Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

Guys, believe it or not I'm going to take advantage of the Edge Platinum membership 7 day return policy and get a full credit back for this game. Don't get me wrong, the game can be fun and has a lot of potential but I'm at level 12 or 13 and I'm just not feeling it enough to continue at this price tag. I really tried to love it but at around $75 counting tax I'm not getting my moneys worth for what I want. I feel I can have more fun with $20 Minecraft. There will be more shooters coming soon. I think the next COD has a lot of potential.
Fair enough. My friends and I are enjoying the game right now but it does leave a lot to be desired. These are my issues that I have.

No story to speak of

Repetitive missions

Dull worlds that offers little reason for exploring

Bullet sponge bosses that take too long to defeat

No communication options in the tower

No Matchmaking for when your friends are unavailable

Lack of customization options

Unbalanced MP

I dont see this game having legs, just like Titanfall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im level 12 or 13 right now, just unlocked venus. But i still have a couple moon missions left to go.

Played some pvp and its alright. Sometimes i feel like i do enough damage to kill someone and they dont die. Like throw a nade at someone, then shoot them, and melee them and they still have half their life bar after they kill me. I try to use automatic guns in pvp because i think its easier to hit the target with. Then i always die with one shot from a shotgun. :/ But ive had a few good games, positive K/D and we won. But right now im more interested in the story.
The life bar can be a little deceptive. Remember that you have ~3 times as much armor/shields as you do health. So if you got someone to half health, you were actually 7/8th of the way to killing them.

(I'm assuming this is how it works, at least)

Yeah I'm on the fence about this game, granted I didn't play the beta, but I only got this because of an insane deal. Not knocking it, I just don't think I have the time to put into it.

Yup. Bandwidth aside this should never be a problem for any online game on any platform. It's based on user ID, not IP.
Alright, I figured it would be fine. But wanted to make sure before going out and buy two copies of a game I only plan on playing with my buddy.

Ugh. Just went on the worst strike mission I've had so far. It was the one with the tank boss. We had to redo the tank 3 times because 1 guy thought it would be okay to just stand in 1 spot and get nuked while the other guy kept charging in with his super when the boss had low health..

At least I got a legendary out of it..

I am getting the worst loot in this game just hit level 20 and got maybe under 10 blue and everything else green!
I didn't get a single blue piece before I hit level 20 today. After I hit 20, I got 1 from the daily story mission (I think), and 2 from my first vanguard strike.

Edit: starting to roll in the blues now, getting 2 or 3 per vanguard strike it seems.

I got one blue piece, and i think it was gloves.

If anyone wants to do some strikes tonight just send me a message. You have to be level 18 i think to even do the first one. So far i am loving this game.

I got one blue piece, and i think it was gloves.

If anyone wants to do some strikes tonight just send me a message. You have to be level 18 i think to even do the first one. So far i am loving this game.
Around what time? I'm taking a break now to eat and stuff but I plan on hopping back on a little later. I've been dying to try out some strikes so I'd be game.

Also, I've been pretty lucky with gear. No legendary or exotic yet but I'm looking good so far...

2w1unvk.jpg

Also, I've been pretty lucky with gear. No legendary or exotic yet but I'm looking good so far...
Nice. You get all that from crucible, then? I haven't done crucible since I hit 20 yet (about to). Just the level 20 strikes, and haven't gotten anything with more than 5 light yet (haven't done that much, though).

I hate the pvp giveaway. Im consistently top score and dont get jack, while those at the bottom get 2 items. Still have yet to get a legendary item.

It sucks that the weekly strike has no matchmaking, so if anyone wants to team up feel free to add me. 

egizz

All of the secondary subclasses are all defensive for each class. Probably good for doing strikes and raids but not that fun solo.

Nice. You get all that from crucible, then? I haven't done crucible since I hit 20 yet (about to). Just the level 20 strikes, and haven't gotten anything with more than 5 light yet (haven't done that much, though).
Nope all my gear I've acquired through looting solo. I have yet to touch the Crucible or done anything outside of solo.

Edit: Just farming for spinmetal and I picked up two rare engrams and a rare ship schematic. (My second of the day.)

Just beat the story, wow the last level is just another mission and no big badass final boss or anything, so uneventful. Still need 2 more levels to get to lvl 20. 

How do u get vanguard marks? 

How do u get vanguard marks?
Easiest way is by doing vanguard strikes. Level 20s and up give marks (if you hover your cursor over them, they'll tell how much). The daily story missions and weekly strikes also give marks. Trading in material can also get you marks (along with other stuff), either crucible marks or vanguard marks depending on who you trade it into).

Might be a dumb question, but how do I access the strike playlists I keep reading about?
They unlock at level 18. They'll show up on the orbit screen as "vanguard"

I love how everyone abandons the Earth strike mission when they get it through the playlist. Probably the worst strike mission to get imo.

