff to collect. I like the mix of Halo and Borderlands. I did have a smooth run with multiplayer but I wonder what kind of people will be regulars come September. Since the game releases before my birthday, I might ask for it as a gift from my brother's family. I really believe Bungie has a big winner here.

[quote name="Supplice" post="11949849" timestamp="1406137991"]Hand cannons are completely outclassed by scout rifles. There is no reason to use them in PvE or PvP unless you just want to try something different. :lol:[/quote]
Yeah, especially on a map like the moon map.

There are many long corridors on the Venus map as well but still many places for a handcanon to smoke you. Still, I don't go in those areas unless I have a shotgun.

If it's all the same that would have to mean that they didn't fully utilize the PS4's power but I find that hard to believe because Sony invited Bungie in at the ground floor of the PS4's design phase. Bungie had input on the design of the console.
both systms run destiny at 1080 p 30 fps. bungie already said only reason it's 1080 p is because microsoft free up stuff from kinect which allowed it to be bumped from 900 p to 1080 p. Expect this to happen with alot more triple A games. Thanks to ms being smart most aaa 3rd party games will start bein g1080 p on xbone.

[quote name="KillerRamen" post="11949660" timestamp="1406134173"]Well, I asked on the Destiny help boards and it does seem that the game does require an active internet connection. It's unfortunate that Bungie/Activision didn't find it necessary to include that in any of their product descriptions. It looks like I'll be cancelling my pre-order after all.[/quote]

Yeah, this is definitely a downside - when they sunset support there probably won't be any way to go back and play. It's happened before (see Chromehounds on the 360, or Steel Battalion 2 on the XBox) and it'll happen again (Titanfall is probably a good candidate - what is it with the mech games? ;-) )

Yeah, this is definitely a downside - when they sunset support there probably won't be any way to go back and play. It's happened before (see Chromehounds on the 360, or Steel Battalion 2 on the XBox) and it'll happen again (Titanfall is probably a good candidate - what is it with the mech games? ;-) )
hmmm. hope they open this game up to offline fun in the future. would be a real shame to be 100% dependent on data transfer speed.

Yeah, was playing the beta just now and it started storming in the area so lost connection to the server. fuck that. Should at least be able to play offline. I'll still get the game but really hate the "always-on" mindset some developers have.

[quote name="gregleg" post="11950619" timestamp="1406151082"]Yeah, this is definitely a downside - when they sunset support there probably won't be any way to go back and play. It's happened before (see Chromehounds on the 360, or Steel Battalion 2 on the XBox) and it'll happen again (Titanfall is probably a good candidate - what is it with the mech games? ;-) )[/quote]
But it's a social game. Does WOW mention this on the box? That's an honest question, I don't know.

When I read about the game I knew right away you would need a connection. Almost everything about the game is public oriented.

For me, it's fine. I mean if I bought a COD I would spend 10hours off line for the first few weeks and a huge amount of time online after that.

[quote name="TimboSliceGB" post="11950373" timestamp="1406146858"]both systms run destiny at 1080 p 30 fps. bungie already said only reason it's 1080 p is because microsoft free up stuff from kinect which allowed it to be bumped from 900 p to 1080 p. Expect this to happen with alot more triple A games. Thanks to ms being smart most aaa 3rd party games will start bein g1080 p on xbone.[/quote]
Wait... If I'm not mistaken, wasn't one of the big marketing gimmicks that Microsoft was pushing and a thing that they genuinely had a leg up on Sony was Kinect? So you're telling me now that the Xbone is essentially just a less powerful console with no real defining feature beyond being able to control your cable box?

Maybe there will be an offline option in the retail game, and its always online because its a beta and they are looking at things and how people play. Cant really get much feedback if people are playing a beta offline.

Maybe there will be an offline option in the retail game, and its always online because its a beta and they are looking at things and how people play. Cant really get much feedback if people are playing a beta offline.
Doubt it, and it's always online because everything is stored server side.

If that's the case why was the limited beta download so large?
Because the game content and world itself isn't all streaming. The base content is in the downloaded/installed file. I honesy don't know exactly the right way to explain what I mean but I'm sure someone else can elaborate.

bread's done
Back