Destroyed PS3; options?

gpgorbosjr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So, I bought a PS3 on Black Friday. One of the Super Slims.

Don't want to go into details, but by no fault of my own, it is now in pretty poor condition....

I got it back from a friend who borrowed it with no hard drive cover, two "straightening iron" burns on the top lid and it apparently doesn't read discs anymore. -______-.

What are my options? I'm scared to even bother calling Sony to fix it, and will Gamestop even take it with a refurb fee?

i will give ya 20 bucks for it. ya know, if nothing else comes from it.

sorry to hear about the mess caused by a friend...

Sony might be able to help you out... They use any PS3 you send them for parts anyway and send you a referbished PS3, so maybe they'd still do it if you ask and tell them exactly what happened. (They don't take opened systems, so if you did ever open it that's not an option, but replacing the HDD doesn't count) I don't know if Gamestop would take it, but I seriously doubt it. The only other option would be to sell it for parts on ebay.

I'd try to get your friend to buy you a new one since they're the ones that broke it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I might try and fix it myself but I don't even want it now. It's ugly. Also might try and make my friend throw me $100 for it and let them keep it.

EDIT: I'll post pics when I get home. It looked like someone....I don't know....it is just ravaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
GameStop should take it like is(I am unsure if they will charge a refurb fee though). I personally know that they will take systems that will no read discs, because my friend took his slim PS3 to them and got full trade in for it. Another friend also took a YLOD PS3 to them as well, but I don't know if they charged him a refurb fee.

The best bet would be to call Sony and ask since it should still be under warranty.

Sounds like someone owes you a PS3. And this time, don't let anyone borrow it.

Eh, it is a really complicated situation which is why I left details to a minimum. I would've just not mentioned a friend did it but I don't want to develop the reputation as a console abuser on the forums lol.

yeah I'd tell my "friend" that they just bought themselves a broken PS3 and ask for a replacement. Gamestop will probably take it but will take a good amount away since it doesn't work, I traded in my old fat PS3 when it stopped reading disks when they had a console trade in promo and they took away like $40

yeah I'd tell my "friend" that they just bought themselves a broken PS3 and ask for a replacement. Gamestop will probably take it but will take a good amount away since it doesn't work, I traded in my old fat PS3 when it stopped reading disks when they had a console trade in promo and they took away like $40
I agree. Idk how complicated the situation is but I'd ask em to at least to cover whatever cost if you opt to trade to GameStop and buy a new one.

Curling iron? Geeze, I hope your situation works out for ya, I'm curious to see the condition now.

Eh, it is a really complicated situation which is why I left details to a minimum. I would've just not mentioned a friend did it but I don't want to develop the reputation as a console abuser on the forums lol.
You slept with his sister, didn't you?

Warm lol.

Probably his friends girlfiend? or hopefully not his friends wife. Tsk!

Anyway, hope u can sort it out dude.

He never said the friend was a dude - he's banged, is banging, or wants to bang her is my guess.

You could always try to sell it on Craigslist or something - not sure if you can get replacement parts/cases for the super slim yet.

yeah, I really like how this thread is so unassuming but then as each detail comes out it becomes more and more interesting...

but OP, good luck fixing it. I'm rooting for you!

bread's done
Back