Destroyed my music library, need help!

st0neface

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I mainly just stick to the OTT these days, and I already posed my problem there, but this situation warrants as many views as I can get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='st0neface']So this is kind of embarrassing. Whilst enjoying some "col' ones" the other night, I was messing around with Songbird and was trying to get it to actively monitor my music library, but instead reorganized it. Now everything's been moved to folders based on artist, even though some of my tags were wrong, leaving all the old folders there, along with album art and whatever else was in the folder behind. This has fucked up all my torrents too, as an added bonus.

So what I'm trying to figure out, is there an easy way to un-fuck this situation? I know I won't be able to get everything back just how it was, but is there a program that can help me remedy the bulk of the situation, so I don't have to manually go through 80 gigs of music and do it file by file? I've heard mp3tag can be used to organize by ID3 tags, which thankfully weren't touched. I'd be pretty happy if I could just get a folder per album. Any thoughts/advice on this matter?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='georox']*points and laughs*

Also, I wouldn't say things about torrents.. piracy is looked down upon here...[/QUOTE]

Cool tattoo, bro! How much did it cost?!

[quote name='georox']*points and laughs*

Also, I wouldn't say things about torrents.. piracy is looked down upon here...[/QUOTE]
Cool tattoo, bro.

Thanks georox, but I'll say what the fuck I wanna say I've been here long enough that I know what I can and can't say. So anybody with any knowledge in this area have anything useful to say?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']try tag & rename. ive had a couple friends use it for their terribly organized collections[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll look into this.
---

Has anyone used MusicBrainz Picard? Seems like it could be a good solution to accurately tag the files even I hadn't before I screwed everything up.

Yeah, whenever I get an album I run it through Picard first and have their online database tag it and after that I bring it into MP3tag and embed a 500x500 or higher cover art image and have it rename the files based on the ID3 tag. I also make a folder with Artist - Year - Album format to put the files in so that they show up how I like them in Windows Explorer.

Whoa, I did the first step in what you linked me to earlier (http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=9084#entry35930 for those that are interested) After there was at least some order to the library again, I was going to do exactly what you posted.

Step one was a resounding success. Seems like I'll have an even better organized library after this is all said and done. Thanks to all for their help, and thanks to georox for showing me how truly awesome a tattoo can be.

I just copy my entire music library's parent folder onto an external HDD everytime I add music to it. Then if you have a fuckup, you can restore it easy enough, maintain your folder structure and/or filenames, and I'm pretty sure programs like iTunes would be none the wiser since your files are still in the same places with the same names that it reflects in the XML library file.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Yeah, whenever I get an album I run it through Picard first and have their online database tag it and after that I bring it into MP3tag and embed a 500x500 or higher cover art image and have it rename the files based on the ID3 tag. I also make a folder with Artist - Year - Album format to put the files in so that they show up how I like them in Windows Explorer.[/QUOTE]

At first I was going to say that's a lot of work just to organize music but then I realized I do the same thing except I never knew about Picard. At the end I also run everything through MP3Gain so the volume for all songs are equal.

I have an oddball way of organizing my music. I use a specific filename format (artist, then initials of album, two digit track name with d# for multiple discs, song number, song name). So "Pink Floyd - TWd107 - Goodbye Blue Sky.mp3" is the 7th song off the first disc of The Wall. It keeps everything organized very well and I can find a file fast if I need to.

Then I just dump all my artists into folders from A-Z. Never liked having to have hundreds upon hundreds of folders for music, with image files in every folder. Just a few root level folders with everything lumped into them, and all art embedded.

bread's done
Back