Another new Bungie.net Emblem Code:

A7L-FYC-44X

It's for Emblem: Flames of Forgotten Truth. Too lazy to add links this time.

So, I've noticed that the light level on my armor is actually changing (I think...not 100% positive).  I'm not exactly sure when it changed, though.  Anyone know how this mechanic works?  Did it just change when I upgraded it?  Do these missions that say "armor upgrade" have anything to do with it?  Does it just increase as you gain exp while wearing the items?  Will it keep increasing, or does it only increase a little bit?  Or am I just imagining it, and it didn't actually change to begin with?

Edit:  Starting to think I was just imagining it.

If anyone wants to fireteam up and take out the Weekly Strike lmk.  It is the Devil's Nest one from Earth, so I know I wont be able to do the spiderbot solo (I can barely survive the part where U have to get rid of the laser grid) as even though i'm level 22 w/ good defense, the enemies still hit super hard

Another code that I haven't posted before for another Emblem:

N3L-XN6-PXF

It's for Emblem: The Unimagined Plane.

If anyone wants to fireteam up and take out the Weekly Strike lmk. It is the Devil's Nest one from Earth, so I know I wont be able to do the spiderbot solo (I can barely survive the part where U have to get rid of the laser grid) as even though i'm level 22 w/ good defense, the enemies still hit super hard
That's because they all deal Arc damage and Arc damage is buffed from the modifier. I'm level 25 and still died in very easily from even Dregs when I did it last night. Since there is no revive timer, it makes it much more difficult as well. Particularly in the defense wave early on and the waves from the final boss. Oh and like 70% of the enemies are armored.

If you have an Arc Rocket Launcher or an Arc Sniper/Fusion Rifle, I would highly suggest using it for the mission. Normally the Rocket Launcher does 2k damage for me but it was hitting for 7k+ when I used it during the strike. Same with the Sniper, which was hitting for 4k a hit.

If anyone wants to fireteam up and take out the Weekly Strike lmk. It is the Devil's Nest one from Earth, so I know I wont be able to do the spiderbot solo (I can barely survive the part where U have to get rid of the laser grid) as even though i'm level 22 w/ good defense, the enemies still hit super hard
When I hit level 21, I was gonna start looking for a group. If you don't mind having a level 21, I'll join ya.

P.S. Took me a while to realize you had joined my fireteam last night. Sorry if I ignored you for a while =P~

Lemme tell ya something arite:

My entire opinion of Destiny based on the beta has been invalidated by the completely amazing work of the final product by develops.

I love this game, and I think its great, best shooter ive played since Far Cry 3, I mean this thing is at the level of borderlands, which was my favorite FPS, but this is even better, and I am told by my girlfriend whos an former xbox player, that this is halo + BL2. if that's really what destiny is, I vote FPS of year, perhaps GOTY if it turns out to be more fun than the last of us in the end for me.

Great game. I spent hours playing BL2, but what I didn't like was the lack of AI Shooters and less melee attacks besides super bosses. Its like your either getting shot to shit or you are getting pummelled. I like this game because it has the RPG of BL 2 (actually it looks like they nearly copied it) and then you got the AI of KZ coop and like really good survival shooter type matches

I don't really get the MP but Im glad they have one, I thought it was all online. Also don't understand the interaction of other people during your match, for instance....if its your story mission, and they are playing but not in your fireteam, do you share the loot picked up or from enemies killed, or like BL2 first come first served and one only?

Anyway, GREAT fucking game.

Funniest part: MY WOMAN PLAYS IT MORE THAN ME cuz she used to be addicted to halo, so I barely get to play now on weekends.

if its your story mission, and they are playing but not in your fireteam, do you share the loot picked up or from enemies killed, or like BL2 first come first served and one only?
All loot, ammo, etc that you see is for you. Everyone gets their own stuff, which I LOVE about this game. I hate dashing towards loot to have a chance to get something new.

All loot, ammo, etc that you see is for you. Everyone gets their own stuff, which I LOVE about this game. I hate dashing towards loot to have a chance to get something new.
I also like that if I miss a rare or legendary engram, it appears in the Lost & Found at the Tower.

I also like that if I miss a rare or legendary engram, it appears in the Lost & Found at the Tower.
I thought that was only if it falls off a cliff or something? Someone tested it and missed an engram on purpose and it didn't show up there later. :/

I thought that was only if it falls off a cliff or something? Someone tested it and missed an engram on purpose and it didn't show up there later. :/
Not entirely sure as I never notice the ones I find in the Lost & Found. The chance at missing a Strange Coin, Mote of Light or the chance at a Legendary item isn't something I want to do, so I haven't actually tested it myself.

speaking of armor,

HOW do you get the necessary red funds to buy something in the vanguard armory?

it looks like "crucible" parts, but what is that? I saw the MP have crucible things but I don't see anywhere else?

I want some guns and I cant buy them with the "material" looking blue money, and I don't have any other funds

speaking of armor,

HOW do you get the necessary red funds to buy something in the vanguard armory?

it looks like "crucible" parts, but what is that? I saw the MP have crucible things but I don't see anywhere else?

I want some guns and I cant buy them with the "material" looking blue money, and I don't have any other funds
You get Vanguard Marks from Vanguard Strikes. They appear at level 16, but start at level 18 and go up to 24. There are also Daily/Weekly Challenges/Missions/Strikes/Whatever that give Marks, plus other stuff depending on difficulty.

To get reputation for other Vendors (New Monarchy, Future War Cult and Dead Orbit) require you to be level 20. Then buy their legendary class item that turns all rep gained into their reputation.

I read that Destiny shipped to stores $500 million in games. The cost of the game development and advertising is $500 million. I've read articles saying it's already broken even but that's actually unclear. Based on their press release they either sold 8.3 million copies (gross retail sales of 500 million) or 12.5 million (publisher actually getting 500 million ). In the former situation, Activision needs to ship millions more. In the latter, Activion has broken even so long as all these copies sell for $60 or they're able to sell millions more at lower prices.

Take these announcement with a grain of salt.

The only thing I hate so far is that there is no matchmaking to speak off in competitive multiplayer. How can a low level character even enjoy it if his paired to almost max people players. Can't even give out enough damage to dent my enemies. Sheesh. I'm just there to feed experience point to them. Tsk

[quote name="Blaster man" post="12090894" timestamp="1410621316"]I read that Destiny shipped to stores $500 million in games. The cost of the game development and advertising is $500 million. I've read articles saying it's already broken even but that's actually unclear. Based on their press release they either sold 8.3 million copies (gross retail sales of 500 million) or 12.5 million (publisher actually getting 500 million ). In the former situation, Activision needs to ship millions more. In the latter, Activion has broken even so long as all these copies sell for $60 or they're able to sell millions more at lower prices.

Take these announcement with a grain of salt.[/quote]

Considering its a new IP. That's already a success to break even. It already proved that an install base is possible. It'll get better.

Considering its a new IP. That's already a success to break even. It already proved that an install base is possible. It'll get better.
I literally just explained that they haven't broken even. I have no doubt that they will eventually but it may not happen until they've sold through an expansion or two.

The only thing I hate so far is that there is no matchmaking to speak off in competitive multiplayer. How can a low level character even enjoy it if his paired to almost max people players. Can't even give out enough damage to dent my enemies. Sheesh. I'm just there to feed experience point to them. Tsk
While there are some things that give people slight advantages, damage isn't one of them. Weapons of the same type cause the same amount of damage in regular Crucible regardless of level. This has been explained dozens of times here.

Bah, I finally got my first legendary engram and rushed back to the tower only to get a rare item 2 levels below my current one

Bah, I finally got my first legendary engram and rushed back to the tower only to get a rare item 2 levels below my current one
Could be worse. I bought my Exotic Gauntlet from the Strange Coin Vendor. Then the first Legendary Engram I got was a Legendary Gauntlet. Every other Legendary Engram after that has been Ascendent Energy or Blue Items.

I'm two Motes of Light away from buying the Exotic Chest Engram and chances are that when I identify it, it will be a blue item (Probably not possible, but the game will find a way) or Ascendent Energy/Shards. I will be pissed if that's the case.

Yes, there is matchmaking. It's based on skill, not level, for reasons others have pointed out.

I love and hate the grind of this game. Its nice to have to invest some time to get good gear, but damn you really need to invest time.

First raid comes out next week right? I really hope its good. If it flops then I could see a lot of people moving on.

Finally got my first legendary last night. Came from a blue engram. Too bad it's a Titan helmet and I'm a Warlock. To the stash you go!!

FYI, weekly strike is hard at lvl 20.  We tried with me at lvl 21, and two other lvl 20s, and didn't really have much of a shot.  I suggest everyone being at least 21, and probably 22+, to have a decent shot.

Fuuuuuuuuu. I bought my Exotic Engram from the NPC and while I got an Exotic Chest, it's for Titan and I'm a Warlock. It's a nice one though.

FYI, weekly strike is hard at lvl 20. We tried with me at lvl 21, and two other lvl 20s, and didn't really have much of a shot. I suggest everyone being at least 21, and probably 22+, to have a decent shot.
Correct. Most enemies are armored, so you want to be level 22 to be able to do 100% damage. Plus you'll receive less damage, not that you can tell much due to the fact their damage is increased because of the random multiplier.

Bring Arc based weapons if at all possible. Helps immensely.

You can only get 100 vanguard marks a week and theres gear that costs 125 and 150 vanguard marks, wtf bungie?

bread's done
Back